Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh Anime Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
Krueger
Pojo Veteran

Krueger is on a distinguished road
Default Kaiba vs. Yugi in Battle City Finals

Sorry if this topic's been done before. But I was wondering what your guys' thoughts were on who would win if plot/destiny wasn't fueling Yugi to win. They have the same cards they had in the duel and they retain all their anime effects as well.

So who would actually win in a straight-up, no-strings-attached duel? Would Yugi still prevail or would Kaiba ultimately conquer? Who had the better deck with more synergy and structure? Whose deck would work better in real life (with anime effects)?

Also, no "heart of the cards". That's like an insta-win for Yugi as well.
Krueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
BEWDMaster
Seto Kaiba

BEWDMaster is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
Sorry if this topic's been done before. But I was wondering what your guys' thoughts were on who would win if plot/destiny wasn't fueling Yugi to win. They have the same cards they had in the duel and they retain all their anime effects as well.

So who would actually win in a straight-up, no-strings-attached duel? Would Yugi still prevail or would Kaiba ultimately conquer? Who had the better deck with more synergy and structure? Whose deck would work better in real life (with anime effects)?

the thing that actualy made yugi win the duel as his cheat move with The Flute of Summoning Dragon so thus as long asd he uses that effect yugi will kinda allways take it or kaiba would have probly won
Old 07-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
bl42
Pojo Veteran

bl42 is on a distinguished road

Asking who would win in a Kaiba v Yugi match with neither player being allowed to cheat would be like asking who would win in an Adam Corn v Jason Holloway match under heavy judge surveillance.
bl42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
leokearon
Tyrant Sun Mod

leokearon is a jewel in the roughleokearon is a jewel in the roughleokearon is a jewel in the roughleokearon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Who would win? Who ever the writers wan to win

Then stand no more!
leokearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Krueger
Pojo Veteran

I guess the real question I wanted to ask was who's deck was better? Sorry that didn't really come out too clear in the OP...
Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Brandy Beavers
Janet Snakehole

Brandy Beavers is a splendid one to beholdBrandy Beavers is a splendid one to beholdBrandy Beavers is a splendid one to beholdBrandy Beavers is a splendid one to beholdBrandy Beavers is a splendid one to beholdBrandy Beavers is a splendid one to beholdBrandy Beavers is a splendid one to behold

Okay, The Flute of Summoning Dragon Dragon card was altered so Yugi could play Red-Eyes, but what difference did it make in that duel aside from some symbolism? Huh? Any attack on Red-Eyes would have went towards Black Magician if Red-Eyes weren't there. Black Paladin would have had 4400 attack instead of 4900 ATK and Yugi STILL would have played Diffusion Wave-Motion to beat Kaiba, who had 1900 life points left. The DWM play was really just for show, but without Red-Eyes he would have had to play it to win that turn. Big woop. Plus, Kaiba had like one card left in his deck, and would have deck out before Yugi, iirc.

Cards like Double Spell and Spell Absorption where in the manga way before the OCG/TCG, so...

Yugi's only noticeable "god-draw" was the anime only scene where he pitched his entire hand and drew Coins From Heaven with Magic Textbooks.
But I can hold the soft waltz down

Last edited by Brandy Beavers : 07-19-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Brandy Beavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
Carly Nagisa
Envoy of The Night

Carly Nagisa is just really niceCarly Nagisa is just really niceCarly Nagisa is just really niceCarly Nagisa is just really niceCarly Nagisa is just really nice

I doubt even in real world format that kaiba would win against yugi, some of his best cards will be banned unlike yugi's. He has like only one or two being banned.
Carly Nagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
Krueger
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrimsonrose View Post
I doubt even in real world format that kaiba would win against yugi, some of his best cards will be banned unlike yugi's. He has like only one or two being banned.
If the cards weren't abiding by the banned list.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
Avenger of Mythos
Pojo Veteran

Avenger of Mythos is on a distinguished road

Psh, Yugi dind't cheat guys, get over it. In the manga, and therefore the anime, Flute of Summoning Dragons is a Field Spell card. Both players can use the effect.
Avenger of Mythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #10
Carly Nagisa
Envoy of The Night

Carly Nagisa is just really niceCarly Nagisa is just really niceCarly Nagisa is just really niceCarly Nagisa is just really niceCarly Nagisa is just really nice

Quote:
If the cards weren't abiding by the banned list.
Kaiba's crush card be doing yugi's deck a favor with all of its random high monster crap.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
Krueger
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrimsonrose View Post
Kaiba's crush card be doing yugi's deck a favor with all of its random high monster crap.
But then no more Dark Magician. Yugi would have a heart attack.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #12
Aarikku
The Frog Sage

Aarikku will become famous soon enoughAarikku will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger of Mythos View Post
In the manga, and therefore the anime, Flute of Summoning Dragons is a Field Spell card.
That just raises further questions!
Aarikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:29 AM   #13
Schwarzschild
Pojo Veteran

Location: United Kingdom. Deck(s): Banishark, ZW, Chaos Dragons, Heraldic Beast, Chronomaly, Gimmick Puppet
Schwarzschild is on a distinguished road

Well Kaiba did help Yugi out ALOT in that duel.

Lullaby of Obedience grabbed Slifer from the bottom of Yugi's deck, then Yugi chained Exchange to grab it. If Kaiba hadn't done this he would of won with Obelisk.

Spell Sanctuary pretty much let Yugi use all his spells on Kaiba's turn.

Kaiba's Flute of Summoning Dragon summoned Yugi's Red Eyes Black Dragon for some reason...

then to finish it all off Final Attack Orders helped Yami get Dark Paladin out.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #14
Krueger
Pojo Veteran

To be fair, Kaiba was way too predictable when he activated Final Attack Orders. If he really did research Yugi's deck and strategies as much as he said he did, he should have been able to come up with something a little less predictable and a lot more effective.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:41 AM   #15
Schwarzschild
Pojo Veteran

Location: United Kingdom. Deck(s): Banishark, ZW, Chaos Dragons, Heraldic Beast, Chronomaly, Gimmick Puppet
Schwarzschild is on a distinguished road

Well anime wise his strategy wasn't bad. He had a 4500 ATK monster out, and Yugi couldn't switch to defence mode.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #16
Krueger
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Atlus View Post
Well anime wise his strategy wasn't bad. He had a 4500 ATK monster out, and Yugi couldn't switch to defence mode.
That's true but anybody that's seen Kaiba duel before would know he's about to bring out his BEUD, so they'd naturally counter.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #17
leokearon
Tyrant Sun Mod

leokearon is a jewel in the roughleokearon is a jewel in the roughleokearon is a jewel in the roughleokearon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Lullaby of Obedience grabbed Slifer from the bottom of Yugi's deck, then Yugi chained Exchange to grab it. If Kaiba hadn't done this he would of won with Obelisk.
Kaiba wouldn't have won with Obelisk Yugi was originally planning to Take Obelisk with Exchange when Lightforce Sword wore off.

Then stand no more!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:03 AM   #18
Krueger
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
Kaiba wouldn't have won with Obelisk Yugi was originally planning to Take Obelisk with Exchange when Lightforce Sword wore off.
That makes me wonder, did Kaiba have a strategy in case Obelisk was used against him? He had one for Slifer and Ra, but I'm not sure about Obelisk.

Yugi had a strategy for Slifer (Life Shaver), and Marik knew exactly how to counter Ra providing the controller could even summon it. Kaiba seems like the odd man out. All I can think of is his Cloning card.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:16 AM   #19
Carly Nagisa
Envoy of The Night

well if he did had some sot of attack reflecting card like Magic Cylinder it could counter it.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:24 AM   #20
Krueger
Pojo Veteran

He had Attack Guidance Armor and Negate Attack, as well as Command Silencer. The latter two wouldn't really help, and AGA would only give him 1 more turn and possibly destroy an opponent's monster.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:24 AM   #21
leokearon
Tyrant Sun Mod

Quote:
That makes me wonder, did Kaiba have a strategy in case Obelisk was used against him? He had one for Slifer and Ra, but I'm not sure about Obelisk.

Yugi had a strategy for Slifer (Life Shaver), and Marik knew exactly how to counter Ra providing the controller could even summon it. Kaiba seems like the odd man out. All I can think of is his Cloning card.
His Ultimate Dragon could defeat Obelisk

Then stand no more!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:25 AM   #22
Carly Nagisa
Envoy of The Night

Not if he uses UNLIMITED POWA [obelisk's original effect]
Old 07-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #23
Brandy Beavers
Janet Snakehole

Brandy Beavers is a splendid one to beholdBrandy Beavers is a splendid one to beholdBrandy Beavers is a splendid one to beholdBrandy Beavers is a splendid one to beholdBrandy Beavers is a splendid one to beholdBrandy Beavers is a splendid one to beholdBrandy Beavers is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Spell Sanctuary pretty much let Yugi use all his spells on Kaiba's turn.

Kaiba's Flute of Summoning Dragon summoned Yugi's Red Eyes Black Dragon for some reason...

then to finish it all off Final Attack Orders helped Yami get Dark Paladin out.
Well, as stated, Yugi could have just picked up Obelisk if Osiris wasn't in his hand at that time. Magic Sanctuary was the anime's way of making the plays in the manga (where all magic/traps are quickplays, but you can only use one per turn... or something. XD) and to not confuse those who picked up the card game and the anime without the manga.

In the manga, Soul Exchange (another card used in the manga after the card game) allowed both players to take each other's monsters and make a tribute with them. Kaiba took Yugi's monsters and Yugi took X-Head Cannon. Kaiba then activated Enemy Controller to take back X-Head Cannon and attempt to summon Obelisk.

In the anime, this was changed to Kaiba playing Magic Sanctuary and Yugi using Change of Heart so that the same play could happen, while still keeping both players' hand sizes the same. Why they chose to go that far with it and not give Kaiba something other than Soul Exchange to not confuse anime watchers, I'll never know.

Flute of Summon Dragon'd Red-Eyes didn't affect the end of the duel at all.

Final Attack Orders, well Kaiba's just to prideful for his own good. He's a smart guy, but Kaiba!Pride > Kaiba!Brain. lol
But I can hold the soft waltz down
Brandy Beavers is offline   Reply With Quote