Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Discussions, News & Gossip
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
purity_reloaded
Den Mother Of YGO

purity_reloaded is on a distinguished road
Default KDE Judge Program – Most Commonly Asked Questions, with Answers Even!

Hi everyone,

Well, things have changed up a bit, so I’d like to explain the program as it currently stands, and tell you what to do should you wish to join.

Let’s start by explaining the Judge Program!

Now then – first off, the Judge Program is not the mythical “Judge Test”. There is no Judge Test, there is the Rulings Comprehension Level 1 Test, and the Policy Comprehension Level 1 Test. Taking (and passing) these tests does not make you a judge, it certifies you with a Level 1 knowledge of Rulings Comprehension and/or Policy Comprehension.

The Judge Program is much more than tests – it is the experience of judging and volunteering for events. It is the standards I’ve set in place for judge gifts, and expected judge behavior. It is sponsorship and travel assist for eligible judges who want to travel to bigger events, in order to develop their skills as judges. It also has myself as KDE Judge Manager, to develop and Supervise programs for judges, and provide advice and answers for judges (as far as I’m able).
I’ve even got a keen email address for you to use for judging-related questions, check it out! It is us-judgesupport@konami.com – please use this email address if you want to talk about judging, and it will go straight to me. 

As the program continues to develop, it will encompass several levels of testing, along with instructional materials to guide judges through their duties. It will include online resources and new and exciting rewards for hard-working, dedicated judges.

Judges in North and Latin America may consider themselves under my umbrella – I’m responsible for maintaining judge contact information, and keeping the judges up to date on what is going on. I am your primary resource, although I hope to have extra sources of information for Latin American judges, to provide you with more local support.

Judges in Europe and Oceania – you will have an additional layer of support, from KDE Europe. While I will still be developing the tests and overall Judge Program of which you are part, the local OP office in Europe will assist you with your more immediate concerns, such as staffing at events. Judges in these territories can use this email: yugioh@konami-europe.net, to access the OP team in Europe.
I will be providing the European office with copies of all of the judge lists I maintain for these territories.

I’m very pleased with the interest so many of you have taken in KDE’s Judge Program, and I think we have come a very long way since we began almost five years ago. I hope you’ll continue to bear with me, because I’ve got more and better things in mind in the coming years.

This brings us to...

How To Join The Judge Program

You certainly don’t need to do these steps in the following order, I just think it’s a sensible way to go about it. Mix it up by all means, if that works best for you.

1) Think About Why You Want To Join
What interests you about the Judge Program? Maybe you don’t always want to play and would like a way to stay involved in the game, perhaps you want to boost the OP in your area, possibly you’re dreaming of “free” booster packs.
Or maybe you just want to get emails from me. I don't know.
Whatever the reason, it’s a good idea to figure out what motivates you to join.

2) Please Study the Rulebook
I know you think you know how the game works, but I bet there are a few things on which you are not exactly solid. Get a rulebook, read it, study it. You really need to know this stuff. Go on, indulge me. Study the rulebook.

3) Find Some Places Where You Can Judge
Taking the test isn’t going to make you a judge, only judging is going to make you a judge. Are there stores or Tournament Organizers in your area? Get in touch with them and express your interest in judging . Sure, I’ll be sending you emails about upcoming SJCs, Mall Tours, and so forth but you should be doing some judging while you wait for those to arrive!

4) Take the RC – 1 Test
You will need to pass this test in order to register as a judge - it will give you an idea of the basic entry level of rulings comprehension you will need in order to function effectively as a judge. It should give you a sense of pride in your knowledge when you pass the test. Unless you just grab an answer key off the internet someplace and cheat, then I am not quite sure how you will feel. The test won’t have done you any good, though.
Some things to note before you take the test:
  • Please read the entire Test Page. Yes, even the stuff underneath the link to the test,that is important stuff. Reading all of it will prevent you from emailing me to ask me questions that I have already answered – on the Test Page.
  • If you do not have a COSSY ID, you can get one at a Tournament Store. Read the test page carefully for advice on how to proceed. Please do not email me to ask, because all I will do is copy/paste what it says on the Test Page, and I will frown as I do it.
  • If you do not have access to a store, I cannot send you a COSSY number by mail/email. If you are in Europe or Oceania, I especially can’t help you because I work for a different company. Try yugioh@konami-europe.net and see what they can do to help you out.
  • Oh, and the COSSY ID field in the test? That’s your COSSY number, dearies. Not your username. It is also not your UDE number, which is no use to you here.
  • Taking the test over and over to try and get a better passing score than 80 won’t get you anywhere. I’ll still only give you the 80. I’m thrilled that some of you love the test so much that you cannot stop taking it, but my life will be a lot easier if you’ll taper off.
  • I cannot troubleshoot or “fix” the test for you. If it’s not working for you, try again later, perhaps with a different computer or browser. I do too many jobs as it is, I am not going to join the online development team too.
You can access the test by clicking this link which I’ve thoughtfully provided for you - http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/judges/index.html

5) Wait Cheerfully For Your Confirmation Email
As I said on the test page, you aren’t going to get an immediate response to your test when you pass. You will have to wait. How long will you have to wait? Well, it says “within a few weeks” on the Test Page, so let’s go with that.
I’m pretty good about getting the data up to date and everyone emailed within a week or so, but I’m giving myself that cushion in case I get overwhelmingly busy with something else. I usually process tests on Wednesdays, so you can plan loosely around that.
Nothing miraculous will happen to you on the day you get your confirmation email, so don’t get too uptight about waiting for it. Incidentally, I do send these emails out in bulk, so make sure your spam filter isn’t blocking us-judgesupport@konami.com.
PS – A lot of you make spelling and other errors in your email addresses when you enter them to take the test. I use the email addresses as you type them, so please make sure you include .com & etc., and have everything spelled correctly.
I will occasionally look up test results for people, but not on demand. You’ll have to wait until I have time.

6) Respond With The Requested Information
When you get your confirmation email, it will have a list of information to send me. I will not include you on the judge roster, even if you passed the test, unless you get back to me with this info. Remember, this is a Rulings Comprehension test, not a Judge test.
  • If you do not have access to a COSSY ID and still want to be placed on the Judge Roster, email me at us-judgesupport@konami.com.
  • Yes, you can still play if you join the Judge Program.
  • No, you will not be automatically registered as a judge at events without your knowledge if you join the Judge Program. That would be silly

7) Activate Yourself In the Program
OK! You’ve joined! I’m delighted to welcome you to the ranks of those that judge – now get out there and make me proud.

You will hear from me about YCSs and the like, but for Regional and local level judging, it’s all on you. Get in touch with your local stores and TOs, and let them know you are interested (hey, that’s Step 3!) Quite often, stores and TO’s will contact me looking for judges, and if you’ve sent in accurate contact information I can pass their requests along to you.

Please network with your fellow judges, in person and online, to get more insight into the craft of judging. I will be in touch with you to tell you about resources that are available to help you out, make use of them! I hope to see a lot of OP in all areas, and want judges to feel prepared – in order to do so, however, you’ll need to take an active role. The more you put into being a judge, the more you will get out of it.

All right, I think that about sums it up…I’ve probably forgotten a few things so please feel free to ask me questions here in the thread if you would like. I’m pleased to note there are over 7,000 entries in the RC-1 Certified Judge Roster, and I expect this number to continue to grow.

Julia

Edit: Updated with current information .

Last edited by purity_reloaded : 01-02-2014 at 03:21 PM.
purity_reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Vice
People's Person

Vice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Or maybe you just want to get emails from me.
This is the only reason why I took the test. :P
Vice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
purity_reloaded
Den Mother Of YGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vice View Post
I'll admit it, I lol'd

Come to think of it, you were the one that "leaked" the email I sent to you in March, introducing myself as the new KDE Judge Manager...
Old 11-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
breakerDS
I'm a Gaga

breakerDS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Successful stalker is successful

breakerDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
ralphalaus
ラルフ マナハン

ralphalaus is on a distinguished road

Thanks Julia! I'm pretty sure I responded to the e-mail already. Will be awaiting info about future events.
Pokemon - Professor 10-11 Season

My Youtube Channel

Resume
YUGIOH
6 Regional Tops (5 top 8's)
Winner of Side event random draw YCS Toronto 10
Judge 3 YCS, Nats 09, WCQ 10, 12. H. Judge Regionals Oct 2010 @ Oshawa
Qualified Nats/WCQ 05, 09, 11, 12
POKEMON - Topped Reg, Nats 09
ralphalaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
ff6man
King of Sparks

ff6man is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to hearing about more regionals in the Toronto Area, planning on contacting the TO as soon as they're announced.

Leader of Team Sparks
A lot of Regional Top 8's
8-0 (1'st after swiss) Canadian Nats '09
Multiple Feature Matches
ff6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
Tcwalter
Didactic

Tcwalter is on a distinguished road

I'm only 14 but I passed the test and would like to judge. Is not being 16 a big deal? I assume so, but I just want to make sure because I would very much like to judge.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
TeslaMouse
1-13-14 <3

TeslaMouse is on a distinguished road

I dont have a card store to judge at near me. Is that a problem?

Pokémon x friend code: 4613 7604 1572

SV: 4086
TeslaMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:27 AM   #9
Ganondorf
Power of Kings

Ganondorf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcwalter View Post
I'm only 14 but I passed the test and would like to judge. Is not being 16 a big deal? I assume so, but I just want to make sure because I would very much like to judge.
labor laws prolly...just a guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang View Post
Oh god, the pain of pulling Super balls.

Click Here to see the FULL list of Female Cards in the TCG and OCG
Ganondorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
shd0w

shd0w is on a distinguished road

i just passed last night so once i get the e-mail i'll respond asap
shd0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Commander xmx

Commander xmx is on a distinguished road

I did not pass, I suck 55%

EXOIDA FTK DECK LIST

I sure am glad there are great A-Holes on this site like 118-sethshadow...
Commander xmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
AGaW

AGaW is on a distinguished road

I've responded to the confirmation email once with my info and Julia resent me the confirmation email. :O I resent my info after I got the resent confirmation email, just incase.
AGaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Tcwalter
Didactic

Tcwalter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious King View Post
labor laws prolly...just a guess
I would assume it is either that or the fact that people would trust my rulings less than an older judge even if I knew just as much as they did.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
gtprynce
1st Edition Only

gtprynce is on a distinguished road

Hey Julia, I just received your "Judge Program Welcome Email" and I am kind of new to judging, so I wanted to know: Do judges receive any kind of compensation for judging at Sneak Peaks and/or Regionals? Also, am I still considered RC -1 Certified or Lv.1 Judge?
gtprynce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
Vice
People's Person

RC-1 certified til you start judging

Of course there is compensation for volunteering your time for Regionals ans such.

Also Julia, To contact you should I only use the Usjudgesupport@konami.com from now on or can we still use the personal one if we have it?

Last edited by Vice : 12-01-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #16
yugiDADioh
Light=Judgment

yugiDADioh is on a distinguished road

Hey.

If I took and passed the test the first day or so it was up, should I have received the e-mail by now? I have not and just want to know if I need to do anything to reconfirm my interest.

If it was sent and went to spam it has already been deleted. If the email addy was wrong, then, well, there is no way for me to know.

What should I do?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #17
Chaos Corps

Chaos Corps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugiDADioh View Post
Hey.

If I took and passed the test the first day or so it was up, should I have received the e-mail by now? I have not and just want to know if I need to do anything to reconfirm my interest.

If it was sent and went to spam it has already been deleted. If the email addy was wrong, then, well, there is no way for me to know.

What should I do?
Depends what your score was. If it was an 80, you'll be waiting awhile. I passed with an 80% a few weeks ago, and still haven't' received the email. Patience is a virtue.

I do hope I didn't delete the email tho
Chaos Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #18
mbond79
Professional Bum

mbond79 is on a distinguished road

Hey Julia...
If we gave you all our info for your judge list before the test was out do you still need us to send in our info again...

TIA
The 'Biggg' One
Michael B.
mbond79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #19
purity_reloaded
Den Mother Of YGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtprynce View Post
Hey Julia, I just received your "Judge Program Welcome Email" and I am kind of new to judging, so I wanted to know: Do judges receive any kind of compensation for judging at Sneak Peaks and/or Regionals? Also, am I still considered RC -1 Certified or Lv.1 Judge?
You're RC-1 certified.

At the moment, it is up to the store to gift judges working Sneaks, I'm trying to come up with a workable solution for a KDE provided gift, but there are a lot of snags.

For Regionals, yes, the gift is standardized. Judges working a Regional will receive a $30.00 per diem to help offset their food and travel costs, along with 24 booster packs for the day's work.
Judges, of course, are expected to perform to an acceptable standard in order to receive their gift - judges should be on time, stay focused on the job and out on the floor, and work to keep the tournament moving.

Judges get a nice gift for working SJCs, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbond79 View Post
Hey Julia...
If we gave you all our info for your judge list before the test was out do you still need us to send in our info again...

TIA
The 'Biggg' One
Michael B.
Yes I do! I would like all the judge info to be standardized and in one file. Please send it in again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos corps View Post
Depends what your score was. If it was an 80, you'll be waiting awhile. I passed with an 80% a few weeks ago, and still haven't' received the email. Patience is a virtue.

I do hope I didn't delete the email tho
Actually, your score hasn't got anything to do with it - I sort out all the passing scores and send one email to everyone in that batch. If you didn't get it, it's because you either didn't show up in the log for some reason, or there was a problem with your email.

You can send me an email with your name and COSSY ID number and I will check the logs, but you'll have to wait til I've got time to do it, I probably won't have time to do it on the spot. This applies to anyone who took the test before Monday this week, was told they passed, and actually provided a COSSY number and an email address.
us-judgesupport@konami.com, but you'll have to wait until I've got time to look. Please don't send repeat emails asking me if I've done it yet.

Quote:
RC-1 certified til you start judging

Of course there is compensation for volunteering your time for Regionals ans such.

Also Julia, To contact you should I only use the Usjudgesupport@konami.com from now on or can we still use the personal one if we have it?
You can use mine if you have it.

AND ANOTHER THING

You know, as long as I'm here...let me give you a short explanation of how your test results are processed.

1) I pull the data out of the online test log, and sort out the validated tests.
2) I copy the email addresses as they are typed into the test field, and send out the "Congratulations on your certification" email to everyone who has passed the test for that batch.
3) Several email addresses are automatically rejected because people leave off the @something.thing part of the address (kind of important), and so forth.
4) Then a bunch bounce back for various reasons. Never fails.
5) Then people start emailing me with the requested information, to join the judge program.
6) I put their information into a spreadsheet and gloat over it.
7) I send out periodic emails telling them about what is going on in the judge program, and OP.
8) I tell people on Pojo that I don't know why they didn't get the email yet, and to email me and wait for me to look it up in the test log.

C'est fin!

Last edited by purity_reloaded : 12-02-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #20
Chaos Corps

I received an email asking for my information, is that the email that you usually receive for completing, and passing the RC-1?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #21
Vice
People's Person

Yes, Yes it is.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #22
Chaos Corps

Quote:
Yes, Yes it is.
Sounds good, Hopefully I'll be judging my stores regional the 21st.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #23
jesschow12
@IR/\/\@N

jesschow12 is on a distinguished road

julia ,i have a q for u

i am not from USA or europe ,western side.I am from singapore.I tried to take the test and in the end it needs COSSY ID which i dont have,it is also impossible for me to get the cossy id through the stores[since they are from USA]

is there any other way i can get the cossy ID?
I DO BUY cards,just lmk the prices.
jesschow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #24
dadsvirus
BrotherHood******

dadsvirus is on a distinguished road

Hey julia,

This info was awsome and i am in the process of emailing you off all my info (in an excel spreedsheet omg!) lol anyway just a quick question, what if i have 2 locals can i put in both names?
dadsvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #25
purity_reloaded
Den Mother Of YGO

Quote:
I received an email asking for my information, is that the email that you usually receive for completing, and passing the RC-1?
That is the very one. I hope you sent me your info!

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Sounds good, Hopefully I'll be judging my stores regional the 21st.
Make sure you talk to the store!

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsvirus View Post
Hey julia,

This info was awsome and i am in the process of emailing you off all my info (in an excel spreedsheet omg!) lol anyway just a quick question, what if i have 2 locals can i put in both names?
Sure, list any stores at which you play or judge on a consistent basis.

NOW THEN YOUR ATTENTION PLZ

I'm going through the emails people have sent, asking why they have not received confirmation of their tests.
A great many of them did not receive confirmation of their tests because they didn't provide their entire COSSY number (I need all ten digits) or they left an incomplete email address. Please make sure you are entering your information carefully!

THANK YOU THAT IS ALL

Last edited by purity_reloaded : 12-04-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost