Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Gossip
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
CrystalBeast8
Classy Kid

Talking Why are Yu-Gi-Oh cards so expensive?

Okay so one day last year in January my dad and I were talking in the car. He asked me what's one of my favourite cards, I told him one of my favourite cards is Jinzo. He asked me how much it was worth. So at that time when Jinzo wasn't reprinted, he was worth around 35-40$. My dad asked me why I didn't sell the card, so I told him I needed it in my Machine deck.

Just then, I realized that it takes Konami 25 cents to print a piece of cardboard and when they sell booster packs, they're worth $3.99. And for single cards like Crush Card Virus, it's like turning a quarter into $250.00 worth of quarters..

And another day when I told my dad that a SJC Crush Card Virus was worth 1000$, he told me that he would've traded that for a Big Screen HD TV.

Ever wondered why 25 cent pieces of paper are worth a lot of money?

Discuss and Subscribe

Old 05-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
Fraz
Scottish Duelist

Answer is very obvious.

Yugioh is a popular game. Everyone wants to have the best cards. Only so many cards can printed. High demand and low quantity makes prices skyrocket.

You're wrong about konami making a 25c card into $250. Konami don't see any of that money. They basicly make a set amount from box sales no matter which cards are in the boxes. The secondary market drives box sales however, so if cards are sold for unbelievable amounts konami are profiting, though indirectly.

Last edited by Fraz : 05-30-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
ojama16

Some random greedy idiot decides to try to get as much as he possible can by setting some randomly high price on ebay(for example) and then everyone is expected to pay/trade in value that same price since someone else did it

Team Il Weed since 3-27-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dark_Monarch View Post
Slipknot>Disturbed>Metallica>Dimmu Borgir>Korn>everything else>dog excreta>cat piss>vomit>Miley Cyrus
Old 05-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
icemetroid
Totally Tubular

First, it costs much less than $0.25 per each card, maybe like 3 or 4 cents for commons and 10 cents for holos. Taking your example, they'd lose money if they only sold the packs to stores for $4 if it costed that much to make. Also, they don't sell the packs to the stores for $4, they sell them to them for like $1 or $2, and then the store prices them at $4 so they make their money from the product. Also, Konami doesn't directly sell single cards to the consumers, so they would never make $250 for 10 cents worth of cardboard. What happens is that the secondary market determines the price, and this comes from the stores that buy from Konami or the consumers that buy from the store.

Therefore Konami doesn't just pocket money from singles, just the packs and certain events, such as Nats and SJCs.

Cards are expensive because the secondary market wants to pay that much. It has nothing to do with Konami, they have no control over how much a card is worth and they don't even sell the individual card to the direct market reguardless.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
EpsilonKage
Electric Flower

The card itself is "worth" nothing. It only gains "worth" because that's what people give it.

You might regret it
Old 05-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
WaTs Up

A card really is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
PKpwnage
Pojo Comic Relief

Because people are willing to pay $20 for an Armed Wing.

That's why. Seriously, the card sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avada999 View Post
this one time at duel camp....
Old 05-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
Saifullah
Drifting

Try going to flea markets, I get my cards dirt cheap at them. You can get singles WAY lower than ebay price, and if you are lucky you'll find someone trying to get rid of their stuff for extremely low prices.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
Dark-Lord9
The Beast

Isn't money it self paper? I hate when people started using the name cardboard cards because it disrespectful in my mind . Its either if you have the money and want to invest in buying cards or not. Stop crying about it.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
KohanimTCG
Pojo Veteran

There are a lot more costs that need to be taken into account in addition to the cost of the cardboard that cards are printed on.

Someone needs to create the art and card effect for each card, for instance, and that costs money. Advertising and packaging costs money. Organized play with prize support costs money and is the reason people are willing to pay $250 for CCV.

I'm sure a Konami rep can (and likely will) come in here and rattle off a long list of costs that are overlooked by consumers. Those costs are part of the reason cards are so expensive.

The other part of the reason cards are so expensive is simply the high demand. As Fraz just said, "Yugioh is a popular game." People are willing to pay money for great cards, so even if Konami could charge less for packs and still make profit, they don't need to.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
Z҉A҉L҉G҉O̚̕̚
Pojo Veteran

Greeeeeed.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #12
EckesDee

Economy.

A can of "Coke" costs probably 5 or less coke. Then with the aluminum it's probably 5 more cents...

10 cents for a coke can.

Its how you make money...This is the laws of life. You have a trade, you sell your products for more.

It's called "Profit".

Not to be rude, but honestly.. this is a pointless thread. You can point to anything and relate to this topic. Walmart...FastFood, etc.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
ChillyDawg41
SCRUB!!!

why are videogames and systems so expensive? all they are are circuitry, plastic, and metal. but, multiply the amount of money needed to MASS produce the product along with the cost of employees, electricity to power the machines that make them, etc. it cost far more than 25 cents to make a card. and the reason the prices are so high is that people value them at that price. its about supply and demand. if u buy a pack at a store it'll be 3.99. but go to a random duelist and tell him u wanna buy 8 commons and a rare and offer him a dollar he/she will consider the dollar a profit. basically, if u dont like how much a single is worth monetarily, just trade for it.
^^^^Truest statement

128th sjc philly 07 & sjc dc 07
72nd SJC philly 08 & round 9 feature
42nd Edison regional oct 08
2013 standup regional
2013 team regional
Old 05-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
Saifullah
Drifting

Plus people put effort into making the cards. You pay for that as well.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #15
angrynadya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Lord9 View Post
Isn't money it self paper? I hate when people started using the name cardboard cards because it disrespectful in my mind . Its either if you have the money and want to invest in buying cards or not. Stop crying about it.
Paper money is usually a fiat currency that is based more in faith than "hard" backup like gold and silver.

Basically YGO cards work the same way. If a secret is released but it really sucks badly chances are it won't be expensive. Medium supply and really really low demand make it dirt cheap. But take a common card like Smashing Ground when it was released and it costs 10 bucks because there is a high demand and limited supply for something perceived as valuable. Without the faith of the consumer the card is worthless.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #16
Nosferatu sarge
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemetroid View Post
First, it costs much less than $0.25 per each card, maybe like 3 or 4 cents for commons and 10 cents for holos. Taking your example, they'd lose money if they only sold the packs to stores for $4 if it costed that much to make. Also, they don't sell the packs to the stores for $4, they sell them to them for like $1 or $2, and then the store prices them at $4 so they make their money from the product. Also, Konami doesn't directly sell single cards to the consumers, so they would never make $250 for 10 cents worth of cardboard. What happens is that the secondary market determines the price, and this comes from the stores that buy from Konami or the consumers that buy from the store.

Therefore Konami doesn't just pocket money from singles, just the packs and certain events, such as Nats and SJCs.

Cards are expensive because the secondary market wants to pay that much. It has nothing to do with Konami, they have no control over how much a card is worth and they don't even sell the individual card to the direct market reguardless.
Your'e kidding right? There is no way wholesalers get that much of a discount, you obviously know nothing on this subject so please stop saying things like this as if they are facts.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #17
Card Guardian
FARUKON Vet

Location: Travelling through time and space on a beam of light

The same reason why diamonds are expensive. They are seemingly idiotic yet people put a high value on them.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #18
Nomad_Skies
Feathered Valiant

Location: The Canadian West Format: Format? I have no format. I am a Renegade, lost in the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKpwnage View Post
Because people are willing to pay $20 for an Armed Wing.

That's why. Seriously, the card sucks.
While the card itself may not be too great, the fact that it's a level 6 dark blackwing with a decent effect makes it a staple for Blackwing decks.

That's why people value it so high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojama16 View Post
Welcome to Pojo.com Forums. Please leave all morals, common sense, and the knowledge of a search button at the door.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #19
Saifullah
Drifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Card Guardian View Post
The same reason why diamonds are expensive. They are seemingly idiotic yet people put a high value on them.
I mean seriously, the only difference between graphite, which you can buy from any store that sells pencils for dirt cheap, and diamond, which goes for thousands, is the bond connectivity and orientation in space of the carbon-carbon bonds. So lame :\
Old 05-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #20
PKpwnage
Pojo Comic Relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad_Skies View Post
While the card itself may not be too great, the fact that it's a level 6 dark blackwing with a decent effect makes it a staple for Blackwing decks.

That's why people value it so high.
But...it...sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avada999 View Post
this one time at duel camp....
Old 05-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #21
Grandmakiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosbringer127 View Post
I mean seriously, the only difference between graphite, which you can buy from any store that sells pencils for dirt cheap, and diamond, which goes for thousands, is the bond connectivity and orientation in space of the carbon-carbon bonds. So lame :\
but diamonds are pretty...
Old 05-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #22
Saifullah
Drifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmakiller View Post
but diamonds are pretty...

Ya, but so is a stack of benjamins
Old 05-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #23
CrystalBeast8
Classy Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKpwnage View Post
But...it...sucks.
ROFL.

Even if it sucks. I NEED ONE.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #24
icemetroid
Totally Tubular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu sarge View Post
Your'e kidding right? There is no way wholesalers get that much of a discount, you obviously know nothing on this subject so please stop saying things like this as if they are facts.
are you an idiot? Wholesalers need to make a profit as well. We're dealing with $4 by the time it gets to the consumer. We're not taking a plasma screen TV, we're talking $4 worth of cards. Wholesalers will buy them for $1-$2 a pack from Konami, and they will sell them to the stores for somewhere between $2 and $4.

Stop acting stuck up, I bet you I know a hell of a lot more as far as marketing goes than you do.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #25
Nomad_Skies
Feathered Valiant

Location: The Canadian West Format: Format? I have no format. I am a Renegade, lost in the net.

Why is meth so expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojama16 View Post
Welcome to Pojo.com Forums. Please leave all morals, common sense, and the knowledge of a search button at the door.
Closed Thread