Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Magic: The Gathering > Magic: The Gathering Standard Format Deck Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
DarkRabbit97
Eh!? What's Up Doc?

Default Blue Black Control (on a budget)

This is a deck I have been working on and am hoping to play it this friday for a booster prize tournament, but not sure its up to par. any fixes or suggestions would be great just keep in mind I am on a budget.

Vampire Lacerator x4
Black Knight x3
Liliana's Specter x3
Aether Adept x3
Sea Gate Oracle x2
Sangromancer x1 (really want 2 more in here)

Black Sun's Zenith x3
Inquisition of Kozilek x4
Mana Leak x4
Grasp of Darkness x3
Deprive x4
Into the Roil x4

Halimar Depths x4
Terramorphic Expance x4 (Poor man Fetch Land lol)
Swamps x8
Islands x6
Old 04-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Oirad

How about switching the Grasps of Darkness for Go for the Throat or Doom Blade? Unless you know you're gonna be facing something that Grasp is better at killing, the other choices are nicer since it's one black mana and one generic instead of BB...

Not so sure about the blue bouncing cards (the sorcery and the creature), but they might be better than they look... how have you been doing with that deck, btw?

Liliana's Specter I don't like so much, unless you were going heavier into the discard theme... so maybe switch him out for some Gatekeeper of Malakir? With the kick it's at 3 mana too and takes a creature out. Oh wait, BBB... that's no good... hmm... Maybe the Hexmage, just in case you run intro Planeswakers? or Nighthawk, they sure are nice and can compensate for the loss of life that Lacerator might bring along...

Finally, Black Sun's Zenith is very cool, but not too sure you'd need it with the mix of removal and counter you'd be playing (especially if you throw in the earlier mentioned black kill spells)
Oirad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
solsethmatt
Pojo Veteran

Your deck is stuck in the middle of Aggro and control. If you want this to be control then you are going to want to get rid of the Lacerator. It hurts you and doesn't do what control wants. Also you have 3 Black Sun Zenith's Main which will wipe your field as well. I feel like the Liliana's Specter/Sangromancer thing is interesting.

Also you are running Deprive and grasp of darkness, which might get a little awkward manawise (seeing that you aren't running any duals).

Black Knight would also probably be better in the sideboard.
4 Into the Roil might be a bit much as well.

Cards I recommend

Mimic Vat (lets you use lilana's specter lots, Aether Adept, a Sea Gate Oracle really good)
Skinrender (also great with the vat and a powerful Creature)

Doom Blade/Go for the throat - right now head and shoulders above other removal.

Jace Beleren - i know they are at like 8 bucks but your deck needs some kind of draw power.

Here is maybe what I think you should try to run, if you can get hold of some mimic vats, shouldn't be that hard.

This is what I think you should try, its still very similar to your build.

Creatures
4 Liliana's Specter
4 Sea Gate Oracle
2 Aether Adept
3 Skinrender
3 Sangromancer (if you can find some big finishers like Massacre wurm/wurmcoil/Grave Titan/Frost Titan. that would probably be better here)

Spells
3 Mimic Vat
2 Black Sun's Zenith
4 Mana Leak
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Preordain
3 Doom Blade/Go for the Throat (depending on what you usually see, the other one can go into the sideboard)

24 Lands (if you can get duals use them)

Massacre Wurm + Mimic Vat = Massacre

Last edited by solsethmatt : 04-28-2011 at 06:05 AM.
solsethmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
DarkRabbit97
Eh!? What's Up Doc?

I don't have any vats but I'm pretty sure your other fixes I can do. As of now the deck is pretty well horrible. I'll try your fixes and let you know how it turns out.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
solsethmatt
Pojo Veteran

I highly recommend you picking up the vats, almost all of your creatures have an enters the battlefield effect, and would really give you good value
solsethmatt is offline   Reply With Quote