Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh Card of the Day
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Pojo
Administrator

Pojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to beholdPojo is a splendid one to behold
Default YGO COTD - July 9 - Green Baboon - Defender of the Forest - JUMP-EN014

Defender of the Forest - JUMP-EN014

Green Baboon, Defender of the Forest
Level 7
Earth
[Beast/Effect]
When a Beast-Type monster you control is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, you can play 1000 Life Points to Special Summon this card from your hand or the Graveyard.
2600/1800

Average Card Ratings
Traditional: 1.50
Advanced: 3.75

Ratings are based on a 1 to 5 scale 1 being the worst.
3 ... average. 5 is the highest rating.

Date Reviewed - 07.09.07
Old 07-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
THe ONe PG 16
Free Agent!

THe ONe PG 16 is on a distinguished road

Green Baboon, Defender of the Forest
Level 7
Earth
[Beast/Effect]
When a Beast-Type monster you control is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, you can play 1000 Life Points to Special Summon this card from your hand or the Graveyard.
2600/1800

I see a lot of potential, and it being in limited quantity, anyone who runs many Beast-Type monsters in a deck will be going for this card. So this is a huge monster, 2600 and it can be Special Summoned by paying 1000 Life Points. This is a really good card, but too many uses of this card will make you lose pretty fast. With what some judges told me so far about this card, is that you can't Special Summon it when Green Baboon is destroyed, so it has to be another Beast-Type. Also, a Bottomless Trap Hole can really be a ruinous card for you. This card gets over pretty much every monster that has been seeing much play except for Dark Magician of Chaos and the Cyber fusion monsters. This can be in some new format Beastdown decks and even into Crystal Beasts, just watch out for your Life Points as they keep dropping down by 1000 when you use the effect!

Traditional: 1.5/5 Beastdown can still work
Advanced: 4/5 1000 Life Points is a lot, but then again, it's a 2600 and can be put in Beastdown and growing more popular Crystal Beast decks.

- Tomas Mijares

Top 8 SJC San Jose 2006 - Chain Burn (Gate Guardian Sided)

Qualified 06-11

Subscribe to me on YouTube peoples! =]
http://www.youtube.com/THeONePG16
Old 07-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
CreatorOfThePointSystem
Mewtwo collector

CreatorOfThePointSystem is on a distinguished road

Okay...first and foremost, I'm bitter about us having this card at 1/deck instead of 3 for the year that Japan did. They nerf the deck before we can even get it, which is ass.

At 1, you can throw this in Beastdown or Crystal Beast and have a potential big beater for 1,000 Life Points, which is quite fair for a 2,600 monster. That's a nice boost, but it could have been done much better.

...at 3, you'd continually be able to cycle them, and if your opponent doesn't Bottomless, as long as you have the life points to pay, you'd have an unstoppable field presence.

Obviously there's SOME use for the card, as it's constantly going for $50-60 on eBay (since you can only get it through limited avenues for now). However, that could be based on rarity alone. Only time will tell if someone can make good use of one and only one Green Baboon.

For the purpose of rating averages, this gets a 3.5/5. However, the real rating I'm giving it: $50/5.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
turkeyspit
Feral Mod

turkeyspit is on a distinguished road

If this card were allowed at 3 copies per deck, this review would be totally different. When it was unrestricted in Japan, Green Baboon was it's own deck, with numerous variants: Trample/Beastdown, Skill Drain, etc..

Now that the TCG finally gets it (albeit only to new subscribers of SJ Magazine) it's Limited to 1 per deck. This may or may not upset you, depending on whether or not you enjoy overpowered cards. At 3 copies, Baboon is far too powerful a force to contend with, so I agree with Konami on this one. Even Limited to 1, you can still build a Beast or Skill Drain deck around Baboon, and expect to have a decently competitive build.

The only thing that really holds this decktype back though, is the abscence of "good" Beast type monsters.

I'm eagerly waiting for my copy to begin playing my Behemoth Baboon Deck ^_^

Traditional: 1/5
- Sometimes it seems like rating cards for the Traditional Format is a waste of time.

Advanced: 4/5
- It needs a deck built around it, but even at 1 per deck, I have a suspicion that Green Baboon will make an impact on the Metagame.

Card Art: 3/6
- HULK SMASH!!

Yu-Gi-Oh! Rules Knowledge: Level 2
Player Management: Level 2
World of Warcraft Rules Knowledge: Level 1

Turkey's Tokens

Quote:
"Those who cannot Judge, play!"

Last edited by turkeyspit : 07-10-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
~Dark Paladin~
Featured Writer / COTD analyst

~Dark Paladin~ is on a distinguished road

Green Baboon--Defender of the Forest
Level 7
Beast-Effect
2600 atk 1800 def

Effect: When a Beast-Type Monster you control is destroyed, you can pay 1000 Life Points to Special this card from your hand or the Graveyard.

I'm not really a fan of Beast monsters, but this card does have some promise and potential. Green Baboon is a Level 7 monster, which would normally require two tributes...however; you aren't supposed to tribute anything for this Beast anyway.

The Special Summon can only be performed by paying 1000 of your Lifepoints when a Beast type monster of yours is destroyed. It's good that you can summon this card from your Hand or the Graveyard. That helps to add a little versatility to this card.

Paying 1000 Lifepoints to summon something with 2600 attack points definately seems worthwhile to me. Obviously, good for use in a Beast Deck, and even has some potential in a Crystal Beast Deck. If you can get one, go ahead and try it out.

Ratings:

Traditional: 1.5/5 Beasts, here?

Advanced: 3.75/5 all around...not completely versatile, but still a decent enough card.

Art: 4/5

You stay classy, Planet Earth