Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Q & A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
BladesOfArtemis
NEGATE!

Default Fake Trap vs. SS2 negation effects.

Much like the title says, this is an interesting question that I came up with while looking through some old commons. Given the slew of spell speed 2 negation cards that have been made, this is the scenario:

Player A has a face down Mirror Force and Fake Trap
Player B Declares an attack and has say any kind of spell speed 2 negation effect (My Body as a Shield, Stardust Dragon, etc etc).
Player A activates Mirror Force.
Player B Chains their negation effect.
Player A Chains Fake Trap.

The conundrum: We know Fake Trap would prevent Mirror Force from being destroyed, however, would Mirror Force still properly resolve or will its effect still be negated? My initial answer would be no since Fake Trap only prevents the trap from being destroyed and states nothing about the effect.

Following that, Second Scenario but with Imperial Custom

Player A has a set Gravity Bind and an already active Imperial Custom
Player B has a quick effect that negates activations (I.E. Herald of Purple Light, etc)
Player A activates Gravity Bind

Is player B allowed to attempt to negate its activation with Herald or since Gravity Bind is now a face-up card on the field, Imperial Custom protects it from any such effects? My initial thought would be no since there is the condition on the field for Player A that his/her continuous traps cannot be destroyed by effects. Thoughts?

Yu-Gi-Oh Judge since 2004

Visit my youtube channel for silly duels along with serious ones with my friends and my Counter Fairy builds at: http://www.youtube.com/user/thebladesofartemis
New Duel Videos from Dueling Network are up!
BladesOfArtemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
ness00
セクサリス

1) The OCG agrees with your logic.

2) I remember a ruling (most likely OCG) that explained that if you negate the activation of a Continuous Trap Card, Imperial Custom won't protect it, as it's not considered to be face-up.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
No One Special
Good Player

If the activation of a Continuous Spell Card or Continuous Trap Card is negated without destroying it (as per LaDD), it's sent to the Graveyard by game mechanics.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Redshift
Pojiwadai Elite 4

However, before "Herald of Purple Light"'s effect resolves and activation of "Gravity Bind" is negated, it's still considered on the field, right?

For example, say my opponent's "Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En" attacks my "Stardust Dragon", and I use "Dimensional Prison". If Shi En chains to it, can I chain the effect of my "Stardust Dragon"?

RC-1, RC-2 & PC-1 Certified (not CPR though)
3DS Friend Code: 2208 5236 3793
Redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
No One Special
Good Player

Judgment of Anubis is capable of negating My Body as a Shield, which negates activations and destroys the card involved, so I would believe so.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
ness00
セクサリス

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
However, before "Herald of Purple Light"'s effect resolves and activation of "Gravity Bind" is negated, it's still considered on the field, right?

For example, say my opponent's "Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En" attacks my "Stardust Dragon", and I use "Dimensional Prison". If Shi En chains to it, can I chain the effect of my "Stardust Dragon"?
Sure.

The thing is, Customs would need to apply its effect once Solemn negates the activation of Bind, and by that time, it's considered not to be on the Field anymore.