Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Q & A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2006, 11:17 PM   #1
Rakath
GamerChu King!

Rakath is on a distinguished road
Default Creature Swap, NO MORE THREADS ABOUT IT!

Okay, Seto-sama, while this thread is new I suppose leaving it as a stickie would be best, so everyone sees it, after a while it can go into the index where it'll remain. ^_^

Anyway, first and foremost, rulings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature Swap rulings
• "Creature Swap" does not target. The monsters are chosen when its effect resolves, not when "Creature Swap" is activated.

• The opponent cannot chain "Fairy's Hand Mirror", "Riryoku Field", or "Shift" to "Creature Swap" because it does not target. For the same reason, "Lord of D." does not prevent Dragon-Type monsters from being selected, and "Freed the Matchless General" will not negate the effect of "Creature Swap".

• Both players must have at least 1 eligible monster on the field for "Creature Swap" to be activated. If the opponent chains a card (such as "Ring of Destruction") to destroy the only monster on one side of the field, the effect of "Creature Swap" disappears.

• Monsters affected by "Creature Swap" do not return to their owner's control at the end of the turn, they stay under the opponent's control until removed from the field or a card effect such as "Remove Brainwashing" says otherwise.

• The battle position of monsters affected by "Creature Swap" may be changed by card effects the turn "Creature Swap" was activated.

• A player may select a monster that had its battle position changed earlier in the turn (manually or by card effect).

• A player may select a Monster Token.

• A player may select a monster Special Summoned by "Call of the Haunted" or "Premature Burial". If the "Call of the Haunted" or "Premature Burial", still on the opponent's side of the field, is destroyed, the monster targeted by those cards is destroyed also.

• A player may select a monster that is equipped with "Snatch Steal". The original owner of the creature, who now controls the creature again, will still gain 1000 Life Points each turn from the opponent's "Snatch Steal" card as long as it remains on the field.

• A player may activate "Change of Heart" to gain control of an opponent's monster, and then activate "Creature Swap" and select that monster to return to the opponent. At the end of the turn, the monster targeted by "Change of Heart" does not switch sides again since it is already on the owner's side of the field.
I'm going to expand on one aspect a little bit. Creature Swap says:

Quote:
• Monsters affected by "Creature Swap" do not return to their owner's control at the end of the turn, they stay under the opponent's control until removed from the field or a card effect such as "Remove Brainwashing" says otherwise.
However, a better explanations is 'until perminantly removed from the field'. Creature Swap sets the monster as 'yours' until it goes to your Hand, Deck, Grave, or is removed from play for more than a set period of time.

If your Creature Swap took their Dark Magician and gave them Watapon. You may remove Dark Magician with "Dimensionhole" or "Interdimensional Matter Transporter". Even things like "Destiny Hero - Doom Lord". These temporarily remove them from play. So while removed to the original owner's Removed from Game pile, the return to the game from any of those would bring them to your field. Perminant removal like "Bottomless Trap Hole", "Dark Core", and "Chaos Sorcerer" would reset control, as if it was sent to deck/hand/grave.

Due to Creature Swap's wording, a switch MUST TAKE PLACE. There is no way to make the switch one sided. IT IS ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE.

Ways to make Creature Swap not happen:
1. Make your field empty - Nothing for you to give them makes it all not happen.
2. Make their field empty - Same as above.
3. Pick a monster that is currently immune to Spell Cards as your 'switch' - When Creature Swap tries to switch "Horus the Black Flame Dragon LV6" (or the like), it ignores the effect, and the effect vanishes.
4. The only monsters on your field (or their field) are "Mataza the Zapper", "Blindly Loyal Goblin", "Element Valkyrie", "Element Soldier", or "Element Magician" (the last 3 are currently Water monsters, or your opponent controls a Water monster) - All of these monsters have an effect to make them not switch. This means that you cannot even choose them for Creature Swap (same as you cannot target them for Change of Heart). If your field dwindles down to just them, Creature Swap will resolve without it's effect. And if you control anything other than them you MUST PICK THEM as your choice to switch.

You can switch a card that would in some way vanish afterwards, like a Spirit Monster or Gravekeeper's Chief/Amazoness Tiger if they already control one. However Creature Swap is all or nothing, either a trade or nothing moves.

Brawl - "Goggle Pikachu", "Royal Ike", "Forest Marth", and "White Trainer" Mains
Goggle headed rulings junkie, pretty boy, and FFIX fan.
Rakath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
skey23
Checking FAQs FTW!!!

skey23 is on a distinguished road

Here's something else to add...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDE Advanced FAQ
The opponent controls “Silent Swordsman LV5” and “Gemini Elf”. The turn player controls a “Sheep Token” and activates “Creature Swap”. When “Creature Swap” resolves, the turn player selects his “Sheep Token” to give to the opponent. The opponent can select “Silent Swordsman LV5” for the effect of “Creature Swap”. However, since that monster is unaffected by Spell Cards, the force field around him nullifies the effect of “Creature Swap”, and no monsters change sides. (Note that this is very different from monsters that cannot change sides, like “Mataza the Zapper” or “Blindly Loyal Goblin”. These monsters cannot be selected for “Creature Swap” and another monster must be selected instead.)
This example shows how "Creature Swap" interacts with monsters unaffected by Spell Cards, AND gives a ruling on monsters that cannot change sides.

It goes along with your #3 and #4. But it's at least direct from the UDE site.

Player Management Level 3
Yugioh! TCG Rules Knowledge Level 3
WoW TCG Rules Knowledge Level 2
WoW Minis Rules Knoledge Level 2
Huntik TCG Rules Knowledge Level 1
Tournament Organizer Level 1
skey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
Lonely Wolf
Magic Dragon Mod

Lonely Wolf is on a distinguished road

I found this wording to be a tad bit confusing. It could be hard to tell who the "Them" is.

Quote:
If your field dwindles down to just them, Creature Swap will resolve without it's effect. And if you control anything other than them you MUST PICK THEM as your choice to switch.
To elaborate, if you control a "Horus the Black Flame Dragon Lv4"/"Blindly Loyal Goblin"/"Mataza the Zapper"/etc and a "Gate Guardian" , and you or your opponent activates "Creature Swap," you MUST choose to give them "Gate Guardian."

And, I'll go ahead and sticky this for you for a while.

Uber props to Tisi for the sig! Awesome man!!!
My SSBB Snapshots / My SSBB Youtube Page
Trade me Harpie Stuff
Lonely Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Kaiden

Kaiden is on a distinguished road

how does Troja Blast CDIP-EN056 :
Activate only when an opponent's card effect shifts control of a monster from your side of the field to theirs. Destroy that 1 monster and inflict damage to your opponent equal to its attack.

Im guessing not chainable and when it resolves, you keep opponent's monster that was shifted control to you.
Kaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
skey23
Checking FAQs FTW!!!

skey23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiden
how does Troja Blast CDIP-EN056 :
Activate only when an opponent's card effect shifts control of a monster from your side of the field to theirs. Destroy that 1 monster and inflict damage to your opponent equal to its attack.

Im guessing not chainable and when it resolves, you keep opponent's monster that was shifted control to you.
You activate "Trojan Blast" after the effect of the opponent's card resolves. So, if "Creature Swap" was the card that did the swapping, then yes, you keep the opponent's monster.

Hope this helps!

Player Management Level 3
Yugioh! TCG Rules Knowledge Level 3
WoW TCG Rules Knowledge Level 2
WoW Minis Rules Knoledge Level 2
Huntik TCG Rules Knowledge Level 1
Tournament Organizer Level 1
skey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
uchihahirou

uchihahirou is on a distinguished road

If my opponent just attacked with a Giant Orc in the turn previous, and the effect of Giant Orc changed its battle position to defense mode, then I creature swapped for Giant Orc in the following turn with my sheep token. Am I able to change Giant Orc into attack mode, since control of the monster has changed?
uchihahirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
Trowa_B
Master of Magnetism

Trowa_B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihahirou View Post
If my opponent just attacked with a Giant Orc in the turn previous, and the effect of Giant Orc changed its battle position to defense mode, then I creature swapped for Giant Orc in the following turn with my sheep token. Am I able to change Giant Orc into attack mode, since control of the monster has changed?
No. Changing controller's does not reset "Giant Orc's" condition that prevents his Battle Position from being changed. So you will not be able to manually change him to Attack Position until after the condition ends, which would mean you would be able to change him on your next turn (assuming he's alive that long).
Player Management: Level 2
Rules Knowledge - VS System: Level 1
Rules Knowledge - World of Warcraft: Level 2
Tournament Organizer: Level 1
Trowa_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
Rakath
GamerChu King!

Rakath is on a distinguished road

Also there's the effect of Creature Swap that says you can't change the Monster's Battle Position anyway...

Brawl - "Goggle Pikachu", "Royal Ike", "Forest Marth", and "White Trainer" Mains
Goggle headed rulings junkie, pretty boy, and FFIX fan.
Rakath is offline   Reply With Quote