Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG "Advanced" Deck Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
ReyRey

ReyRey is on a distinguished road
Default Prophecy deck!

Hey guys, this is a prophecy build I made recently. Having lots of fun playing it. I don't think prophecies have the potential to be tier 1 unless more support is released, and I'm not pulling off massive combos and destroying the 1300 ratings on dueling network like I am with wind-ups, but so far the deck's very fun to play and quite powerful if it gets going. Sharing this deck list but it's worked out fairly well for me so far, and looking for advice and suggestions on how to make the deck faster and more consistent.

The star of the deck is obviously High Priestess of Prophecy. At 2500 attack it goes toe to toe with many boss monsters, and it's once per turn destruction effect is a constant +1. In a nutshell, the deck aims to bring her out as soon as possible, protect her with Spellbook of Wisdom, and fill the grave with spellbooks to fuel her effect.

Deck: http://i.imgur.com/OV1DE.png
1 Breaker the Magical Warrior
1 Gorz, the emissary of darkness
1 hanged man of prophecy
3 High Priestess of Prophecy
1 justice of prophecy
2 maxx C
3 Spellbook Magician of Prophecy
3 Temperance of Prophecy

1 Dark Hole
1 Heavy Storm
1 Monster Reborn
2 duality
1 spellbook of alma
2 Spellbook of Life
3 Spellbook of Power
3 Spellbook of Secrets
2 Spellbook of Wisdom
1 spellbook tower of prophecy
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Dimensional Prison
1 Compulsory Evacuation Device
1 solemn judgement
2 Solemn Warning

So there you have it ^^. Still looking to perfect the spellbook count and ratios.
Some random thoughts about why I added and didn't add some things.
-Tower of prophecy. This card isn't bad imo, but it's not amazing either. A free draw every turn is awesome, but it can be dead early game since it requires both a spellcaster and another spellbook in your grave. It can only be used during your standby phase, meaning you have to wait a turn before you see any Return on it, making it rather slow. Still, the free draw every turn is amazing if you're set up, and if it's MSTed you can, at worst summon hanged man of prophecy and get a free search. With 3 Spellbook of Secrets, I felt 1 was Appropriate for the deck, but more wasnt needed.

- Apprentice Magician. Too slow imo. It's essentially a searcher than searchers another searcher...and it needs to be destroyed by battle. No thanks

- Justice of prophecy. Another good card, but I kept it at 1 because it eats up a normal summon, requires a spellbook to work, and has an effect that activates in the end phase. Still the +1 is nice.

- Traps. Prophecies tend to run few traps, which is understandable because the deck moves quickly and thins incredibly fast with the spellbooks. I've seen some builds that choose to run 1, 2, or sometimes no traps. I play more traps for 2 reasons. One is that I like traps in general. The second is the existence of Naturia Beast and thunder king, the latter of which is very prevalent in this meta. Thunder king can severely slow the deck down, and Naturia Beast outright cripples it. I wanted to make sure I have outs to those 2 cards, and in general have ways to stall if I draw poorly. No Torrential Tribute simply because the deck has a hard time re-establishing field presence, so it makes no sense to play 2 cards that blow it up.

The sides pretty standard. Rivalry of Warlords is amazing against wind-ups. High priestess destroys backrow so 3 MST felt a little unnecessary. Still haven't tested against a malefic / Skill Drain type deck, so my mind might change when I do. Also curious how Secret Village of the Spellcasters might do against certain decks.
So yea, decent prophecy build for you netdeckers (hovering around 1200 rating on DN with it. help / fixes / discussion would be very appreciated ^^

Additional Comment:

Also, extras terrible. Spellbook of Life can make rank 5s, so I added some rank 5s in there for extra outs. You'll hardly ever use the extra deck though, which is why I didn't list it or give any explanation. Just add some generic rank 3s, 7s, and 5s that suit your taste.

Last edited by ReyRey : 10-18-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
ReyRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
LinkKiller
Sorcerer

LinkKiller is on a distinguished road

In you desciprion section I think you mean Justice of Prophecy instead of "Temerance of prophecy"
What are your reasoning for not using:
Tragoedia
Veiler
Wonder Wand
Book of Moon

Also instead of lucky straight put... well anything actually useful. xD Any scenario you could summon him in it would be better to keep the 3 level 7s on the field, even a second Big Eye would be a lot more helpful than it.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
LastPancake

LastPancake is on a distinguished road

Unless I missed it, since ur not running strength if imagine ur gonna want the field spell live most of the time to recycle since these guys fire the spellbooks out like mad but in that case gorz is dead most of the time, I'd take that out for something else, maybe trag or even a Gagaga Magician, also personally I'd side the 2 maxx c and main 2 veilers their more useful for more decks +give access to synchros in a pinch
LastPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
ReyRey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkKiller View Post
In you desciprion section I think you mean Justice of Prophecy instead of "Temerance of prophecy"
What are your reasoning for not using:
Tragoedia
Veiler
Wonder Wand
Book of Moon

Also instead of lucky straight put... well anything actually useful. xD Any scenario you could summon him in it would be better to keep the 3 level 7s on the field, even a second Big Eye would be a lot more helpful than it.
Yes I did thanks for catching that. I don't feel the deck needs Tragoedia. I almost never synchro or xyzy, my hand size generally isn't big and I run enough traps to not worry about being OTKed, which is what Tragoedia is usually run to avoid. I could consider siding it for hieratics and stuff I guess but I don't see why it would warrant a main deck slot.

Veiler I personally don't like. Inherent -1 unless I remove the veilered monster next turn, which is less likely in a trap heavy format, dead vs heros and dark worlds, meh vs gergias and machinas and stuff. I havent had a problem with having no spellcasters in my grave for Book of Life and tower of prophecy.

I considered Wonder Wand, but with only 4 targets it didn't seem necessary.

Book of Moon is another preference card. Again, problem I have with it is that like veiler, it doesn't remove the target so unless I crash into it next turn it's a -1. If you look at recent competitive deck lists you'll notice a lot of people have cut Book of Moon this format. I play it in a lot of builds, but with few slots in my deck dedicated to backrow disruption I felt there were better choices.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastPancake View Post
Unless I missed it, since ur not running strength if imagine ur gonna want the field spell live most of the time to recycle since these guys fire the spellbooks out like mad but in that case gorz is dead most of the time, I'd take that out for something else, maybe trag or even a Gagaga Magician, also personally I'd side the 2 maxx c and main 2 veilers their more useful for more decks +give access to synchros in a pinch
I haven't had any games where I've run out of spellbooks. The deck moves pretty fast, and if anything I search for book of secrets and alma as much as possible to thin the deck and hit my traps faster.

As for Strength of Prophecy, it's really bad

Last edited by ReyRey : 10-18-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
LastPancake

LastPancake is on a distinguished road

Without strength or the tower I don't see how u wouldn't run out of spellbook a but as u run the tower in assuming that's why u don't but with the tower out gorz is dead if ye get me?

Also I love strength I run 3 though that'll drop down at least 1 when ABYR comes out, level boost, permanent attack boost and spellbook recycling, I don't get what's bad? :/
LastPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
ReyRey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastPancake View Post
Without strength or the tower I don't see how u wouldn't run out of spellbook a but as u run the tower in assuming that's why u don't but with the tower out gorz is dead if ye get me?

Also I love strength I run 3 though that'll drop down at least 1 when ABYR comes out, level boost, permanent attack boost and spellbook recycling, I don't get what's bad? :/
Recycling a spellbook to draw 1 card or banishing one to destroy a card are both way better effects than a 500 attack boost. Its not a good effect and its a waste of a normal summon that i could use on temperance to bring out a priestess or breaker to thin my opponents backrow. If im playing vs an explosive deck its too slow, and if im playing vs a passive deck with backrow then its still bad and il be wishing i had an earlier priestess.

As for recycling spellbooks, like i said, i havent had a problem with running out and either way tower is way better. If it gets msted then i summon hanged man and get a +1

Additional Comment:

bump10char

Additional Comment:

bump10char

Last edited by ReyRey : 10-19-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Crucify
Don't Look Down.

Crucify will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyRey View Post
Veiler I personally don't like. Inherent -1
This just earned a spot in my signature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obnixilis View Post
Battle Fader: Negated by Skill Drain...

Crucify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
ReyRey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revives View Post
This just earned a spot in my signature.
?? Not sure if serious or mocking