Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh Card of the Day
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
Pojo
Administrator

Pojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to behold
Default YGO COTD - August 24 - Grasschopper TAEV-EN022

Card Name: Grasschopper
Car Number: TAEV-EN022

Grasschopper
Level 5
Earth
[Insect/Gemini]
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with this effect:
- This card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each.
2350/1000

Card Ratings
Traditional: 1.33
Advanced: 1.75

Ratings are based on a 1 to 5 scale 1 being the worst.
3 = average. 5 is the highest rating.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
GeneralZorpa

Location: On the Battlefield... Team: Team Bizarro......... Deck: Gravekeepers
GeneralZorpa is on a distinguished road

This is one of my favorite of the Gemini monsters. He is basically Asura Priest with more ATK and the Gemini effect. His 2350 ATK is so heartbreakingly clos to beating a monarch it almost made me cry. If Monarchs ever see a fall in play, this guy might just do it for Gemini monsters, but for now, more 1's all around.

Traditional-1
Advanced-1
Art-1

Featured Writer and Card of the Day Reviewer

5th Place South San Francisco Regionals 2007
Scrubbed 3 SJC's and Counting!
Qualified for Nationals 07
Creator of Outlandish Decks That Sometimes Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by why i luvz pojo
x-saber has too many searcher and recruiter to make it consistent.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
~Dark Paladin~
Featured Writer / COTD analyst

~Dark Paladin~ is on a distinguished road

Don't get me wrong...here we have a decent monster, with a decent enough effect mirroring that of Asura Priest, in being able to attack all your opponent's monsters, as long as you pull of the second summoning. However...the only real downside to this card is that it only has 2350 attack points. Jinzo, Monarchs, Sacred Phoenix, and all of our other 2400 attack favorites knock this guy out of the park. Too bad, it has such a nice picture.

Ratings:

2/5 all around, not bad, just outclassed

Art: 4/5
Old 08-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
Tebezu

Tebezu is on a distinguished road

2/5

This card is in no way a failure, but the fact it is a tribute monster hurts. 2400 attack is the minimal attack players have seemed to settle for (except in the case of Airknight) tribute monsters.

The thing with this card is that it is a gemini. Only two of the Gemini monsters are broken/close to it, (Cythonian Emperor Dragon and Il Blud). The reason for this is due to their decent attack score, quick reachability, type, and effects that make up for the loss (if it is not worked around) of a summon. This bug can make up for the loss of a summon, if it kills 2 monsters. The odds of cards with Asura Priest effects making an impact seems to be dropping as of late. Marshmellon, Spirit Reaper, Battle Searcher, etc. all put a dent into attacking plans. The fact The bug is not protected from s/t means it more than likely will not even get to attack. If by some chance you second summon it, expect snatch steal/brain control to drop and punish you for using it.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
Otaku
Pojo Veteran

Otaku will become famous soon enough

Well, given I don't have a lot of time, I must be brief (well, for me).

As a single Tribute requiring Monster, Grasschopper falls somewhat sadly shy of the 2400 that is the "standard". If you "double summon" it, it acts as a bigger Asura Priest (without bouncing to your hand). What makes Asura Priest handy is that it is just a Level 4 and thus can be dropped into play on a whim. Instead, this has to be "re-summoned". I've been out of it for a bit due to a hard drive crash and am still getting re-aquainted with the metagame and the new rules for the Gemini Monsters. I don't know if you just give up a Normal Summon or have to offer another Tribute, but either way isn't really happy.

My suggestion would be to include one if you're running a dedicated Gemini Monster deck, but that'd be it. Maybe with Big Bang Shot (in case of Scapegoat, Reaper, etc.) but I am still unfamiliar with many of these cards, and if I am stupidly missing a good Gemini with Piercing already... never mind.

Traditional: 1/5
Advanced: 2/5

If the Advanced score seems a little high, remember that I feel several of the cards that make it so risky (most so called "one for one" removal) shouldn't be in the game. It'd be a bit better without having to worry about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Toast
You need to realize that there are NO women on the internet. It's a place where men are men, girls are men, and children are the F.B.I.

Last edited by Otaku : 08-21-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
turkeyspit
Feral Mod

turkeyspit is on a distinguished road

A Yu-Gi-Oh! card that can mow my lawn? I'll take 3 please!

So today we are looking at one of the new Gemini monsters. For the sake of imparciality, I will spare you my views on the whole "Gemini" mechanic, and just evaluate this card based on it's own merits.

While I do like it's "Asura Priest" type effect, the simple fact remains that it's ATK value is what kills it. 2350 ATK means two things for this card, and they are both bad:

1 - it cannot stand up to Monarchs and Jinzo, and you can bet those cards will remain popular, even after Sept 1, 2007.
2 - Being higher then 1500 ATK, it cannot be searched out via Giant Rat or Howling Insect, thereby forcing you to either use Double Summon, Special Summoning it (Call/Premature/Reasoning/Monster Gate/Pinch Hopper), or hoping it can survive until you can "Normal Summon" it a 2nd time during your next turn to get it's effect.

When you get it's effect off, it will prove to be a valuable tool in clearing your opponent's field. But being so slow, and lacking the 50 ATK points necessary to stand up to the most commonly seen ATK value of a tribute monster means that Grasschopper will lack consistency, and nobody wants that from a card.

----------------------------------------

Traditional:
1/5 - EARTH!

Advanced:
2/5 - Maybe in an insect deck with Pinch Hopper and Doom Dozer, but outside of that, this card holds little promise.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Rules Knowledge: Level 2
Player Management: Level 2
World of Warcraft Rules Knowledge: Level 1

Turkey's Tokens

Quote:
"Those who cannot Judge, play!"
Old 08-23-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
Mr. Random
Has 782 Rescue Cat

Mr. Random is on a distinguished road
Default Grasschopper

Since this is a Gemini monster you have to tribute a monster and use up a normal summon to make him an Insect Asura Priest. The effect is good, but with having 2350 you can't get over the usual Monarch or Jinzo, although this can get over Goldd and Blowback Dragon we just don't see them that much. Insects have little support right now so you can put a Prickle Fairy in or something to make sure this stays on the field a little longer. If this monster had 2450 ATK then it would be slightly more played of coarse. I can see it in a fun Insect Deck using Doom Dozers, but not in tournement play thought.

Traditional: 1/5
Advanced: 1.5/5
Art: 2/5
Old 08-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #8
THe ONe PG 16
Free Agent!

THe ONe PG 16 is on a distinguished road

Grasschopper
Level 5
Earth
[Insect/Gemini]
This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it be treated as an Effect Monster with this effect:
- This card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each.
2350/1000

Many players looked forward to this card, but the ATK of this card makes it really not as Viable as once thought. With 2350 It can get over pretty much everything that isn't a Monarch. We have seen, that it's all about Monarchs in every format. They either see a splash somewhere or they are a dedicated deck and Grasschopper just can't stand up to said monsters. You can combo it with Shrink or Rush Recklessly then it can be good, and look at the bright side, unlike Asura Priest it stays on the field, but it is one tribute. There are really other Gemini Monsters that are better out there.

Traditional: 1/5 Earth and not fast enough with a decent effect, i'll play Asura for Asura being Light.
Advanced: 1.5/5 You can add equips and even Rush Recklessly to make this better, other than that it's really bad in its own right.

- Tomas Mijares

Top 8 SJC San Jose 2006 - Chain Burn (Gate Guardian Sided)

Qualified 06-11

Subscribe to me on YouTube peoples! =]
http://www.youtube.com/THeONePG16