Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Pokémon > Pokemon TCG Gossip
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
Justmcnew
Pojo Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Age: 30
Posts: 6,041
iTrader: 0
Default Banned/Restricted List for Pokemon TCG?

I don't mean to sound like a noob but does anyone know If there's a Banned/Restricted List for Pokemon cause I remember hearing that Bill from the Base Set got restricted to one per deck.

I just recently started playing Pokemon as I'm new to the game so I'd appreciate it If someone would help me on this...
Justmcnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
PokePop
Moderator
 
PokePop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 3,912
iTrader: 3 (100%)
Default

Pokemon doesn't restrict cards.
While in most TCGs Bill would be a great card, it's sub-par in Pokemon.

Pokemon does have different formats, like MtG does.
Premeire events are run using the Modified Format.
Starting next month, that will be Diamond & Pearl and later cards.

Local tournaments may be run in Modified or Unlimited. Unlimited format allows all English released cards.
__________________
Official Pokemon TCG Rulings
Pokemon TCG Rules Team Member

The PokeGym
PokePop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
Babaca
Pojo Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4
iTrader: 0
Default

Actually, I have to disagree with the last poster on both accounts. Bill was a good card that was used fairly often back in the day. 2 cards for free is never a bad thing.
Also, there have been cards banned before. Sneasel out of the Neo Genesis set was banned due to its ability to abuse darkness energy and deal massive amounts of damage fast, if the benches were full. Also, Ancient Mew, a card that was handed out in movie theatres when the first pokemon movie came out, was banned due to the fact it had a different backing. There may have been more cards banned, but after Neo Destiny I stopped collecting, and have only recently come back to the game.
Babaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Justmcnew
Pojo Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Age: 30
Posts: 6,041
iTrader: 0
Default

That's good to know, I appreciate the help. Oh and I already found all the info on the banned cards from Pokemon on Wikipedia so I'm set.
Justmcnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
BrandonMurrayBMM
Team Aladeen
 
BrandonMurrayBMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Age: 20
Posts: 6,049
iTrader: 77 (100%)
Default

here it is

http://www.pojo.com/pokemon/featured/2006/8-8-05.shtml
__________________
Member of Team Aladeen
---------------------------
Subscribe to our Youtube
Like us on Facebook

4/6/13 480 Person Columbus, OH Regional Top 8 (8-1)
4/27/13 Butler, PA Regional Win (8-0)
BrandonMurrayBMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
Justmcnew
Pojo Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Age: 30
Posts: 6,041
iTrader: 0
Default

Some of the cards from that link weren't official from Wizards and/or Nintendo except for the Slowking from Neo Genesis which was officially banned, Sneasel from that same set If I recall is banned as well according to Wikipedia.
Justmcnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:50 AM   #7
Alazor
Pojo Wannabe
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Somewhere
Age: 26
Posts: 2,083
iTrader: 0
Default

Just to keep this straight.... Slowking and Sneasel from Neo Genesis were banned from Modified back in the day. In Unlimited you can play every English printed card, but you can't play Ancient Mew. Birthday Pikachu was also banned, but after Nintendo it was legal.

Now for Modified you play with the newer sets that get rotated once a year.
Right now the format is Holon Phantoms - On.

After September 1st it's going to be Diamond and Pearl -On.

These sets will be legal for modified:

Diamond and Pearl
Mysterious Treasures
Secret Wonders
Great Encounters
Majestic Dawn

and newer sets that are yet to be released...
__________________
"So often we care about those we love, that we forget about those who love us."
"Freedom is your greatest weakness."
Remember 9/11.
Alazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:03 AM   #8
PokePop
Moderator
 
PokePop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 3,912
iTrader: 3 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaca View Post
Actually, I have to disagree with the last poster on both accounts. Bill was a good card that was used fairly often back in the day. 2 cards for free is never a bad thing.
Also, there have been cards banned before. Sneasel out of the Neo Genesis set was banned due to its ability to abuse darkness energy and deal massive amounts of damage fast, if the benches were full. Also, Ancient Mew, a card that was handed out in movie theatres when the first pokemon movie came out, was banned due to the fact it had a different backing. There may have been more cards banned, but after Neo Destiny I stopped collecting, and have only recently come back to the game.
Don't want to restart the Bill wars.

You are correct about Sneasel (and Slowking and Happy Birthday Pikachu) being banned at one time, however, that is ancient news. They are not banned now and have not been banned for about 5 years or so.
Ancient Mew was not banned for it's back. It was banned for it's lack of english language. Note that I posted that a requirement for a card to be legal was that it was released in English. I covered ancient Mew with that statement.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMurrayBMM View Post
Here "what" is?

That list is someone's idea. It is not official in any aspect.

The OP wants to know what is banned, not what someone thinks should be banned.
__________________
Official Pokemon TCG Rulings
Pokemon TCG Rules Team Member

The PokeGym

Last edited by PokePop : 08-07-2008 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
PokePop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:57 PM   #9
Justmcnew
Pojo Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Age: 30
Posts: 6,041
iTrader: 0
Default

From what one of my friends told me whose a Pokemon TCG Veteran,
all Pokemon TCG cards that were made exclusively from Wizards of the Coast and Nintendo before Nintendo itself took the game over are not officially legal for the Unlimited format.

Sad but true, that means that all the cards from the Base Set up to I believe Neo Genesis or Neo Destiny are banned cause it's a different company that makes the card game not Nintendo which currently produces the Pokemon TCG currently.

Wizards of the Coast and Nintendo used to both own the rights for the Pokemon TCG, now it's just Nintendo.

Last edited by Justmcnew : 08-16-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Justmcnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
Alazor
Pojo Wannabe
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Somewhere
Age: 26
Posts: 2,083
iTrader: 0
Default

I don't think that's true, because that wouldn't be Unlimited.
That would be Ruby and Sapphire - On.
__________________
"So often we care about those we love, that we forget about those who love us."
"Freedom is your greatest weakness."
Remember 9/11.
Alazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
SKylancer`
Registered User
 
SKylancer`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 46
iTrader: 2 (100%)
Default re

hmm... if this series( the beginning onwards) are banned then, no need to say. Can give up on this game.. as no point to play. nothing special about it..

Don you guys thinks so?

The companies just want to draw lines but dont know how the players feel.

Sad to hear those kind of ???
SKylancer` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
poketo
江哲
 
poketo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cyclone State
Age: 20
Posts: 3,837
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokePop View Post
Don't want to restart the Bill wars.

You are correct about Sneasel (and Slowking and Happy Birthday Pikachu) being banned at one time, however, that is ancient news. They are not banned now and have not been banned for about 5 years or so.
Ancient Mew was not banned for it's back. It was banned for it's lack of english language. Note that I posted that a requirement for a card to be legal was that it was released in English. I covered ancient Mew with that statement.
Yes about Slowking and HB Pikachu but they have different reasons then sneasel

Slowking was banned in its time because they didn't errata a typo made in the translation that Wizards just decided to ignore and ban it instead of fixing.

Happy Birthday's reason was it was only played on that players birthday making it abused on 1 day a year and the rest it just collected dust.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage Master View Post
One third of the set spoiled and it's garbage. Never change Pojo.
poketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #13
Justmcnew
Pojo Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Age: 30
Posts: 6,041
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alazor View Post
I don't think that's true, because that wouldn't be Unlimited.
That would be Ruby and Sapphire - On.
So you're saying that Ruby and Sapphire was the last Pokemon TCG expansion before Wizards of the Coast split from Nintendo in this game? you may be right.

Still cards such as Gust of Wind, Energy Removal, Professor Oak (Base Set) are not permitted for Unlimited play cause they're from Wizards and the producers of the Pokemon TCG being Nintendo no longer work with Wizards anymore.
Justmcnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
Alazor
Pojo Wannabe
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Somewhere
Age: 26
Posts: 2,083
iTrader: 0
Default

"So you're saying that Ruby and Sapphire was the last Pokemon TCG expansion before Wizards of the Coast split from Nintendo in this game? you may be right.

Still cards such as Gust of Wind, Energy Removal, Professor Oak (Base Set) are not permitted for Unlimited play cause they're from Wizards and the producers of the Pokemon TCG being Nintendo no longer work with Wizards anymore."

Only Modified Tournaments are sanctioned by Nintendo.

Any other tournaments aren't usually sanctioned-- so Unlimited really means any Pokemon card printed in English.
__________________
"So often we care about those we love, that we forget about those who love us."
"Freedom is your greatest weakness."
Remember 9/11.
Alazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #15
helghast101
I'm gonna grape ya
 
helghast101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mitten State
Age: 24
Posts: 2,858
iTrader: 42 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmcnew View Post
From what one of my friends told me whose a Pokemon TCG Veteran,
all Pokemon TCG cards that were made exclusively from Wizards of the Coast and Nintendo before Nintendo itself took the game over are not officially legal for the Unlimited format.

Sad but true, that means that all the cards from the Base Set up to I believe Neo Genesis or Neo Destiny are banned cause it's a different company that makes the card game not Nintendo which currently produces the Pokemon TCG currently.

Wizards of the Coast and Nintendo used to both own the rights for the Pokemon TCG, now it's just Nintendo.
I hate to say it but your friend is liieing to you or is ignorant to what the unlimited format is.

UNLIMITED= Any card printed in english. (i asked a professor on the pokemon tcg website so i am pretty sure this is right. )
__________________
helghast101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #16
poketo
江哲
 
poketo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cyclone State
Age: 20
Posts: 3,837
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmcnew View Post
So you're saying that Ruby and Sapphire was the last Pokemon TCG expansion before Wizards of the Coast split from Nintendo in this game? you may be right.

Still cards such as Gust of Wind, Energy Removal, Professor Oak (Base Set) are not permitted for Unlimited play cause they're from Wizards and the producers of the Pokemon TCG being Nintendo no longer work with Wizards anymore.
Wizards didn't split they lost their licence
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage Master View Post
One third of the set spoiled and it's garbage. Never change Pojo.
poketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #17
benedict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 151
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokePop View Post
Pokemon doesn't restrict cards.
While in most TCGs Bill would be a great card, it's sub-par in Pokemon.

Pokemon does have different formats, like MtG does.
Premeire events are run using the Modified Format.
Starting next month, that will be Diamond & Pearl and later cards.

Local tournaments may be run in Modified or Unlimited. Unlimited format allows all English released cards.

Question...

What if i have like 5 bills in my hand can i use them all ?
benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #18
SKylancer`
Registered User
 
SKylancer`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 46
iTrader: 2 (100%)
Default

For the past, i remember only can use up to 4 same name cards...

Unless it is stated in the tournament, or in the banned or restricted list.

got it?
SKylancer` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #19
PokePop
Moderator
 
PokePop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 3,912
iTrader: 3 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmcnew View Post
From what one of my friends told me whose a Pokemon TCG Veteran,
all Pokemon TCG cards that were made exclusively from Wizards of the Coast and Nintendo before Nintendo itself took the game over are not officially legal for the Unlimited format.

Sad but true, that means that all the cards from the Base Set up to I believe Neo Genesis or Neo Destiny are banned cause it's a different company that makes the card game not Nintendo which currently produces the Pokemon TCG currently.

Wizards of the Coast and Nintendo used to both own the rights for the Pokemon TCG, now it's just Nintendo.
This is not true at all.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alazor View Post
"So you're saying that Ruby and Sapphire was the last Pokemon TCG expansion before Wizards of the Coast split from Nintendo in this game? you may be right.

Still cards such as Gust of Wind, Energy Removal, Professor Oak (Base Set) are not permitted for Unlimited play cause they're from Wizards and the producers of the Pokemon TCG being Nintendo no longer work with Wizards anymore."

Only Modified Tournaments are sanctioned by Nintendo.

Any other tournaments aren't usually sanctioned-- so Unlimited really means any Pokemon card printed in English.
This is not true either.
Pokemon will sanction Unlimited tournaments. They just don't run them for Premeire events.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedict View Post
Question...

What if i have like 5 bills in my hand can i use them all ?
Only if you are playing in a Draft. That's the only way you could have 5 copies of a card in a deck.

But if you had 4 copies of Bill in your hand, you could use all of them in the same turn.
__________________
Official Pokemon TCG Rulings
Pokemon TCG Rules Team Member

The PokeGym

Last edited by PokePop : 08-18-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
PokePop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

 
Advertisement

Pikachu Anatomy


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.