Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Gossip
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #51
Cybernetic_Dragon
Pojo Veteran
 
Cybernetic_Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Berlin, Germany
Age: 26
Posts: 805
iTrader: 0
Default

Will people stop saying yugioh is an investment, buying an apartment is an investment, buying stock is a potential investment, purchasing comics from the 1940s is an investment, NOT buying yugioh cards, cards in this game retain their value for 1-1.5 years and then it's done, investment implies that the thing you've INVESTED in will not only retain value but also RISE in value....now everyone raise their hand who has a 1st edition tour guide and it's still worth 150+ ....anyone....anyone.... ?

If you like the game, buy cards and boxes, you can also become good at trading and not spend a dime, is it actually worth spending money on this game? No not at all, there's no long term monetary value in it, collecting and buying and trading to make new friends, getting a new hobby and just having fun, then yes, at that point it is worth it
Cybernetic_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #52
BlueEew
Pojo Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 23
Posts: 2,624
iTrader: 10 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by social analyzer View Post
My parents said that cards shouldn't be value so much because they are essentially just paper.
Money is just paper. /thread
__________________
UK Trade List
BlueEew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #53
DKMagicianGirl
Off-Topic Master
 
DKMagicianGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jacksonville FL
Age: 27
Posts: 12,791
iTrader: 88 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernetic_Dragon View Post
Will people stop saying yugioh is an investment, buying an apartment is an investment, buying stock is a potential investment, purchasing comics from the 1940s is an investment, NOT buying yugioh cards, cards in this game retain their value for 1-1.5 years and then it's done, investment implies that the thing you've INVESTED in will not only retain value but also RISE in value....now everyone raise their hand who has a 1st edition tour guide and it's still worth 150+ ....anyone....anyone.... ?
Buying an apartment is not an investment. Buying an house is.
Buying stock is an investment.

But yet you say buying comic books from the 1940s is an investment and yet buying Near Mint, clearly rare, old school Yugioh cards isn't? I look at both as the same, neither has any actual value in the long run to most people but there is collectors willing to drop good cash to get their hands on copies of a card that simply is no longer in print and is clearly rare to find.

Yugioh has a lot of collectible value that can be used as an investment if you are willing to go into it. I picked up a 1st Edition Mint SDK Blue-Eyes White Dragon for 5 trade value. On eBay right now, the lowest Buy-It-Now price for a Near Mint or better 1st Edition SDK Blue-Eyes is under $39.

I got a MFC 1st Edition Dark Magician Girl that is at least Near Mint that I brought for $30 from TrollandToad 3 years ago. There is none listed on eBay for less than $50.

I still have people wanting to buy my 2 misprint MFC Dark Magician Girl for upwards of $75 a copy. The lowest LOB 1st Edition Monster Reborn, an icon for this game, is $40.

While this may not be a wise or a good investment, there is definitely value and profit to be gained from it if you are willing to be patient.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Titanic View Post
Kaiba's always been about playing with big Ds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer of Chaos View Post
He and my wife have something in common then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Titanic View Post
You caught her cheating?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer of Chaos View Post
They both have blue eyes .
DK's Trade Thread: http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread...4#post28882844
DKMagicianGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #54
daasianmang
Evilswarm Fanatic
 
daasianmang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 746
iTrader: 4 (100%)
Default

Well, personally I do find it worth it. I do play games, not too often though. Last game I purchased was Assassin's Creed 3 and before that it was a discounted copy of Infamous 2 back in July. At this point in the game though, my actual spending on YGO cards is limited because I have quite a good collection and cards everyone needs. I tend to just trade/sell those, and then use those as my YGO budget. Occasionally, if the person just happens to not need anything, and I really need what they have, I will buy it and I won't be cheap about it.

I find YGO to be like any other hobby. I enjoy it, I have fun playing despite being a competitive player, and even though it costs money, I'm more than aware of it because every hobby tends to cost a lot of money when you start getting yourself into it a lot.
daasianmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #55
MasterYubel
Pojo Veteran
 
MasterYubel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,154
iTrader: 0
Default

With high-value cards getting reprinted, I don't think it's worth spending tons of money, even to build winning decks because once that reprint comes around, your pretty $200 card becomes just $70 or something like that. It's like the saying goes: Good things come to those who wait.
MasterYubel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #56
Thebanlistsuxx
Registered User
 
Thebanlistsuxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,838
iTrader: 0
Default

id not spend more than $50 on a deck anymore,
paying more than that would make me feel stupid, and winning isnt worth it.

doing really good trades equals ripping in YGO so you wont be able to do so without being an as.s either (and yes i ripped in the past and am not proud of it)
Thebanlistsuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #57
-.N.-
カンガルーのように!
 
-.N.-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jumping
Posts: 1,630
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by social analyzer View Post
A retail copy of Halo 4(example) currently cost about 60$ and I can build a competitive deck with just that amount of cash.
Pffffhahahahaha. Your version of competitive sounds hilarious.

Last edited by -.N.- : 11-23-2012 at 04:30 PM.
-.N.- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #58
G@P K!D
DN = (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
G@P K!D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 5,046
iTrader: 159 (100%)
Default

@ OP question:

Only if:

1. Your having fun with the game.
2. You have your priorities set (money wise) in your life.
__________________
Getting troll hard by Pojo's Server!
G@P K!D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #59
Cybernetic_Dragon
Pojo Veteran
 
Cybernetic_Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Berlin, Germany
Age: 26
Posts: 805
iTrader: 0
Default

what world do you live in where buying ANY type of rental property isnt an investment ? and stock declines in value WAY more than any apartment or piece of real estate ever would u pretentious ***** , unless youre great at playing the field which 99% of people arent


and u compare buying a NM/M action comics 1 to buying a 1st edition Blue Eyes White Dragon, are you SERIOUS?!

NOTHING in this game retains actual value, if you can take a 1st edition blue eyes and get 30+ for it, by ALL means go for it, but for NORMAL people who cant trade things like that, because no one CARES for them, thats a different situation
Cybernetic_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #60
DKMagicianGirl
Off-Topic Master
 
DKMagicianGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jacksonville FL
Age: 27
Posts: 12,791
iTrader: 88 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernetic_Dragon View Post
and u compare buying a NM/M action comics 1 to buying a 1st edition Blue Eyes White Dragon, are you SERIOUS?!
Ummm....YES!

Comics to me isn't worth the price of the paper it is printed on as far as I'm concerned. I don't give 2 craps how old it is. It's just paper and ink to me.

Same thing with Trading Cards to anyone else who don't care for it: It's just pieces of cardboard.

To anyone who don't care for neither, they both are the same: worthless and a complete waste of materials. To anyone wanting to collect one or both, it means a lot more to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernetic_Dragon View Post
NOTHING in this game retains actual value, if you can take a 1st edition blue eyes and get 30+ for it, by ALL means go for it, but for NORMAL people who cant trade things like that, because no one CARES for them, thats a different situation
Oh really? Tell that to Magic the Gathering and Pokemon. I see their very old cards holding up value quite well. I don't see why Yugioh should be an exception to this discovery.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Titanic View Post
Kaiba's always been about playing with big Ds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer of Chaos View Post
He and my wife have something in common then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Titanic View Post
You caught her cheating?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer of Chaos View Post
They both have blue eyes .
DK's Trade Thread: http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread...4#post28882844

Last edited by DKMagicianGirl : 11-23-2012 at 06:07 PM.
DKMagicianGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #61
PrixPwr
A New Dawn Arrives
 
PrixPwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,693
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKMagicianGirl View Post
Oh really? Tell that to Magic the Gathering and Pokemon. I see their very old cards holding up value quite well. I don't see why Yugioh should be an exception to this discovery.
Pokemon and Magic cards retain their value because there are multiple competitive tournament formats; they also have set rotation. YGO has neither of these.
__________________
[Team1 * | Team2 * | KingManV5 K]

[Everywhere: PrixPwr]
PrixPwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #62
Sheentaku
Waifu hunter
 
Sheentaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,474
iTrader: 5 (100%)
Default

Few years ago? hell no but now i have lost interest in video games and due to a health condition i cant drink alcohol anymore. So why not? its the only thing i really spend my spare income on after the bills are paid.
__________________
Vanguard Decks: Angel Feather, Royal Paladin, Pale moon, Dimensional police, Aqua Force, Neo Nector, Genesis

Current Yugioh Decks : Harpie, Sylvans
Sheentaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #63
CyberDragonDaedalus
#PojoMiddleman
 
CyberDragonDaedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tampa, Florida area
Posts: 15,843
iTrader: 694 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterYubel View Post
With high-value cards getting reprinted, I don't think it's worth spending tons of money, even to build winning decks because once that reprint comes around, your pretty $200 card becomes just $70 or something like that. It's like the saying goes: Good things come to those who wait.
It's for the most part why people should not try unless they are running a comic/card shop. I pulled a secret Pot of Duality one day. I was not needing it, so I was going to see about selling it off. The next day, the reprint of it being in the tins was confirmed and I saw the value of it plummit. In the end though, I really did not end up losing so badly since I pulled it from a pack. Rarity bumps on sets nowadays almost garauntees a certain card(s) will retain some value over time, but it is still a dice roll.
__________________

by [Genesis]
Trade Thread Middleman PTC Subscribe

Last edited by CyberDragonDaedalus : 11-23-2012 at 10:35 PM.
CyberDragonDaedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #64
princeting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 68
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKMagicianGirl View Post
Ummm....YES!

Comics to me isn't worth the price of the paper it is printed on as far as I'm concerned. I don't give 2 craps how old it is. It's just paper and ink to me.

Same thing with Trading Cards to anyone else who don't care for it: It's just pieces of cardboard.

To anyone who don't care for neither, they both are the same: worthless and a complete waste of materials. To anyone wanting to collect one or both, it means a lot more to them.



Oh really? Tell that to Magic the Gathering and Pokemon. I see their very old cards holding up value quite well. I don't see why Yugioh should be an exception to this discovery.
your addiction to yugioh has led you to believe that the cards you have are worth investing in. Vintage comic books dont get reprinted. A Pot of Duality does get reprinted. Seeing as yugioh is constantly evolving it is not an investment in the sense a mortgage or stock is an investment. When all is said and done investing in yugioh isn't akin to investing in a business. There's room for growth in a business investment, there isn't for a collectible item.
princeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #65
Fastvash
Registered User
 
Fastvash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: lewisville, TX
Posts: 110
iTrader: -1 (0%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernetic_Dragon View Post
Will people stop saying yugioh is an investment, buying an apartment is an investment, buying stock is a potential investment, purchasing comics from the 1940s is an investment, NOT buying yugioh cards, cards in this game retain their value for 1-1.5 years and then it's done, investment implies that the thing you've INVESTED in will not only retain value but also RISE in value....now everyone raise their hand who has a 1st edition tour guide and it's still worth 150+ ....anyone....anyone.... ?

If you like the game, buy cards and boxes, you can also become good at trading and not spend a dime, is it actually worth spending money on this game? No not at all, there's no long term monetary value in it, collecting and buying and trading to make new friends, getting a new hobby and just having fun, then yes, at that point it is worth it
ulti Crush Card Virus best INVESTMENT i have ever made next to a collection binder of dragged down also a good INVESTMENT
Fastvash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #66
reshinov
streets ahead
 
reshinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 1,953
iTrader: 68 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrixPwr View Post
Pokemon and Magic cards retain their value because there are multiple competitive tournament formats; they also have set rotation. YGO has neither of these.
Right on Magic, wrong on Pokemon - there's no official tourney format for Pokemon except Modified (though I do hope TPC does something about this sometime soon!).

The situation you describe pertains to something like an Alpha Black Lotus which, although a very ancient card, is absolutely ridiculous in Vintage. It holds value both in being one of the icons of its set and being a staple in a format.

In Pokemon, gold stars, Crystal Pokemon, and the "legendary" 1st edition base set Charizard see no play, but retain their values just as well.

Why? They are part of a game that seems to "cherish" its history; that is, these cards will never see a single reprint outside of a Worlds deck (which prints a nonholo counterpart) or some extraordinary promo event.

However, the point being made is still valid nonetheless. YuGiOh, with a lack of rotation, causes cards from way back to still remain relevant. In order to keep the game accessible and "cheap," they had to reprint cards from the heyday - could you imagine how much a LOB Monster Reborn would cost if you had to use the ultra rare original? Even though the original 1st edition is expensive, it feels as if the authenticity of the card is marred in a sense only because you could wave hundreds of other common but equal copies under its nose.

Of course there are some historic cards like the LOB Blue-Eyes or Monster Reborn, but the true money cards lie overseas, where YuGiOh history is much more pronounced, high-level tournaments, which produce one-of cards such as Victory Dragon and friends, and booster packs with chase secrets that Konami loves to make (and reprint shortly after).

The only investing I've made in YuGiOh was for fun, such as picking up ultimate System Downs a month before Geargia, or ulti Broww before the Dark World deck released. Of course they yield some amount of profit, but nothing compared to real investments or a job, so investing is a term used joshingly in this regard (unless it's an entire company, of course).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynafrom View Post
I'm hoping for a utopia reprint

Last edited by reshinov : 11-24-2012 at 12:54 AM.
reshinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #67
Solus
Kiri-sute gomen
 
Solus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Nether
Posts: 9,881
iTrader: 39 (100%)
Default

"Do you find it is worth spending a lot of money on Yugioh cards?"

Absolutely not, I still regret the 20's I spend on Beast and Barkion (in their prime) and the 25 on BLS and that is the most I ever spend on cardboard.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Dreamer View Post
Seriously, people need to let others play whatever they want already.
Please take a look at my, Yu-Gi-Oh! / Cardfight!! Vanguard, trade threads.
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #68
JulioD
Learning the Ropes
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 21
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by social analyzer View Post
My parents said that cards shouldn't be value so much because they are essentially just paper.
So is money.
JulioD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #69
DKMagicianGirl
Off-Topic Master
 
DKMagicianGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jacksonville FL
Age: 27
Posts: 12,791
iTrader: 88 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeting View Post
your addiction to yugioh has led you to believe that the cards you have are worth investing in. Vintage comic books dont get reprinted. A Pot of Duality does get reprinted. Seeing as yugioh is constantly evolving it is not an investment in the sense a mortgage or stock is an investment. When all is said and done investing in yugioh isn't akin to investing in a business. There's room for growth in a business investment, there isn't for a collectible item.
I'm not addicted. At all. Don't ever assume that of me.

Also, I didn't know LOB 1st Edition Monster Reborn get reprinted in the exact same rarity, edition, and set. The only Blue-Eyes White Dragon with the original SDK art and as a Secret Rare didn't lose value because of the common, Super, and Gold/Ghost rare reprints.

A Secret DREV Pot of Duality is still $30 despite we had 2 very recent and accessible Super and Rare reprints. Anyone who wants a Pot of Duality can get those but those Secret copies isn't any more available than it was in the past and they are still keeping decent value despite this because, frankly, they are still the rarest copy in the market.

The TP2 Ultra Morphing Jar is still well over $100 despite the very recent and very common Ultra reprint in Legendary Collection 3. Now, when was the last time Morphing Jar seen any form of competitive play outside of being a tech choice for Dark World (which most don't do) and having it based around Empty Jar?

Charizard from Pokemon got reprinted in Base Set 2 a few years after the original Base Set release and that didn't stop the original 1st Edition copy from being $200+.

There is definitely investment value out of this game. It is not a wise or good investment, as I said before, but there is no way you can't tell me that collecting these cards can't merit a possible profit Return.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Titanic View Post
Kaiba's always been about playing with big Ds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer of Chaos View Post
He and my wife have something in common then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Titanic View Post
You caught her cheating?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer of Chaos View Post
They both have blue eyes .
DK's Trade Thread: http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread...4#post28882844
DKMagicianGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #70
vincentamerica
Pojo Veteran
 
vincentamerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denton, TX
Age: 22
Posts: 560
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernetic_Dragon View Post
cards in this game retain their value for 1-1.5 years and then it's done, investment implies that the thing you've INVESTED in will not only retain value but also RISE in value....now everyone raise their hand who has a 1st edition tour guide and it's still worth 150+ ....anyone....anyone.... ?
That is why you have to know the market and when to sell. Anyone that was trying to make money off of Tour Guides sold them at 150+ when they were at that price. They're not trying to sell them at that price anymore. They've moved onto other money cards and investments. People who are smart at making money off this game sell them within that 1-1.5 year period.

Example of a yugioh investment-
Buying a ton of Wind-Up Hunters for under a dollar from about this time last year to about a month from now. And then selling them for 15$ when ORCS dropped.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCxyz View Post
You, my friend, have won this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_bankotsu View Post
its called "Game Mechanic", but it was a short print in the "Learn to Play Mega-Pack" and that set didn't sell so well cause all it came with was a rulebook and 1 Mega-Pack
vincentamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #71
OnewhosetMalicious
#StandAloneComplex
 
OnewhosetMalicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 4,591
iTrader: -1 (0%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentamerica View Post
That is why you have to know the market and when to sell. Anyone that was trying to make money off of Tour Guides sold them at 150+ when they were at that price. They're not trying to sell them at that price anymore. They've moved onto other money cards and investments. People who are smart at making money off this game sell them within that 1-1.5 year period.

Example of a yugioh investment-
Buying a ton of Wind-Up Hunters for under a dollar from about this time last year to about a month from now. And then selling them for 15$ when ORCS dropped.
I remember wind up hunter going for a decent amount when it was released.
OnewhosetMalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #72
Inzektor
gagaga vet
 
Inzektor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: baltimore, maryland Deck: gagaga.dek
Age: 17
Posts: 5,016
iTrader: 50 (100%)
Default

if you have been with a deck for a while then i do not see the harm in rarity-bumping all the cards in said deck that you have kept.
__________________

card name | deck name | playmat location | action
Inzektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #73
DrJint
Learning the Ropes
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10
iTrader: 0
Default

No, I really don't but I sure do love to weigh packs, lol.
DrJint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #74
vincentamerica
Pojo Veteran
 
vincentamerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denton, TX
Age: 22
Posts: 560
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnewhosetMalicious View Post
I remember wind up hunter going for a decent amount when it was released.
They might have been at release, but they were definitely under a dollar this time last year.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCxyz View Post
You, my friend, have won this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_bankotsu View Post
its called "Game Mechanic", but it was a short print in the "Learn to Play Mega-Pack" and that set didn't sell so well cause all it came with was a rulebook and 1 Mega-Pack
vincentamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #75
social analyzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 192
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKMagicianGirl View Post
Buying an apartment is not an investment. Buying an house is.
Buying stock is an investment.


Buying an apartment isn't an investment? How come it isn't?

Can't you buy an apartment and then rent it out for income?
social analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

 
Advertisement


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.