Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Single Card Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
sardO

Default Scrap-Iron Scarecrow

Scrap-Iron Scarecrow
Activate only when an opponent's monster declares an attack. Negate the attack, and Set this card face-down again instead of sending it to the Graveyard.

Does infinite attack negation have a place in any main or side deck this format? What decks can use it and what decks does it hurt?

Dr. Vellian Crowler: "You try to expel one kid, and the entire world turns against you."

Jaden Yuki: "Okay, so if I win, Jasmine's free!"
Jasmine: "And if you lose?"
Jaden Yuki: "What if I lose?"
[pause]
Jaden Yuki: "Whoah, didn't really think of that..."
sardO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Fever
Dark World Master

Not really infinite. lol. Just one attack per Battle Phase. But it is really good.
Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Buster-Blader
Optimistic Vet

i see this card in a whole new light because of my match against the spirit Vet Archlord_Zerato101, this card makes up for the occasional bad field presense in his spirit deck it was almsot too good to be true !!.

too bad it isnt chainable owever its prone to every removal played.
Buster-Blader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
Fever
Dark World Master

I actually don't have any...........
Old 12-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
xc_hawk
Stand Aside.

When the format slows down, I'm willing to bet scrap-iron will see play. The card is a great piece of one-sided stall, barring the vulnerability to s/t destruction. Right now, waboku/threatening roar has the edge because it can stop swarms.

I mourn for you, fine toad...

Team Fist Pump
xc_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
breakerDS
I'm a Gaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsuicidebyaccidentX View Post
I actually don't have any...........
Well it's easy to get since it's in the Yusei Starter Deck.

This card must be side-deck prepared if you face glads

breakerDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
Fever
Dark World Master

Lol yeah. It is really good against Gladiator Beasts.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #8
xc_hawk
Stand Aside.

Quote:
Lol yeah. It is really good against Gladiator Beasts.
decent, not great. Remember that they can still tag during your turn (F/D hoplo, mirror wall, waboku, etc.), and can still contact for gyzarus

I mourn for you, fine toad...

Team Fist Pump
xc_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
Fever
Dark World Master

Meh, they are not the only ones with stuff. Especially if you have 3 face down or something. lol.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
King Atem
Pharaonic Veteran

Quote:
Meh, they are not the only ones with stuff. Especially if you have 3 face down or something. lol.
That's really not very likely to happen. lol
King Atem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
prophecy250
Untouched User

this card is amazingly annoying to fight against. i found that some people might not waste valuable m/t removal on this. also, it can be used to cause the opponent to summon more monsters in hopes of getting attacks though...then you can bait them into a mirror force or torrential
prophecy250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
SInge
Kin~ni Shinobi

Semi-infinite attack negation with the Dark Door to limit attacks to one.

Stopping an attack well just saves your LP along with any other benefits card effect provides. Don Zaloog with discard ability.
http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread...9#post16586469
Test the Special Summoning Restriction rule.
SInge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
Fever
Dark World Master

Oh well, it still slows them down.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
Archlord_Zerato101
"Never Compromise"

this cards existance is the reason i can use my spirit deck and have GB as such an easy win when i pay against that decktype.

SIS is amazing it might as well be a supprt card for spirits lol.
Archlord_Zerato101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #15
hotfoilcard
captain spaulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardO View Post
Scrap-Iron Scarecrow
Activate only when an opponent's monster declares an attack. Negate the attack, and Set this card face-down again instead of sending it to the Graveyard.

Does infinite attack negation have a place in any main or side deck this format? What decks can use it and what decks does it hurt?
This card is actually much more disruptive than I originally thought. Combined with stuff like Necro Gardna, multi attack cards like Dark Resonator, frequently generated tokens (Black Garden etc.), and something like Threatening Roar, D Prions etc. this card can cause lots of headaches.

It's weaknesses are basically Decree and that it's not chainable like Roar to destruction.

As soon as you know your opponent has one of these set you should be trying to space it, dust it, flip decree, breaker it, snipe it etc.

Annoying card is annoying.
hotfoilcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #16
PlanetCrack
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfoilcard View Post
This card is actually much more disruptive than I originally thought. Combined with stuff like Necro Gardna, multi attack cards like Dark Resonator, frequently generated tokens (Black Garden etc.), and something like Threatening Roar, D Prions etc. this card can cause lots of headaches.

It's weaknesses are basically Decree and that it's not chainable like Roar to destruction.

As soon as you know your opponent has one of these set you should be trying to space it, dust it, flip decree, breaker it, snipe it etc.

How come no one mentions the fact that since it's not chainable, Judgment Dragon, Celestia, and Dark Armed Dragon <pojo_ ownz><pojo_ ownz><pojo_ ownz><pojo_ ownz> all over it?
PlanetCrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #17
hotfoilcard
captain spaulding

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetCrack View Post
How come no one mentions the fact that since it's not chainable, Judgment Dragon, Celestia, and Dark Armed Dragon <pojo_ ownz><pojo_ ownz><pojo_ ownz><pojo_ ownz> all over it?
I thought I did just mention it's lack of chainability as a weakness?

Generally speaking this card doesn't see High Tier Competitive play. I was trying to give it credit however for being the Grand Annoyance that it is.
hotfoilcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #18
masterofthechaos
Master of Bubbles

Location: Right behind you, in fact I am you, only different because I have the power of bubbles

Quote:
I thought I did just mention it's lack of chainability as a weakness?

Generally speaking this card doesn't see High Tier Competitive play. I was trying to give it credit however for being the Grand Annoyance that it is.
K now I'm gonna go make a stall deck with all the cards you named and win an SJC with it. thanx. but seriously I played the structure deck as is vs my gadget deck and because of this card the structure deck 2-0'ed my gadget deck. lol. this card rules, might throw one in my final countdown deck.
Lv1 Hero of Team Vigilante of the Weapons Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Andy View Post
no risk no fun!
and if a car attempts to hit you, hit him before he does it!
masterofthechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #19
sardO

Ya, it definitely is a very annoying card and can single-handedly control a game, but what is it good for? That's all I can think about right now regarding this card. I'll correct myself in saying that Scrap-Iron is "infinite attack negation", but what can negating one attack per turn do? It can save your monsters and your life points, but eventually you'll have to have a more direct way of dealing with the threat, or eventually your opponent will be able to get rid of Scrap-Iron. So Scrap-Iron Scarecrow can be a nice control card that sort of stalls until you draw into outs... not really a good enough purpose in my opinion. As far as specific match-ups go:

Tele-Dad - Can slow down early game and bother Synchros, but sooner rather than later they will be able to get rid of Scrap-Iron and explode for game. Not very useful.

Lightsworn - Can slow them down, but Lightsworn's ability to swarm will limit Scrap-Iron's effectiveness, not to mention they have many outs to it like Lyla, Cold Wave, and JD aside from basic spell/trap removal. Not useful.

Zombies - Swarm ability limits effectiveness. Not useful.

Gladiator Beasts - Can be nice if they happen to not draw their numerous outs to the card (Bestiari, Cold Wave, Gyzarus), but odds are it will get blown up and not being chainable causes its effectiveness to be minimal. Not very useful.

Plants - Not particularily good against Plants at all.

Anti-Meta/Rogue Decks - In a slower paced strategy, a Scrap-Iron Scarecrow can slow your opponent's offence to a halt and allow you to swing over their normally weaker monsters (Gadgets, Wildheart, Banisher, etc.) and generate nice control over the game. Can be quite useful.

Scrap-Iron's utility will really depend on the deck it is being run in and what it is up against. It really has no place in any top decks, as better cards that are more synergistic with the strategy will be played over a random attack-negating card that isn't necessary. In Anti-Meta/Rogue builds with Oppression, Scrap-Iron can have a place. Allowing only normal summons and being able to negate attacks each turn can allow the game to end quickly and decisively, but if not combo'ed with Oppression or something like Thunder King it isn't very useful on it's own. Siding Scrap-Iron against Anti-Meta can be nice tech, but stuff like Royal Decree or Dust Tornado is more effective.

In conclusion, on paper, Scrap-Iron appears to be a nice card, but in reality I think it's just an annoyance at best because it doesn't deal with the threat directly, it just slows the threat down. Eventually, it will just get destroyed or negate one attack but do nothing about the other attackers on the field. Scrap-Iron Scarecrow deserves some time being tested, but I don't think it has a place in any competitive deck this format.

Dr. Vellian Crowler: "You try to expel one kid, and the entire world turns against you."

Jaden Yuki: "Okay, so if I win, Jasmine's free!"
Jasmine: "And if you lose?"
Jaden Yuki: "What if I lose?"
[pause]
Jaden Yuki: "Whoah, didn't really think of that..."

Last edited by sardO : 12-28-2008 at 09:30 PM.
sardO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #20
Emyrus

Not chainable? Where does that ruling come into play (I prefer to play correctly) and there is not a rule on it stating per battle phase or turn or anythin. "Activate only when an opponent's monster declares an attack". So every time the opponent declares an attack the atk is blocked. Less there is a ruling in the book or card that states otherwise. (and as of yet, I see neither)
Emyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #21
Fever
Dark World Master

No, you can't activate this more than once per turn. This card setting itself sets like you set it in the first place. So, no it is not chainable.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #22
Emyrus

I don't know heh, that sounds all to speculation. It just says place it face down, different then setting it in my opinion. Not trying to argue, but it should be made more clear on the ruling.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #23
Fever
Dark World Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emyrus View Post
I don't know heh, that sounds all to speculation. It just says place it face down, different then setting it in my opinion. Not trying to argue, but it should be made more clear on the ruling.

I agree it should but those are the rules. Otherwise it would be broken as ****.

Imagine someone with 3 of these in their deck and it can negate any one of your attacks.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #24
Emyrus

Yes but those rules have yet to be seen. As I said, atm it seems speculation. It the card stated once per turn I would agree. It doesn't, it says when a opponent declares an attack. Also, if thye make it limited that would hurt anyone trying to put 3 in their decks heh. If there is an official statment on the ruling of this card I wanna see it to clear my mind on the matter.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #25
Buster-Blader
Optimistic Vet

"Scrap-Iron Scarecrow" cannot be activated again during the same turn, because it has been Set and Trap Cards cannot be activated during the turn they are Set.

it may not say it clearly on the card but its in the rulings page already to avoid loopholes i gotta agree to some point that cards should be written more clearly.
Buster-Blader is offline   Reply With Quote