Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Pokémon > Pokemon TCG Gossip
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
HolonPhantom

Default How Do Pre-Release Tournaments Work?

I don't understand all of it. Do they provide energies? I know you make a 40 card deck out of six booster packs, but how do you get energy? Bring your own?

Also, do I have to become a member of the league or whatever before I participate? How do I do that? Thank you.
HolonPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
PokePop

Yes, they provide Basic energy cards. They will probably want them back at the end of the tournament.

You have to have a POP ID.
If you don't already have one, they will have POP ID forms there for you to get one, so no problem.

The PokeGym
PokePop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
HolonPhantom

Default Thanks

Thank you very much. I'm really excited to go to this, and I'm glad that I can.
HolonPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Dustlord

I've been to one before, but I don't live anywear near a place that has even a regular league. The closest prerelease is more than an hour's drive away.

I remember that it was an almost all-day event, so be prepared. I also remember everyone was really nice and helpful.
Dustlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
PokePop

Pre releases are shorter than regular tourneys since there are no top rounds for finalists.

The PokeGym
Old 01-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Murkrow
Learning the Ropes

Hi there,

I don't play the Pokemon TCG but my 9-year old brother wants to participate in the upcoming "Power Keepers" prerelease tournament. I was going to post a new topic, but this one was already here so I hope you all won't mind me hijacking the topic. I would really appreciate it if someone could answer these questions of mine (some of them are lengthy; I apologize for that):

(1) Judging by the answer to PokePop's question about "POP" IDs, I'm guessing you don't have to register in advance?

(2) The official website says, "In addition, all players who complete the event will receive 2 additional booster packs of EX Power Keepers."

Does this mean that for the entrance fee, you ultimately get 8 booster packs to take home?

(3) Can I give my brother transparent plastic sleeves to put his new cards in so they shuffle smoothly and are not ruined?

(4) My brother has only played the game with me, and while we've tried to follow the rules, I'm sure that there are rulings that we've never encountered, and even some of the more basic rules he might not understand 100% (i.e. the procedure for "retreating" or attacking with a confused Pokemon). I am confident that my brother will not cheat, but should he honestly make a move that is deemed illegal, will the judges nicely correct him? I don't want him to be in tears for getting kicked out of the tournament for something he didn't know.

(5) Finally, are there any tips I could give him as to how to construct his deck from the booster packs? (basic advice i.e. how many energy types are suitable, how many evolution lines are good)
Murkrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:30 AM   #7
PokePop

1. Right. They will have blank ID cards on site.
2. Right
3. Yes
4. Yes, PRs are a very easy going tournament. There is nothing on the line. Judges should be in a teaching mode for this event. In fact, even in a Premeire event, honest mistakes should just get cautions and new & young players should be treated with patience. Also, since it's a new set with mostly cards no one has seen before, everyone will be learning new things.
5. Strong basics are good.
Special Conditions are very strong in this format.
Trainers are great, use just about all of them.
Three colors of energy is probably OK, but less if you can manage it.
The deck will be 40 cards for this event, not 60.
4 prizes instead of 6.
Deck make up should be something like:
20 energy cards
5 Trainers (or as many as you get! 5 is about average for these things)
15 Pokemon.
The restriction about 4 cards of the same name is lifted for Limited Format. You can have as many cards with the same name as you want.

The PokeGym