Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh Card of the Day
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
Pojo
Administrator

Pojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to behold
Default August 29 - Aquarian Alessa - TAEV-EN020

Card Name: Aquarian Alessa
Car Number: TAEV-EN020

Aquarian Alessa
Level 4
Water
[Aqua/Gemini]
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with this effect:
- When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, they discard 1 random card.
1500/500

Card Ratings
Traditional: 1.00
Advanced: 2.33

Ratings are based on a 1 to 5 scale 1 being the worst.
3 = average. 5 is the highest rating.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Tebezu

Tebezu is on a distinguished road

It is good, but Don Zaloog is better.

Nice to see some water support, but these kinds of cards (in the current format) are not good. The issue with attack to discard is that our opponent(who more than I care to think about) is going to be running triple Brain Control and Snatch Steal. Thus next turn we get put into a potential situation where we will lose two (+) cards. Either we kill our discard monster, take the hit and discard, or it gets tributed off after making the attack to put us down another card (Via Monarch).

This card particularly requires two turns of investment to work. Mother Grizzly has another fun target too. The fact this card is a water monster is the only reason I am giving it a...

3.6/5

The water theme as a whole has many ways to utilize dead cards (Abyss Soldier, Frenir, Legendary Water Art AOI, etc.). It also has access to salvage and ALO.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
CreatorOfThePointSystem
Mewtwo collector

CreatorOfThePointSystem is on a distinguished road

This one will be short and sweet.

The discard effect isn't worth the extra summon. I'd rather have Don be able to hit directly OR press for damage through a weaker monster for a discard. I'd rather have Spirit Reaper that can defend as well as discard. There's no reason to invest so heavily in this just for discards that HAVE to destroy a monster in order to do so.

Sorry, but 1.5/5 despite the ATK power being searchable.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
Otaku
Pojo Veteran

Otaku will become famous soon enough

My review is for the format under the September 1st, 2007 Ban List.This review assumes the September 1st 2007 Ban List. I mean, I have enough catching up to do without focusing on a format that has less than a week left of existing.

Aquarian Allessa is a Level 4 Water/Aqua/Gemini with 1500 ATK and 500 DEF. If you trigger it's Gemini effect, it forces your opponent to randomly discard a card from their hand, but only when it destroys a Monster in battle.

Being a mere 1500 ATK doesn't make it easy to run over everything, and in fact only supporting Monsters really need fear it unless A Legendary Ocean is boosting it. Still, its small enough to pull of the many common Water Monster tricks (searched by Mother Grizzly, slip under Gravity Bind with A Legendary Ocean, retrieve with Salvage and of course most Water decks have good ways to use up Monsters that become dead weight (discard with Abyss Soldier, for example).

Ratings

Traditional: 1/5
Advanced: 2/5

Simply put, maybe run one copy in an A Legendary Ocean deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Toast
You need to realize that there are NO women on the internet. It's a place where men are men, girls are men, and children are the F.B.I.

Last edited by Otaku : 08-26-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
~Dark Paladin~
Featured Writer / COTD analyst

~Dark Paladin~ is on a distinguished road

If it's been said once, it's been said a thousand times before, and furthermore, it will be said again. Why use a card that does something you want when something else does it better...in this case, Don Zaloog. This card isn't bad, and could be a useful asset to the Water deck, but it doesn't get the effect until the second summon.

Ratings:

2/5 for being outclassed

Art: 3.5/5
Old 08-29-2007, 01:54 AM   #6
THe ONe PG 16
Free Agent!

THe ONe PG 16 is on a distinguished road

Aquarian Alessa
Level 4
Water
[Aqua/Gemini]
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with this effect:
- When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, they discard 1 random card.
1500/500

Well water gets support here, and like all other Gemini Monsters, it is helped with Double Summon. This card i rank a lot Higher than Goe Goe the Gallant Ninja but a lot Lower than Don Zaloog. Unless you can boost the 1500 ATK that Aquarian has, then it's really hard to always be able to kill a monster. This isn't as easy to get out as say Don Zaloog as they not only have Reinforcement of the Army, but Mystic Tomato and Sangan too. Yes Aquarian gets Grizzly and Sangan, but doesn't have it easily searched for. 1500 isn't too shabby and with A Legendary Ocean it's 1700, but it won't always get through the attack and it;s all dependent on how much that opposing monster has for ATK and DEF. This card can be used well with Shrinks, Rush Recklessly and even Enemy Controller, so keep an eye out for this.

Traditional: 1/5 I don't Like Gemini here
Advanced: 3.5/5 When you get this off, it's really good, just have support cards around it and it can work great.

- Tomas Mijares

Top 8 SJC San Jose 2006 - Chain Burn (Gate Guardian Sided)

Qualified 06-11

Subscribe to me on YouTube peoples! =]
http://www.youtube.com/THeONePG16
Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Mr. Random
Has 782 Rescue Cat

Mr. Random is on a distinguished road
Default Aquarian Alessa

Now we review the 1500 ATK Water Gemini monster Aquarian Alessa. It has 4 stars, so you do not have to waste a monster by tributing it to get it on the field. Although to get Aquarian Alessa's effect you have to use your Normal Summon on the next turn.

The effect is when you destroy a monster by battle and sent to the graveyard the opponent discards 1 random card. With many high ATK and DEF monsters in the game right now it will be hard to make sure her effect will go off. Also most players play Spirit Reaper and soon in October Marshmallon where it they can not be destroyed by battle. Aquarian Alessa would not get her effect and stay there as a 1500 attacker. It is not Don Zaloog where it just has to be damage and there goes a card from the hand or top 2 off the deck. Also Mystic Tomato has better searches than Mother Grizzly.

1500 ATK can tie Snipe and a few other Gemini Monsters and it can beat the elemental searchers. The DEF is not that great, but this not really a defending type of card.

Traditional: 1/5
Advanced: 1.5/5
Art: 2.5/5