Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh Video Games & DDM Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
ZodyZappa
Pojo Veteran

Lightbulb Dueling Network vs YGOPro - The Battle of the Pros and Cons

I know I had a previous thread about people putting their own Pros and Cons about the two gaming sites and ultimately choosing which gaming site is the best in their opinion, but the reason for this thread because after fully experiencing DN and YGOPro with every issue and feature they have, I decided to put my own Pros and Cons for them. So here we go:

( DN Pros )

1. No Need to Download - Probably the biggest PRO for Dueling Network. If you want to play DN, all you have to do is look up the website, log in, and BAM, you're in Dueling Network. No need for any downloading sites, no need to wait 1-3 hour to complete the download, and most of all, no worry about losing your download for whatever reason.

2. Deck Constructor Simplicity - Their Deck Constructor is very easy to use once you've learned how it works. Their search engine has a lot of variety and it makes it more simple to search for a specific card you're trying to find.

3. HUGE Player Base - DN has a LOT of players to duel on there. So you don't have to duel the same person over and over again. Plus, they also have a Search Finder on there to find anyone you know that's online.

4. Automatic Updates - DN updates every now and then with new cards from TCG & OCG, DN Features, new Duel Functions, their server, and other stuff, but all they require is for a very short downtime to process all the new stuff for the website.

5. The Admins - Now I'm not going to say that EVERY admin on DN is wonderful and awesome because there are those who are inexperienced with certain rules and some who don't take their position seriously, but for those like AntiTcb, The Detonator, SavrCosmicFighter, Miley Syrus +, World King, LukeRandi, they do take their position seriously and they try to help the players in any way they can.

( DN Cons )

1. No Official Instruction Guide - One of the biggest CONS of DN. New people come to DN everyday, but they have no clue how to make a deck, host a duel, and how to use the duel functions. They really need a Visual Instruction Guide for new players to see so they get how to use DN properly.

2. Random Disconnection - Since DN is a website that runs on the Internet, there's a huge risk that the Internet you are using could Malfunction for some reason and disconnect you while you are in a duel or making a deck.

3. The Lack of Logical Players - Unfortunately, DN is NOT automatic, meaning you have to play your cards and effects MANUALLY and DN is VERY EASY to access. This unfortunately leads to players who have no clue how to play the game host and join duels which leads to constant calls to admins and an never-ending conflict of trolling and ragequitting all because the player did not know about a card ruling or a specific gameplay mechanic.

( YGOPro Pros )

1. Automatic Duel Functions - YGOPro's Biggest PRO yet. The game is designed to be like Tag Force or YGO WC games where all the effects and rules of the cards and effects are AUTOMATIC. So there's no need for complaining about a card ruling or a gameplay mechanic.

2. Variety in Dueling - Not only you can play regular TCG and/or OCG Duels, you can also play Tag Duels and Anime Duels for those who like to play the game in unique ways.

3. Replay System - Another great PRO from YGOPro. After you're done with a Duel or Match, you can save it as a Replay and you can view it again.

4. Customizing Options - Unlike DN that makes you increase your Rating/Exp or Donate to get Custom Avatar and Sleeves, YGOPro allows you to customize your Sleeves and Background to your own liking for FREE.

( YGOPro Cons )

1. Having to Download - YGOPro's biggest CON. It takes quite some time to download YGOPro. It can take anywhere from 1-3 hours, depending on their download link and your internet speed. Also, it will depend if your Security System will ALLOW the download to be processed.

2. The Admins - The admins on YGOPro are completely rude and very irresponsible. They're barely helpful and they even troll and mess around on the chat. I haven't met one admin on YGOPro who takes their position very seriously and would answer any question from a player in a respectful and professional manner. I'm sorry if this ticks off a YGOPro admin on here, but from what I have experienced, the admins are horrible on there.

3. Constant Updating - Unfortunately even after successfully downloading YGOPro, you have to download the updates over and over and over, just to get the new cards or features. It doesn't take as long as downloading the main game, but it's still tedious and annoying.

4. No Instruction Guide - The same issue with DN, YGOPro for new players can get very confusing when they don't know how to use the Deck Constructor and how to host a duel. Plus, there are certain functions on YGOPro that require a Key Command, and every new player that gets YGOPro will not know them. As much as DN needs an Instruction Guide, YGOPro needs it even more because it's more confusing to use than Dueling Network.

So with all these Pros and Cons, it's hard for me to choose because one has this while one has the other. Plus, both have similar problems and their own problems as well. So for now, I say DN is better, but I hope the YGOPro will get better.

So, which of the two would you choose and why?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Neonian
im cute & popular

Play whichever one makes you happy I guess. Doesn't need to be a contest does it?

All these "Play YGOPro it's better than DN" and vice-versa sigs make me sick.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
ZodyZappa
Pojo Veteran

Well I play both because certain friends of mine are on DN and certain friends of mine are on YGOPro, so truthfully, I actually decide on one against the other lol. I'm just weighing out on the Pros and Cons and ultimately, one can't be compared against the other because they're completely different. I just like DN more because, it's a little simpler to use than YGOPro which may shock some ppl on here lol.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Murmillo91
GB's pistol

The pros and cons for each are exactly the reason I play both. When I want to play new cards/decks I go to DN because they can upload cards much easier and faster than YGOPRO(they need 100% scans to do it), when I want a noob free environment I go to YGOpro, even if they are noobs Ygopro won't allow them to make illegal moves. etc
Everything.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Lorax
[Semi-Retired]

I actually like "not automatic" DN though. It promotes people to learn more about rulings. But yes, it's frustrating to go against ruling noobs in DN sometimes. I try to explain as calmly as possible, but it doesn't work all the time.

I cannot believe someone made this thread.
Me neither, Fuzzy.
Lorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Zayelion
YGOPro Programmer

I used to be an admin at TDOANE and during my tenor I had my team the tech team in a private room and we barely spoke to the other admins only the userbase, and the other admins stayed on skype and where utterly useless because Seto kept hiring and promoting crap admins. All they did was start stupid wars and divide the userbase.

IF you are talking about TDOANE admins as the YGOPro admins, they all suck cuz they are admin rejects from other places, DN won't even have them. So no, you are not insulting us admins. Even I'm a total ******* and I admit that but I get the job done atleast.

On the con of updates and admins, the skilled admins that are helpful left and started Devpro, that system has auto updates, and re-installation is only needed when new dependencies are added for advanced features, and the installer adds them for you but it is still rare, twice in over 20 versions.

YGOPro doesn't actually need admins, it's a political position that means nothing. The ones at Devpro are either programmers or chat mods.

I wrote the wiki on Cyberdarks, then Synchros came out and people added all that fun deck jazz.
Admin AccessDenied of SalvationDevelopment

Last edited by Zayelion : 11-11-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Zayelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
DunnoBro
Back Baby!

I like both and would never give up either, but I play DN more simply because it's easier to get in a duel... Though really, aside from being easier to get your foot in the door, DN has nothing over YGOpro.

If the facilities were reversed (DN the download only, and YGOpro the website based) you can bet that DN would be dead in the water.

See: KCVDS
DunnoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
ZodyZappa
Pojo Veteran

Zayelion - Question: What's with the admin on YGOPro, Maximillion? I've noticed him quitting duels and kicking ppl on chat and the users on there really dislike this guy, accusing him of abusing his authority because of minor issues.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Sozin
Tomato

I hate DN for these two reasons: idiots with 54 card decks that don't speak english that think they can seven tools my super poly and the dumb admins that don't do anything but sit in the public chat not doing anything about the people spamming pron links and people saying they need an admin to come in their game. I got myself ip banned on purpose so I can never go on to the stupid site again.
Sozin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
DunnoBro
Back Baby!

Speaking of ip bans, i had several accounts perma banned while using a proxy. I inquired about it several months ago on the forum via appeal system, several times, and still have received no notice. I just wanted a direct yes/no answer if they could be unbanned. And exactly why they were banned, if it was in fact the proxy or if i was accused of boosting. (which would be weird considering all three accounts had less than 400)

The ban appeal system is a joke, the forum is a joke. The people there are EXTREMELY dumb, you think pojo is bad? You haven't seen anything.

I do like watching/being watched on DN though. Was a pain in the ass building my audience back up after my account got banned. Don't really care about getting them unbanned anymore, I've moved on. Just a story to tack on to the lack of faith in the moderator system.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodyZappa View Post
Zayelion - Question: What's with the admin on YGOPro, Maximillion? I've noticed him quitting duels and kicking ppl on chat and the users on there really dislike this guy, accusing him of abusing his authority because of minor issues.
He's an immature know-nothing whom i can only imagine came into power through connections, rather than merit.

Last edited by DunnoBro : 11-17-2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-18-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
Zayelion
YGOPro Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodyZappa View Post
I'm not 100% sure but that whole place is ran by kids with to much money on there hands and Nepoleon complexes. The oldest person is in his late 20s, and most the others being teens or in the 18-22 age group.

The adults and people with college degrees left and are at DevPro. As horrid as it is to deal with these admins, imagine them lording over you when you are completely aware it is your code that people are using, and they are only paying for the servers/chat moding and they some how outrank you.

As far as I know Max is my replacement ( or one of ), so I couldn't tell you much never talked to the guy. Seto wants to feel smart, he is arrogant and narcissistic so he surrounds himself with morons.

Take your pick of the translation, but if you are monothesistic, this should sum it.
http://bible.cc/proverbs/13-20.htm

Additional Comment:

Quote:
He's an immature know-nothing whom i can only imagine came into power through connections, rather than merit.
TDOANE's policy is you have to ask to become an admin, then to get promoted must be suggested by a number of staff. So you end up getting this under the desk **** suck/back stab loop. Seto broke down and directly hired me, and paid me, so I was a top level admin quickly,... putting a target on my back and in opposition to the "bend over it's your turn" thinking.

DevPro works on the Evil Scientist minion policy. If you develop something useful or start adding code, we give you what you need to keep progressing, and you can hire staff and we will do the same thing for them as is needed in comparison to you.

Each Dev has donated a server for all the others to use, our code is public, and we actively contact and speak with key players in the community to branch out and grow our staff.

Half of DevPro's staff are Programmers, 1/4 are tech support and only 1/4 are chat admins, but they have other functions like public relations which requires alot of dedicated work. Each of these people just showed up and started working, no one called them, did an investigation on em, or anything of that sort. They showed up with code, servers, or knowledge and handed them out, we just added the badge to make sure morons listen.

TDOANE has more admins than any other staff, at current I think they have only 2 or 3 staff that serve in a non-chat mod style. Its Managers managing Managers managing Managers, managing 1 programmer, while sitting in long pointless meetings.

They are primary ex DN, while Devpro is mostly ex XC, so the thinking is different. TDOANE wants you to come and bow, that gratifies them. DevPro is focused on the user, making you happy makes us happy. That is why we go to forums, both major and minor and do tech support and inform people.

I wrote the wiki on Cyberdarks, then Synchros came out and people added all that fun deck jazz.

Last edited by Zayelion : 11-18-2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
Tofu cake

I hate to ask but which one is better for someone who has played the ds lite video games in the past and knows the general rules, but not what every card does (like XYZ monsters, etc.) without looking at them?

I loved the way Dual champion (ds) as well as the PSP games ran because I could easy look at an opponent's card description on the field (just in case I didn't know it or wasn't familiar with it,) and it showed what phase it was on/didn't let me draw outside of my draw phase (unless it was a specific card, etc.)

But with DN its confusing; there wasn't a manual, making a deck was easy but I had to use Youtube to figure out how to add people and play duals, I didn't understand the numbers at all, the chat was full of spammers and people talking about **** (and trolls, so I couldn't take them seriously,) and I had to do everything manually as if it was a real dual, which wouldn't be a problem if it was a real dual. But on the computer it was kind of slow due to my connection and the fact that I couldn't see card descriptions at all.

My first dual was sadly, frustrating, embarrassing, and while I didn't ragequit, I felt bad for the person who had to put up with me acting like a noob (when in fact I knew the game and my deck.) I'm hesitant to play Pro now too from what OP said, since it seems similar to DN outside of the downloading.

Question: Should I bother? Should I try to do this again? I don't want to memorize 100+ cards and what they do or have anyone else go through this thinking I'm a scrub due to their lack of understanding or empathy complex.
Tofu cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Regiruler
Expensive

My biggest beef with DN is that some cards are literally unplayable on it, such as Convulsion of Nature and Exchange.
Regiruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
Zayelion
YGOPro Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu cake View Post
I hate to ask but which one is better for someone who has played the ds lite video games in the past and knows the general rules, but not what every card does (like XYZ monsters, etc.) without looking at them?

I loved the way Dual champion (ds) as well as the PSP games ran because I could easy look at an opponent's card description on the field (just in case I didn't know it or wasn't familiar with it,) and it showed what phase it was on/didn't let me draw outside of my draw phase (unless it was a specific card, etc.)

But with DN its confusing; there wasn't a manual, making a deck was easy but I had to use Youtube to figure out how to add people and play duals, I didn't understand the numbers at all, the chat was full of spammers and people talking about **** (and trolls, so I couldn't take them seriously,) and I had to do everything manually as if it was a real dual, which wouldn't be a problem if it was a real dual. But on the computer it was kind of slow due to my connection and the fact that I couldn't see card descriptions at all.

My first dual was sadly, frustrating, embarrassing, and while I didn't ragequit, I felt bad for the person who had to put up with me acting like a noob (when in fact I knew the game and my deck.) I'm hesitant to play Pro now too from what OP said, since it seems similar to DN outside of the downloading.

Question: Should I bother? Should I try to do this again? I don't want to memorize 100+ cards and what they do or have anyone else go through this thinking I'm a scrub due to their lack of understanding or empathy complex.
ygopro, on DN you are gonna get rulesharked.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
the_daddy

I been using devpro version for a couple of weeks now but today i decided to have a go on DN my god it was bad in comparison the game moved so slowly having to explain card effects (someone flippes morphing jar while skill drain was face up and thought the jar worked) even just tryin to get a game was drawn out thanks to me having a fairly low rating around the 300 mark. I will NEVER go back to DN while this is available ygopro just so much better

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
the_daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #16
Explodium
Salty

Fix replays YGOPro!
Explodium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
Zayelion
YGOPro Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explodium View Post
Fix replays YGOPro!
My god we are working on it! I can give you something to watch the replays in correctly but the Percival features will be gone. No sound, no fullscreen.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
Redsmas
Let It Go

How about the fact that yugiohpro is slow as hell. Or at least every person (or their internet) I play is slow.

Some people still have download limits so I suppose DN is good for that. And DN is (as far as I know) compatible with anything that has flash.

I'm officially boycotting any products made in Russia.
Reason 1 2 3 4

(Click links with caution some may be disturbed by the images)

Redsmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
Zayelion
YGOPro Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsmas View Post
How about the fact that yugiohpro is slow as hell. Or at least every person (or their internet) I play is slow.

Some people still have download limits so I suppose DN is good for that. And DN is (as far as I know) compatible with anything that has flash.
YGOPro is not slow, its just not. You can play 4 singles in the time it takes to play a single on DN. You are right about the download time, at near 300MB it takes a bit, for that first download.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
Redsmas
Let It Go

It is seriously slow. In the time it takes for someone to set a card in YGOPro I can finish my turn on DN. The main problem is most people using slow internet connections and YGOPro seems to have to "load" after each action you do.

Additional Comment:

In single player and lan modes its fine.

I'm officially boycotting any products made in Russia.
Reason 1 2 3 4

(Click links with caution some may be disturbed by the images)

Last edited by Redsmas : 12-09-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Redsmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
Zayelion
YGOPro Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsmas View Post
It is seriously slow. In the time it takes for someone to set a card in YGOPro I can finish my turn on DN. The main problem is most people using slow internet connections and YGOPro seems to have to "load" after each action you do.

Additional Comment:

In single player and lan modes its fine.
What server are you dueling on when it is slow?

Old 12-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #22
DunnoBro
Back Baby!

Of all the things Dn has over YGOpro, speed is definitely not one of them.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #23
Zayelion
YGOPro Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunnoBro View Post
Of all the things Dn has over YGOpro, speed is definitely not one of them.
Which server are you guys dueling on where speed is an issue? Definitely not the devpro server.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #24
DunnoBro
Back Baby!

I'm not having a speed issue, I was saying YGOpro is definitely worlds faster than DN.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #25
Zayelion
YGOPro Programmer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8kbl4n1Q9A you are calling this slow in comparision to DN? what is wrong with you?