Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Dragon Ball Z/GT > Dragon Ball / DBZ / GT Anime/Manga Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Whuditdew
Pojo Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Age: 23
Posts: 819
iTrader: 0
Whuditdew is on a distinguished road
Default Goku is the worst character

It is amazing how good DBZ is despite it's main character being totally unlikeable.

There are two fatal flaws with Goku's character that make him almost impossible to like or relate to.

- Every time he is faced with a challenge or an obstacle he is given a way to overcome it, not by hard work (thats not to say he doesn't try) but by some kind of magic/unexpected feat. No other character ever really takes the spotlight from Goku because of this, and his character almost seems divine.

- His decision making doesn't make any sense and his personality is inconsistent. Everything Goku says and does never follows rhyme or reason. He has no logic at all but he supposed to be an somewhat intelligent character.

Honestly, who was rooting for Goku the first time they saw Majin Vegeta and Goku fight? No one. How could you root for a the guy who is given everything by chance, who you know will always win, and who has the most uninteresting personality possible? You can't. You vote for the guy who has solid unchanging ideals, works incessantly to reach his goals, and has a strong personality.
__________________
DN: JustAWeekAgo
Whuditdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
I_Am_A_Noob
FiM
 
I_Am_A_Noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,393
iTrader: 51 (100%)
I_Am_A_Noob is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
Honestly, who was rooting for Goku the first time they saw Majin Vegeta and Goku fight? No one. How could you root for a the guy who is given everything by chance, who you know will always win, and who has the most uninteresting personality possible? You can't. You vote for the guy who has solid unchanging ideals, works incessantly to reach his goals, and has a strong personality.
I was rooting for him, vegeta was possessed and I had just watched him blow people away at the world martial arts tournament
__________________

YGO H/W list/Pokemon H/W List/Video Games
FC: 2838-0786-5994
the purple username color for veterans stinks
I_Am_A_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Whuditdew
Pojo Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Age: 23
Posts: 819
iTrader: 0
Whuditdew is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_A_Noob View Post
I was rooting for him, vegeta was possessed and I had just watched him blow people away at the world martial arts tournament
Boo hoo.

You knew they were going to be wished back with the Dragon Balls.
__________________
DN: JustAWeekAgo
Whuditdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
CONTAK
Son of the Prince
 
CONTAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,933
iTrader: 0
CONTAK is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
Boo hoo.

You knew they were going to be wished back with the Dragon Balls.
Quit trying to act like your smart
CONTAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
ChompOnThis
Pojo Veteran
 
ChompOnThis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Detroit
Age: 25
Posts: 2,023
iTrader: 0
ChompOnThis is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
It is amazing how good DBZ is despite it's main character being totally unlikeable.

There are two fatal flaws with Goku's character that make him almost impossible to like or relate to.

- Every time he is faced with a challenge or an obstacle he is given a way to overcome it, not by hard work (thats not to say he doesn't try) but by some kind of magic/unexpected feat. No other character ever really takes the spotlight from Goku because of this, and his character almost seems divine.

- His decision making doesn't make any sense and his personality is inconsistent. Everything Goku says and does never follows rhyme or reason. He has no logic at all but he supposed to be an somewhat intelligent character.

Honestly, who was rooting for Goku the first time they saw Majin Vegeta and Goku fight? No one. How could you root for a the guy who is given everything by chance, who you know will always win, and who has the most uninteresting personality possible? You can't. You vote for the guy who has solid unchanging ideals, works incessantly to reach his goals, and has a strong personality.
I know what you mean. I think most people wanted Majin Vegeta to win because they knew in the end Goku would end up being the stronger fighter.

If acting like your smart is a bad thing what does acting stupid make you?
ChompOnThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Ussj Future Trunks
Pojo Veteran
 
Ussj Future Trunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,436
iTrader: 0
Ussj Future Trunks is on a distinguished road
Default

i was rooting for vegeta. i dislike goku as well, mainly cos hes uninteresting and makes braindead decisions. honestly what possessed him to do some of the things he did, like giving cell a senzu, not being ssj3 vs majin vegeta and not fusing to beat kid buu? does he WANT the universe to die?
Ussj Future Trunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
DragonDudeX
Pojo Veteran
 
DragonDudeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,878
iTrader: 0
DragonDudeX is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ussj Future Trunks View Post
i was rooting for vegeta. i dislike goku as well, mainly cos hes uninteresting and makes braindead decisions. honestly what possessed him to do some of the things he did, like giving cell a senzu, not being ssj3 vs majin vegeta and not fusing to beat kid buu? does he WANT the universe to die?
Let's not act like Goku was the only character in the dragonball universe to make ridiculous decisions. As I remember Vegeta allowed Cell to become perfect when he could killed Cell before his complete transformation. I think its easy to try to criticize Goku since he's the protagonist of the show. Although Goku made some questionable decisions I actually like Goku more than Vegeta. His personality reminds me of mine, a bit different but similar so I can connect to that. Goku > Vegeta
DragonDudeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
ChompOnThis
Pojo Veteran
 
ChompOnThis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Detroit
Age: 25
Posts: 2,023
iTrader: 0
ChompOnThis is on a distinguished road
Default

I don't hate Goku but I can see why people would dislike him a lot. I mean when your the best there's always people who hate you.
ChompOnThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
Ussj Future Trunks
Pojo Veteran
 
Ussj Future Trunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,436
iTrader: 0
Ussj Future Trunks is on a distinguished road
Default

that wasnt ridiculous. vegeta firmly believed he had achieved the ultimate power and that cell wouldnt be much of a threat even if he was perfect. thats not really arrogance. trunks explains it as a sense of honour and feeling of vegeta accomplishing what he had struggled his whole life to become. legendary. after all he's heard so much about how the original lssj was the strongest most unstoppable thing ever. naturally he wouldnt think this weakling who hes been slapping around would get that strong. goku made INFINITELY more stupid decisions.

we are all cocky when we get alot of power. being a saiyan just amplifies that ego.
Ussj Future Trunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
ChompOnThis
Pojo Veteran
 
ChompOnThis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Detroit
Age: 25
Posts: 2,023
iTrader: 0
ChompOnThis is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ussj Future Trunks View Post
that wasnt ridiculous. vegeta firmly believed he had achieved the ultimate power and that cell wouldnt be much of a threat even if he was perfect. thats not really arrogance. trunks explains it as a sense of honour and feeling of vegeta accomplishing what he had struggled his whole life to become. legendary. after all he's heard so much about how the original lssj was the strongest most unstoppable thing ever. naturally he wouldnt think this weakling who hes been slapping around would get that strong. goku made INFINITELY more stupid decisions.

we are all cocky when we get alot of power. being a saiyan just amplifies that ego.
Agreed, but Vegeta is much more arrogant than most.

Goku sort of did the same thing Vegeta did with Cell with Frieza. Goku let Frieza achieve 100% and then fought him. Although when Cell achieved his Perfect form he was much more powerful than Vegeta had thought.
ChompOnThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
MooooooCow
fin~
 
MooooooCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 31
Posts: 9,469
iTrader: 0
MooooooCow is on a distinguished road
Default

A walking racial slur like Mr Popo is the worst character in dragonball
MooooooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
Lord Vegeta
Fourth Wholockian
 
Lord Vegeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom, Gallifrey
Age: 26
Posts: 2,078
iTrader: 0
Lord Vegeta is on a distinguished road
Default

I don't think Goku is the worst character he made some great moments in Dragonball Z.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toriyama Movies
What is your personal stance on Dragon Ball’s theatrical films, Sensei?
I take the movies as “stories in a different dimension from the main story of the manga”. I’m entirely just an audience member for them. I check the plot and script that gets sent to me from Toei Animation. You're classed as mentally ill, if you claim your opinions as facts.
Lord Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
Earthling Kappy
Registered User
 
Earthling Kappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 209
iTrader: 0
Earthling Kappy is on a distinguished road
Default

This really depends on how one defines "worst". Personality? Decision Making? Plot Development? What exactly are you trying to judge here?
Earthling Kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #14
MojonCurao
Learning the Ropes
 
MojonCurao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8
iTrader: 0
MojonCurao is on a distinguished road
Default

i've always liked goku, specially in dragonball, god he was funny
MojonCurao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
I_Am_A_Noob
FiM
 
I_Am_A_Noob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,393
iTrader: 51 (100%)
I_Am_A_Noob is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling Kappy View Post
This really depends on how one defines "worst". Personality? Decision Making? Plot Development? What exactly are you trying to judge here?
I think he's judging based on his dislike of goku
__________________

YGO H/W list/Pokemon H/W List/Video Games
FC: 2838-0786-5994
the purple username color for veterans stinks
I_Am_A_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #16
ShOcK
Pojo Veteran
 
ShOcK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,867
iTrader: -1 (40%)
ShOcK is on a distinguished road
Default

In Dragonball goku was the most likable character because he always worked hard to get stronger (korin tower, training with roshi and kame, etc.) and he actually lost some battles like with tao pai pai and against roshi in the world martial arts tournament. To top it off his ignorance was comedic gold he was a really funny character.

In Dragonball Z it seemed that after the Raditz saga no matter what Goku did you knew he was going to win. It is easy to dislike Goku here because he wasnt the same. Yes he trained and whatnot but it was different. In dragonball he trained then fought and half the time would still lose only to train even harder and finally win. In dragonball z he would train and the end result would be him getting like x1000 times stronger.
ShOcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #17
RasenganEXE
RASENGAN!!
 
RasenganEXE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: El Paso, TX
Age: 26
Posts: 3,121
iTrader: 81 (98%)
RasenganEXE is on a distinguished road
Default

Goku is a very likable character. Very funny to watch.

The way he is makes sense by the way he was raised. He had no education or any contact with any other human till he met Bulma.
__________________
Vanguard Trade List
http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=1199833


Current Vanguard decks:
Main: Gold Paladin Liberators
Second: Dimension Police Ultimate Daiyusha/Daiyusha Reverse
Third: Nubatama
RasenganEXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #18
Krueger
Pojo Veteran
 
Krueger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,822
iTrader: 0
Krueger is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShOcK View Post
In Dragonball goku was the most likable character because he always worked hard to get stronger (korin tower, training with roshi and kame, etc.) and he actually lost some battles like with tao pai pai and against roshi in the world martial arts tournament. To top it off his ignorance was comedic gold he was a really funny character.

In Dragonball Z it seemed that after the Raditz saga no matter what Goku did you knew he was going to win. It is easy to dislike Goku here because he wasnt the same. Yes he trained and whatnot but it was different. In dragonball he trained then fought and half the time would still lose only to train even harder and finally win. In dragonball z he would train and the end result would be him getting like x1000 times stronger.
I can pretty much agree with this.

I don't hate Goku. I think he's pretty cool sometimes. But I was definitely rooting for Vegeta by the time the Boo Arc came around. I used to be a Goku fanboy when I first got into DB but as I grew up and watched it progress I grew away from Goku and started preferring Vegeta.
Krueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
tienshinhan08
Ballerholic
 
tienshinhan08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12,132
iTrader: 0
tienshinhan08 is on a distinguished road
Default

Yeah I would say Goku is one of my least favorite characters in the series. He had his moments for sure, but he wore out his welcome as the main character by the Buu saga.
tienshinhan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #20
Ussj Future Trunks
Pojo Veteran
 
Ussj Future Trunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,436
iTrader: 0
Ussj Future Trunks is on a distinguished road
Default

yeah toriyama understood that too. hence gohan taking over and beating cell. but toriyama fell for the fanboys. thats what happens when you dont say "**** you its my story. dont tell me how to write it".

in answer to the title. no goku is not even close to the worst. broly is. in every concievable way.

Last edited by Ussj Future Trunks : 10-22-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Ussj Future Trunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #21
Krueger
Pojo Veteran
 
Krueger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,822
iTrader: 0
Krueger is on a distinguished road
Default

Toriyama did state in an interview that he felt Gohan just didn't fit the part of the hero at the end of the day, which is why he went back to Goku again.
Krueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:08 AM   #22
5star
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 123
iTrader: 0
5star is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
It is amazing how good DBZ is despite it's main character being totally unlikeable.
If he is then why does he have so much fans?


-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
Every time he is faced with a challenge or an obstacle he is given a way to overcome it, not by hard work (thats not to say he doesn't try) but by some kind of magic/unexpected feat.
Wasn't training with king kai in 10x earth gravity hard work? Wasn't training 50x earth gravity hard work? wasn't training in the hyperbolic time chamber for one year hard work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
No other character ever really takes the spotlight from Goku because of this, and his character almost seems divine.
Hes the damn hero/star :|

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
His decision making doesn't make any sense and his personality is inconsistent. Everything Goku says and does never follows rhyme or reason. He has no logic at all but he supposed to be an somewhat intelligent character.
Non of this is true. You obviously haven't seen Dbz in a long while and has been dreaming of vegeta being the star way too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
Honestly, who was rooting for Goku the first time they saw Majin Vegeta and Goku fight?
I knew it would be a draw, you got giant amount of fans on both side, AT wouldn't upset either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
How could you root for a the guy who is given everything by chance,
He's the main character! You talk as if dbz is the only show you've watched; Haven't you seen yu yu haku (spelled incorrectly) show, naruto or Kenchin? Its the same thing dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
who you know will always win,
He lost against raditz, ape vegeta,(technically)freeza(before he tured ssj),#19 and cell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
and who has the most uninteresting personality possible?
Hes powerful and at the same time good hearted and is zealous about fighting someone stronger than him, whats not interesting about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whuditdew View Post
You vote for the guy who has solid unchanging ideals, works incessantly to reach his goals, and has a strong personality.
He has all this; He wants to be the strongest/greatest fighter in the universe, and obviously he works hard towards that goal. :|

Ussj future trunks: ''i was rooting for vegeta. i dislike goku as well, mainly cos hes uninteresting and makes braindead decisions. honestly what possessed him to do some of the things he did, like giving cell a senzu, not being ssj3 vs majin vegeta and not fusing to beat kid buu? does he WANT the universe to die?''
1/He gave cell the senzu bean so gohan would tap into his hidden powers, wasn't that obvious?
2/He probably didn't want too much energy to go towards majin buu's resurrection, or he knew his time would expire quickly, or probably he wanted vegetas help but to gain that he needed to make him think they were equal(he probably had fusion with vegeta up his sleeves at that time). Or pobably he didn't want to kill vegeta's fighting spirit (like trunks when he fought perfect cell).
3/Because buu seemed weaker and being stuck together was a bad taste at that point. And Not fusing was also vegetas decision.

Give a reason for these wack decisions will you:
1/ Why did vegeta let andriod 19 take most of his energy subsequently letting 20 get away to #17 and #18
2/why did vegeta take so long to help gohan in the power clash with cell
3/Why did vegeta knock goku out instead of teaming up with him
4/Why did vegeta kill lots of people (almost killing his wife) just to fight KAKAROT

Man, I couldn't think of any wack decisions from the sayin saga or namik saga. What I was telling my peeps is true. its proof. Everything after the freeza saga was fan feed. Its obvious when you consider the strange transition. At put less effort into the rest of the series(from the android saga to buu), stroy wise that is.

Last edited by 5star : 10-23-2010 at 06:23 AM.
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #23
ChompOnThis
Pojo Veteran
 
ChompOnThis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Detroit
Age: 25
Posts: 2,023
iTrader: 0
ChompOnThis is on a distinguished road
Default

I definitely don't think Goku is the worst character or Broly for that matter. But I can understand why people wouldn't like them. Certain things that they do or just the unbelievable feats Goku seems to effortlessly pull off are things I could see people hating him for.

I mean c'mon Goku and Broly aren't as bad of characters as say Yamcha towards the end of DBZ. Or what really has Chaiotzu ever contributed towards in DBZ. At least in DB he was introduced as another student of Shen's but in DBZ the only thing he really does is blow himself up in a failed attempt to kill Nappa and cry about the welfare of Tien. I'm not saying I hate those characters either because I think hating an anime character is a bit much but I definitely think they are worse characters than Goku and Broly.

What I don't understand about the whole hating Broly thing is he's only in 2 DBZ movies.(I guess that is more than most movie villains though :/) If you don't like him then don't watch those movies. But I get how if you don't like Goku though how that could be annoying since he is the main character and all though.

Last edited by ChompOnThis : 10-23-2010 at 08:11 AM.
ChompOnThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #24
Ussj Future Trunks
Pojo Veteran
 
Ussj Future Trunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,436
iTrader: 0
Ussj Future Trunks is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
He gave cell the senzu bean so gohan would tap into his hidden powers, wasn't that obvious?
yeah but he failed to realise gohan might not want to and didnt even care that his son was being beaten to death till it was too late and the cell jrs were beating the **** out of HIM.

Quote:
He probably didn't want too much energy to go towards majin buu's resurrection
being ssj3 would have prevented that as vegeta cant hit him and therefore cant damage him. goku can just knock vegeta out, IT to babidi, fry his nuts. job well done.

being stuck together was a bad taste at that point
rofl. so goku knowingly almost doomed the universe to destruction cos he didnt want to be stuck with vegeta. right...i wonder what he'd say to chichi in otherworld "sorry i couldnt save the universe cos itd be a bad taste if i was stuck with vegeta forever".

Quote:
Give a reason for these wack decisions will you:
its vegeta. unlike goku he hasnt learnt till buu saga to care for others or realise hes not that powerful. he was acting for himself and his own pride. goku needed to be the one thinking about the safety of the universe above himself and vegeta.

Quote:
Broly aren't as bad of characters as say Yamcha
yamcha is infinitely better than that crap stain. he actually has character and behaves realistically.

Quote:
If you don't like him then don't watch those movies
and i dont. but the problem is he has so many fanboys he keeps cropping up everywhere. we cant get rid of that piss infused with crap.

Quote:
Or what really has Chaiotzu ever contributed towards in DBZ.
um not doing things doesnt mean your a bad character. chiaotzu is interesting and had a role in dragonball. broly barely qualifies as a character at all. hes more of a concept.
Ussj Future Trunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #25
MooooooCow
fin~
 
MooooooCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 31
Posts: 9,469
iTrader: 0
MooooooCow is on a distinguished road
Default

Chauzu really is a horrible character, but he's no the central point of the series.
MooooooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

 
Advertisements


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.