Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh Card of the Day
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
Pojo
Administrator

Pojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to behold
Default July 31 - Slate Warrior - TP8-EN003

Slate Warrior
Card #: TP8-EN003

Type: Fiend
Attribute: Wind
Level: 4
ATK: 1900
DEF: 400
Text: FLIP: Increase the ATK and DEF of this card by 500 points. The ATK and DEF of a monster that destroys this card as a result of battle is decreased by 500 points.
Rarity: Super Rare

Card Ratings
Traditional: 1.80
Advanced: 2.80

Ratings are based on a 1 to 5 scale 1 being the worst.
3 = average. 5 is the highest rating.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Lonely Wolf
Magic Dragon Mod

Lonely Wolf is on a distinguished road

If I'm not mistaken this is the most powerful flip effect monster we have. 1900 attack isn't too shabby, and if you flip summon this it can take down a Monarch or Jinzo along with it. Excellent. Unlike most flip monsters that really need to be set first, with this card you could Normal Summon it if you wanted.

Just to clarify, the first sentence of its effect that allows it to gain the 500/500 is the flip effect. The second sentence where it decreases the opponent's attack and defense is NOT part of the flip effect. If you normal summoned Slate instead of setting, and it got destroyed in battle, its second effect would still activate.

Being a flip effect monster makes him a target of Night Assailant as well as Nobleman of Crossout. There have actually been decks made that want him Nobleman'ed to set up for a Return from the Different Dimension! And, being a fiend, he is Necrofear food, which also sets up for Return!

Overall, I very well balanced monster.

Traditional: 2/5
Advanced: 3.5/5 (Fiend/Return decks)
Art: 3/5

Uber props to Tisi for the sig! Awesome man!!!
My SSBB Snapshots / My SSBB Youtube Page
Trade me Harpie Stuff
Old 07-28-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
GeneralZorpa

Location: On the Battlefield... Team: Team Bizarro......... Deck: Gravekeepers
GeneralZorpa is on a distinguished road

Meh, I have mixed feelings about this card. It can be a good first turn set, and then flip mto take out whatever they have. Only problem is that whatever they have likely wiped out your magnetic salamander. For this the 500 ATK reduction is nice. it is also the BEST 4-star monster in terms of ATK after you flip it. But that's the key, AFTER you flip.

Traditional-1/5 (no wind except for Yata)
ADvanced-3/5 (WInd decks love it, cuz they really need some muscle)

Additional Comment:

Meh, I have mixed feelings about this card. He CAN be the most powerful card in the 4-star range, but you need to flip him first. Book of Taiyou is useful here, but when was the last time Book of Taiyou was used in an aggressive deck? It does have that handy ATK decreasing effect, but I would rather have it destroy something, like DD Warrior LAdy.

Traditional-1/5 (no Wind except Yata)
Advanced-3/5 (Wind decks need the muscle)

Featured Writer and Card of the Day Reviewer

5th Place South San Francisco Regionals 2007
Scrubbed 3 SJC's and Counting!
Qualified for Nationals 07
Creator of Outlandish Decks That Sometimes Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by why i luvz pojo
x-saber has too many searcher and recruiter to make it consistent.

Last edited by GeneralZorpa : 07-28-2007 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #4
Mr. Random
Has 782 Rescue Cat

Mr. Random is on a distinguished road

Slate Warrior
Wind/Fiend/Effect
FLIP: Increase the ATK and DEF of this card by 500 points. The ATK and DEF of a monster that destroys this card as a result of battle is decreased by 500 points.
ATK/1900 DEF/400

I have always liked this card about it being a 1900 ATK monster that could go through many defense monsters and can be KO'ed with a Card Trooper. It has 4 stars so it can easily be set or Normal Summoned.

It is a Wind monster, but we really don't have much support for that Attribute yet so theres no help in this department.

Being a Fiend type monster it works well with other Fiends like Dark Ruler Ha Des and Dark Necrofear.

If you set this and it is Flip Summoned or flipped face up it gains 500 ATK and DEF. The defense is not really important since almost anything can get over it, but if it turns out to be a 2400 ATK monster, it can take down any Cyber Dragon and go toe to toe with any monarch or Jinzo.

When its destroyed by battle the monster that did this loses 500 ATK and DEF. Heres a list of what destroys it and the ATK value goes down to:

Any Monarch - 1900 ATK
Jinzo - 1900 ATK
Cyber Dragon - 1600 ATK
1st Hydrogeddon - 1100 ATK
Gravekeeper's Spy - 700 ATK
D.D. Warrior Lady - 1000 ATK
D.D. Assailant - 1200 ATK
Any Attribute Searcher - 900 ATK

Slate Warrior's 2nd effect can come in handy if you have a strong monster to follow up on. If you have any Hydrogeedons or Don Zaloogs that will help get advantage through battle.

Traditional: 1.5/5 - Make a Black Luster Soldier's ATK 2500 on the 2nd attack or just play Raigeki to get it off easy.
Advanced: 2.5/5 - Players attack with Mystic Tomatos, so it won't stop them from attacking with a 1900 ATK Thestalos or 1600 ATK Cyber Dragon.
Art: 2/5 - He has the head of a person in the Blue Man Group.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
turkeyspit
Feral Mod

turkeyspit is on a distinguished road

One of the best cards around that nobody uses, Slate Warrior has long be relegated to the confines of a Trade Binder or a pure Fiend type deck.

Being capable of becoming a 2400 ATK non-tribute monster is nothing to sneeze at, and given it's second effect, your opponent will think twice before destroying this card in battle.

Given however, that the current format revolves around Card Trooper (1900 ATK floater) and Brain Control, Slate Warrior is completely out of his element in the current Metagame.

I've always wondered if he had been a DARK attribute, might we not have seen him during the Chaos Era? I guess we will never know.

--------------------------------------

Traditional:
1/5 - WIND? I think not.

Advanced:
2/5 - Completely outclassed in the current Metagame, but still a good monster overall.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Rules Knowledge: Level 2
Player Management: Level 2
World of Warcraft Rules Knowledge: Level 1

Turkey's Tokens

Quote:
"Those who cannot Judge, play!"
Old 07-31-2007, 01:10 AM   #6
THe ONe PG 16
Free Agent!

THe ONe PG 16 is on a distinguished road

Slate Warrior Level: 4
[Fiend/Effect]
FLIP: Increase the ATK and DEF of this card by 500 points. The ATK and DEF of a monster that destroys this card as a result of battle is decreased by 500 points.
1900/400

This card brings back so many memories. This card really hit the scene when Wilson Luc used it in his Tsukuyomi inspired deck in the old Chaos format (Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning format not Chaos Emporer Dragon format). Though there are many misconceptions of this card. The FLIP effect for this card is only for the first line. After the period, that is the second effect that works reguardless (unless it isn't destroyed as a result of battle). When flipped, Slate Warrior becomes a 2400/900 monsters. That alone can take down most monsters of the current format which is big. Cyber Dragon, Gravekeeper's Spy and Monarchs don't stand a chance when this card is flipped up (even though it will mutually die with a monarch when it's 2400). This card can really come in handy because of the stats decrease that it give out when it's destroyed as a result of battle, so that makes some of the bigger monsters fall and you can swing in for even more life point damage which seems to be the name of the game. This really goes well in this format, but it's not always easy to find space or utilize this card. This card is good overall, and it's been reprinted enough that many people can get their hands on this card.

Traditional: 3/5 Tsukuyomi is here, which makes this card even better, brings back Tsukuyomi control in traditional.
Advanced: 2.5/5 You have to protect this card well to get the flip, but the 2nd effect is good for the format as well

- Tomas Mijares

Top 8 SJC San Jose 2006 - Chain Burn (Gate Guardian Sided)

Qualified 06-11

Subscribe to me on YouTube peoples! =]
http://www.youtube.com/THeONePG16