Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Single Card Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Kenai
Mymomworks4Konami

Default Helios - The Primordial Sun

After seeing some championship results in the OCG, I was surprised to see a previously-thought-to-be below-par card in a Decklist; it was none other than Helios - The Primordial Sun.

Many people seem to forget that this is the monster that can be Special Summoned by activating Macro Cosmos. Why would you run it?

I came across to realize some of it's potential. It was being played in a (T)Hunder Deck, where many Level 4 LIGHT monsters are Summoned as a means to Xyz Summon.

In the TCG, many Decks are attempting to main Macro Cosmos. The aptly coined "Macro Rabbit" is one the these many Decks gaining popularity for it's effectiveness against the meta.

In an age of Xyz Summoning, could the advantage of Macro Cosmos be increased further by also providing Level 4 Xyz fodder? Would teching Helios - The Primordial Sun be too inconsistent for Decks that run Macro? Why?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
darkcrab
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
After seeing some championship results in the OCG, I was surprised to see a previously-thought-to-be below-par card in a Decklist; it was none other than Helios - The Primordial Sun.

Many people seem to forget that this is the monster that can be Special Summoned by activating Macro Cosmos. Why would you run it?

I came across to realize some of it's potential. It was being played in a (T)Hunder Deck, where many Level 4 LIGHT monsters are Summoned as a means to Xyz Summon.

In the TCG, many Decks are attempting to main Macro Cosmos. The aptly coined "Macro Rabbit" is one the these many Decks gaining popularity for it's effectiveness against the meta.

In an age of Xyz Summoning, could the advantage of Macro Cosmos be increased further by also providing Level 4 Xyz fodder? Would teching Helios - The Primordial Sun be too inconsistent for Decks that run Macro? Why?
An odd idea to be sure, but i cant help but feel that such a slot could always be dedicated to a better card.
XD

Ahh, I'm glad I didn't go to locals on time today. This was worth it. You have my thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazu View Post
The hilarity of this thread is expanding the life time of several compiler errors significantly. This is your fault, darkcrab.
darkcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
daasianmang
Evilswarm Fanatic

^Basically. Good in theory, but drawing this card would just suck. The deck runs fine without it.
daasianmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
nimblemanta
Pojo Veteran

A single Sun in a deck with 3 Macros sounds good. A free plus is a free plus.
nimblemanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
Alice
<.<Nghtmare<.<

A free LV 4 for synchro or xyz?
Sure,why not?

If there is something you don't understand about puppet feel free to PM me. If you got issue with your puppet deck, I will do my best to fix it
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Hatt

In theory it sounds good, just need some people to actually test it. As for all the arguments with "it sucks to draw helios or the spot could be used for something better". LOOK AT DINO RABBIT. You play a bunny that fetches VANILLA monsters from your deck, and one of them only boast 1700 attack points. Does it suck to draw a Kabazauls? Aww hell yes, it does!
Now, I do realise that rabbit plays are alot more devastating than helios, and I also know that helios is worse to draw than Kabazauls, but the fact still remains that Kabazauls is a horrid draw, but it still sees play, so why couldn't helios also see play?
In a perfect scenario, someone with a macro rabbit deck should test it and come tell how it went, because let's face it, theoryOH does not always work IRL.
Hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
daasianmang
Evilswarm Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatt View Post
In theory it sounds good, just need some people to actually test it. As for all the arguments with "it sucks to draw helios or the spot could be used for something better". LOOK AT DINO RABBIT. You play a bunny that fetches VANILLA monsters from your deck, and one of them only boast 1700 attack points. Does it suck to draw a Kabazauls? Aww hell yes, it does!
Now, I do realise that rabbit plays are alot more devastating than helios, and I also know that helios is worse to draw than Kabazauls, but the fact still remains that Kabazauls is a horrid draw, but it still sees play, so why couldn't helios also see play?
In a perfect scenario, someone with a macro rabbit deck should test it and come tell how it went, because let's face it, theoryOH does not always work IRL.
I don't mind drawing Kabazauls that much actually. If I draw several vanillas first turn with some backrow, I tend to just set it with backrow. They tend to not attack it because they fear backrow or Sangan or something else. Follow it up next turn with a normal summon of another vanilla. It's not the End of the World drawing into Vanillas; with two Rabbit and two TGU, normal summoning with the vanillas you draw into tends to happen a lot more often than you'd think.
daasianmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
T-REX
Lurking...

The biggest Problem with Helios though is that when you want to bring it out... Early game it's attack is pitiful so unless you are going to use it to Synchro or XYZ on that turn it really doesn't contribute to your strategy in any way.

And LATE game to bring it out you have to risk "Dead Drawing" it just for that chance of getting a large attack monster... Equally as underwhelming.

At least you can also Normal Summon it... Whooh!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrel Dragon_080 View Post
T-Rex, you are one of the most logical and sane people on this site (seriously), I've seen many of your arguments and they pretty much all make perfect sense and are logical.
The HELP HUB... The Help Hub Strategy Guide Link Thread. The Help Hub... Team Thread.
Self-FTK Strategy Guide:
T-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
Valafar123
Pojo Veteran

I've always been a fan of throwing a random Helios into Macro Decks.
Valafar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
FFK7
Pojo Veteran

Well if you don't want to draw helios you simply put only 2 of them in your deck and to me extra deck thinning is always good. In this case I would say it same as drawing into mali when you already have mali in grave.

I run it in my macro decks. Haven't made macro rabbit deck, but I like using it in my lightray macro.
FFK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
Hatt

daasianmang, can we agree that if you had drawn, say, a guaiba instead of a vanilla then you would probably be alot happier for the draw?
My purpose was not to bash rabbit with it having "bad draws", it was simply to show the naysayers of helios that if one can play six "bad draw" cards, then a seventh won't hurt that much, as you could use helios the same way you described (albeit not with it turning into an evolzar, though).
Hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
AcselOfDarkness
Dark Acceptance

No, if you don't want to draw it you only run 1. I don't think anyone would try putting 2 Helio in a deck that just techs 3 Macro.
It sounds like a decent enough idea but I'd like to see what actually happens. I suppose Macro, summon Helio, Rabbit into 2 Dinos, make Shockmaster, play some backrow would be fairly intimidating, especially if you could follow it up with an Evolzar next turn. If Laggia + Backrow + no grave isn't GG then adding Shockmaster probably would be.

Keep in mind that Macro can summon Helio from the hand or deck, so if you do draw it you don't necessarily have to waste it. Normal Vanilla, play Macro, summon Helio from hand might be resource intensive but you at least gain access to a bigger monster.

Mental Seeker Stall/Deck Out
Psychic Norleras
YouTube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by petqwe View Post
Pojo should add an upvote button for you.
AcselOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
Alice
<.<Nghtmare<.<

some people don t like LIGHT LV4?

If there is something you don't understand about puppet feel free to PM me. If you got issue with your puppet deck, I will do my best to fix it
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
Kenai
Mymomworks4Konami

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcselOfDarkness View Post
No, if you don't want to draw it you only run 1. I don't think anyone would try putting 2 Helio in a deck that just techs 3 Macro.
It sounds like a decent enough idea but I'd like to see what actually happens. I suppose Macro, summon Helio, Rabbit into 2 Dinos, make Shockmaster, play some backrow would be fairly intimidating, especially if you could follow it up with an Evolzar next turn. If Laggia + Backrow + no grave isn't GG then adding Shockmaster probably would be.

Keep in mind that Macro can summon Helio from the hand or deck, so if you do draw it you don't necessarily have to waste it. Normal Vanilla, play Macro, summon Helio from hand might be resource intensive but you at least gain access to a bigger monster.
I thought about this too; a quick Rank 4 Xyz Summon when you need it.

Curiously enough, I just came across a few OCG Dino Rabbit Decks that tech 1 Helios - The Primordial Sun. I think with a Deck as flexible as Rabbit, it may make a decent 1-of. I think some testing will have to ensue to determine whether or not a single Helios - The Primordial Sun is worth it.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
sd800
Numbers Enthusiast

I used Helios as a free Xyz Material on DN many moons ago when I thought Macro Cosmos was the best thing ever (in a way, it still is).

Interesting to see an actual discussion about it.
sd800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
Kenai
Mymomworks4Konami

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd800 View Post
I used Helios as a free Xyz Material on DN many moons ago when I thought Macro Cosmos was the best thing ever (in a way, it still is).

Interesting to see an actual discussion about it.
Decklist? Just curious.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
sd800
Numbers Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
Decklist? Just curious.
I don't have it anymore (I delete decks from time to time), but now I wish I did.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #18
N.Nick
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Macro Cosmos + this + Cyber Valley = +1.
Still pretty situational.
N.Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
elite gaymer
Guatemalan Hipster

wheres the decklists for the ocg players that tech this?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #20
Kenai
Mymomworks4Konami

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite gaymer View Post
wheres the decklists for the ocg players that tech this?
They're on Shriek. Don't look at all the BS local tournaments, look at the championship tournaments with more players. They generally lend better results. I've seen it tech'd at 1 in Dino Rabbits and 2 in a Thunder Deck.

Also, where's the obligatory "broken in Macro Decks" that I'm supposed to get from you?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #21
Omni~Mage
Blind MST?

I guess I'm not the only one who's considered using Helios in Macro decks. I've always felt it's a shame to run Macro but not get a plus out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspar View Post
No one knows what the heck the OCG is doing.
Especially the OCG.
Omni~Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #22
jtm94
Pojo Veteran

Makes me wonder how many people don't use Solemn Warning against Macro Cosmos when they've had the chance.
jtm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
sd800
Numbers Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm94 View Post
Makes me wonder how many people don't use Solemn Warning against Macro Cosmos when they've had the chance.
I'm guessing because many people don't notice that Macro Cosmos can actually Special Summon something, and they're more concerned about their Graveyard becoming non-existent.

EDIT: Also, even if they knew, they'd probably prefer MST'ing it than using their Warning on it instead of a monster.

Last edited by sd800 : 12-03-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #24
jtm94
Pojo Veteran

I'm sure the situation has come up where they didn't have mst and needed the grave.
jtm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #25
T-REX
Lurking...

The issue with Helios and one that hasn't been brought up yet... Surprisingly, is the fact that you are in practically all instances going to be activating Macro Cosmos on your opponents turn and thus Helios is going to sit there all useless like!!!

I don't know when other people activate Macro Cosmos but I activate it during the Draw Phase of my opponents turn thus any "Cost" type Draw cards don't get to send a monster to the Graveyard first if I chain Macro Cosmos to it's activation.
The downside to this is you let your strategy "Cat" out the bag but the advantage is you have the jump on your opponent from the get go.

That's my Reasoning for why Helios is not really that good, plus it's attack never really gets that high and apart from either being a beater (LOL) or a Synchro/ XYZ material it's use's really are small, plus if you do get it on your opponents turn it's not going to survive till your turn... Unless somehow you've been devious!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrel Dragon_080 View Post
T-Rex, you are one of the most logical and sane people on this site (seriously), I've seen many of your arguments and they pretty much all make perfect sense and are logical.
The HELP HUB... The Help Hub Strategy Guide Link Thread. The Help Hub... Team Thread.
Self-FTK Strategy Guide:
T-REX is offline   Reply With Quote