3 Rusalka, Aqua Chaser
1 Dragon of Reflections

3 Bone Blades
3 Terror Pit
2 Death Smoke
2 Scaradorable of Gloom Hollow
2 Razorkinder Puppet
1 Skull Shatter

Something I'm messing around with. Not sure how I feel about this deck as a whole, not enough games in yet with it. Comment and let me know what you think needs tweaked/fixed.

Last edited by Statistic : 04-16-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Statistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
AHShadow
Pojo's True Shadow

Since you like keeping your deck at 40 cards, I'll not suggest anything that will go higher.

First, I think you have way too many blockers. I find that 6 is usually enough in most decks and in DWL I'd probably go to a maximum of 9. I'd take out 1 Scaradorable of Gloom Hollow and 1 Star Lanturn for either 2 Spy Mission or 1 Dragon of Reflection and 1 Issyl. I find that playing only 9 water cards makes it hard to consistently get Logos Scan on turn three, which would be your best turn 3 play in the deck and adding two more water cards to your curve would probably help more. Add Spy Mission if you seem to miss the turn 3 Logos, but beware of decking out, especially with only 40 cards. I thought that decking wouldn't happen that often, but I've seen it being pulled off quite often. The other option would be too add 1 Issyl and 1 Dragon of Reflections. I really like DOR, since you can put a Stormspark or a Pit and just go on the aggression and start attacking shields, since you know that your opponent wouldn't be able to kill you in one shot. Issyl is really good with SSB, Lyra and Canyon Skimmer since you can tap monsters and they'll be frozen for a turn.

The other fix I would make is to play 1 Skull Shatter instead of the 2nd Death Smoke. With 3 Crystal Memories, you have easy access to it and it is such an important card against the mirror match and other control decks that like to keep their hand.

If you consider going up to 42, I would add in two Keeper of Dawn, since it gets you back all your spells.
Your offer is pretty sexy and I accept please pm me.
AHShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
Brightside

Solid deck Stat, I'm going to point out some stuff I noticed.

Stuff I like:

- 40 Cards
- 3x Crystal Memory (Control's should run 3. Hardcasting CM is a great play turn four, no matter who went first.)
- 2x Death Smoke (Want to see this at 3 too, but for a 40 card deck this is fine)

Some suggestions:

- Not sure Andromeda needs to be at 2
- Stormspark should be at 2
- At least one Dragon of Reflections
- You need at least 1 copy of Skull Shatter, the way your deck is right now it will lose the mirror match unless they're a ****ty player. Don't rely on that being the case.

IMO:

-1 Andromeda/SoGH
-1 Stormspark
+1 Dragon of Reflections
+1 Skull Shatter

DO NOT take out the second Death Smoke.

Last edited by Brightside : 04-16-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Brightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Statistic
Pojo Veteran

I mainly ran andromeda at two because of those hands you open with it and get forced to mana it. The 2nd copy never was much of an issue, but i can understand how it wouldnt kill me to put it to 1. Ill test both ways, but i really wanna keep SoGH at 3 because it shuts down saber-Bolt rather well for me.

I'll take the rest of the suggestions though, sounds good to me.

A trend everyone keeps jumping on in Kaijudo is to run more than 40 cards and I HATE HATE HATE these people. They act like Kaijudo is different than all these other TCG games and it isn't. 40 cards is the optimal number you must run in all decks.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
VinylTurn
Equestrian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistic View Post
A trend everyone keeps jumping on in Kaijudo is to run more than 40 cards and I HATE HATE HATE these people. They act like Kaijudo is different than all these other TCG games and it isn't. 40 cards is the optimal number you must run in all decks.
Quoted for truth XD
VinylTurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Statistic
Pojo Veteran

I'll probably get some hater coming in here telling me why I need to run 5 more cards in my deck because it is Cobalt Control and I will deck out lol. /Has never decked out in over 300+ games of Kaijudo, ever.

Also, why is Keeper of Dawn getting so much hype? I realize he's a good turn 5 play but I feel he is so slow....I can waist a turn to summon a measly 4k beater whos gonna do nothing on board for me and again spend another turn using the spell I grabbed. Two ways I see this:

1. He's good if your in a bad position or know whats coming in the coming turns. Getting that Death Smoke/Terror Pit etc back to be prepared is worth the setup at times.

2. You are in a good position and dont need to waist 2 turns to activate 1 spell. I just see him as a real hit or miss card and he has always been a lot more situational to me in my testings and hasnt really provided me with enough pros to merit room for him in s 40 card deck thats already tight for space.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #7
FSU2011
Pojo Veteran

Im not really sure why you dont want to go over 40 cards. Decking out isnt the reason either (even though I decked out someone who ran a deck like this since they drew so much and they ran 45 cards). The reason why 40 isnt a good number in Kaijudo is because you start the game with 1/4 of your deck. This means your going to draw into multiples of things easily which leads to cluttering hands.

The guy who won the PAX tourney played 50 cards. I personally run 44, you dont even notice it really. Especially if your playing 3 Crystal Memory and all that draw power. You want options in a big meta, especially come KMC time when you never know what you will match up against. You never know what you will face so techs really do help.

Its kinda hard to really edit this deck when all that can really be done is adding cards to expand on to it. Keeper of Dawn is good in control match ups, against Aggro its bad but its good in the late game mainly.

Id like to add in Dracothane and take out 1 Rusulka. Then Id take out 1 Star Lanturn for Spy Mission. Dracothane is pretty good in this deck and it needs more offense overall. I dont like 3 Rusulka (I wish there were better options to take it out all together I dont even like running 2).

It would be a better deck if you could open up to more cards. The best players currently in the game play pretty decently sized decks and it wouldnt be surprising to see big decks very often due to having more options. Plus I dont want to mention the deckout thing but with all the draw power your playing and all the shield droppers (like Andromeda and Cobalt), its easy for people in the control match up to keep going back and forth with the other player with board clearing and end up decking.

Pokemon Trades

MTG Trades

Last edited by FSU2011 : 04-19-2013 at 12:55 AM.
FSU2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
VinylTurn
Equestrian Dreamer

I'm pretty sure most of the people at Pax east were noobs who just learned the game. Logically it just makes sense to run as little cards as possible, and if you really need to run more, 41 or 42 probably won't hurt you, but getting any higher is just going to make your deck inconsistent.

Still, though, 40 is just logically the right move.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
CVH
Profoundessional

This game is the only game where you can use any card as mana, so yes, it IS different. I agree that aggressive decks should stick to 40 but control is a dofferent beast entirely and you don't want to open with late game cards even though you want to run sets of things like Terror Pit.
Kaijudo Writer for AlteRealityGames and Kaijudo.com
CVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
AHShadow
Pojo's True Shadow

I also used to think that playing more than 41-42 cards is stupid, especially since I was coming from a ygo background, where you always played 40 card decks and even 41 was considered stupid by some people.

Another thing which sets this game a part from the bigger games (Yugioh, Magic) is that you are not allowed to have a side-deck. For example, in ygo, it's almost as you would be playing 55 cards (without counting your XYZ, Synchro, Fusion deck). In Kaijudo, the only way you can use certain tech cards that will help you in certain matchups is to play them in your deck, so that's why it is a good idea to go over 40 cards.

If you take your Cobalt Control deck as an example, all the cards that you are currently playing is the "backbone" of the deck, and most of the time, the structure to a DWL deck playing Cobalt, will be very very similar to this, with maybe 3-4 cards difference. However, if you wanted to play say Grand Gure, since you are having a hard time against Saber-Bolt, well you would be able to play it. It won't be good against all of the decks, but for that one matchup, you would like to have access to Grand-Gure so the SaberBolt player won't be able to run over it, except if he has a Root Trap.

How I basically think about it is you are incorporating side deck cards into your deck and since you don't want to remove core cards for tech cards that will only be useful in certain matchups, you would just add it and go over 40.
Your offer is pretty sexy and I accept please pm me.
AHShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Statistic
Pojo Veteran

I'm not having a hard time vs saber bolt, hence, the gloom hollows. All these supplied reasons are just poor excuses to running more than 40 cards. This use to happen to yugioh too and look where it is at now, 40 cards! Running 45-50 card decks is beyond blasphemy and stupid. Now I'm not saying the people who DO play there decks at these ratios are bad players, however, I do think they have the wrong idea in general about TCG card design. I hear a lot of you same posters talking about how consistency is the name of the game but run 45+ cards and it makes me sick because if you want consistency stop running all these cute techs for decks you MIGHT see. The way the game is going now focus your deck around countering your worst match ups and that should be your primary goal in deck construction in Kaijudo for any personal 'tech' you decide to use. No, nobody will ever convince me to go past 40 cards. I wanna get to the important cards faster and more consistently. Faster is winning.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
FSU2011
Pojo Veteran

Are you sure your playing a control deck lol? You dont really win fast in Control, with control your supposed to draw the game out until your opponent is cleared out and then kill all their shields. Not playing past 40 cards in control is not a good idea since you typically draw the game out for a while (which is why deckout could be a problem, its typically not but in mirror matches it can happen). Do you really want to draw Terror Pits and Stormspark Blasts in your opening hand? Is that your idea of consistency? Each turn in this game your putting things into your resources, you don't really need speed in this game to win since you run tons of draw power, searchers and multiples of things.

I still think you dont understand that in Kaijudo, your starting the game with a 1/4 of your deck when playing 40 cards. Other games you don't do this. Plus you run these things called "Shield Blasts", and you want a better chance of having them in your shields instead of drawing them.

Kaijudo isnt like every other TCG, the biggest selling point in this game is being able to run anything due to the flexibility. . Sure, you don't want to play a huge deck just for the sake of it, but at the same time you need an edge against certain decks since you cant side. Im not really sure why you posts your decks if you dont want people to make changes.

Pokemon Trades

MTG Trades

Last edited by FSU2011 : 04-19-2013 at 06:49 PM.
FSU2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
CVH
Profoundessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistic View Post
I'm not having a hard time vs saber bolt, hence, the gloom hollows. All these supplied reasons are just poor excuses to running more than 40 cards. This use to happen to yugioh too and look where it is at now, 40 cards! Running 45-50 card decks is beyond blasphemy and stupid. Now I'm not saying the people who DO play there decks at these ratios are bad players, however, I do think they have the wrong idea in general about TCG card design. I hear a lot of you same posters talking about how consistency is the name of the game but run 45+ cards and it makes me sick because if you want consistency stop running all these cute techs for decks you MIGHT see. The way the game is going now focus your deck around countering your worst match ups and that should be your primary goal in deck construction in Kaijudo for any personal 'tech' you decide to use. No, nobody will ever convince me to go past 40 cards. I wanna get to the important cards faster and more consistently. Faster is winning.
Faster actually isn't winning lol. I don't care whether I draw Terror Pits in my opening hand or on turn 5-6. And at the end of the day, the space I made for Keeper of Dawn gives my deck 5 Terror Pits to your three. But whatever, I guess me, Carl, Carl Reddish, Andy Criss, Bobby Brake, and everyone else running 42-48 in certain control builds are all wrong haha.

Additional Comment:

Of course those philosophies only apply to control decks like I said.

Last edited by CVH : 04-19-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
pReTTyWhItEbOi

For some decks using trial and error, amdromeda, gloom tomb and such, decking out is certainly a possibility, so yes, playing over 40 would definitely make sense.

Also, control builds with heavy draw, shield regeneration, etc. should have over 40.
pReTTyWhItEbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
Tacho
He hacks and jacks

Yugioh is honestly just a bad game that gives you absolutely no +1 draws, just a ton of conditional +0's. That's why you run 40 in Yugioh. Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity were banned and are never coming back. Also, the way the game works in Yugioh, you can just spam deck mill cards and win that way. This is also why people lose in Yugioh immediately because of a bad opening hand. In Kaijudo, you can open with a bad hand and still win.
Tacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #16
CVH
Profoundessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by pReTTyWhItEbOi View Post
For some decks using trial and error, amdromeda, gloom tomb and such, decking out is certainly a possibility, so yes, playing over 40 would definitely make sense.

Also, control builds with heavy draw, shield regeneration, etc. should have over 40.
Going over 40 rarely has anything to do with decking out. That usually only occurs in the grindiest games or when someone's running an excessive amount of draw.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
Aiden_Thorne

Thinking there is only one way to do something is just flawed logic. Some builds work better with 40, and some work better with more than 40—especially control. A 48 card control with 3x Keeper of Dawn is going to out last a 40 card control that is trying to rush (Oxymoron?).

40 cards limits your options, options that are the backbone of control; especially DWL with its tool box play style.

Looking to trade? See if I have anything you want at My Trades

Tired of losing? Can't understand what you're doing wrong? Check out my articles to improve your game!

Looking for videos with competitive insight? Check out the official Gates of Fate Youtube Channel
Aiden_Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
VinylTurn
Equestrian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU2011 View Post
I still think you dont understand that in Kaijudo, your starting the game with a 1/4 of your deck when playing 40 cards. Other games you don't do this. Plus you run these things called "Shield Blasts", and you want a better chance of having them in your shields instead of drawing them.
*Facepalm*

Please remind me how does making your deck bigger increases the odds of getting a card in the top 5 cards as opposed to the top 10. >_<

In fact it's the opposite. Adding more cards to your deck decreases the odds of getting shield triggers in the top 5 as 10/40 becomes 10/48, etc. The majority of these cards are going to be in the 43 cards that aren't your shields. Even if you add more shield triggers, the majority of them are still more likely to end up in your hand.

I can understand adding some cards for draw and tech, but this doesn't even make sense.

Last edited by VinylTurn : 04-22-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #19
GrepherDK
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacho View Post
Yugioh is honestly just a bad game that gives you absolutely no +1 draws, just a ton of conditional +0's. That's why you run 40 in Yugioh. Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity were banned and are never coming back. Also, the way the game works in Yugioh, you can just spam deck mill cards and win that way. This is also why people lose in Yugioh immediately because of a bad opening hand. In Kaijudo, you can open with a bad hand and still win.
Yes.....you COULD do that, but I really only think that will come about if you out pace your opponent, like *****leBack spam early game into SaberBolt and finish them off before a Cobalt or Andromeda.

And while Yugioh isn't in the most skilled format right now, which is why more people are preferring sealed, late in the life of Duel Masters, some pretty dumb stuff was ruining the game for everyone same as every other card game, so give Kaijudo some time to get there =P.

Last edited by GrepherDK : 04-22-2013 at 07:18 PM.
GrepherDK is offline   Reply With Quote