Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh Card of the Day
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
Pojo
Administrator

Pojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to behold
Default YGO COTD - July 12 - Phantom Beast Rock-Lizard FOTB-ENSE1

Phantom Beast Rock-Lizard FOTB-ENSE1

Phantom Beast Rock-Lizard FOTB-ENSE1

Phantom Beast Rock-Lizard
Level 7
Dark
[Beast-Warrior/Effect]
If you're Tributing a ''Phantom Beast'' monster or ''Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts'', this card can be Normal Summoned with 1 Tribute. When this card destroys a monster by battle, inflict 500 damage to your opponent. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard by your opponent's card effect, inflict 2000 damage to your opponent.
2200/2000

Card Ratings
Traditional: 1.75
Advanced: 21.7

Ratings are based on a 1 to 5 scale 1 being the worst.
3 = average. 5 is the highest rating.

Date Reviewed - 7.12.07
Old 07-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
CreatorOfThePointSystem
Mewtwo collector

CreatorOfThePointSystem is on a distinguished road

Not broken, but not bad either.

You have to play a very poor deck to get him out for 1 tribute, but there are other, better ways to force big beaters that can be Special Summoned onto the field -- Reasoning and Monster Gate seem like two very good choices.

The 500 damage for destroying a monster isn't a huge bonus, but it's nice that it's there.

The big thing with this card is the 2,000 damage your opponent takes if the card is destroyed by effect. Sakuretsu, Smashing, Widespread, anything like that and they're taking a big chunk of LP...let alone if they even think about Ringing him.

The 2,200 forces your opponent to commit some kind of resource to beat it -- Cyber Dragon can't beat it. Monarchs are the only big card you'll see that can beat this thing normally, excluding a Machine comboed with Limiter Removal or something.

I don't see this seeing any major play currently, given the steal/sacrifice mentality that the format seems to have right now.

2.25/5
Old 07-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
~Dark Paladin~
Featured Writer / COTD analyst

~Dark Paladin~ is on a distinguished road

Look at me! I'm a Level 7 monster with 2200 attack points! I also have only 2000 defense points and need two tributes! Play me, PLEASE PLAY ME!

All right, Phantom Beast Rock-Lizard isn't quite that bad, but he could be. However, if you play this card, and tribute two monsters for it, you get what you deserve. If you tribute a Phantom Beast monster of Gazelle, the King of Mythical Beasts, you have a 2200 attack monster for only one tribute. That's a bit better.

Rock-Lizard does have the bonus of inflicting 500 damage to your opponent whenever he destroys a monster. 500 damage isn't a lot, but it's still a decent piece of damage. It can add up folks. Then, the big bonus this card has...

If destroyed by your opponent's effect, they take a whopping 2000 damage! Your opponent isn't very likely to do that late game, especially with 2000 or less Lifepoints. The 2200 attack is low, but the effect brings balance to it. 2400 or higher wouldn't be too fair, but as it stands, a Monarch can kill it without setting off the 2000 damage effect.

Ratings:

2.75/5 all around It won't be a huge threat, but that could change later on if Phantom Beasts get big.

Art: 4/5
Old 07-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
THe ONe PG 16
Free Agent!

THe ONe PG 16 is on a distinguished road

Phantom Beast Rock-Lizard
Level 7
Dark
[Beast-Warrior/Effect]
If you're Tributing a ''Phantom Beast'' monster or ''Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts'', this card can be Normal Summoned with 1 Tribute. When this card destroys a monster by battle, inflict 500 damage to your opponent. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard by your opponent's card effect, inflict 2000 damage to your opponent.
2200/2000

Here is a mass produced card, not as good as Shrink or Winged Rhynos, but still a solid card. So this card does extra damage, 500 for destroying a monster and 2000 when it gets destroyed by an opponent's effect. So usually they will take the 500 when it attacks a monster because they probably don't want to lose the 2000 Life Points for using Sakuretsu Armor, Widespread Ruin, etc. But it being 2200 ATK makes it be able to get over many mosnters in this game. The big Drawback is it being a Level 7 monster. No one is main decking Gazelle or some of the "Phantom Beast" monsters, so I don't think this card is a good card overall. Even if i was playing a deck with Reasoning, i would rather play Mechanical Hound.

Traditional: 1/5 Sure it's a Dark, but other than that, it's worthless
Advanced: 1.5/5 If you can get this card out, then you can use it well, other than that, no point to use this card.

- Tomas Mijares

Top 8 SJC San Jose 2006 - Chain Burn (Gate Guardian Sided)

Qualified 06-11

Subscribe to me on YouTube peoples! =]
http://www.youtube.com/THeONePG16