Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Strategies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Pulsation
The Classy Vet

Location: At the far end of town where the grickle-grass grows.
Pulsation is on a distinguished road
Default The Official Wind-Up Guide and Discussion [I]

Hello, pojo. It's your friendly neighborhood Pulsation bringing you my guide and discussion on my favorite archetype, Wind-Ups. This archetype, I believe, has incredible potential (especially with the release of Photon Shockwave) and here's my guide to playing them competitively.
Now, I'll be going through all the Xyz cards slated for release in the next two sets. Prepare yourself.

_

Table of Contents: Press Ctrl+F to find an individual part in this discussion.
_
Part I: Cards
Part II: Playstyle and how they work
Part III: Strengths
Part IV: Weaknesses
Part V: Conclusion
__

Part I: Cards

Quote:
Wind-Up Bat
300/350
Level 1/WIND/Winged Beast/Effect:
Once, while this card is face-up on the field, you can select 1 face-up Attack Position monster you control and flip it to face-down Defense Position. Then, add 1 "Wind-Up" monster from your Graveyard to your hand.
Hmmm. Hmmmmmmmmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
You know, I'm of two minds about this card. For one, great revival and good for effect re-usage. But it's very weak. I'd use it to flip itself down and grab a wind-up, to be honest.

Run 0-2, based on preference.

Quote:
Wind-Up Dog
1200/900
Level 3/EARTH/Beast/Effect:
Once, while this card is face-up on the field, you can activate this card's effect during the Main Phase. If you do, this card gains 600 ATK, and its Level is increased by 2 until the End Phase.
Very solid beater and, with two of them, makes an easy rank 5 exceed. Run 3.

Quote:
Wind-Up Hunter
1600/500
Level 3/DARK/Beast-Warrior/Effect:
Once, while this card is face-up on the field, you can Tribute 1 "Wind-Up" monster you control, except "Wind-Up Hunter", to send 1 random card from your opponent's hand to the Graveyard.
Not a bad card, in my opinion. For one tribute, you can exhaust some of your opponent's resources. The tribute could even be a used wind-up.
Run 0-2. It all depends on preference and, depending on your build, could be terrible to meh.

Quote:
Wind-Up Juggler
1700/1000
Level 4/WIND/Psychic/Effect:
If this card battles with your opponent's monster, you can destroy that monster after damage calculation. This effect can only be used once while this card is face-up on the field.
Very nice effect, in my opinion. Take out what you can with it, and then when they summon something big ram it into it to take it out.
However, by popular vote, it seems this isn't amazing. While good on paper, it's a one-of in the main or side.

Quote:
Wind-Up Kitten
800/500
Level 2/EARTH/Beast/Effect:
Activate only during your Main Phase. Select 1 monster your opponent controls and return it to its owner's hand. This effect can only be used once while this card is face-up on the field.
Kitten, kitten, kitten. The adorable little troll of the deck. Summon him and he's an insta-bounce - save him for just when they summon something that if they had to try again would disrupt a strategy, or when you're about to attack for game and there's that one monster in the way. Do I even need to say how many to run? 3, of course.

Quote:
Wind-Up Knight
1800/1200
Level 4/LIGHT/Warrior/Effect:
Once, while this card is face-up on the field, when a face-up "Wind-Up" monster you control is selected as an attack target, you can negate that attack.
Not too shabby. He'll protect one of your monsters for a turn, unless your opponent attacks it more than once. But he's still a solid beater, which without boosts we sort of lack.
Run anywhere from 1-3 based on your deck and playstyle.

Quote:
Wind-Up Magician
600/1800
Level 4/FIRE/Spellcaster/Effect
When the effect of a "Wind-Up" monster activates, except "Wind-Up Magician", you can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Wind-Up" monster from your Deck. This effect can only be activated once while this card is face-up on the field.
Oh.
My.
Lord.
This card is amazing for this deck. Activate an effect and hi, instant exceed!
He provides swarm and toolboxing. Run three in any variant and any deck.

Quote:
Wind-Up Snail
100/2000
Level 2/WATER/Aqua/Effect
Once during your Main Phase, while this card is face-up on the field, you can select 1 Set card on the field. Return the selected card to its owner's hand.
Pretty good. I haven't seen this run in many builds, but I run 2 and it works great. Solid defenses and can bounce your opponent's scary f/ds or your weaker facedowns that you've flipped. Any way, he's good.

Run 0, or 2-3. Those are the quantities I've seen it run in and all of them work.

Quote:
Wind-Up Soldier
1800/1200
Level 4/EARTH/Warrior/Effect:
During your Main Phase, you can activate this card's effect. Until the End Phase, this card gains 400 ATK, and its Level is increased by 1. This effect can only be activated once while this card is face-up on the field.
Hmm. Yeah. It's good. It's a beater which we lack, and helps with making rank 5 exceeds (cough Tiras.) Run 0-3. It's all up to you and your preferences.

Quote:
Wind-Up Warrior
1200/1800
Level 4/EARTH/Warrior/Effect
Once, while this card is face-up on the field, you can select 1 face-up "Wind-Up" monster you control. Until the End Phase, that monster's Level increases by 1 and it gains 600 ATK.
Very solid. Can make beaters bigger or weaklings beaters, all while increasing level flexibility which is good for synchro-ing and Exceed-ing.
Run 3.

Quote:
Overwound Spring
Spell/Normal
Activate by selecting 1 "Wind-Up" monster in your Graveyard. Special Summon the selected monster in face-up Defense Position. The monster Special Summoned by this effect has its effects negated, and cannot be Tributed or be used as a Synchro Material Monster.
Pretty good if you need that one monster for an exceed summon but can be dead in the hand. Run anywhere from 0-3.

Quote:
Legendary Wind-Up
Spell/Quick-Play
Flip all face-up "Wind-Up" monsters you control into face-down Defense Position.
Really good for effect re-usage and saying in your face to things like battle damage and Mirror Force. Run 3.

Quote:
Wind-Up Factory
Spell/Continuous
When the effect of a "Wind-Up" monster is activated, you can add 1 Level 4 or lower "Wind-Up" monster from your Deck to your hand. This effect can only be used once per turn.
Yeah, basically a once-per-turn Black Whirlwind. Obviously run 3, it's great toolboxing.

Quote:
Over Wrench
Trap/Normal
Select 1 face-up "Wind-Up" monster. Double its ATK and DEF. Return it to the hand during the End Phase of this turn. Only 1 "Over Wrench" can be activated per turn.
To be honest, looks to be another one of those "good on paper" cards. I mean, yeah, I guess returning to hand is nice and it's a cool boost, but we have other cards to do that that're better and off-theme.

0 if you hate it, but it might not hurt to tech 1.

Quote:
Spring Rewinding
Trap/Normal

[hide] English
Select 1 face-up Level 4 or lower "Wind-Up" monster you control and return it to the hand, and Special Summon 1 "Wind-Up" monster with the same Level as the returned monster from your hand.
Not bad, but honestly there are other cards that do this just as well. 0-2 based on preference and the amount of space you have.

Quote:
Wind-Up Zenmaister
1900/1500
Rank 4/EARTH/Machine/Xyz/Effect:
2 Level 4 monsters
This cards gains 300 ATK for each of its Xyz Materials. Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to select 1 face-up monster on the field that you control. Flip that monster into face-down Defense Position. During the End Phase, the selected monster is flipped into face-up Attack Position.
Gold for this archetype AND IT'S A RANK 4. Run no less than three of this, as it makes this deck good.

__ Off-Theme Cards:____

Well, basically anything that returns cards to the hand, but I'll go in-depth on which ones do that best.

Quote:
Genex Ally Birdman
1400/400
Level 3/DARK/Machine/Tuner:
You can return 1 face-up monster you control to the hand to Special Summon this card from your hand, and this card gains 500 ATK if it was a WIND monster you returned. If this card is Special Summoned with this effect, remove it from play when it is removed from the field.
Very good in this deck. It allows you to special summon it while returning a monster to hand, which we need to do to re-use effects. It's better than some in-theme cards that do this because you don't lose field advantage while returning it to the hand.

Run 3 in a synchro build (which, for now, is the better one), and it's a nice tech otherwise at 0-1.

Quote:
Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
200/100
Level 2/LIGHT/Beast/Effect:
FLIP: You can destroy 1 card on the field. Send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.
Its effects don't mesh particularly well with this deck, but it's a prime target for the next card I'm going to share. Run 0 or 2, Because you don't draw it enough at one and at three it can clog the hand or waste too many resources through milling.

Quote:
Super-Nimble Mega Hamster
1100/1800
Level 4/EARTH/Beast/Effect:
FLIP: You can Special Summon 1 Level 3 or lower Beast-Type monster from your Deck in face-down Defense Position.
Works well with Ryko and dog, but if you don't run ryko cut this out. If you do run ryko, run 2 of this.

Quote:
Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite
1600/1000
Level 4/DARK/Winged Beast/Effect:
If this card is in the Graveyard, you can return 1 face-up card you control to the hand to Special Summon this card from your Graveyard, and take 400 damage. Each player can only use the effect of "Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite" once per Duel.
He's like the birdman of the graveyard - return a monster for re-usage later without losing field advantage. Shame you can only use him once. But run 1.

All I can think of for now, if you have suggestions post them.
___

Part II: Playstyle and how they work

As you may have guessed, the wind-up monsters each have one good effect that they can use once while they're on the field. This deck is about abusing those effects by returning to the hand, flipping face down, and et cetera. It works pretty well for things like exceed summoning and exhausting your opponent's resources trying to stop it or with said good effects.

___

Part III: Strengths

I'd say our one main strength is our flexibility. We can do really anything, and then because of our extensive support we can do it again. We can be stopped, but our opponents waste valuable resources doing so. We've also got easy access to some really good Xyz Monsters, namely ranks 4 and 5, which is very nice if we want to make up for our lack of beaters, which I'll get to in part 4. Also, if you include birdman (which you should) because of our level fluctuation abilities we can toolbox through some powerful synchros (such as stardust) as well, while returning our used wind-ups to the hand for reusage later through the cost of birdman.

___

Part IV: Weaknesses

I'd say our main weakness is that we can be slow. If we don't draw right, we can be done from the very beginning because we can't outdo our opponents. We can put up a fight, but it requires good draws to win with this deck right now. Another weakness we have is the lack of beaters and bosses. Sure, this weakness is made up for when we synchro and Xyz summon, but if somehow we're prevented from doing so it won't be hard for our opponents to sweep through our lacking defenses and offenses. Therefore, it's really important to go for a synchro or Xyz whenever you can.
___

Part V: Conclusion

In conclusion, I'd just like to say give this archetype a try. It's really fun, really flexible, and like I said before it's got a lot of potential. And if you do try it, stick with it. Who knows what we might find and maybe, just maybe, we'll be tier 1 one day if Konami throws us a bone and releases some really good support past Photon Shockwave.

Discuss away!

~Pulsation

[Heroes] [Agents] [Wind-Ups]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haid_D'Salami View Post
I believe you're a rainbow-colored pony.

Last edited by Pulsation : 07-07-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Black-Buster-Soldier
Fish Stabbing Vet

Black-Buster-Soldier is on a distinguished road

Subbing, OP needs some off theme cards listed that work good in the deck, along with a more in depth analysis of the strengths and weakness.

Lancer Frogs .dek
Old 07-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Mikebuck
Pojo Veteran

Mikebuck is on a distinguished road

I dont agree with alot of what you said about the monsters, wind-up juggler is terrible, a side deck at the most if you cant get past their marshmallons and spirit reapers (Juggler has to live for his effect to work)

I also think wind-up bat should be run in 0 or 2 only, run him in 2 if his effect works on himself, flip him facedown and grab a wind-up monster

EDIT: Maybe juggler could be in the deck but only 1! Then you can toolbox him out of the deck with wind-up factory which should be at 3 if you ask me

Additional Comment:

As for off theme cards like Black-Buster-Soldier asked for...
Genex Ally Birdman would work. Bounce them to hand then re-summon to get effects again. Could even go for synchro but i personally will not be doing any synchro summoning in this deck.

Double Summon might work. Wind-up factory will keep the hand full of wind-ups to make the most use of Double Summon.

I do have 1 question though, if i have 2-3 Wind-up factories on the field... when i use a wind-up's effect can I search 2-3 wind-ups from the deck and add them to my hand?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Mikebuck : 07-04-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Flamecircle
Pojo Veteran

Flamecircle is on a distinguished road

I disagree with running 3s of cards that will minus you, like overwound spring. Better to run Dimensional Prison if you need the protection.

Also, Wind up Factory must be played in 3s. It is an archtype specific version of Black Whirlwind- too good to ignore.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Mikebuck
Pojo Veteran

Sorry for the triple post but i thought of another tech card for the deck (Before photon shockwave comes out)

Gravekeeper's Spy (for the easy level 4 exceed.)
Could run 2x Gravekeeper's Spy or 3x spy and 1x Gravekeeper's Descendant.
What do you guys think?
Also i think this is a deck that would benefit from a big trap line-up.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamecircle View Post
I disagree with running 3s of cards that will minus you, like overwound spring. Better to run Dimensional Prison if you need the protection.

Also, Wind up Factory must be played in 3s. It is an archtype specific version of Black Whirlwind- too good to ignore.
I agree with this poster.
Also Overwrench is a rather bad card, run shrink instead if you must.

Last edited by Mikebuck : 07-04-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Flamecircle
Pojo Veteran

GK's are a good idea, as they work with Zenimaster. Might as well take the idea further and play Birdman as well!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Mikebuck
Pojo Veteran

I guess, but then if you want to keep flipping spies you need quite a few GK's, which means less wind-ups which makes factory worse.
Im really bad at decklists but could someone make a decklist that uses wind-ups, 2 spies and 3 wind-up factories and maybe Double Summon?

Additional Comment:

Well this thread is dead already haha!
Is there little interest into this arch-type?
I think they have quite alot of potential

Last edited by Mikebuck : 07-04-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Flamecircle
Pojo Veteran

Double summon is generally unnecessary. Deck list should be pretty easy-

3 Soldier
3 Magician
3 Warrior
2-3 bat
1 kitten
2-3 Knight
0-2 dog
2 spy

Roughly 18 monsters

3 Factory
2 MST
1 Dark Hole
1 Monster Reborn
1 Trunade
1 Book
2 Pot of Avarice
11 spells

1 TT
1 Mirror Force
2 DPris
1 Compulse
1 solemn
2 warning

and that's more or less a decent deck. It'll hit 4&5 xyz fairly easily. Personally though, I'd really like to include birdman.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
Mikebuck
Pojo Veteran

I think at the moment we should use the cards in generation force, not photon shockwave because that is a long way away

Additional Comment:

I think you need more traps in that line-up as well, 3 dimnesional prisons, 2 bottomless traps holes as well would be good.

Last edited by Mikebuck : 07-04-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Flamecircle
Pojo Veteran

I didn't actually fill out 40 cards. That up there is only 37ish.

I included Photon Shockwave stuff because there just aren't all that many Mainsprings in the first place, and I didn't want to put in mediocre ones like snail and juggler.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
Pulsation
The Classy Vet

Snail's been testing really well for me .-.

I'll add offtheme cards and more in-depth analyses tomorrow. I'm on my iPhone now and was rushed today.

I might be seeing cards as better than they are. There are some I haven't tested and the "numbers to run" on them were just theory-ohs. I'm no complete expert, just a dedicated enthusiast.

Quote:
Old 07-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
Mikebuck
Pojo Veteran

Flmaecircle, Snail is actually working very well for alot of people, but you are correct, juggler is terrible because it has to survive the battle.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
Black-Buster-Soldier
Fish Stabbing Vet

Does DMG have all the support on it? I might have time to actually be on tonight and I'm hoping to be able to test, if not, I'll check into something else [KCVDS maybe?] If somebody knows right off a way I can test with all the support let me know.

Lancer Frogs .dek
Old 07-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
Mikebuck
Pojo Veteran

i think until photon shockwave we should run 3 of each wind-up except juggler which should be run in 0 or 1, and only fetch it with wind-up factory if there is a Spirit Reaper or Marshmallon in the way etc
Old 07-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #15
Pulsation
The Classy Vet

I do think that DN has all GENF support on it. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
Black-Buster-Soldier
Fish Stabbing Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulsation View Post
I do think that DN has all GENF support on it. I could be wrong though.
I think Dn and DMG [I think they changed the name lol] have the GENF support, but DN has no Xyz monsters on it, which makes me sort of sad.

Lancer Frogs .dek
Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #17
Unknown Outcast
Banifish Vet

Unknown Outcast is on a distinguished road

Stupid Wind-Ups >.> another arch-type that i'm interested in...i'll start testing a build to see if they are anything I might enjoy. Do you think we should try synchros in this deck? with dog being a 3 or 5 it could let you get a wide verity.

Gallery of the Unknown
Old 07-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #18
Black-Buster-Soldier
Fish Stabbing Vet

I honestly don't think we should give up on Synchro's, they're still incredibly easy to summon, and there just aren't enough Xyz monsters yet to justify not using any synchro.

Lancer Frogs .dek
Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #19
Flamecircle
Pojo Veteran

Agreed. Birdman is a good tech, reusing effects and such.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #20
Pulsation
The Classy Vet

You know what's good in this? Birdman.

I'll post my build and update the guide once my PC is fixed. The dude fixing it is being really slow. -.-"

Quote:
Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #21
Black-Buster-Soldier
Fish Stabbing Vet

Birdman does what the deck needs. It helps us re use our effects, and take advantage of our monsters ability to change levels. Birdman with dog being 3 or 5, we can hit level 6 and 8 with ease, meaning easy Brio, Stardust, Scrap Dragon etc.

Lancer Frogs .dek
Old 07-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #22
Pulsation
The Classy Vet

And that is why he's good.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #23
Mikebuck
Pojo Veteran

Fair enough, birdman does work really well in the deck, 2 or 3 birdman?

I just wanted to focus on Xyz summoning mainly, i guess the odd synchro wouldnt hurt, although im missing most the staple synchros haha
Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #24
Pulsation
The Classy Vet

Run triple birdman and a healthy mix of synchs/Xyzs.

Quote:
Old 07-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #25
Mikebuck
Pojo Veteran

Might do, but as more cards are released i will phase synchros out, because we all know that eventually these Xyz monsters effects will get better and better
Closed Thread