Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh Anime Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Strike Noir
Cigar Society

Strike Noir is on a distinguished road
Default ZeXal, Demographics, and why it sucks

It's easy to say that we're too old to be watching YGO or that we're not Konami's and NAS's "target audience," but if we're not then who the hell is? I know that like 70% of the world's weird stuff comes from Japan but even the young kids over there can't think Yuma is cool.

Zexal is an unwatchable, low quality, cliche pile of excrement that robs your soul of any enjoyment you've ever known and has less plot points than an episode of "iCarly."

I'm going to assume that Zexal's target audience is for the 13 and under age group. When I was around 11 I watched the YGO anime and thought Yami Yugi was one of the most baddest mofo's to ever grace my television second only to the holy trinity of anime awesome that was Vegeta, Spike Spiegel from "Cowboy Bebop," and Kaneda from "Akira," (which Yusei and 5D's were based on). My point is that kids think guys like these are cool. They want to be the cool bounty hunter guy with an afro and over the top muscles that doesn't look at explosions and who impresses the hot girl by yelling, "Big Bang Attack!" while doing motorcycle kung-fu on psychic former best friends that want to start an apocalypse in an already post-apocalyptic world.

Like the former president of 4Kids, Al Khan, the producers at NAS and the other suits that were responsible for this Zexal abomination are out of touch with reality and have failed to realize that children want to emulate and imitate people who they view as awesome. This is why Shonen anime like Bleach is so successful despite its mediocrity. Their philosophy is that kids want to watch shows about other kids. Except that if the main character is a scrawny, socially awkward loser that has a learning disorder, tourettes, and AIDS, and with other fat loser friends who get bullied everyday just like they do then the show will be more appealing. Do they really think young Japanese kids can relate to Yuma??? Is this seriously their business model? And why does it look like the concept artists watched too many episodes of "Cubix: Robots for Everyone?" And hypothetically, even if the appearance (ewww) and personalities of Zexal's viewers were comparable to Yuma's, why would any of those people want to watch a show about themselves? If anything they would try to do everything they can to escape the monotony and terribleness of their lives by watching someone else actually do something cool.

In my opinion, "Pokemon: Best Wishes" got it right. It's beyond me why NAS and Konami felt they had to access that demographic grab a piece of the kiddie pie, but I wish they hadn't tried to imitate Vanguard straight up, because Vanguard is bad. Even with Pokemon's reboot, what they got right while still appealing to kids was first to have a main cast of likable characters. There isn't anyone awfully annoying and there's good chemistry in the group. Next, the quality only keeps getting better, well by Pokemon standards (it's no Production I.G. product). Then, the staff got rid of the old formula of Ash and crew helping random person with a Problem of the Week and Team Rocket blasting off in some ******ed robot. Then, the show moves at a much faster pace and for once there's character development for more than 2 or 3 people/Pokemon, at a rate of every other episode (which is an accomplishment). Finally, wait for it... there's an over-arching subplot! Whoa, inorite? We knew who the bad guys were and their goals from the first episode. And in the end, it's all still easily accessible to kids.

It's episode 5 at the time of this post, and Zexal has none of this with no sign of it getting better. The opening has some gay clown with razor hair and sword thing clashing with Yuma and that scientist from "Back to the Future" that hints at potential villains, but it's still all so poorly executed and bad.

I hope Generation Force sells less packs than Cyberdark Impact. Thanks for reading.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Terrorking
Helmsmashin'

Terrorking is just really niceTerrorking is just really niceTerrorking is just really niceTerrorking is just really nice

Good on ya mate.

PGX: The Antagonist:||:Friend Code is 001823151666

http://i.imgur.com/densRVt.gif
Old 05-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Yami_Xieon

Yami_Xieon is on a distinguished road

To look at the "target audience" lets look at how our world is being pulled in two polar directions.

On one hand we have the loss of liberties, and critical thinking, and having it replaced with sex, drugs, violence, etc. On the other hand, we're living in a world that's afraid of everyone. Basically that end of society is being turned into a bunch of wimps.

Either side isn't right, but sadly the middle is growing smaller.

Lets look at Bleach, pretty violent, but even Kubo refuses to kill off a good character.

So even if you get a show like Bleach, being pulled towards one direction, it's not going to be evenly distributed back to the middle, it's going to have some aspects on one extreme, and some on the other.

I know it's not really talking about the audience, but more the perception of how the audience would react, but I would assume that it has a part to play, sorry if it didn't make much sense.

****My Have/Want List ****
Trade or Cash - All offers will be looked at, and always willing to work something out.
Have: Getting my Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier back!
Looking For: Black Rose Dragon - Stardust Dragon - Dark Magician Girl

Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Bawb
Living in 2004

Bawb is on a distinguished road

You realize only 5 episodes have been released, right? While everyone's surely entitled to an opinion, I'd say at the least you're being hasty and fanboyish, automatically writing ZEXAL off within the first 5 episodes. I, for one, enjoy ZEXAL and can see myself keeping up with it in the foreseeable future. I like the characters, Yuma's supposed to be annoying (at least for now), and while starting as total a badass surely adds a layer of total badassness, I'd argue that starting as a weak, annoying-yet-redeemable character adds some layer of development and connection to the viewer that being a badass does not. And hey, it's not like they're dueling on motorbikes
Old 05-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
Superwheel
Pojo Veteran

Superwheel is on a distinguished road

Yugioh zexal just started and it's a bad series? Really?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
NxtGen21
Pojo Veteran

NxtGen21 is on a distinguished road

Yuma is the same thing as Jaden in the beginning in GX. He will learn the game better later on and will come to mature. Give it time.

my channel - beginner at it so no flaming please
http://www.youtube.com/user/N0VABLAD3?feature=mhee

MY NEW CUSTOM PLAY MAT

Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Kaji Tsukino

Kaji Tsukino is on a distinguished road

Come on, I dare ANYONE to say (except cohen the fanboy) to write down that an least one of this episodes are any good, srsly, they are too slow, every damn duel is a 2 parter that only demonstrates that Yuma sucks harder and harder each week, that he is an a-hole unwilling to improve his dueling skills or... himself in general.
Yeah, 5D's had cardgames on motorcycles, but go and watch the first 5 episodes and tell me they are as boring as this piece of crap. Seriously, even the 2 first season Judai is better than Yuma! At least he is respected by his friends and know how to play the damn game!!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
63cohen
Pojo Veteran

63cohen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaji Tsukino View Post
Come on, I dare ANYONE to say (except cohen the fanboy) to write down that an least one of this episodes are any good, srsly, they are too slow, every damn duel is a 2 parter that only demonstrates that Yuma sucks harder and harder each week, that he is an a-hole unwilling to improve his dueling skills or... himself in general.
Yeah, 5D's had cardgames on motorcycles, but go and watch the first 5 episodes and tell me they are as boring as this piece of crap. Seriously, even the 2 first season Judai is better than Yuma! At least he is respected by his friends and know how to play the damn game!!
These episodes act as buffer zones, and are well needed. Yuma has already been shown as an idiot, do you expect him to take on Kaito right away? Shark served no real threat, but Kaito seems to be more menacing, even if only shown in manga content noncanon. Yuma needs to develop the relationship with Astral, and Astral needs to become more affluate with the human culture.

The episodes might not be as well as you might like, but they follow basic story lines that seem to be easy to follow and have duels that are easy to follow. In addition, the episodes add to Yuma's experience with Astral. He learned only in the anime that Astral needs to be there for him to have Numbers. The manga skipped over that whole duel.

But yes, 5 episodes is a good amount of time to start dropping like flies. My response to those who drop is to have a nice landing, as you might want to come back up.

ΑΕΠ, Brothers For Life
Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
Strike Noir
Cigar Society

Strike Noir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawb View Post
I'd argue that starting as a weak, annoying-yet-redeemable character adds some layer of development and connection to the viewer that being a badass does not. And hey, it's not like they're dueling on motorbikes
Fair enough and it's perfectly fine for them to have gone the route of the "lovable loser" type of character who the audience will root for, but it was poorly done. Yuma doesn't have any kind of substance or motivations for being an idiot. Naruto started off that way as a character and it's been 10+ years with him still kicking. But Zexal doesn't have any other factor aside from the lovable loser gimmick that can hook a new viewer and keep them interested. Also look at it from the perspective of a kid who's never seen YGO before and jumps right into episode 3. I doubt they would watch it consistently because it isn't engaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superwheel View Post
Um, yeah. 5 episodes is more than enough time to become interesting, especially when there are superior shows to be watching and other fads that can grab the attention of that same market. A lot of anime like "Ga Rei: Zero," "Gundam: The 8th MS Team," and "High School of the Dead" actually wrap up by episode 12. So yes, 5 episodes is enough time. "Fooly Cooly" only had six and was amazing. What it comes down to is the quality of writing and direction. It doesn't take a 150+ episode series to develop a one-dimensional relationship like Yuma's and Astral's.

Last edited by Strike Noir : 05-10-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #10
Jessie

Jessie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superwheel View Post
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen21 View Post
Yuma is the same thing as Jaden in the beginning in GX. He will learn the game better later on and will come to mature. Give it time.
Jaden broke my first impression and I never liked it since. I skipped to the Yubel fight and couldn't stand the main characters still that I just gave up immediately. ZeXal is worse than GX from what I've seen so far. Only reason I'm giving ZeXal a chance still is because idk if there is anymore main characters or if the current ones will be ...disposed of (Bottomless Trap Hole's Yuma). Problem fixed. (Sets Yami Yugi in this time era) Problem improved.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
Kaji Tsukino

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohenmarioman View Post
These episodes act as buffer zones, and are well needed. Yuma has already been shown as an idiot, do you expect him to take on Kaito right away? Shark served no real threat, but Kaito seems to be more menacing, even if only shown in manga content noncanon. Yuma needs to develop the relationship with Astral, and Astral needs to become more affluate with the human culture.

The episodes might not be as well as you might like, but they follow basic story lines that seem to be easy to follow and have duels that are easy to follow. In addition, the episodes add to Yuma's experience with Astral. He learned only in the anime that Astral needs to be there for him to have Numbers. The manga skipped over that whole duel.

But yes, 5 episodes is a good amount of time to start dropping like flies. My response to those who drop is to have a nice landing, as you might want to come back up.
I clearly stated that your fanboishness is not required because this show clearly sucks ass
Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
Bawb
Living in 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike Noir View Post
Fair enough and it's perfectly fine for them to have gone the route of the "lovable loser" type of character who the audience will root for, but it was poorly done. Yuma doesn't have any kind of substance or motivations for being an idiot. Naruto started off that way as a character and it's been 10+ years with him still kicking. But Zexal doesn't have any other factor aside from the lovable loser gimmick that can hook a new viewer and keep them interested. Also look at it from the perspective of a kid who's never seen YGO before and jumps right into episode 3. I doubt they would watch it consistently because it isn't engaging.only had six and was amazing.
I see where you're coming from, and I'd agree with you if they hadn't thought up Astral. I find that the smart, cool-headed, strategic personality of Astral contrasting with Yuma keeps the show interesting, at least for now. If Yuma doesn't do some wising up soon, however, I can see how his character (even with Astral's contrast) can get very tired.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
63cohen
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
I clearly stated that your fanboishness is not required because this show clearly sucks ass
A response like this is why people don't take Pojo seriously.

I made points, if you aren't going to refute them but make fun of them, GTFO it and stop.

ΑΕΠ, Brothers For Life
Old 05-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
Superwheel
Pojo Veteran

Superwheel is on a distinguished road

Yugioh Zexal does not suck people.

I could give reasons of why it doesn't suck but I don't have time now.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
Overlap
Pojo Veteran

Overlap is on a distinguished road

There's no reason that the first five episodes of any show can't be interesting. So far, not liking very much about the new series. Even ignoring how annoying Yuma is almost everything about this show is alienating and/or offensive to the senses. The only things I do like are Astral and the fact that he absorbs Numbers for Yuma's deck, very reminiscent of Battle City, but all the while I keep wishing that Astral was the main character instead, and Yuma could be the "Joey", only a lot less cooler obviously. I sincerely hope the show gets better since I don't wanna wait a few years for the next Yugioh series, if I'm even still interesed in the franchise by then.

And what does "Pop Flying" mean? Is that a cultural thing I'm not getting, or some phrase that has a deeper meaning, or something (stupid) the writers made up so the MC had a catch phrase that they could put on t shirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
They (Dragon Rulers) should've been Level 9. We'd only be dealing with space flowers and evil dragons, not planes and floating eyeballs.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #16
Terrorking
Helmsmashin'

Terrorking is just really niceTerrorking is just really niceTerrorking is just really niceTerrorking is just really nice

@Cohenmarioman, I will reply to you if you don't mind.

Quote:
These past two episodes were not needed. The first two episodes already established the points you say these recent two did:

a) Yuma does not listen to Astral
b) Astral understands very little about humans/the human world
c) Yuma cannot duel well
d) Kotori doesn't know anything about the game

Basically, episodes 3-4 did absolutely nothing. These past two episodes are simply filler. They will have no bearing on the plot whatsoever. Astral and Yuma's relationship has not changed at all in episode 3-4.

Quote:
Most people don't like these episodes because they were not needed. The first 15 minutes of episode 3 was just Yuma and friends di*king around. These needless two-parters don't stack up to a one-episode duel of the other Yugioh series. In the end, this teacher is likely to never affect the plot in any way again, and the new student will only be seen in the background.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike Noir View Post
Um, yeah. 5 episodes is more than enough time to become interesting, especially when there are superior shows to be watching and other fads that can grab the attention of that same market. A lot of anime like "Ga Rei: Zero," "Gundam: The 8th MS Team," and "High School of the Dead" actually wrap up by episode 12. So yes, 5 episodes is enough time. "Fooly Cooly" only had six and was amazing. What it comes down to is the quality of writing and direction. It doesn't take a 150+ episode series to develop a one-dimensional relationship like Yuma's and Astral's.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #17
Bawb
Living in 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlap View Post
And what does "Pop Flying" mean? Is that a cultural thing I'm not getting, or some phrase that has a deeper meaning, or something (stupid) the writers made up so the MC had a catch phrase that they could put on t shirts?
Quoth the random YouTube comment:
Quote:
Actually, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) Yuma's catchphrase, "Kattobingu" can be translated a number of ways, including, as mentioned, "Bring it to 'em", "Straight to victory" "On to victory", or, easily the less desired translation "Pop flying" (What the hell does that even mean?) More or less the same thing, but let's hope 4kids doesn't choose the latter when Zexal's dubbed. Oh who am I kidding, of course the will -_- unless they make it something even stupider/more annoying
So apparently it's a translation thing, if the random YouTube comment is correct.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
Kaji Tsukino

Quote:
A response like this is why people don't take Pojo seriously.

I made points, if you aren't going to refute them but make fun of them, GTFO it and stop.

Dude, seriously, the main problem of pojo is fanboys that blindly want to make people follow bad things, yeah, 5 episodes are a needed pilot, but it doesn't engage anyone! Dude, you are the only person around here that thinks ZeXal is good right now, I can't imagine any kid that is new to YGO (which I think is the main target right?) to enjoy this show, it's boring! Look at the first 5 episodes of DM, 5D's God, even GX, at least there were decent duels!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #19
Overlap
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawb View Post
Quoth the random YouTube comment:

So apparently it's a translation thing, if the random YouTube comment is correct.
Oh. Thanks for that then. Yeah, they had to go with Pop Flying? "Bring it to em" I can understand and would have prefered, but Pop Flying?

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Dude, seriously, the main problem of pojo is fanboys that blindly want to make people follow bad things, yeah, 5 episodes are a needed pilot, but it doesn't engage anyone! Dude, you are the only person around here that thinks ZeXal is good right now, I can't imagine any kid that is new to YGO (which I think is the main target right?) to enjoy this show, it's boring! Look at the first 5 episodes of DM, 5D's God, even GX, at least there were decent duels!
There are at least two other Zexal supporters actually. They're free to thier opinions, but I can't say I agree, especially with the lack of a compelling argument.

Quote:
They (Dragon Rulers) should've been Level 9. We'd only be dealing with space flowers and evil dragons, not planes and floating eyeballs.

Last edited by Overlap : 05-10-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #20
Terrorking
Helmsmashin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlap View Post
Oh. Thanks for that then. Yeah, they had to go with Pop Flying? "Bring it to em" I can understand and would have prefered, but Pop Flying?
Didn't you read it? There is no "official" translation as of yet. Depending on the subber, a different translation will be used. As to what "Kattobingu" even means, according to Yuma it's the will to never give up.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #21
Overlap
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorkingA View Post
Didn't you read it? There is no "official" translation as of yet. Depending on the subber, a different translation will be used. As to what "Kattobingu" even means, according to Yuma it's the will to never give up.
Of course. I was refering to the translations I watched. The ones I watched had pop flying, and I still can't fathom why they would choose something like that.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #22
Notheso

Notheso is on a distinguished road

I believe the reason why ZeXal is going so slow and is stocking up on fillers is because it has to keep in line with the manga.

And having Yuma not being a badass make ZeXal suck? I know there are some legitimate arguments for that, but there are quite a few people who have the "Yuma is sooo annoying so ZeXal must suck" mentality. (This is just an opinion from observation) I suppose engaging main characters are important, and while Yuma may not fulfill that criteria immediately, I feel that it is unfair to just write him off as terrible. I see many "get rid of Yuma and ZeXal won't suck as much" posts, which implies that several people believe the show is poor out of dislike of the main character.

And to be fair, the last image of Yuma in the ending does have me pretty intrigued.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention that this show seems to be an introductory course for younger children/new players, so it is only natural for the pacing of ZeXal to be similar to that of a tutorial. And for the duels to be less complex.

Last edited by Notheso : 05-10-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #23
63cohen
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
A lot of people don't like it for biased reasons ...

If kids can enjoy Beyblade, they would have no trouble with this.

ΑΕΠ, Brothers For Life
Old 05-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #24
Kaji Tsukino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheso View Post
I believe the reason why ZeXal is going so slow and is stocking up on fillers is because it has to keep in line with the manga.

And having Yuma not being a badass make ZeXal suck? I know there are some legitimate arguments for that, but there are quite a few people who have the "Yuma is sooo annoying so ZeXal must suck" mentality. (This is just an opinion from observation) I suppose engaging main characters are important, and while Yuma may not fulfill that criteria immediately, I feel that it is unfair to just write him off as terrible. I see many "get rid of Yuma and ZeXal won't suck as much" posts, which implies that several people believe the show is poor out of dislike of the main character.

And to be fair, the last image of Yuma in the ending does have me pretty intrigued.

This show sucks for a lot of reasons Yuma is annoying but I don't really care about it, what pisses me off is that Yuma doesn't even know how to play the game, he is too cocky with the only being in the universe that wants to help him and don't even want to listen to him!!
Aside from that, the duels are boring, always end in a.. pseudo cliffhanger that is not amusing but annoying, because 20 minutes of the episode is Yuma & Co. goofing off and the last couple of minutes are the duel... and they are NOT interesting!! And maybe it's just me but I don't like the fact that everything is too colorful... it is so far from it's dark roots...
Also, if they need filler to keep up with the manga, the shouldn't release the series almost immediatly after the first 2 chapters of the manga, at least we could live without any YGO anime for some months rather than a bad YGO anime
Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #25
Terrorking
Helmsmashin'

What really disappoints me is Yuma's Ace not being Voltic Bicorn since they have so much in common

Last edited by Terrorking : 05-10-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Closed Thread