Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
Thrae
Stuffy's Master

Default Gilford The Lightning's True Power!

Okay I have been considering making a Gilford the Lightning Deck for competitive play. What ticks me off is that so many people have already placed Gilford on the non-competitive only list, without even taking into consideration his full potential! Below are just a few reasons I view Gilford as being playable in the competitive environment.
  1. Gilford is the Strongest of the Tribute-Summonable Warrior's. This makes him far more versatile then the warrior that currently see's the most play (BLS-EotB), Further it makes him more playable than either his NOMI brother's Gearfried the Swordmaster and Gate-Guardian.
  2. His effect is possible one of the most game breaking ever created for a tribute monster ever! This ability if played at the right time and in the right ways can get rid of almost every opposition your opponent may have! Simply summon a Maruading Captain and a Kaiser Sea Horse on turn 1 and place a few attack negating traps on the field and summon your Gilford for his effect on turn 2! This combo if played at the right time can get rid of almost anything even your opponents ever so precious big monsters!
  3. He can even be used rather effectively in a Machine/Warrior Fusion Deck! Just use Power Bond to Special Summon (treated as a Fusion Summon) to summon UFOroid Fighter and inflict 8000 damage to your opponent (directly if your lucky! Then use De-Fusion to send UFOroid Fighter back to the Fusion Deck before it has the chance to inflict this damage to you!
  4. I am sure there are more uses for him I just can't think of any at the moment!

All in all I would say that Gilford the Lightning is possibly one of the best of the new Warrior Cards to come out since BLS-EotB simply because it is such a versatile and powerful Warrior for a metagame that seriously is lacking any such monsters!

Peace,
Thrae

P.S. I want to give credit to my friend Boy-Buu for giving me the idea of combining UFOroid and Gilford for such massive damage!

Tarox Deck Wins - R - Aggro/Conrol - Standard Magic Deck
============
Trade List
============
MySpace
My YouTube
============
"Right and Wrong are not what seperate us from our Enemies. Its our different standpoints, our perspective that seperates us."
~Squal Lionheart, FFVIII
Old 09-13-2005, 12:07 AM   #2
pineapple4brains
Fruity goodness

Umm it is horrible beyond beleif seriously... I sac three monsters to blow up(maxand rarely)3monsters and then it get's bottomlessed lame.. Game breaking effect nope not at all Airknight gives you extra cards plus almost guarenteed damage...

dark hole...
I care about what's "tier 1" about as much as I care about having a girlfriend. It just doesn't matter.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:09 AM   #3
Flames of a Phoenix
Night Owl

So, you want to use your monster destruction effect on turn two? Good job. You've killed about two monsters.

And I'd rather sack one monster for Silent Swordsman LV.5 than this, even if the artwork is incredible. Three Tributes is too much for a Raigeki.
"There are plenty of more productive things I can think of to do with my time than argue with a bunch of scalers. For example, emptying my trash can all over the floor, sorting all the trash by date, and then throwing it all away again."
Old 09-13-2005, 12:18 AM   #4
The Obsession
Walkin' the Line

I'm there for Gilford. Woo!!!!! :cool:

Big thanks to Supercali for Image.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:21 AM   #5
Tsurai-Shi
{Sport Guru}

honestly, Thrae....are you serious?
Old 09-13-2005, 12:23 AM   #6
Thrae
Stuffy's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames of a Phoenix
So, you want to use your monster destruction effect on turn two? Good job. You've killed about two monsters.
Actually you misunderstood my post... the turn 1 and turn 2 thing had nothing to do with actuall turns in a game but the number of minimum necessary turns to summon Gilford for his effect. sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsurai-Shi
honestly, Thrae....are you serious?
Yes completely

============
Trade List
============
MySpace
My YouTube
============
"Right and Wrong are not what seperate us from our Enemies. Its our different standpoints, our perspective that seperates us."
~Squal Lionheart, FFVIII
Old 09-13-2005, 12:41 AM   #7
Nivek_Night

Yea. I agree. Gilford sucks, in just any deck. I believe what Thrae is saying is not "mwaha, Gilford is the best! Raigeki! w00t!," but in fact, that Gilford is very useful in the right deck. Warrior decks have never had any trouble getting the required three monsters, but 3 aren't necessary, you can sacrafice 2 for a 2800 beatstick (I know, DMOC > GIlford for a 2800 2 trib).

The fact that Gilford can be re-summoned is in itself beautiful. There are very few 2800+ creatures that can be special summoned without reaching some condition first. (Yes, I know that Charity's Death hurts that aspect.)

In a well-balanced Warrior deck, I believe that running one Gilford is a fairly good idea. Bottomless Trap Hole does kick Gilford in the bad spot, but So do dozens of counter cards that counter basically everything, downing a card because it can be countered is _IMO_ a bad idea. Why run a Cyber End Dragon OTK if all it takes is waboku, kuriboh, threatening roar, etc. to potentially spell game?

I wouldn't run Gilford, because I avoid 2 trib monsters like the plague, but it does have some serious potential!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:46 AM   #8
Thrae
Stuffy's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek_Night
Yea. I agree. Gilford sucks, in just any deck. I believe what Thrae is saying is not "mwaha, Gilford is the best! Raigeki! w00t!," but in fact, that Gilford is very useful in the right deck.
Why thank you, and that entire post is exactely what it was I was trying to say!!! :D

============
Trade List
============
MySpace
My YouTube
============
~Squal Lionheart, FFVIII
Old 09-13-2005, 12:58 AM   #9
mightymage
pm me to duel on YVD

You'll need lots of easily summoned field presence if you want to use him well.
Even Gravekeepers may be a bit too slow for this particluar monster, so you may need to use something that brings out monsters a little bit faster.

Rescue Cats x 2-3
Mystic Tomato
Giant Rat
Nimble Momonga x 3
Giant Germ x 3
Last Will x 3

A build like this would likely get you the trib material you need to utilize Gilford's effect.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:32 AM   #10
Thrae
Stuffy's Master

Mightymage, if the sole purpose of the decks build is to use Gilford the Lightnings effect then yes a build like the one you suggest is okay.

However what so many of you seem to neglect is the fact that it is not necessary to tribute three monsters in order to summon Gilford. You can summon Gilford just like all other 7+ Star Monsters by tributing 2 monsters. It is only if you want to use his effect that you must sacrifice a third monster.

Also there are other ways to soften the blow of the requierment for Gilford's effect. I provided one example when I first made this thread! If you have 1 Kaiser Sea Horse and 1 other monster on the field you in essence have 3 monsters on the field when it comes to summoning Gilford the Lightning because Kaiser Sea Horses effect allows him to act as 2 Tribute Monsters when you tribute him for a Light Monster which is what Gilford happens to be! Further if you activate the Spell Card Soul Exchange you get to maintain the field presence you would have lost, yes I know your gonna say but you lessen the Raigeki-like effect, but remember your clearing your opponents entire field and also yours (aside from Gilford) unless you find a way to maintain a decent field presence, and Soul Exchange is one of the best! Other ways to get this card on the field include lowering it from a 7-star monster to a 5-star monster with Cost-Down, or better yet using my old favorite from Dark Paladin Decks Tribute Doll.

Ultimately one needs to remember one of the most endearing features about Gilford is not his effect! It is his RAW unbridled potential! This Card can be summoned to the field in so many different ways and has the best attack to date of all the non-special-summon-only Warrior's, that makes him useful for just about every single Warrior Deck. It is my opinion that from now on, unless the deck is a BLS-EotB/Warrior Deck it should run at least one of these guys as it is going to be their strongest card!

============
Trade List
============
MySpace
My YouTube
============
~Squal Lionheart, FFVIII
Old 09-13-2005, 02:34 AM   #11
Gentris

Omg, wow... you like really phail at yugimon.

Last edited by Gentris : 09-13-2005 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:45 AM   #12
Thrae
Stuffy's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentris
Omg, wow... you like really phail at yugimon.

Please use proper english when you insult me... other wise I don't know how to respond ;)

============
Trade List
============
MySpace
My YouTube
============
~Squal Lionheart, FFVIII
Old 09-13-2005, 02:51 AM   #13
Fiber_Jarred

3 Tributes for a 7+ monster? No thanks...

It's far far far too heavy cost for it's raigeki like effect...
Chance is you never use the effect..
That makes Gilford a 7+ effectless monster.. Ouch...

Like it's effect? Use raigeki in Trad. or dark hole comes new Adv.
And reflips those sexy MoF..

Casual and in properly constructed Gilford deck.. it might shines..
ATM it's just an awesome artwork binder-worthy card...
No. 1 DEC18 Australian Regional

R/F Below Deck Plz
AGHBEN - 4ggr0_B3nK3i Prod. (Post-English-Ban)
Old 09-13-2005, 03:18 AM   #14
Tyrant Magnet Dragon

Does anyone besides me think that BEWD + Burst Stream is significantly better than Guilford?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:36 AM   #15
Nivek_Night

Tyrant_Magnet_Dragon, BEWD + Burst stream require almost just as much work as Gilford, though I definitely see the advantages. Watch out for those dreadful Bottomless Trap Holes, though! :eek: Heh, I like the idea of Gilford because I use him in an entirely different idea, to be honest, my deck using Gilford has used him only for his Warrior-ness and his beefy attack. Uforoid + Gilford = 4000/2600 attacker you can special summon from your hand, De-fusion, and attack again. With a clear field, that's 4000+2800+1200=8000=game. *prepares for the barrage of 'Cyber End OTK is better!!!' posts" XD. (A debate for another thread!)
Old 09-13-2005, 07:16 AM   #16
Aethereal
Elite Designer

Gilford is a necessary casual card (he goes into my Joey deck as soon as I get him), but that's about it. His effect is *not* worth the three tributes at all. Even if you use Kaiser Seahorse to make it two tributes, it doesn't change the fact that you're paying a lot for a one-trick pony. Blue-Eyes + Burst Stream is a much better choice if you really want to play a Raigeki effect. :\
Old 09-13-2005, 08:03 AM   #17
Faust_8
The 8th Homunculus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrae
Okay I have been considering making a Gilford the Lightning Deck for competitive play. What ticks me off is that so many people have already placed Gilford on the non-competitive only list, without even taking into consideration his full potential! Below are just a few reasons I view Gilford as being playable in the competitive environment.
  1. Gilford is the Strongest of the Tribute-Summonable Warrior's. This makes him far more versatile then the warrior that currently see's the most play (BLS-EotB), Further it makes him more playable than either his NOMI brother's Gearfried the Swordmaster and Gate-Guardian.
  2. His effect is possible one of the most game breaking ever created for a tribute monster ever! This ability if played at the right time and in the right ways can get rid of almost every opposition your opponent may have! Simply summon a Maruading Captain and a Kaiser Sea Horse on turn 1 and place a few attack negating traps on the field and summon your Gilford for his effect on turn 2! This combo if played at the right time can get rid of almost anything even your opponents ever so precious big monsters!
  3. He can even be used rather effectively in a Machine/Warrior Fusion Deck! Just use Power Bond to Special Summon (treated as a Fusion Summon) to summon UFOroid Fighter and inflict 8000 damage to your opponent (directly if your lucky! Then use De-Fusion to send UFOroid Fighter back to the Fusion Deck before it has the chance to inflict this damage to you!
  4. I am sure there are more uses for him I just can't think of any at the moment!

All in all I would say that Gilford the Lightning is possibly one of the best of the new Warrior Cards to come out since BLS-EotB simply because it is such a versatile and powerful Warrior for a metagame that seriously is lacking any such monsters!

Peace,
Thrae

P.S. I want to give credit to my friend Boy-Buu for giving me the idea of combining UFOroid and Gilford for such massive damage!
1) He is NOT more versatile than BLS-EotB. Think about it. Really hard.

Besides, everything is more versatile than Gate Guardian. It goes without saying.

2) Actually, BLS-EotB has the most game-breaking effects ever. That's why he's getting Forbidden and Gilford has no restrictions whatsoever.

3) So you actually think Tributing 3 Monsters to Summon Gilford and having Power Bond in-hand AND attacking successfully is likely, eh?

Everyone here knew that newbies would go crazy over Gilford. You're proving us right.

I do admit that he's probably a little bit better than what everyone here says ("Gilford suxxors", you know how it is). He's a "fun" card, and can even be "fun-competitive", but not competitive in Regionals or above.
The problem with most religious people is that their religion isn't theirs, it's their parents, or their nations, or both. Your parent's views and the geography of your hometown has much more influence on your religion than "truth" ever will. Be honest and ask yourself: Did I choose my religion or was it chosen for me?
Old 09-13-2005, 08:06 AM   #18
kenshinEtErNaL
Airman First Class

Gilford the Lightning's true power is simple to understand.

Bookmark.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:26 AM   #19
RedEyes Black Dragon
Voice Master

Location: That depends. Look at that little light under my Trader Rating.

Look, people, it's simple. All you half ta do is use cards that let you summon 2+ monsters in 1 turn. I'll list the ones off the Top of my head:

Ultamete Offering
Marauding Captin
Stray Lambs
Gilasarus

That's all I can remember. There are more.

I'm building a Gilford deck, so I consider him useful.

Red-Eyes Black Dragon's Fury

Credit to flame champion for avatar and Elk of 08 for banner

Why Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is PG-13
Old 09-13-2005, 09:04 AM   #20
topspin1617
Disappear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyes Black Dragon
Look, people, it's simple. All you half ta do is use cards that let you summon 2+ monsters in 1 turn. I'll list the ones off the Top of my head:

Ultamete Offering
Marauding Captin
Stray Lambs
Gilasarus

That's all I can remember. There are more.

I'm building a Gilford deck, so I consider him useful.
You end up killing more of your own monsters by sacrificing 3 of them. If you could ever get 3.
From all this wasted pain
But I can't save you from yourself

Read my blog and comment!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #21
Kuraudo
VII - Redemption

Cyber Dragon and Kaiser Seahorse in some fun Freed the Brave Wanderer Dimension Fusion deck.

Any deck that swarms, consider Gravekeeper's Spies.

Whatever else.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:33 AM   #22
GK Curse
Banned User

Quote:
He can even be used rather effectively in a Machine/Warrior Fusion Deck! Just use Power Bond to Special Summon (treated as a Fusion Summon) to summon UFOroid Fighter and inflict 8000 damage to your opponent (directly if your lucky! Then use De-Fusion to send UFOroid Fighter back to the Fusion Deck before it has the chance to inflict this damage to you!
i like gilford, its picture is nice, and its so shiny!

but im just here to correct this. the damage from power bond has nothing to do with the monster, you can burn your fusion into ashes after you summon it, but you will still take the 4000 damage(or whatever the monsters original atk is) at the end of the turn.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #23
What Is It ?
Byukagan Owns You!

Quote:

Peace,
Thrae

Too bad it sucks and you have to play sucky cards to summon a sucky monster. IMO, not worth it in any decks
Old 09-13-2005, 12:31 PM   #24
michaelok

The only way any monster that requires 3 tributes to summon and get its effect can EVER be considered good or game breaking is this

If you successfully tribute summon this monster by sacrificing 3 monsters, and your opponent does not win within the next 3 turns because of this blunder, bonk your opponent on the head for being a moron, then destroy all his monsters, spell and trap cards and discard every card in his/her hand. After this, your opponent cannot draw for 3 turns or take control of/destroy this monster or protect his/her life points. If you cannot win after all the above lean forward 90 degrees and ask for it.

seriously 3 tributes suck...the 3 monsters on the field would do more damage anyway
Old 09-13-2005, 12:42 PM   #25
|FullMetal|

hes good but u have to make deck arounb him good