Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Strategies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
harig07
Respectmyauthorata

Default The Official Final Countdown Discussion Thread - No Pressure

This thread is dedicated to discussing decks that revolve around the card Final Countdown and achieving its win condition.

Contents:

1. Introduction
2. Final Countdown?
3. Backing up the Cause: What we can do now
4. Support in the Future
5. The Playstyle and the Side Deck
6. The Meta
7. Noteworthy builds
8. Conclusion

1. Introduction

Final Countdown isn't an archetyperal deck. The deck is all about one card, Final Countdown, and managing to pull it off. The main advantage to the deck is that Final Countdown is very difficult to counter. Once it's out there's no turning back. The disadvantage is that all the support Final Countdown has access too is totally unrelated, meaning that there's no way to assure you get the cards you need. Final Countdown's consistency rate isn't a problem though.

2. Final Countdown?

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Countdown

Final Countdown
Type: Spell Cards
Property: Normal
Effect: Pay 2000 Life Points. After 20 turns have passed (counting the turn you activate this card as the 1st turn), you win the Duel.

Simple but effective. As outlined before, other than Solemn Judgment counters to this card are very rare. Also once Final Countdown has been activated it can't be stopped. This puts a lot of pressure on someone playing against the Final Countdown user: they have to try and beat you, not vica versa. Final Countdown, in the card and the deck, is naturally very relaxed and simple in style. Get to it, activate it and stall. That is essentially Final Countdown.

As for amount of Final Countdowns I'd probably run 2-3. Drawing multiple copies is pretty annoying but realistically you have to have at least 2 in case one gets Solemned. I personally run 2 but 3 is perfectly fine.

3. Backing up the Cause: What we can do now

So...what support do we have access to now? Well first we have to understand that the only point of the support is to get Final Countdown and stall. With that in mind, the rest will be easy.

Battle Fader
Attribute: DARK
Types: Fiend/Effect
Level: Level 1
ATK/DEF: 0/0
Effect: When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack, you can Special Summon this card from your hand and end the Battle Phase. If this card is Special Summoned with this effect, remove it from play when it is removed from the field.

Obviously. Without this card the deck probably isn't playable. It's essentially a free 2 turns off the Final Countdown 20. To put it short, run 3 in every Final Countdown deck. *****

Zero Gardna
Attribute: EARTH
Types: Warrior/Effect
Level: Level 4
Effect: You can Tribute this card to activate its effect. If you do, monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle, and you take no Battle Damage, during this turn. This effect can be activated during either player's turn.

Monster version of Waboku. As with Battle Fader, a free 2 turns off the big 20. Similarly should be ran in 3 in every deck.

Cyber Valley
Attribute: LIGHT
Types: Machine/Effect
Effect: You can use 1 of the following 3 effects:
● When this card is selected as an attack target by an opponent's monster, you can remove this card from play to draw 1 card and end the Battle Phase. ● You can remove from play this card and 1 face-up monster you control, and draw 2 cards. ● You can remove from play this card and 1 card from your hand, and place 1 card from your Graveyard on top of your Deck.

Unfortunately Cyber Valley in Final Countdown has deteriorated in terms of usefulness. Why? Mainly the increase in commonality of Book of Moon and Cyber Dragon. Those two alone are many outs to stopping Cyber Valley's stall effect. It's worth the one copy but honestly there's not much point in running 2-3. **

Spirit Reaper
Types: Zombie/Effect
Level: Level 3
ATK/DEF: 300/200
Effect: This card cannot be destroyed by battle. Destroy this card when it is targeted by the effect of a Spell, Trap, or Effect Monster. If this card successfully attacks directly, your opponent randomly discards 1 card.

Spirit Reaper is still the best wall. It's Limited but you can just sit on it for a minimum of a few turns. At the moment you should run 1. *****

Wattlemur
Types: Thunder/Effect
Level: Level 2
ATK/DEF: 800/100
Effect: If this card is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect), they cannot conduct their Battle Phase during their next turn.

The most recent addition to the Final Countdown support. This card's utility is honestly in that it has virtually no spefications in how it has to get destroyed: in fact the only specification is that it does have to be destroyed. Realistically the perfect first turn set for the deck. Run 2-3. ****

Morphing Jar
Types: Rock/Effect
Level: Level 2
ATK/DEF: 700/600
Effect: FLIP: Both players discard their hands, then draw 5 cards.

At the moment Morphing Jar isn't that bad. It allows you to replenish your stall options and draw into Final Countdown quicker. The main problem is that it's a bit passive, but for the draw power it's perfectly justified. Obviously run 1 if you're going to. ***

Sangan
Types: Fiend/Effect
Level: Level 3
ATK/DEF: 1000/600
Effect: When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, add 1 monster with 1500 or less ATK from your Deck to your hand.

Because of the combo-ability with stuff like Battle Fader, Sangan is potentially an excellent addition to the deck. As with Morphing Jar I'm a little bit iffy because of the passive nature of the card but it does definitely work really well. If you're going to run it run 1.

Dimensional Alchemist
Types: Fairy/Effect
Level: Level 4
ATK/DEF: 1300/200
Effect: Once per turn, you can activate this effect to remove from play the top card of your Deck and give this card 500 ATK until the End Phase. When this card is destroyed and sent from your side of the field to the Graveyard, you can select 1 of your removed from play monsters and return it to your hand.

I would only recommend this in a build that runs 3 Cyber Valley as well as 3 Battle Fader. And this format I wouldn't recommend that. In said build run 1-2. **

Upstart Goblin
Effect: Draw 1 card from your Deck. Increase your opponent's Life Points by 1000 Life Points.

Obvious addition. Considering you don't care about your opponent's lifepoints it's basically running 37 cards. Should run 3. *****

Pot of Duality
Effect: Reveal the top 3 cards of your Deck, add 1 of them to your hand, then shuffle the rest back into your Deck. You can only activate 1 "Pot of Duality" per turn. You cannot Special Summon a monster(s) during the turn you activate this card.

Again, obvious addition. If you have it, run it. If you don't, don't worry too much about it. Run as many as you can *****

Gold Sarcophagus
Effect: Select and remove from play 1 card in your Deck. During your second Standby Phase after this card's activation, add the removed card to your hand.

Draw it early game without Final Countdown and search it. Draw it any time after Final Countdown and search whatever the hell you want. Final Countdown can utilise Gold Sarcophagus very well. For those with Duality consider running this alongside it. For those without you'd be stupid not to. ****

Swords of Revealing Light
Effect: Flip all monsters your opponent controls face-up. This card remains on the field for 3 of your opponent's turns. While this card is face-up on the field, monsters your opponent controls cannot declare an attack.

For now I'm a fan of this card. MST isn't all that frequent at the moment so it's not too difficult to get the full 3 turns off. That's almost a third of the FC 20 knocked off. A personal preference but it's definitely worth consideration. ***

Waboku
Type: Trap Cards
Effect: You take no Battle Damage this turn. Your monsters cannot be destroyed by battle this turn.

Easy free turn. And it's chainable. Should run 3. *****

Thunder of Ruler
You can only activate this card during your opponent's Standby Phase. Your opponent cannot conduct his/her Battle Phase this turn.

Alright. The restriction of activation window is a bit lame but it's still a great card nevertheless. Feel free to run any amount, or none at all. ***

Threatening Roar
Effect: Your opponent cannot declare an attack this turn.

Obviously. Run 3. *****

Frozen Soul
Effect: You can only activate this card when your Life Points are at least 2000 lower than your opponent's. Skip your opponent's next Battle Phase.

This card is okay, especially if you're running Upstart and stuff like SWarning. Of course you can always just let an attack in if you want to set it off. Good card, you might want to run it. ***

4. Support in the Future

Mainly Post-STBL cards that'll improve the deck drastically.

Swift-Attacking Scarecrow
Types: Machine/Effect
Effect: When your opponent declares a direct attack, you can discard this card to end the Battle Phase.

In a word, amazing. Seriously, the card is stupid good. Run 3 or you lack a neuron or something. *****

Large Heat Wave
Effect: This card can only be activated at the start of your Main Phase 1. Until your next Draw Phase, neither player can Normal or Special Summon Effect Monsters.

Yeah, it's monster Cold Wave. But think about it seriously. You activate this, set Wattlemur and end. It's crazy good, amazing for stalling and is...just...great. Run 3. Obviously run 3. *****

5. The Playstyle and the Side Deck

This particular deck has one of the simplest playstyles around: get Final Countdown, activate it and stall. By doing that you will eventually win the game. It's a deck that requires patience. The opponent will get annoyed. But you will win.

The most annoying match-up is easily, easily Herald of Perfection. War Chariot is also a bit of a bumwhore. For that you must side deck properly. This is my side deck:

Side- 15:
3 Effect Veiler
3 Dekoichi
2 Mystical Space Typhoon
2 Prohibition
2 Skill Drain
1 Black Salvo
1 Cold Wave
1 Mind Crush

Yeah, something like this. This should be enough for virtually any match-up. Salvo engine is great for if you need a bit of BRD power. Skill Drain is amazing in the side. It all works out really well. Stopping Herald is really the most important thing and this side is able to do that easily.

6. The Meta

This is simple. How does Final Countdown fit into/play against the meta? Well, the ban list has left us in a situation where the format isn't entirely defined. However from what we know Sabers and GB's are Tier 1, with a plethora of other decks following behind at Tier 1.5/2. As a general thing though Final Countdown has an ability to stall against even the fastest of decks (that's right Sabers I'm looking at you). The only real problem are Herald, GB's and control-Infernities. Herald is the worst and the only real way to deal with it is through a dedicated side (outlined above). GB's and Infernities are definitely playable, all you really have to do is stall sufficiently and dodge Barrier/War Chariot.

As a general though Final Countdown can compete in most metas fairly well. So long as the build is consistent enough it'll succeed in winning the duel before you get beaten.

7. Noteworthy builds

This is open to you. Provide builds or links to decks that you find particularly good. Explain why and it might just get put at the front.

For now we'll use mine.

IT'S THE FIIIIIIIINAL COOOOOUUUUNTDOOWWWN!!!!!!

Monsters (13):
3 Battle Fader
3 Zero Gardna
3 Wattlemur
1 Cyber Valley
1 Sangan
1 Morphing Jar
1 Spirit Reaper

Spells (13):
3 Upstart Goblin
3 Pot of Duality
2 Gold Sarcophagus
2 Final Countdown
1 Swords of Revealing Light
1 Monster Reborn
1 Dark Hole

Traps (14):
3 Threatening Roar
3 Waboku
2 Thunder of Ruler
2 Frozen Soul
1 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Solemn Judgment
1 Solemn Warning

Same as above, but for us poor tingz.

Monsters (13):
3 Battle Fader
3 Zero Gardna
3 Wattlemur
2 Cyber Valley
1 Sangan
1 Morphing Jar
1 Spirit Reaper

Spells (11):
3 Upstart Goblin
2 Gold Sarcophagus
2 Final Countdown
1 Monster Reborn
1 Dark Hole
1 The Warrior Returning Alive

Traps (15):
3 Threatening Roar
3 Waboku
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Thunder of Ruler
2 Frozen Soul
1 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Solemn Judgment

No Pressure - Post STBL Final Countdown

Monsters - 14:
3 Battle Fader
3 Zero Gardna
3 Wattlemur
3 STBL Scarecrow
1 Cyber Valley
1 Morphing Jar/Sangan

Spells- 16:
3 Upstart Goblin
3 Large Heat Wave
3 Pot of Duality
2 Gold Sarcophagus
2 Final Countdown
1 Monster Reborn
1 Dark Hole

Traps- 10:
3 Threatening Roar
3 Waboku
1 Solemn Warning/Thunder of Ruler/Frozen Soul
1 Torrential
1 Mirror Force
1 Solemn Judgment

8. Conclusion

Well the deck has potential to say the least. The right build with the right player should be able to win consistently. Let's just hope it's one of us

Eccentric_Boy, Co-founder of Team Calamity
http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamCalamity?feature=mhum
Comment and subscribe

http://www.youtube.com/user/iUNCENSOREDi

Proud Member of Team Il Weed since August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Oj View Post
I honestly never thought I'd ever say this...listen to Harig..

Last edited by harig07 : 09-12-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Galamoth
(ノゝ∀・)~綺羅星☆!!

against herald you should side Volcanic Queen.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
harig07
Respectmyauthorata

I thought of it but I'm just personally against handing my opponent a 2500 beater to try and smack me with. Also blocks my Normal/Set.

Comment and subscribe

Quote:
Old 09-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
/Lonefire333/
Want another shot?

I might actually run this. It looks pretty cheap

thanks hari

/loʊnfaɪɚ drćgənblum/
/Il Weed since October 5th, 2008/
3DS Friend Code 3797-7133-5293
Old 09-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Galamoth
(ノゝ∀・)~綺羅星☆!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harig07 View Post
I thought of it but I'm just personally against handing my opponent a 2500 beater to try and smack me with. Also blocks my Normal/Set.
better that than to have a Herald, also a 2500 wont make a difference with all the defense the deck has. Prohibition will get MST, Trunade, etc has they main MST now and side trunade + more stuff.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
harig07
Respectmyauthorata

Lonefire: Obviously looking at the Dualityless build Glad to help my friend

Gala: They main MST? Crap. I'll test around with it. Stupid Herald :/

Comment and subscribe

Quote:
Old 09-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
DamageStepInc
I ♥ Chaos

3 Gardna
3 Wattlemur/ Until i get faders
3 Ladybug
3 Valleys

2 Sarco
1 Dark Hole
3 Countdown
1 ROTA
3 Warrior returning alive

3 T roar
3 Waboku
3 Thunder of Ruler
3 Jar of Greed
3 reckless
3 legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99939993 on D-Boyz View Post
Should be called N-Boyz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie666 View Post
But how do you expect to win withought triple Tour Guide?!
My Team's Channel... Subscribe!
Looking for Karakuri Stuff! PM for details!

Last edited by DamageStepInc : 09-12-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
harig07
Respectmyauthorata

How's that been testing? Honestly don't see the point of Ladybugs. Also is there enough stall?

Comment and subscribe

Quote:
Old 09-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
DamageStepInc
I ♥ Chaos

Ladybugs r good, might take em out though and just play 3 fader and 3 lemur. It has more than enought stall... i think 20+ stall cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99939993 on D-Boyz View Post
Should be called N-Boyz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie666 View Post
But how do you expect to win withought triple Tour Guide?!
My Team's Channel... Subscribe!
Looking for Karakuri Stuff! PM for details!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
harig07
Respectmyauthorata

I would do that if I were you. Looks alright.

Comment and subscribe

Quote:
Old 09-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
X-elemental
aunicornist

Needs Into The Void.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #12
Varg the Legend
★☆★☆★☆

Would be funny if you play against burn

Seriously though, you should think about something to counter Chain Burn in the side. It's a decent and cheap deck which might be run by some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness00 View Post
From your comment, you want to buy Jeff Jones' ass for a thousand bucks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valafar123 View Post
Varg is here, now it's a real thread.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
/Lonefire333/
Want another shot?

rainbow life is flame retärdant

/loʊnfaɪɚ drćgənblum/
/Il Weed since October 5th, 2008/
3DS Friend Code 3797-7133-5293
Old 09-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
harig07
Respectmyauthorata

Burn is pretty gay against the deck. You don't see it very often but if it does come up then you're not in a good position. Rainbow Life depends how frequently your stall fails/you face burn.

Comment and subscribe

Quote:
Old 09-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
d34thw1ng
Pojo Veteran

why a 2nd treath of final count down? when the last one only has like 5 pages
Old 09-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #16
harig07
Respectmyauthorata

Because I searched for Final Countdown but couldn't find a thread so I didn't know there was one

Comment and subscribe

Quote:
Old 09-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #17
W-HEAT
Pojo Veteran

This thread is way better then the first one anyway. I look to keep checking it and posting frequently. Fc is my current favorite deck being fun, semi competitive and being an alternate win condition that actually works.

Also you highly under rate gbs....chariots screw you over sure but the main threat is heraklinos. Other counters that one should think to side for are burn honzo and decree... also infernities really r only a problem cuz of barrier

Last edited by W-HEAT : 09-16-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
X-elemental
aunicornist

Side or main Lava Golems then.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 AM   #19
Varg the Legend
★☆★☆★☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-HEAT View Post
This thread is way better then the first one anyway. I look to keep checking it and posting frequently. Fc is my current favorite deck being fun, semi competitive and being an alternate win condition that actually works.

Also you highly under rate gbs....chariots screw you over sure but the main threat is heraklinos. Other counters that one should think to side for are burn honzo and decree... also infernities really r only a problem cuz of barrier
Problem is it can be run in 3s and is easily searchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness00 View Post
From your comment, you want to buy Jeff Jones' ass for a thousand bucks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valafar123 View Post
Varg is here, now it's a real thread.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:55 AM   #20
Final Darkness
The Endless Abyss

Guys. Don't run this deck this format. Trust me, X-Saber (the most popular) deck completely wrecks it. The second most popular (Glads) also wrecks it.

http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread...=scrap+breaker
Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #21
Galamoth
(ノゝ∀・)~綺羅星☆!!

This deck will get a bit better for next set with the release of Heat Wave.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #22
W-HEAT
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Darkness View Post
Guys. Don't run this deck this format. Trust me, X-Saber (the most popular) deck completely wrecks it. The second most popular (Glads) also wrecks it.
X sabers really aren't a tough matchup really. Gottoms is the worst part but even then you can top deck a stall card every turn like a champ.
Also Skill Drain screws sabers over and if you can keep the field clear with Lava Golem, Dark Hole and torrential you don't have to worry much bout gottoms

I think scarecrow helps this deck more then heat wave. Heat wave is good don't get me wrong but in order to get the most turns outta it you have to use lots of field clearers un the main like Needle Ceiling, hole, torrential and more. Scarecrow is amazing+ 2 turns that us almost un negatable. Its a freaking sooped up Kuriboh!

Last edited by W-HEAT : 09-17-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #23
harig07
Respectmyauthorata

Quote:
X sabers really aren't a tough matchup really. Gottoms is the worst part but even then you can top deck a stall card every turn like a champ.
Also Skill Drain screws sabers over and if you can keep the field clear with Lava Golem, Dark Hole and torrential you don't have to worry much bout gottoms

I think scarecrow helps this deck more then heat wave. Heat wave is good don't get me wrong but in order to get the most turns outta it you have to use lots of field clearers un the main like Needle Ceiling, hole, torrential and more. Scarecrow is amazing+ 2 turns that us almost un negatable. Its a freaking sooped up Kuriboh!
Crow with MST at 2, nah. Large Heat Wave is pretty much a free turn, it's so easy to go Heat Wave, set Wattlemur end. They can't do **** and you just got yourself like 6 turns of Final Countdown, plus plenty of time to draw into whatever you want.

Quote:

Did I underrate GB's? I thought I said they were like one of the worst match-ups with Herald.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-elemental View Post
Side or main Lava Golems then.
I prefer Volcanic Queen, but yeah I need room for it somehow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varg the Legend View Post
Problem is it can be run in 3s and is easily searchable.
Aye, what you say is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Darkness View Post
X-Saber is one of the best match-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galamoth View Post
This deck will get a bit better for next set with the release of Heat Wave.
Yup, in fact Large Heat Wave was what spurred me to make the deck.

Comment and subscribe

Quote:
Old 09-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #24
W-HEAT
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by harig07 View Post
Crow with MST at 2, nah. Large Heat Wave is pretty much a free turn, it's so easy to go Heat Wave, set Wattlemur end. They can't do **** and you just got yourself like 6 turns of Final Countdown, plus plenty of time to draw into whatever you want.
Yup, in fact Large Heat Wave was what spurred me to make the deck.
I was talking about the new scarecrow monster not the hank trap. Im still not sold on wave... first turn with mur its great but once the have monsters out its a dead draw and id rather be topping a fader or roar then that.... thus y i personally think to make the most of wave you have to run mass monster removal
Old 09-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #25
harig07
Respectmyauthorata

The fact of the matter is Large Heat Wave is a brilliant stall card. Run 3, open with one and stall. Depending on the match-up its utility late game may not be as great but, hey, just hope you have Torrential/Dark Hole and it'll all be good.

Scarecrow the monster is obv staple

Comment and subscribe

Quote:
Closed Thread