Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Strategies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
BossLofton
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indina
Posts: 43
iTrader: 0
Default Yugioh 101 - How and WHAT to side 2012-2013 Format

My name is Chris James, I go by CJ, or BossLofton (WWW.Youtube.com/BossLofton) <-- obvious Youtube channel. Check it out, im an Avid HERO player, if anyone is interested in that for right now.

A little about me. I've been playing for a solid 7, 8 years off and on now. I just came back from a year long break without playing in any event since YCS Columbus in 2011. My first event back I tested at the Louisville Regional on Sept. 15, 2012 with HEROs, to decide on how I would play them at YCS Indianapolis the following weak. So with one Event under my belt since my Return, I managed to get 16th and found a build i was comfortable with.

Since I LIVE in Indiana, I was attending the YCS myself. I managed to Day 2, and also top 32, and continue with top 16'ing the event. So, first major event back I got to put a top under my belt, I felt like I didnt lose any "steam" throughout the year I was away. I was the ONLY HERO player to even top 32 the event so I felt like I was able to make solid plays throughout the event and press on with a solid HERO build. I have an in depth hero discussion video on why I played what I played if any HERO, or any player, is interested in actually. But, lets move on

This thread is going to focus on key side decking, understanding why some decks are on the rise, what ways to counter decks, and how to make smart choices while test playing.

Lets get started with the popular and rouge decks of the format, and we'll go on to popular side deck cards.

Popular decks
-----------------
1) Wind-Ups
2) Dark Worlds
3) Rabbit
4) HEROs
5) Hieratic (Thanks Parker...)
6) Geargia/Machina
7) Chaos Dragons

Rogue Decks
-----------------
1) Inzektors
2) GraveKeepers
3) Plants
4) Geartown
5) Burn
Edited:
6) Agents
7) Six samurais
8) Lavals


Now that you've been able to see what you will most LIKELY see in an event, lets go over the most important part of the game; Side Decking

Side Decking
------------------
For some reason people tend to forget an extra 15 cards to give you a chance to stop what stops YOU exists. I see people randomly just putting cards in a side deck because they just simply don't know. The BEST way to start figuring out a side deck viable for YOU and YOUR play style, and has worked well for me, play a BUNCH of game 1s. Even allow friends to side against you while you keep your main deck the same. This allows you to see what people are willing to side against your deck to try to counter you. Then you can work from there.
- Ill give a quick example. In my top 16 match that I lost to Chaos Dragons, I tried to think about, what will he be putting in to stop ME. I look at my trap line up in my main deck and come to the conclusion it's pretty solid against Chaos Dragons. And I think he knew that. If you dont know, Chaos Dragons (or MAJORITY of HIGH milling decks) lack a strong, or any trap line up for that matter. So, they won't be crippled by siding in Royal Decree. If my opponent was to get a Royal Decree off on me, he would cripple 13 cards out of 41 in my deck, while plummeting me with Boss monsters. So, as a common rule, especially since playing in the Frog format, people would side out Mst's G2 and G3 because they didn't think they would be hitting anything. So naturally, I decided to leave my Mst's in, for fear of the Royal Decree. Did i draw my MST's when he flipped Royal Decree G3 turn 1? No, i did not. But that just means I didn't draw my cards I needed at the time. It doesn't make me taking a card out that would have legitamately win the game a bad strategist. It just means it wasn't my time to win the match.
- Understanding what will stop YOUR deck is the BEST way to start building your side deck. Of course there are some "staples" you might want to consider for a large sized tournament. For example. Since wind ups were and have been HUGE, your chances of NOT playing a wind up in 8-12 rounds of swiss is almost unheard of. So why not throw a couple of cards in your side to already give you an edge on a highly sacky, but skillful deck. Lets get in to what cards stop some of the most popular decks out there, and even some of the viable rouge decks

Lets cover wind-ups first
-----------------------------
Wind ups are known to put 4-5 monsters on the board, by simply having 2 cards. Turn 1 it can be very hard to overcome. But there are some options.
1) Needle Ceiling - I would ONLY recommend this card IF you are playing a deck that does NOT run the same Attribute/type of monsters. Such as HEROS (Warriors for types) and Dark worlds (Dark for attributes) Needle Ceiling is REALLY only SUPPOSE to be good against Wind ups and MAYBE six Samurais. Also, with the wording of Needle Ceiling, it "DESTROYS" cards on the field. Cards such as Gozen Match and Rivalry of Warlords are great alternatives if you play same type/attribute decks.
2) Maxx "C"/ Effect Veiler - While playing against 4 Wind-ups at YCS Indy, I found Maxx "C" Subpar. Meaning, I wish I had veiler all the time.. Now, this combos with understanding your deck. I myself PREFERED Veiler over Maxx "C" (Yet I didnt play ANY veilers for some reason..) because I do not run Gorz/Trag. When i would Maxx "C" I wouldn't actually be drawing into something to stop my opponent from pushing through Maxx "C" I would draw 30 cards if my opponent let me, but the truth is, I would never see Gorz/Trag, and I would still lose. By switching out a Maxx C for Effect Veiler, I would be able to stop their combo. Sure, your opponent might stop special summoning because they don't want you to draw cards. But there are players out there that realize SOME decks DO NOT PLAY Trag and Gorz. Try to incorporate Maxx C OR Veiler this format, maybe even 1 and 1 in the main and 1 and 1 in the side. But quite honestly, I feel like Veiler does more work for everyone than Maxx C does. AT THIS POINT IN TIME.
3) Skill Drain - If you're playing a deck that doesn't really need your effects on the field to generate advantage, Skill Drain would be a great alternative for you. They can have all the Monster Slots filled, but if they're staring down a Grapha with 3000 attack and a Skill Drain, the only thing that's going to get over that is an Acid Golem. Which, a lot of people are NOT playing now, mostly because Rank 3 is the most POPULAR played Exceed. And TemTempo is the instant counter to Acid golem. So a lot of players are just deciding not to play Acid golem at all anymore. Of course, this doesnt JUST apply to dark worlds, it can work really with HEROs, and Geartown.dek or something with abnormally high monster attack cards, and even floaters (obviously not field effect monsters such as gadgets)

Dino Rabbit
------------------
Dino Rabbit is ALMOST countered by itself. And im not talking about a mirror match, but Im talking about the lack of a 3rd rabbit and a 3rd Tourguide. In "theory" it really doesn't seem like a huge hit, but Dino Rabbit not having those 2 cards slowed the deck down a lot. But, if you are having trouble with Dino Rabbit, hopefully some of these side deck choices can help you with your G2 and G3. But let's first try and understand the monster line up in this format for a good amount of Dino Rabbits
- Rabbit plays 6 Vanilla beaters, 3 1700s, and 3 1900s, duh. So if all else fails for them, they can just start slowly beating you down. On top of that, they now play Guibas, another 1700, on top of 2 to 3 Forbidden Lance. The deck can get tricky on you very fast if you don't try to understand what your opponent is really pushing for. So, 9 of their monsters are affected by Bottomless Trap Hole alone. And in all honesty, their biggest Main deck threats. If you aren't maining 2 Bottomless (which in my opinion, almost every deck should be) Siding this card will greatly increase your chances of saving some life points. Granted, them running multiple Forbidden Lance can counteract a bottomless, but you also have to take in fact, their play maker; Rescue Rabitt. Rescue Rabbit brings out the vanillas (duh) and simply playing 1 Bottomless already leaves them 1 Rabbit left in deck, and 1 more set of vanillas to grab. Im getting a little off topic so lets move on to what I think key side deck cards would be for this specific deck
1) As mentioned in detail earlier, Bottomless Trap Hole
2) Gozen Match - Gozen Match works great because they cant overlay into their power cards like Dolka and Laggia. It pretty much just turns in to vanilla beat down for them if this card is and STAYS on the field. Rivalry is also an option, but only because Rabbit can NOT pull ANY vanilla from that deck while rivalry is face up. Rabitt can pull 2 Sabersauras if Gozen is up, however, they cant overlay. If your deck has to side Rivalrys and can't do gozens, I would still side the Rivalrys.
3) Back row destruction - Rabbit plays a high amount of back rows. If you aren't maining 3 MST, and you're siding at least one, this is definitely a match up you should side a 2nd/3rd mst in to. If you have extra back row destruction such as Dust Tornado, those wouldnt even be a bad choice.

Dark worlds
------------------
I dont REALLY want to go in to TOO much detail with darkworlds, mostly because they're simple to side deck against. Ill explain the simple mechanic of Dark worlds then ill just state some obvious choices, that can also DOUBLE for good choices in the side deck, because they might help you against other decks as well.
- Dark worlds discard their cards from their hand, MAINTAIN advantage and even PLUS off of their monster effects that activate in the GRAVEYARD. At the same time, they are widdling down your hand and field by comboing with Grapha's to destroy your monsters/spells/traps on the field. How to counter these sneaky plays? Simple
1) Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror/Macro Cosmos/Dimensional Fissure - It's pretty simple here. Shadow Mirror prevents dark monsters effects from activating on the field or graveyard. Therefore, they discard Dark worlds, they generate no plusses from their Dark world effects. Macro Cosmos AND D fissure are also great choices. But understanding what one YOUR deck should be siding in to is key. If you're playing a deck that can be easily shut down by effect veilers/Maxx C's or hand traps in general, D fissure is your card. You want to be able to Play D fissure during your turn, then go off without having to fear the Veiler/Maxx "C". Those cards can not be sent to the graveyard while D fissure/Macro are on the board, so playing your spell card D fissure that you dont have to wait a turn to play, then going off is more beneficial for you. Thats IF you're playing a deck that CAN go off in just 1 turn no problem. Macro Cosmos would be more to bait the dark worlds and slow play them. Granted, once D fissure OR Macro are face up, its still the same card effect (to an extent, Macro sends ALL cards to the removed, while D fissure only does monsters) But if you're able to play a grind game and wait for them to activate a Dealings/Gates/Card Destruction, etc. You can catch them off guard more than the already obvious face up D fissure.

HEROs
-------------
After playing HEROs for a while, ive come to the conslusion, its NOT an easy deck to side against. People generally try siding Thunder King Rai-Oh's on me but I dont ever find them to be too big of a threat. With the 1900 Alius', the Sparks, the miracle fusions, etc. Cyber Dragons also dont do too much especially if your HERO opponent is playing a trap heavy HERO deck (like they should be). You'll be finding double bottomless, a few D prisons, and some staple warnings all throughout the match. My BEST suggestion when playing AGAINST HEROs is what you side OUT. I do also have some solid side IN cards for you as well don't worry, but its definitely more important to pay attention to what you are siding out.

Siding OUT - Solemn Warnings/Maxx "C"/ Effect Veiler - If you have ANY of these cards in your main deck when playing G2 and or G3 against HEROs, you're WRONG. I PRAY half of my monsters get solemn warninged when Im playing HEROs. A strategic HERO player will most likely actually spending the entire game trying to "bait" you to use your back row. And, it's almost impossible to read too. There are a couple of times my opponent Warninged my Alius because they were afraid of the spark. Well, I didnt have a spark, I had a Miracle Fusion. And there are a couple times where they saved their warnings, and they got Alius-sparked for a plus 1, then took 2000 LPs by negating my Miracle Fusion. Yeah it's cool you stopped a heavy hitter from dropping on the board, but HEROs play 3 Power cards; Miracle Fusion. Not only did you put yourself in dangerous territory because of the Excals/Blade armors, but you allowed them to +1 in the process.
As far as Maxx "C" and veiler go, i feel like they're extremely self explanitory. Maxx "C" can sometimes trade for a plus 1, but HERO players dont HAVE to keep going like some decks do. They can just end their combo and still be sitting there with a 1900 beater and back row. Veiler, only stops the stratos, the Excal and the Blade armor (and Papa I guess, and Maestroke) But definitely only hits ONE card in the main deck. Card for card, its unreliable.

Siding IN - Kinetic Soldiers/Snowman Eater/Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer/Compuls. Evac Device - l like being able to play a deck that requires heavy thinking to "properly" side for. But, there are some cards that completely shut us down. Kinetics become an instant 3350. Most shinings are generally going to get to 3200, 3500 rarely, and 3800 is the HIGHEST ive seen. And that was only once. So, majority of the time Kinetic Soldier will run over anything in the deck, except Thunder Kings and Excaliburs But that's where your snowman eaters come in. Self explanitory really. They're either going to know its a snowman after you havent flipped it for turn after turn and spark it away, or they're going to run in to it and lose a T king/Alius. I advise Using Snowman Eater to get rid of Alius' and D prisons/Bottomless to get rid of T kings/fusions. KYCOO. Just recently I remembered how good this card is and I am actually siding this card myself now. It's a solid 1800 beater, which doesn't seem too good because all heros play are 1800+ hitters really, unless they're playing Bubble beats *whistles harmlessly* But, you have to remember, HEROs play somewhat of a lower monster count, so the chances of you being able to "get in there" for some damage with a kycoo is highly likely. So that means, 2 free removals for you, on your opponents graveyard. Use your imagination there. But, my favorite part of the card is, if you have back row supporting the Alius/T king assaults, your opponent can NOT remove cards from THEIR GRAVEYARD. Meaning, no Miracle fusions for them. Very solid card for this match up in many ways. And on to the most annoying card that ANYONE can play on me.. Compulsary Evacuation device.. They just get to bounce my shining back.. and I dont get my plus. They can just sit on it forever, I dont have to attack in to a D prison, they just have it. And it really ruins a HEROs match more than you think.


Hieratics (Thanks Parker..)
---------------
So I myself don't think the deck is good on pen and paper. But man, this deck will surprise the hell out of you if you don't understand what it CAN do. The best counter to the deck would be to actually udnerstand what the cards do themselves. I suggest if you do NOT know what they do, further educating yourself on this archtype will solve a lot of simple solutions. But, lets try to sum it up the best way I know how.
- Stop their first and possibly second summon, and you should be fine. Easily said, harder to do. Mostly because of the massive BACKROW hate the deck plays. So at the same time they will be popping your back rows then just plumet over the field and OTK you. And they WILL push through Maxx "C" and they WILL win. But lets try to focus on some cards that can stop Heiratics, assuming they DONT open multiple back row destruction
1) Light Imprisoning Mirror - This card works the same as Shadow Imprisoning mirror as listed earlier in the Dark world section, but of course, its for the light attribute. All the Hieratics are LIGHT/DRAGONS. So, sorry. Rivalry/Gozen won't help with this match up :/ All of the Hieratics either activate on field, or activate/resolve in grave (I'm not 100% positive myself on the grave, but Im almost POSITIVE Light stops their effects when the Heiratics are tributed) But in all reality, they won't be doing any tributing if you have a Light mirror on the board anyway
2) Mask of Restrict - Maybe an old look back at older sets will find you some luck. This card simple says, No tributes under any circumstance. So, again, another continuous trap card that shuts down Hieratics. But, don't forget, they play their back row destruction, so you have to get rid of their LPs, before they get rid of your restrict, or they will win.

In all honesty, this deck can get around a lot, and I myself don't think I can think of a deck that will always beat this deck, mostly because of how sacky it can be.

Geargia/Machina Variants
------------------------------
I honestly don't find this deck to be very fast or really a threat, if you can avoid the Fortresses. Of course floaters are beyodn annoying, and with a monster that can tribute itself to put their biggest annoyance on the board instantly, it CAN get frustrating. The idea of the deck is to add Geargias to the hand with a GeargiaArmor that can flip down once per turn, and has a 1900 Def. So, it can generate plusses pretty fast. But luckily, there are PLENT of side deck options for the Machine Archtype
1) System Down/Cyber Dragon - duh and DUH. I myself PREFER System Down. Only because if they do have the face down Geargia Armor, and you are able to drop Cyber Dragon down, yeah you can kill off the armor. But don't forget they're able to search a Geargia from their deck from you flipping the armor face up. Which means next turn, they just have to set whatever they searched, and contact away. So, that's somewhat of an annoyance to me. Paying the 1000 to remove a fat grave is pretty nice. Even if they are sitting on an armor, they're going to get their search during their turn anyway, so why not just run in to the armor, let them search, then play the System Down. Problem solved. That combo works even better with a Thunder King Rai-Oh though, which ill touch lightly on here in a minute
2) Skill Drain/Nobleman of Crossout - Keep in mind, GeargiaArmor is NOT a flip effect. So cross outting one will NOT remove them all from the deck, but it WILL take one out of the game, buying you some time to draw in to a bottomless (to stop their Tributer to search another) or warning. Skill Drain won't remove a 1900 wall but it will make their deck 100% Useless. Their Accelerator adds a card from their grave to the hand when its sent from the grave from the field, but other than that, they can be totally shut down with a single Skill Drain
3) Thunder King Rai-Oh - I have NOT been saying this is a good side card throughout this whole discussion for a reason.. mostly because it's the best side deck card for virtually every deck, and it would be annoying to just keep seeing it over and over. And for the most part, every deck should be MAINING at least TWO of this card right now. But against his deck especially, Thunder king excels the most. Not only can they not search off of armor, if they decide to make a play to Force T king off the board, they'll do soem BS play to just get over it. GearGia HAS to get rid of thunder kings on the board or they CANT do what the deck needs to do. simply said, Thunder King alone can win the match against GearGias.

Chaos Dragons
-------------------
And finally, Chaos Dragons. A deck that got really big last format I guess, But I wasnt able to be here last format, so i actually have only played a total of... ONE match against them and that was my top 16 at YCS Indy. But, i tried to use common sense and thought of it as a normal Chaos deck, with.. Light Pulsar. So I didn't really have a great side for them, but I did look for some cards that could possibly do some work. The best thing I can suggest would be, removal cards.
1) Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer/Macro Cosmos/Dimensional Fissure - All acceptable cards and Ill explain Kycoo the most. Most of the chaos Drags play their Tripple lyla Double Trooper Tripple Rykoo for their once per turn summon monsters. ALL under 1800, easy for Kycoo to poke for dmg on and to Proc his effect to remove from the grave. Downside would be, During THEIR turn, they can easily run it over with Trooper, and even just set a ryko. So, not a 10/10 card, but it will put the deck back a couple of turns. Also, them not being able to remove from play helps a lot. The Macro and D fissure are pretty common sense. No graveyard means no big plays. But, then you have to worry about the Tripple Lyla, Tripple Ryko and Tripply Mst + Storm. So, back rows arent really TOO big of a threat for them to overcome. It's just another deck that, you have to literally "beat before they beat you" and I know that sounds a little cliche, but the longer the game goes on, the easier it is for them to drop the boss monsters and just push through anything. Its a rough match up no doubt, but slowing the deck down is the best a lot of players can do.
2) Grave of the Super Ancient Organism - After losing to Chaos Dragons in top 16 at YCS Indy I realized, I needed to have a stronger side deck for chaos dragons alone. Skill Drain didnt really cut it, mostly because Decree was on the board.. but thats beside the point. GotSAO reads, "All face up lvl 6 or higher special summoned monsters cannot declare an attack or activate their effects." So, not a 100% lock down card because they are playing the Lylas/Rykos/Msts/Decree etc, but, if you get the card off it will be able to buy you some time. Keep in mind, they can exceed around the card to start doing Dmg to you.Which brings me to another card that can potentially slow the deck down.
3) Messenger of Peace - Simple continuous spell (I shouldn't have to remind you of the infinite back row destruction they have so.. use your imagination please) that allows you to pay 100 Lp per standby phase and NO monster with 1500 attack can declare an attack. So, this does stop their Exceeds as well. But, again.. playing against Chaos drags is just a ticking time bomb until they load up their grave.


So we analyzed 7 of the most played decks and we can start to begin building a solid side deck for majority of decks. Another thing to look at are the rouge decks. Luckily for the player base, the advantage of siding for higher tier decks can also double for the rouge decks. Lets look at that now. Don't think you do NOT have a side deck for a deck, simply because you didn't think about EEEEVERY deck that can be played in Yugioh. You'll be very surprised on what overlaps to save your ass at times.

Rogue Decks
----------------
1) Inzektors/Gravekeepers Lets lump these together because of one simple card I feel everyone should always be siding; Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror. I personally feel the Dark attribute will always be a strong attribute and I never want to play in a tournament where I have to play one of the strong "rouge" decks ( I really dont have to worry about that concept because S.I.M. is in my side for Dark worlds mostly..) and not have a solution. Since Gk's work off of slowly plussing off of recruiter and spy combos, a simple S.I.M. will put them on the same level as you in a heart beat. Along with Inzektors, they're almost stuck with nothing to do. There's no need to side Skill drains for any of these decks either, thats the best part. If you ARE siding the extra Mst/Tornados, those can easily go in for the rouge match up of Gks. And right there, you have 2-4 cards for an unexpected deck for the day. While at the same time, being prepared for higher fast rolling Tier decks. Did I mention the Nobleman of Crossout for Geargias instantly became useful for Gks?

2) Plants have died off a lot since the bashing they took a couple of ban lists ago. Which.. I want to say is a shame, but that deck needed what it got. But with some recent come backs of the deck you have to be aware if your side isnt properly prepared, then you could find yourself down some advantage. Those Maxx "C"s and Skill Drains, and gozen/Rivalrys you sided for higher tier decks suddenly become actively effective during this match up.

3) Geartown.Dek is a very annoying deck that myself decided to try to slow down. And surprisingly enough after a match with the deck (while i played HEROs of course) I got to play Grave of the Super Ancient Organism on them. To their surprise, they looked at me and literally said, "My deck can not do anything to you then, until I draw an Mst" That was enough to sell me on the idea of THAT card. I personally like the card more than some players I guess, because HEROs have a weak match up against decks that can just put boss monsters on the field for no reason. So, I HAVE to slow them down for me to keep up with them, and that was a card to do that. Of course other cards WILL work as well on it, such as some previously stated Bottomless Trap Holes, and some Dimensional Prisons. But for most decks, Geartown.dek isnt THAT big of a threat. Just very surprising and has limiter you have to hope they never have.

4) Burn, finally, the last deck to talk about. I find my friends losing to burn all the time and it's actually getting pretty serious. There's always a couple of these roaming around the top tables because people aren't properly prepared to see this match up. Well, to be honest, if you're going to an event, you're hoping to do well. And most burn decks do well because people dont properly prepare for them. I did not mention this card earlier but I know a lot of players side this card (Especially Chaos Dragons) Royal Decree will put in great work against burn decks, as long as you are able to draw it before you hit 0 LPs. It's really a card they have no outs to, other than the MSTs they play, and they SHOULD be siding in to trap eaters, to avoid what counters them. But other than that, you flip that bad boy up and you're solid.

Edited:

5) Agents are still lingering around. They do actually have their very own Stratos, which is at 2.. which is annoying and frustrating being a HERO player, but I digress. The main "play" of the deck is actually Venus in to shine balls in to gachis/stall wall. That play right there can generate enough time for them to be able to draw in to their Boss monster; Hyperion. Once Hyperion drops on the board, they start pulling apart your field. How to counter the deck you ask? Well, most main deck options are great, such as D prison (I know Hyperion can blow back row up, but remember, its not 100% they will ALWAYS get the right one) Bottomless Trap Hole (better choice simply because there's no more priority). Maxx C I like better than veiler for this match up I think. If you wait for the 2nd time Venus uses her effect to bring out a new shine ball THEN Maxx c, theyre either stuck losing a shine ball or the venus next turn. OR, you +1 off Maxx "C" because they'll go in to gachi. Don't forget the surprise BLS they play and can flop down if you aren't paying attention throughout game. A better way to avoid that you ask? Remember when i mentioned Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer? Well here's probably the best time to side him in. For the Agent match up. You can easily avoid Kristyas and the BLS AND most of the time Hyperion. The best part is, with a Kycoo on board your opponent will have to remove from play an agent from HAND then drop Hyperion. And on top of that, they cant remove fairies from play to blow up back row. So if you're sitting on a D prison, now its time to shine! Also take note, Gozen Match would NOT be an effective card against the deck, nor would Rivalry. Rivarly would better though, because it could stop the dark engine AND BLS from coming out, but a mediocre card at best.

6) Six Samurais. Ah.. they had their time to shine when Gateway was at 3 and their smoke signal was at 3. Now, the deck has lost turn 1 speed. For the most part. Sure they can still go turn 1 shien, but the most frustrating part about Sams was when you got rid of turn 1 shien, using 2 for 1s and then next turn they just drop another one. Good thing for us that can't happen anymore (unless you compulse it like an idiot...) Understanding how chains work is the best way to counter the deck, as Shien is their power play of the deck. Double D prison on the attack, Mirror Force into D prison on the attack, both work well to get rid of that shien. But enough of how to play against the deck, lets talk about side deck options. As being a "type" deck, meaning theyre all warriors, take a look at their attributes. They're all different, so Gozen Match shuts them down pretty damn hard. Kinetic Soldier gets in there on them as well. 3350 is hard for Sams to get around. (something else Id like to mention. Colossal Fighter pretty much auto wins on them as well) Thunder King Rai-Oh puts in work because the only way they can main deck get over it (by straight up attacking) is a Grandmaster. But, don't rely on that because Gate of the Six Samurai does have an attack boosting effect that will sneak up on you and just topple over the Thunder King at times. My opinion on Maxx C vs Effect Veiler is simply this. If turn 1 I open Maxx C instead of veiler, and theyre going first. What if they first turn shien me? And all i did was drop a maxx c.. and draw 1 extra card. Im still staring down a card that most of the time requires 2 cards to get rid of. That just makes my plus i just made Null and Void.. Now lets look at Effect Veiler. I drop veiler when they drop Kageki.. Well, cool. Now im staring at a 200 atk position kageki that 95% of the monsters in this game can get over. The only thing that can stop me from running over it is some back row. But you forget, its your turn now and its your turn to set some back row to counter their next turn shien play. Think about it.

So a quick recap to try and figure out some side deck cards that you should be fitting in your own side deck, if you're planning on doing well in major events
1) Shadow Imprisoning Mirror (1-2)
2) Gozen/Rivarly/Needle Ceiling (2)
3) Dimensional Fissure/Macro Cosmos (2)
4) Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer (0-2) - It's really player preference on the outlook on this card
5) Mask of Restrict/Light Imprisoning Mirror (2)
6) Cyber Dragon/System Down/Nobleman of Crossout (3) - a combination of any of the 3 will do great
7) Royal Decree (2)
8) Bottomless/D prison (2) - If you ARENT maining them already
9) Thunder King Rai-Oh (2-3) - If you ARENT maining them already
10) Effect Veiler (1-2) - Card is infinitely better than Maxx C at this point in the format, but Maxx C is ALSO acceptable if you prefer drawing cards... then losing 8k+ Lps...I guess...
11) Extra Back Row destruction such as MST/Dust Tornado
12) Kinetic Soldier (1-2) - MUCH better than Puppet Plant. As a HERO player, id much rather be puppet Planted
13) Skill Drain (1-2)

Looking at the side deck options, you should really consider what YOUR deck does, and what YOUR deck LOSES to, then decide from what I feel the most versatile cards in your side deck could, and should be for this format, for 2012-2013 of Yugiohs!

Edit: Other AWESOME side deck cards in general
1) Soul Drain
2) Prohibition

Thank you for reading through or scrolling through. Hopefully you found something of use and can Return the favor by visiting my channel www.youtube.com/BossLofton and checking out some of my content. Ill hopefully be going to Providence here in a couple of weeks, so see you then!

Last edited by BossLofton : 10-03-2012 at 03:35 PM.
BossLofton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
coltsdaman
SACK MASTER
 
coltsdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Appointed Sack Master
Age: 21
Posts: 5,282
iTrader: 0
Default

Theres also this page
http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=1074756
__________________
coltsdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:55 AM   #3
Ezzuna
Pojo Veteran
 
Ezzuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,305
iTrader: 1 (100%)
Default

As a beginner in terms of competitive YuGiOh, I'd like to thank you. The side deck was one of those scary things that I just didn't know how to use. I hope others will benefit/share their knowledge here too!

Subbed.
Ezzuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
BossLofton
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indina
Posts: 43
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzuna View Post
As a beginner in terms of competitive YuGiOh, I'd like to thank you. The side deck was one of those scary things that I just didn't know how to use. I hope others will benefit/share their knowledge here too!

Subbed.
Thanks man, anytime I can help out Id like to try it

Additional Comment:

10charbumprulegoupupup

Last edited by BossLofton : 10-01-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
BossLofton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
DDRman732865
Pojo Veteran
 
DDRman732865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,305
iTrader: 88 (100%)
Default

subbing, thanks for the tips
__________________
Trades
DDRman732865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
FergusMacBolg
Gishki Invader
 
FergusMacBolg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 680
iTrader: 1 (100%)
Default

Next step: deciding what to side out.
__________________
FergusMacBolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
BossLofton
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indina
Posts: 43
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergusMacBolg View Post
Next step: deciding what to side out.
working on that too. The problem with that is that, not everybody plays the same main deck cards lol. I can do a What to side out against certain decks though.
BossLofton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
magneto1992
Registered User
 
magneto1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 113
iTrader: 0
Default

I love the fact that you put Skill Drain and thunder king against geargias, as they are the REAL problem the deck faces. I run Geargias, and I love that they think they can just side in System Down and Cyber Dragon and win. I side in Zombie World and they like
magneto1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
GadgetEater
Registered User
 
GadgetEater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: San Bruno, California
Posts: 160
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergusMacBolg View Post
Next step: deciding what to side out.
This is so true.
Sub.
GadgetEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
PlaysForDays
Pojo Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 535
iTrader: 0
Default

Wrong forum. Also Kycoo is trash.
PlaysForDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
BossLofton
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indina
Posts: 43
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysForDays View Post
Wrong forum. Also Kycoo is trash.
Your opinion has been considered and been valued. Unfortunately, its been valued at 0. Next please.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto1992 View Post
I love the fact that you put Skill Drain and thunder king against geargias, as they are the REAL problem the deck faces. I run Geargias, and I love that they think they can just side in System Down and Cyber Dragon and win. I side in Zombie World and they like
Just tryn to be on top of my game

Last edited by BossLofton : 10-02-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
BossLofton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #12
Pepperyena
Junior Member
 
Pepperyena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 35
iTrader: 0
Default

Just a head's up - it's spelled "rogue", not "rouge".

I'm able to make good use of Gozen Match and the absorbing mirrors... Seems like I'll just have to master figuring out what to counter. The list is decent, from what I've seen.
Pepperyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #13
BossLofton
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indina
Posts: 43
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperyena View Post
Just a head's up - it's spelled "rogue", not "rouge".

I'm able to make good use of Gozen Match and the absorbing mirrors... Seems like I'll just have to master figuring out what to counter. The list is decent, from what I've seen.
Indeed it is Rogue.
BossLofton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
Sephiroth
99 Lives
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wanna watch me drink this guy?!
Age: 28
Posts: 15,988
iTrader: 47 (96%)
Default

Once it becomes TCG, I can see Soul Drain being a nasty side card.

Hits Dark World, Hieratics(?), HERO Fusions like Shining and Zero, Atlanteans, etc.

Also, had no idea Gozen was that useful against Dino Rabbit. o.O

Subbed.

Additional Comment:

Also, any thoughts on this sidedeck? This is what I use with my Hunder Games.

2x Soul Drain (DW, HEROs, Atlanteans, Hieratics(?))
2x Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror (DW, Inzeks, GK)
2x Gozen Match (Wind-Ups, Six Sams, Dino Rabbit)
2x Bottomless Trap Hole (I maindeck Compulsorys; HERO, Dino Rabbit, Hieratics)
2x Fairy Wind (Firestars, Macro, Skill Drain, GK, Light-Imprisoning Mirror)
2x Kaiser Colosseum (Wind-Ups, Six Sams, maybe Hieratics and Gusto?)
2x Prohibition (to tie up loose ends)
1x Lightray Daedalus (GK, Malefic, Secret Village, Orichalcos, maybe Madolche?)

Would Madolches, Geargias and Firestars be some decktypes to watch out for coming up?

I am debating on Dimensional Fissures and System Downs for the side, but not sure where to put them.
__________________
Яeunion is coming...will you be Яeady?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2
Two Penguin Soldiers walk into a bar. One flips out, and they both go home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoArctica9000 View Post
Goodbye wallet, hello Spacejews and instant ramen.
^Pretty much sums up life of a children's card game player, eh?

Last edited by Sephiroth : 10-02-2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
Misery-Maker
Watt's Up?
 
Misery-Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Coventry UK
Posts: 1,047
iTrader: 0
Default

Good thread, surprised you never mentioned Prohibition too though, its a great card for siding in twos. Sure it is a MST target, but what backrow card is not?
For against Heros, call Alius and it shuts down the three alius, 2-3 Sparks, 1-2 Hero Blast. If they are running bubble beat it shuts down bubbleman too.
Against rabbit, calling Sabersaurus if they have used the kabazul means they can't use the next rabbit. It can become a nasty lock if you then play a second and say MST.

Soul Drain is another card thats going to be a great edition to the side, also I think you should add agents in the second section, they are back and are at least as consistant now as Inzektors, as well as having a few new tricks avalible.
Misery-Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #16
BossLofton
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indina
Posts: 43
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Once it becomes TCG, I can see Soul Drain being a nasty side card.

Hits Dark World, Hieratics(?), HERO Fusions like Shining and Zero, Atlanteans, etc.

Also, had no idea Gozen was that useful against Dino Rabbit. o.O

Subbed.

Additional Comment:

Also, any thoughts on this sidedeck? This is what I use with my Hunder Games.

2x Soul Drain (DW, HEROs, Atlanteans, Hieratics(?))
2x Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror (DW, Inzeks, GK)
2x Gozen Match (Wind-Ups, Six Sams, Dino Rabbit)
2x Bottomless Trap Hole (I maindeck Compulsorys; HERO, Dino Rabbit, Hieratics)
2x Fairy Wind (Firestars, Macro, Skill Drain, GK, Light-Imprisoning Mirror)
2x Kaiser Colosseum (Wind-Ups, Six Sams, maybe Hieratics and Gusto?)
2x Prohibition (to tie up loose ends)
1x Lightray Daedalus (GK, Malefic, Secret Village, Orichalcos, maybe Madolche?)

Would Madolches, Geargias and Firestars be some decktypes to watch out for coming up?

I am debating on Dimensional Fissures and System Downs for the side, but not sure where to put them.
Soul Drain is already TCG, its a pretty good card yeah. Ill actually add a section where i just list awesome alternate side cards as well

Yeah Gozen can shut down Rabbit better than you think haha.

Your side deck looks alright i suppose. Just another tip, a card you find yourself siding in almost EVERY game, should be fit in your main deck

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery-Maker View Post
Good thread, surprised you never mentioned Prohibition too though, its a great card for siding in twos. Sure it is a MST target, but what backrow card is not?
For against Heros, call Alius and it shuts down the three alius, 2-3 Sparks, 1-2 Hero Blast. If they are running bubble beat it shuts down bubbleman too.
Against rabbit, calling Sabersaurus if they have used the kabazul means they can't use the next rabbit. It can become a nasty lock if you then play a second and say MST.

Soul Drain is another card thats going to be a great edition to the side, also I think you should add agents in the second section, they are back and are at least as consistant now as Inzektors, as well as having a few new tricks avalible.
My thoughts on Prohibition are 50/50. Its not a "bad" card. But the way you play it can be the game changer i guess. Calling Alius wouldn't do as much as calling Miracle Fusion though; the power play of the deck.

Yes, after i wrote this I realized i left Agents out, which is still a strong rogue deck. I need to put a section in for them, as well with Sams

Last edited by BossLofton : 10-02-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
BossLofton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
Sephiroth
99 Lives
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wanna watch me drink this guy?!
Age: 28
Posts: 15,988
iTrader: 47 (96%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLofton View Post
Soul Drain is already TCG, its a pretty good card yeah. Ill actually add a section where i just list awesome alternate side cards as well

Yeah Gozen can shut down Rabbit better than you think haha.

Your side deck looks alright i suppose. Just another tip, a card you find yourself siding in almost EVERY game, should be fit in your main deck
Well, I side out quite often, but it depends on what I face what I will side in. So I don't have anything in particular that I side in almost every game. Bottomless, for example, I don't bring in against most decks as I have other, more useful outs, either already sided, or among the rest of the side. Great card, but not enough for me to main it in my build. To each his own, I suppose.
__________________
Яeunion is coming...will you be Яeady?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2
Two Penguin Soldiers walk into a bar. One flips out, and they both go home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoArctica9000 View Post
Goodbye wallet, hello Spacejews and instant ramen.
^Pretty much sums up life of a children's card game player, eh?
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
Misery-Maker
Watt's Up?
 
Misery-Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Coventry UK
Posts: 1,047
iTrader: 0
Default

As a hero player myself, with Alius called when playing Hero beat, it really does mess you up. When your running a low monster count having your recyclable monster become dead is a major disadvantage.

Gemini Spark is generally a 2-3 card in the deck, Hero Blast 1-2 and bubbleman 1-3. Having these cards unable to be played means nearly 1/4 of the deck is dead. If they do manage to destroy it with Heavy, MST or stratos, that means you have not searched or if you MST hit the other backrow which could be a Bottomless, which would be another bad hit for you.

Calling stuff out such as Magicain vs windups, spy vs gravekeeper or even
Grapha really can shut down decks if they don't have the counter to it right then. Its a viable side card that can sometimes however be dead depending upon when its drawn, you can even use it on the traps like Prison/Mirror Force, Warning to protect your monsters.
Misery-Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
PlaysForDays
Pojo Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 535
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLofton View Post
Your opinion has been considered and been valued. Unfortunately, its been valued at 0. Next please.
I appreciate the thoughtful consideration of my opinion almost as much as the thorough explanation of its value.
PlaysForDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #20
Sephiroth
99 Lives
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wanna watch me drink this guy?!
Age: 28
Posts: 15,988
iTrader: 47 (96%)
Default

I can speak for BossLofton when I say, you're most welcome.
__________________
Яeunion is coming...will you be Яeady?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2
Two Penguin Soldiers walk into a bar. One flips out, and they both go home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoArctica9000 View Post
Goodbye wallet, hello Spacejews and instant ramen.
^Pretty much sums up life of a children's card game player, eh?
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #21
Debris
Sweet Sweet Cicero
 
Debris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 10,600
iTrader: 86 (100%)
Default

I had never thought about siding Warning out against HEROs, very good idea
Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
FergusMacBolg
Gishki Invader
 
FergusMacBolg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 680
iTrader: 1 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysForDays View Post
I appreciate the thoughtful consideration of my opinion almost as much as the thorough explanation of its value.
I appreciate the continuation of this polite passive-aggressive exchange as a departure from the usual outright bashing.
__________________
FergusMacBolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #23
Chaos Corps
 
Chaos Corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ¤‡Gaming Etc‡¤ Deck: Dk
Posts: 8,385
iTrader: 18 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolkka View Post
I had never thought about siding Warning out against HEROs, very good idea
Please let this be sarcasm.
Chaos Corps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #24
Sephiroth
99 Lives
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wanna watch me drink this guy?!
Age: 28
Posts: 15,988
iTrader: 47 (96%)
Default

Well, Corp, if you look at it in the fashion posted by the OP it makes sense.

They Summon Alius, you Warning, they then play Miracle, you're out 2k and facing a beater.

They Summon Alius, you do nothing, they Spark your Warning, and then go into Miracle.

Yes, it's situational, but not uncommon.

In my case, siding out Warning for BTH is actually a nice idea. Either way I get rid of their Monster on Summon, but one saves me LP and Banishes the card.
__________________
Яeunion is coming...will you be Яeady?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2
Two Penguin Soldiers walk into a bar. One flips out, and they both go home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoArctica9000 View Post
Goodbye wallet, hello Spacejews and instant ramen.
^Pretty much sums up life of a children's card game player, eh?
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #25
BossLofton
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indina
Posts: 43
iTrader: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Well, I side out quite often, but it depends on what I face what I will side in. So I don't have anything in particular that I side in almost every game. Bottomless, for example, I don't bring in against most decks as I have other, more useful outs, either already sided, or among the rest of the side. Great card, but not enough for me to main it in my build. To each his own, I suppose.
Damn, got a lot of love while I was gone.

Umm yes I would agree. To each is their own. Just trying my best to get some thoughts in the open

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery-Maker View Post
As a hero player myself, with Alius called when playing Hero beat, it really does mess you up. When your running a low monster count having your recyclable monster become dead is a major disadvantage.

Gemini Spark is generally a 2-3 card in the deck, Hero Blast 1-2 and bubbleman 1-3. Having these cards unable to be played means nearly 1/4 of the deck is dead. If they do manage to destroy it with Heavy, MST or stratos, that means you have not searched or if you MST hit the other backrow which could be a Bottomless, which would be another bad hit for you.

Calling stuff out such as Magicain vs windups, spy vs gravekeeper or even
Grapha really can shut down decks if they don't have the counter to it right then. Its a viable side card that can sometimes however be dead depending upon when its drawn, you can even use it on the traps like Prison/Mirror Force, Warning to protect your monsters.
Beating a HERO deck that can't make their power plays is easier. Especially when the only monsters you have to fear are 1900 beaters. But, i see what you're saying. Calling Alius limits not 3, but 5-6 of their cards (Gemini Sparks). But, the thing is, if they already have alius in the grave, or any hero + a Thunder king or any light, then Miracle Fusion is still a live Shining.

Not saying Prohibition is a bad card, because it is very flexible. I just don't like relying on 1 card to shut down an opponent when back row destruction can pop up out of anywhere, then your way of stopping them just shatters.

Last edited by BossLofton : 10-02-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
BossLofton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

 
Advertisement


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.