Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh Newbie Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
BlackCottonPicker
Pojo Veteran

BlackCottonPicker is on a distinguished road
Default What does "Once Per Turn" mean?

I've seen many cards that say "Once per tun, ......."

Can you use this effect on your opponent's turn?

For example:

If I use UFO Turtle's effect to bring out Lonefire Blossom durring my opponent's battle phase, can I use Lonefire Blossom's effect?
BlackCottonPicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
strikemasterice
Pojo Veteran

strikemasterice is on a distinguished road

Unless specified or extrapolated, an eff that you activate manually can only be activated during your Main Phase 1 or Main Phase 2. If it specifies "Once per turn", it can only be activated once during your MP1 or MP2.
So no activating the effs of Lonefire, Malicious, Plaguespreader, Breaker, DAD, JD, Lumina, Zombie Master etc. during your opp's turn or anywhere outside your MP1 or MP2.
strikemasterice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
BlackCottonPicker
Pojo Veteran

Okay, thanks for help
Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
PUITF
Banned User

PUITF is on a distinguished road

its exatly what it sounds like
PUITF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
seasons
Banned User

seasons is on a distinguished road

Only on your turn.
seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
LinkMaster
♥ Mugi

LinkMaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikemasterice View Post
Unless specified or extrapolated, an eff that you activate manually can only be activated during your Main Phase 1 or Main Phase 2. If it specifies "Once per turn", it can only be activated once during your MP1 or MP2.
So no activating the effs of Lonefire, Malicious, Plaguespreader, Breaker, DAD, JD, Lumina, Zombie Master etc. during your opp's turn or anywhere outside your MP1 or MP2.
Just pointing out that most of those monsters listed have Ignition effects that have no limit on how many times per turn you can use them. They can only be used during your Main Phases, but the bolded can be used as many times per turn as you are able (i.e. If you can return the Malicious' to the deck, you can keep Special Summoning them, Breaker can keep destroying Spell/Traps as long as he has Spell Counters to remove, etc.)
Old 02-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Busterslash35
Bee Dub n' Drags

Location: Carmina Gadelica Age: Currently unknown Posts: 1,211
Busterslash35 is on a distinguished road

Just curious how this applies to Skull Lair? Only your MP or can you activate it whenever? I got this used on me, I still won, but it was annoying.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
playingwithkaos

Location: 8620,Denmark (That's Europe, not somewhere down south!!)
playingwithkaos is on a distinguished road

If the trap card doesn't read "You can only use this card on your own turn" then it can be used on either players turn.
You can download the Rulebook here. The most basic rules are described in it.
playingwithkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
D-Slayer
Resistance is Futile

D-Slayer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busterslash35 View Post
Just curious how this applies to Skull Lair? Only your MP or can you activate it whenever? I got this used on me, I still won, but it was annoying.
You can activate the effect of Skull Lair on both your turn and or your opponents turn as long as you have enough monsters in your graveyard and or are able to activate its effect of fully.

If an effect is only once per turn, the card will specifically say so in some form with, "Once per turn, <effect>" or "This effect can only be used once per turn."

Otherwise, you can use the effect as many times as you want as long as you can pay the cost/meet the requirement/etc.

Hope it helps

D-Slayer

D-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
BlackCottonPicker
Pojo Veteran

Can't you remove any card with Skull Lair's effect? I have a Skull Lair, and it doesn't say monsters only.

Additional Comment:

Also, why doesn't my Wobako say that my monsters can't be destroyed, and my Bottomless also doesn't say that it can remove more than 1 Monster

Last edited by BlackCottonPicker : 02-04-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
LinkMaster
♥ Mugi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCottonPicker View Post
Can't you remove any card with Skull Lair's effect? I have a Skull Lair, and it doesn't say monsters only.
That's an old version. Newer versions will have just monsters only

Additional Comment:

Quote:

Also, why doesn't my Wobako say that my monsters can't be destroyed, and my Bottomless also doesn't say that it can remove more than 1 Monster
Again, you probably have an older vesion of Waboku.
Bottomless Trap Hole on the other hand, does say you can.

Activate only when your opponent Summons a monster(s) with 1500 or more ATK. Destroy and remove from play the monster(s).

Note the 's' in parentheses.

Last edited by LinkMaster : 02-04-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
LinkMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
BlackCottonPicker
Pojo Veteran

So they changed the effect of Waboku? Thats cool.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension567slayer View Post
You can activate the effect of Skull Lair on both your turn and or your opponents turn as long as you have enough monsters in your graveyard and or are able to activate its effect of fully.

If an effect is only once per turn, the card will specifically say so in some form with, "Once per turn, <effect>" or "This effect can only be used once per turn."

Otherwise, you can use the effect as many times as you want as long as you can pay the cost/meet the requirement/etc.

Hope it helps

D-Slayer

Then doesn't that mean that you can use DAD's and Brionac's effect on your opponent's turn?

Last edited by BlackCottonPicker : 02-04-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
LinkMaster
♥ Mugi

Quote:
So they changed the effect of Waboku? Thats cool.

Additional Comment:

Then doesn't that mean that you can use DAD's and Brionac's effect on your opponent's turn?
No. Both Dark Armed Dragon and Brionac have Ignition effects. Ignition effects can only be activated during your Main Phase (unless otherwise specified on the card). They however, can use their effects multiple times per turn, as long as you can meet any activation requirements/costs/etc.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
BlackCottonPicker
Pojo Veteran

So Skull Lair can be used on your opponent's turn because it is a trap, right?

Also, aren't ignition effects speed 2, and therefore, can't I use DAD's effect against heavy storm? Because someone said I couldn't use DAD's effect like that. He said DAD's effect destroys the card, but does not negate the card's effect. Is he right?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #15
LinkMaster
♥ Mugi

Quote:
So Skull Lair can be used on your opponent's turn because it is a trap, right?

Also, aren't ignition effects speed 2, and therefore, can't I use DAD's effect against heavy storm? Because someone said I couldn't use DAD's effect like that. He said DAD's effect destroys the card, but does not negate the card's effect. Is he right?
Yes, Skull Lair can be used during your opponent's turn.

All effect monsters effects are Spell Speed 1, except Quick Effects which are Spell Speed 2.

Because of that, Dark Armed Dragon's effect can't be chained to Heavy Storm. But let's say, hypothetically, it was a Quick Effect. You could chain it to Heavy Storm, targetting Storm. But because Dark Armed Dragon's effect only destroys, and doesn't negate, Storm will still resolve. This is also the case for card like Mystical Space Typhoon or Dust Tornado.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:32 AM   #16
Radical

Radical is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Ruling needs to be made clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkMaster View Post
Yes, Skull Lair can be used during your opponent's turn.

All effect monsters effects are Spell Speed 1, except Quick Effects which are Spell Speed 2.

Because of that, Dark Armed Dragon's effect can't be chained to Heavy Storm. But let's say, hypothetically, it was a Quick Effect. You could chain it to Heavy Storm, targetting Storm. But because Dark Armed Dragon's effect only destroys, and doesn't negate, Storm will still resolve. This is also the case for card like Mystical Space Typhoon or Dust Tornado.
I think that this ruling should be made more obvious to new players in the rulebook. I personally only became aware of this while playing an old GBA game a few days ago. This can catch many players out during a duel. For example, you cannot chain "Dust Tornado" to your opponent's "Dust Tornado" and select your opponent's "Dust Tornado" as the target. The card will be destroyed but its effect will still be resolved.

~ *Radical . . .
Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #17
LinkMaster
♥ Mugi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical View Post
I think that this ruling should be made more obvious to new players in the rulebook. I personally only became aware of this while playing an old GBA game a few days ago. This can catch many players out during a duel. For example, you cannot chain "Dust Tornado" to your opponent's "Dust Tornado" and select your opponent's "Dust Tornado" as the target. The card will be destroyed but its effect will still be resolved.

~ *Radical . . .
Personally, I never thought MST negated. Negate and destroy are two completely different mechanics.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #18
D-Slayer
Resistance is Futile

D-Slayer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkMaster View Post
Personally, I never thought MST negated. Negate and destroy are two completely different mechanics.
yep tis true Negate is not the same as Destroy

Okay...I'll try to explain this as best I can; I have a lot of trouble getting local players around me new to the game to understand this very concept but here goes.

Let me give a couple of examples here: Solemn Judgment negates a card; Mystical Space Typhoon destroys one.

If you use Solemn Judgment against an opponent's Heavy Storm, it's as if that Heavy Storm was never played (negated) and goes to the graveyard (destroyed).

If you use Mystical Space Typhoon, okay, the Heavy Storm is destroyed but its effect still works. The chain would look like this:

Chain Link 1: Heavy Storm
Chain Link 2: Mystical Space Typhoon

Chains resolve backwards.

Chain link 2 resolves, so Mystical Space Typhoon destroys Heavy Storm.
Chain link 1 resolves -- Heavy Storm's effect still works because it wasn't negated.

There IS one situation in which just "destroying" a card in chain will be enough to stop it. This is when the card you're destroying is a CONTINUOUS Spell or Trap card.

For example...let's say your opponent attacks. You use Sakuretsu Armor, which would destroy their monster. The opponent chains Royal Decree, hoping to stop your Sakuretsu. You chain Dust Tornado to Royal Decree. (Remember, Royal Decree isn't active yet so you can still chain traps to its activation.)

Chain would look like this:

Step 1: Sakuretsu Armor
Step 2: Royal Decree
Step 3: Dust Tornado

Dust Tornado resolves first, destroying Royal Decree.

Royal Decree resolves next. BUT REMEMBER, Continuous cards are only active as long as they are on the field! Royal Decree's effect would activate here if it were still on the field. Royal Decree wasn't "officially" negated but essentially it was as it no longer gets its effect.

Finally, Sakuretsu Armor would resolve and destroy the opponent's monster.

Hopefully this will give you a starting point; what you should take away from this is that a card actually has to "negate" a card and not just "destroy" it, unless the card is a Continuous Spell or Trap. The only time cards like Dust Tornado and Mystical Space Typhoon and other similar cards actually works as if it "negates" something is if it's chained to a card that must stay on the field for its effect to continue to apply (Equip spells, Continuous Spell/Trap cards, Field Spells.

though i agree this should be included in the next version of the released rulebook if not already included in there

imean if i had a penny for everytime i heard or was asked myself as to whether MST or Dust Tornado etc negate a cards effect by destroying it - I'd be richer than Rupert Murdoch

D-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #19
Busterslash35
Bee Dub n' Drags

Location: Carmina Gadelica Age: Currently unknown Posts: 1,211
Busterslash35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical View Post
For example, you cannot chain "Dust Tornado" to your opponent's "Dust Tornado" and select your opponent's "Dust Tornado" as the target.
Why not? I think that is perfectly legal, albeit a stupid move to make.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #20
playingwithkaos

Location: 8620,Denmark (That's Europe, not somewhere down south!!)
playingwithkaos is on a distinguished road

Activated=Destroyed.
An example:
You have 2 BlackWings on your side of the field and 1 Icarus Attack.
Your opponent has a Monster on the field and plays MST to destroy your Icarus Attack. You chain I.A., but you can NOT destroy your opponents monster AND the MST, as it has allready been activated/used, so you have to destroy your own monster as well.
playingwithkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #21
Masterdramon
Iroh+Pony = Irohny

Masterdramon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithkaos View Post
Activated=Destroyed.
An example:
You have 2 BlackWings on your side of the field and 1 Icarus Attack.
Your opponent has a Monster on the field and plays MST to destroy your Icarus Attack. You chain I.A., but you can NOT destroy your opponents monster AND the MST, as it has allready been activated/used, so you have to destroy your own monster as well.
That is incorrect. In this scenario the only thing that you cannot target is Icarus Attack itself.

Activated cards remain on the field until the entire chain resolves. As such, while MST is "marked for destruction" at the end of the chain it is still face-up on the field until then. The fact that it is "marked for destruction" prevents it from being returned to the hand or Deck (so something like Phoenix Wing Wind Blast couldn't target it), but anything that would send it to the Graveyard or Removed Zone will still work. So Icarus Attack would indeed be able to target MST in this scenario.

Hope this helps!
Politics is not about money.
Politics is not about winning for the sake of winning.
Politics is about the improvement of people's lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Obama
There is not a liberal America and a conservative America —
There is the United States of America.
* My 5D's FanFiction: My Dark King

* TV Tropes Page: Fanfic/MyDarkKing
Masterdramon is offline   Reply With Quote