Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG "Advanced" Deck Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Transcendent

Transcendent is on a distinguished road
Default Recurring Frogs - A Frog Monarch Deck

Here's a Frog Monarch deck I've been playing around with on YVD.

How does it work?

Basically, the deck relies on Substitoad and Treeborn Frog.
The desired combo is to use Substitoad + Soul Exchange / one of your frogs and start going through ALL your frogs since Substitoad does not have a limit on its effect.

First, take two Swap Frogs to dump the other 2 Substitoads remaining in the deck.

Then go through all your frogs until you have 2 Dupe Frogs left, summon 1 of them and finally tribute Substitoad itself for the last Dupe Frog. This sets up the Dupe Frog lock, not allowing your opponent to attack and on your turn you can tribute one of the 2 Treeborn Frogs over and over again.

Now your deck should have thinned your deck to have no frogs, and you can only draw into your spells, traps or Tribute monsters.

Pot of Avarice should be used while Substitoad is on the field because you can return 5 Frogs to your deck and tribute in a manner that gives the 2 Dupe Frog set up while having a +1 in your hand.

If you do not get Substitoad or One for One in opening, which is like almost 50% chance, you have almost 40% chance of getting at least 1 Swap Frog, which can summon and dump Treeborn immediately to begin some defense or tribute tempo while you draw into Substitoad / One for One.

Won't you get dead hands?
Surprisingly not.
To open with AT LEAST one of these tempo starters:
3 Substitoad, 3 Swap Frog, 2 Treeborn Frog, or 1 One for One
is a 80.82% chance.

To open with at least one summonable monster is almost 90%.

Quote:
SHINING DARKNESS UPDATE
-1 Treeborn Frog
+1 Ronintoadin

I'm open to opinions on fixes

Thanks!

Last edited by Transcendent : 06-09-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Transcendent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Doyle Cleverlobe
So good you guys

Doyle Cleverlobe is on a distinguished road

I don't really see the value of Dust Tornado over a card like Trap Stun. Maybe I'm missing something.
Doyle Cleverlobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Transcendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle Cleverlobe View Post
I don't really see the value of Dust Tornado over a card like Trap Stun. Maybe I'm missing something.
Treeborn Frog can't come back if I have Trap Stun set to attack the next turn. While Dust Tornado I can activate on their turn right when they set before they even get a chance to try to activate it on me.

If I have Tornado,
Summon Treeborn, Tribute, etc.
Main Phase 2: Set Dust Tornado activate on their turn so Treeborn is allowed to come back.

Trap Stun would need me to miss a Treeborn Frog.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
sebbe

sebbe is on a distinguished road

I dont understand the lock down, how does it work?

You said:
First, take two Swap Frogs to dump the other 2 Substitoads remaining in the deck. Then go through all your frogs until you have 2 Dupe Frogs left, summon 1 of them and finally tribute Substitoad itself for the last Dupe Frog.

You cant put all frogs in your graveyard in one turn? Swap frog cant summon a Swap frog, how this become a lock?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Evanz
Learning the Ropes

Evanz is on a distinguished road

Nice deck man but how do you counter gbs?
Evanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
Dr.Tran

Dr.Tran is on a distinguished road

Nice Deck! I just have a question, what do you think about Flip Flop Frog or Ronintoadin?
Dr.Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Transcendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
I dont understand the lock down, how does it work?

You said:
First, take two Swap Frogs to dump the other 2 Substitoads remaining in the deck. Then go through all your frogs until you have 2 Dupe Frogs left, summon 1 of them and finally tribute Substitoad itself for the last Dupe Frog.

You cant put all frogs in your graveyard in one turn? Swap frog cant summon a Swap frog, how this become a lock?
Required:
- Substitoad on Field
- A monster to tribute for Substitoad (Treeborn, Special Summon Swap, Soul Exchange, etc)

With that tributed monster, get another frog. Then tribute that Frog since Substitoad's effect is not limited to once per turn. Repeat (Substitoad can be tributed itself for the final tribute, and Swap Frogs still get effects when summoned) until your set-up is complete.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanz View Post
Nice deck man but how do you counter gbs?
GBs are a difficult match-up because Substitoad stalling into a set-up does not work. Getting the Dupe Frog lock is helpful, but dies to 1:1 destruction Glads may play.

Side deck is very important against Glads, mainly Roars. Luckily, Glads have been seeing less play.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Tran View Post
Nice Deck! I just have a question, what do you think about Flip Flop Frog or Ronintoadin?
Flip Flop Frog misses its timing when summoned by Substitoad.

Ronintoadin is new and I haven't updated the deck, but he is amazing. Makes dead cards live easily.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Transcendent : 05-10-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
Casual Infuriation

Casual Infuriation is on a distinguished road

I have tried this deck as well, and it is highly inconsistent. The best thing you can do is drop a lot of tribute summons for cards like creature swap, battle fader, cyber valley, etc.
-1 LaDD
-1 Raiza
-1 Thestalos
+2 Battle Fader or something you can special summon or even normal summon without tributes.
+1 Creature Swap or Lightning Vortex.
The only reason i say lightning vortex, is because you could VERY easily end up with only tribute summons and nothing to help get them out. This allows you to discard a dead draw that you dont really need (or even treeborn/ronintoadin) as well as stop a KO, especially since this deck runs nothing to prevent attacks.
Casual Infuriation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
iojeka

iojeka is on a distinguished road

I've been play testing this deck over the past few days on YVD and with friends irl, and I have to say it's been working quite well I love it :P. Once the frogs are in the grave, only good things happen . The only problem I've noticed is that the Pot of Avarice's don't have enough targets to need 3, so I would prefer 2 but I'm not sure what would replace the third one.
iojeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Transcendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Infuriation View Post
I have tried this deck as well, and it is highly inconsistent. The best thing you can do is drop a lot of tribute summons for cards like creature swap, battle fader, cyber valley, etc.
-1 LaDD
-1 Raiza
-1 Thestalos
+2 Battle Fader or something you can special summon or even normal summon without tributes.
+1 Creature Swap or Lightning Vortex.
The only reason i say lightning vortex, is because you could VERY easily end up with only tribute summons and nothing to help get them out. This allows you to discard a dead draw that you dont really need (or even treeborn/ronintoadin) as well as stop a KO, especially since this deck runs nothing to prevent attacks.
Yeah, I encountered that problem once 1 in about 6 games or so. I may need to use Roars instead of Dust Tornados to help solve this.

Also, this was before I put in Ronintoadin, I will test again and see if this new toad makes a big difference (it does for Synchro variants). I will definitely be taking away some Thestalos due to Infernities now.

Unfortunately, I have no Faders and if I did, I'd probably be inclined to make Alchemy Monarchs XD

Thanks

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iojeka View Post
I've been play testing this deck over the past few days on YVD and with friends irl, and I have to say it's been working quite well I love it :P. Once the frogs are in the grave, only good things happen . The only problem I've noticed is that the Pot of Avarice's don't have enough targets to need 3, so I would prefer 2 but I'm not sure what would replace the third one.
I never used Pot of Avarice unless I had Substitoad and something to tribute. When that set-up is complete, Pot of Avarice are just Pot of Greeds because whatever frogs you send back into your deck, Substitoad can put back into the grave.

Good to hear you're also having fun with this deck

Last edited by Transcendent : 05-15-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
Dragons_Quest

Dragons_Quest is on a distinguished road

-1 Ladd +1 treeborn. People will be main decking d.d. crow so having 2 will be helpful incase one gets crowed.
Dragons_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Transcendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragons_Quest View Post
-1 Ladd +1 treeborn. People will be main decking D.D. Crow so having 2 will be helpful incase one gets crowed.
Sounds like a good idea,
Thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
n00b? n00b?
Pojo Veteran

n00b? n00b? is on a distinguished road

Why no Battle Faders?
n00b? n00b? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #14
rayisherexd
Pojo Veteran

rayisherexd is on a distinguished road

U don't miss treeborn if u set Trap Stun cuz u cud activate trapstun during draw phase.then during standby ur treeborn coms out.

Additional Comment:

u don't have to miss treeborn.cuz u cud activate trapstun during ur draw phase.and then treeborn can com during standby.

Last edited by rayisherexd : 07-28-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
rayisherexd is offline   Reply With Quote