Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Random Topic Center > Anime Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
Jmanunknown
Beyond The Grave

Jmanunknown is on a distinguished road
Default Showtime and G4 aquire the rights to air a few ADV animes

"ADV has also signed agreements with Cartoon Network to show the entire Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series, with Showtime to show Chrono Crusade and Peacemaker Kurogane, and with G4 to show Colorful. "

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention.php?id=240

"Is their an indelible line dividing sanity from insanity or do they change one into the other at the slightest turn of events."

Vincent Volaju
Jmanunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
kenshinEtErNaL
Airman First Class

kenshinEtErNaL is on a distinguished road

Evangelion? Freakin' crazy. I never saw it before, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I just wonder, adult swim or Toonami though...

kenshinEtErNaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
Charninja
Le Chef du Pervers

Charninja is on a distinguished road
Default ...

WAAAAHOOOOOO!!!!

I've been buying the tapes and dvds of Evangelion as I've come across them, but I'm nowhere near the end of the series; I've only seen about 8 episodes or so. Wonder how they're gonna deal with the (minor and unimpressive) fanservice segments though...

You SUCK R.O.B. Die.
Charninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
Secret Squirrel
Super Uber Mod

Secret Squirrel is on a distinguished road

I've been waiting to see Evangelion on tv for a while now. Need to see if the ending is worth buying all the DVDs, as I've heard it sucks. This is going to be cool.
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
Buster Blader 126
Rebellion Crusader

Buster Blader 126 is on a distinguished road

*Cries as more good anime escapes the clutches of Canada*

The only way I can get it is by ordering it on my cable company's "On Demand" thingy, but I have to pay $2 per episode. Heck no. I want FREE anime, darn it!

I have also heard many good things about Evangelion, which irks me when I hear it's going to air on Cartoon Network.
Buster Blader 126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:43 AM   #6
CBASS
The Cigar Aficionado

Location: With a Bunch Of Juggalo's Runnin With Katanas In Chicagoland!
CBASS is on a distinguished road

this is eccelent, I've seen part of Evangileon. This will be good. YAY

Wanna see what the hell I look like and stuff, go here!
CBASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:47 AM   #7
Ace of Spades
No Day But Today

Ace of Spades will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charninja
(minor and unimpressive) fanservice segments though...
You ain't seen nothing yet.

The final two episodes are only good if you like thinking too hard, otherwise they are pretty much one of the worst ways to end an anime. I can't see CN airing the movies, so the casual viewer will have to stick with the TV ending. The movies are much better done, but still confusing and filled with psychobabble.

"Because they have more than 500 posts?"

"No silly, its because of the cinnamon sugar swirls in every bite! Cinnamon Toast Crunch is a part of this balanced breakfast!"
Ace of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:55 AM   #8
DarkFire224
Pojo Veteran

DarkFire224 is on a distinguished road
Default Re:

Evangelion, hmmm never heard of it, but i'm still looking forward to it, too bad I don't have either channel...

Visit my Yu Yu Hakusho site. It is not great, and I need to add tons, but it is a real cool place http://www.freewebs.com/darkfire224/
DarkFire224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #9
Jmanunknown
Beyond The Grave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFire224
Evangelion, hmmm never heard of it, but i'm still looking forward to it, too bad I don't have either channel...

Evangelion is airing on CN. Chrono Crusade and Peacemaker Kurogane are airing on Showtime and Colorful is airing on G4 on their Anime Unleashed block.

"Is their an indelible line dividing sanity from insanity or do they change one into the other at the slightest turn of events."

Vincent Volaju
Old 07-05-2005, 11:49 AM   #10
DarkFire224
Pojo Veteran

DarkFire224 is on a distinguished road
Default Re:

Really? When is Evangelion airing, I haven't seen it yet...

Visit my Yu Yu Hakusho site. It is not great, and I need to add tons, but it is a real cool place http://www.freewebs.com/darkfire224/
DarkFire224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:21 PM   #11
Jmanunknown
Beyond The Grave

Quote:
Really? When is Evangelion airing, I haven't seen it yet...

AS hasn't decided on a date when they will air the show yet.

Vincent Volaju
Old 07-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
Ace of Spades
No Day But Today

My bet would be sometime in the December/January timeframe, leaning towards January.

If I have my scheduling correct, Samurai Champloo will return in November alongside Ghost in the Shell Second Gig along with the final episodes of FMA. Scryed will finish its run around the November/December time, so Eva could probably take that slot. If AS decides to run it on weekdays, they have a lot more free reign as to where to put it, since weekday Action is all reruns.

Fullmetal Alchemist seemed to be a good ratings grabber, so this could be the scene come December.

11:00 Fullmetal Alchemist
11:30 Samurai Champloo
12:00 Inuyasha
12:30 Evangelion
1:00 Ghost in the Shell: SAC Second Gig
1:30 Trigun/Cowboy Bebop/FLCL or something

If they still use the comedy lead-in, then there's trouble. One of the premieres would have to take the graveyard slot of 1:30. And it would probably be Second Gig.

"No silly, its because of the cinnamon sugar swirls in every bite! Cinnamon Toast Crunch is a part of this balanced breakfast!"
Old 07-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #13
Jmanunknown
Beyond The Grave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Spades
My bet would be sometime in the December/January timeframe, leaning towards January.

If I have my scheduling correct, Samurai Champloo will return in November alongside Ghost in the Shell Second Gig along with the final episodes of FMA. Scryed will finish its run around the November/December time, so Eva could probably take that slot. If AS decides to run it on weekdays, they have a lot more free reign as to where to put it, since weekday Action is all reruns.

Fullmetal Alchemist seemed to be a good ratings grabber, so this could be the scene come December.

11:00 Fullmetal Alchemist
11:30 Samurai Champloo
12:00 Inuyasha
12:30 Evangelion
1:00 Ghost in the Shell: SAC Second Gig
1:30 Trigun/Cowboy Bebop/FLCL or something

If they still use the comedy lead-in, then there's trouble. One of the premieres would have to take the graveyard slot of 1:30. And it would probably be Second Gig.

Naw they won't go back to all action saturdays unless FMA can pull in 800,000 18-34 viewers. Thats not gonna happen. The comedy lead-in is what gets the animes the casual crowd.

This is the schdule I expect them to go Once Samurai Champloo returns and Scryed finishes.

11:00 Futurama/Sealab/ATHF
11:30 Fullmetal Alchemist
12:00 Ghost in the Shell: SAC Second Gig
12:30 Samurai Champloo
1:00 Evangelion
1:30 Big O/WHR/WR

Vincent Volaju
Old 07-05-2005, 07:12 PM   #14
Charninja
Le Chef du Pervers

Default ...

Quote:
You have lost any respect you might have gained amongst the otaku community here, and have given up any chance of regaining some.

You SUCK R.O.B. Die.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:46 PM   #15
DarkLightner
Milk Shake Vet

DarkLightner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanunknown
Naw they won't go back to all action saturdays unless FMA can pull in 800,000 18-34 viewers. Thats not gonna happen. The comedy lead-in is what gets the animes the casual crowd.

This is the schdule I expect them to go Once Samurai Champloo returns and Scryed finishes.

11:00 Futurama/Sealab/ATHF
11:30 Fullmetal Alchemist
12:00 Ghost in the Shell: SAC Second Gig
12:30 Samurai Champloo
1:00 Evangelion
1:30 Big O/WHR/WR
Are you sure about that Comedy lead in? Samurai Champloo is often times very funny, and could easily attract the casual viewer.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:15 AM   #16
kenshinEtErNaL
Airman First Class

Quote:
You have lost any respect you might have gained amongst the otaku community here, and have given up any chance of regaining some.
Oh come now, we were all like that at one point.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:38 AM   #17
Jmanunknown
Beyond The Grave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightner
Are you sure about that Comedy lead in? Samurai Champloo is often times very funny, and could easily attract the casual viewer.

Have you been keeping up with what just happened to AS all action? Futurama had to be brought back in because, not one single show on the block could bring in consistently good ratings. Theres is not one anime that AS has that would be a good lead in not even FMA could keep all action saturdays float it would suffer the same fate as all animes on AS have if they don't have a comedy lead in which is get really bad to decent ratings .

Vincent Volaju
Old 07-06-2005, 09:55 AM   #18
DarkLightner
Milk Shake Vet

DarkLightner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Have you been keeping up with what just happened to AS all action? Futurama had to be brought back in because, not one single show on the block could bring in consistently good ratings. Theres is not one anime that AS has that would be a good lead in not even FMA could keep all action saturdays float it would suffer the same fate as all animes on AS have if they don't have a comedy lead in which is get really bad to decent ratings .
I'm aware of that, but having a comedy lead-in probably isn't just one reason. It could possibly be that more accesible shows like s-CRY-ed and Samurai Champloo were on later than need be. (Although Champloo has held the same spot.) It would have been better to place these shows at the beginning, since you really don't need to be a devout Anime fan to enjoy them.

I don't think repeat episodes of the same comedy shows make that large of a difference.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #19
Jmanunknown
Beyond The Grave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightner
I'm aware of that, but having a comedy lead-in probably isn't just one reason. It could possibly be that more accesible shows like s-CRY-ed and Samurai Champloo were on later than need be. (Although Champloo has held the same spot.) It would have been better to place these shows at the beginning, since you really don't need to be a devout Anime fan to enjoy them.

I don't think repeat episodes of the same comedy shows make that large of a difference.

Have you ever seen the ratings for repeat episodes of Family Guy and Futurama they are really good. Even though every Futuama episode has been run a million times it still pulls in at least 2 times as many viewers then top rated anime.

The one difference between animes and comedy's like Futurama, American Dad, Robot Chicken etc. thats keeping animes from going mainstream is continuity. With comedies you can miss an episode one week and comeback next week watch that episode and you've missed nothing but, with animes if you miss just one episode its over you get completely lost.

Vincent Volaju

Last edited by Jmanunknown : 07-06-2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:15 PM   #20
Charninja
Le Chef du Pervers

Default ...

Quote:
The one difference between animes and comedy's like Futurama, American Dad, Robot Chicken etc. thats keeping animes from going mainstream is continuity. With comedies you can miss an episode one week and comeback next week watch that episode and you've missed nothing but, with animes if you miss just one episode its over you get completely lost.
So... shouldn't people be watching it MORE so that they don't get lost?

You SUCK R.O.B. Die.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #21
Jmanunknown
Beyond The Grave

Quote:

The "casual viewers" are not as dedicated fans to anime as the hardcore anime fans so they may miss an episode or two. Thats where the whole continuity thing comes in.

Vincent Volaju
Old 07-06-2005, 01:38 PM   #22
Ace of Spades
No Day But Today

So in theory, Super Milk-Chan should have worked. The problem being that Super Milk-Chan was... stupid.

The whole continuity thing may explain the popularity behind Inuyasha and Cowboy Bebop. It's easy to pop in and watch an episode of the series without too much background. If a person misses an episode of a continuity-heavy show, they'll come back in and be completely lost, then give up on the series.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #23
Jmanunknown
Beyond The Grave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Spades
So in theory, Super Milk-Chan should have worked. The problem being that Super Milk-Chan was... stupid.

The whole continuity thing may explain the popularity behind Inuyasha and Cowboy Bebop. It's easy to pop in and watch an episode of the series without too much background. If a person misses an episode of a continuity-heavy show, they'll come back in and be completely lost, then give up on the series.

Yes in theory Super Milk-Chan should have worked but, what held Milk-Chan back is that it was based on Japanese Pop culture and I don't think Viewers in other countries are gonna get something like that. Thats why I think Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi would have been a much better choice of an Anime Comedy from ADV for AS because, it has a broader appeal because, of the broad pop culture references that it has in its show even though theres continuty in the show you wouldn't get lost because, most of the episodes are standalone.

Vincent Volaju
Old 07-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #24
kenshinEtErNaL
Airman First Class

Quote:
This is North America we're talking about. I don't know very many Americans willing to take the extra step to understand things.

Old 07-06-2005, 02:55 PM   #25
vdraconis
Holy Seraph

vdraconis is on a distinguished road

So, they're airing Eva late night. That'll *really* mess up some peoples' heads. Hopefully, they'll end it with End of Eva instead of the standard 25/26. I hear that all the male dubs, though, are kinda high-pitched...

Back and ready to roll.

Member of "Rap Haters Club"
vdraconis is offline   Reply With Quote