Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG "Advanced" Deck Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Arutha19

Default Asceticism - The Way of the Six

Hello Pojo! This is my first thread so please be gentle. This is my six samurai deck. Its built around the Asceticism engine and has been doing very well. I've included a little explanation of why each card is in the deck but for those who can't be bothered to read all that I've also included the raw decklist.

Any comments, criticisms and valid points are welcome.
It'd be great if this thread could become a do's and don'ts thread full of tips and tricks for budding and established Six Samurai players alike and not just a review of my own personal deck.
Anyway here it is:

Monster:
1x Grandmaster of the Six Samurai
3x Kagemusha of the Six Samurai
3x Legendary Six Samurai - Kizan
2x Legendary Six Samurai - Kageki
1x Elder of the Six Samurai
1x Legendary Six Samurai - Enishi
1x The Six Samurai - Irou
1x The Six Samurai - Zanji
2x Maxx "C"

Spells:
3x Asceticism of the Six Samurai
2x Shien's Smoke Signal
1x Gateway of the Six
3x Six Samurai United
1x Mystical Space Typhoon
1x Monster Reborn
1x Heavy Storm
1x Reinforcement of the Army

Traps:
1x Solemn Judgment
2x Solemn Warning
2x Musakani Magatama
2x Dimensional Prison
2x Bottomless Trap Hole
2x Compulsory Evacuation Device
1x Double-Edged Sword Technique

Side:
2x Rivalry of Warlords
2x Puppet Plant
2x System Down
2x Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror
2x Light-Imprisoning Mirror
2x Dimensional Fissure
2x Effect Veiler

Extra:
1x Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En
1x Shadow of the Six Samurai - Shien
1x Naturia Beast
1x Naturia Barkion
1x Ally of Justice Catastor
1x Mist Wurm
1x Ally of Justice Decisive Armor
1x Wind-Up Zenmaines
1x Timtempo the Percussion Djinn
1x Heroic Champion - Excalibur
1x Number 39: Utopia
1x Blade Armor Ninja
1x Number 16: Shock Master
1x Adreus, Keeper of Armageddon
1x Colossal Fighter

And heres my logic:

Monster:
I run one copy for a very simple reason: If you've summoned one, drawing the second more often than not becomes a dead draw. Six Samurai do not like dead draws! (There are plenty players who make 2 copies work, though).
This is the archetypes only real tuner and is, therefore, one of the stars of the deck. Technically speaking running a third copy is a tech choice, but I rarely see people running two these days.
Another of the decks stars. The ease in which he can be summoned in different ways makes him a key components of most synchros and xyzs and a valuable earner of Bushido counters. Again, the third copy is tech, but its rare to see someone run two.
This is a very useful addition to this deck. He is valuable in earning Bushido counters, making Asceticism work and being sought by smoke signal.
A useful pairing with Kagemusha via Asceticism. It is more normal to run two of these but I run one. Credit to Junior Dorcin (Recent winner of YCS Indianapolis) for this idea. He noticed that, similarly to Grandmaster, if you've used one of these the second becomes a dead draw. You needn't worry about only running one as he can be very easily sought out when needed. Sound logic.
Pairs with Kageki and Irou via Asceticism and a very useful effect monster. Also, when fielded with other Samurai he becomes a 2200 beatstick!
Pairs with Kageki and Enishi via Asceticism. His effect also allows you to run over Ryko, Snowman Eater and Night Assailant without activating their effects. Handy
Pairs with Kizan via Asceticism but his effect can be a life-saver. This monster can help rid the field of your opponents big attacking monsters - one of the things this deck really struggles with.
2x Maxx "C"
Some prefer Veiler to beef the deck up but I find this card more flexible. Playing Maxx "C" at the right moment can freeze-up your opponents power plays or, if he's stupid, allow you to draw into yours in reply. Timing is key!

Spells:
The decks engine and the heart of almost all the power-plays. 'nuff said.
2x Shien's Smoke Signal
Simply adds to Asceticisms search power.
1x Gateway of the Six
3x Six Samurai United
The broken duo of the archetype. Used separately they add searching and draw power. Used together and the counters amassed on United can also be used to trigger Gateways effect. Play this right and you'll be able to empty your extra deck onto the field in one turn.
1x Monster Reborn
1x Heavy Storm
Staples these days. Everyone runs them. I don't run Dark Hole as this deck is all about field presence. You want to be swarming the field, not clearing it. This deck has other ways of going about keeping your opponents monsters at bay.
This is, very basically, is a third Smoke Signal with the added benefit of searching level 4s too.

Traps:
1x Solemn Judgment
2x Solemn Warning
Staples these days. If you don't run the Solemn brigade, you should.
2x Musakani Magatama
Too useful to be without. This card will protect your power plays and will help establish a presence on the field.
2x Dimensional Prison
2x Bottomless Trap Hole
2x Compulsory Evacuation Device
This is a trap-heavy build. My main reason for this is that this decks main downfall is big beatsticks. Bottomless and Prison deal with those cards that like to bounce back and forth from the grave and Compulsory deals with big XYZs and Synchros.
This can be a last-ditch push for game, a way to overcome the opponents powerful monsters or the beginning of a power play. You have to play this right. If you don't it could be suicide.

Side:
Before I begin let me first say that the tech I would be prepared to swap out of this deck comes in the form of hand-traps, traps and spells. Therefore, I designed my side deck in such a way that, after siding, the proportions of the deck stay the same while the character changes slightly to deal with the unfolding scenario.
2x Rivalry of Warlords
This deals with a huge proportion of the meta including Dino-Rabbit, Wind-Ups, Lightsworns and many Chaos builds.
2x Puppet Plant
A useful replacement for Maxx "C" against Heroes and other Six Samurai decks. This can help you turbo your way toward those big xyzs and Synchros.
2x System Down
Hits all kinds of machine decks. Very useful.
A useful little trap that deals with chaos builds, Wind-Ups and Dark World.
This card deals with one of the things Junior Dorcin said he struggled against: Heiratics. But it also handles Lightsworns and chaos builds.
2x Dimensional Fissure
Another way of dealing with those decks that prefer to bounce monsters in and out of the grave such as Inzektors, Dark World, Lightsworns and Chaos Dragons.
2x Effect Veiler
A substitute for Maxx "C" if I ever feel like I need the extra negation or if Maxx just isn't cutting it.
I keep the second one sided, just incase. Its more of a comfort level thing than an intellectual decision.

Extra:
Simply a beast. Shame he's limited really
Not too common an xyz for me, personally, but his effect can turn Kageki into a 3500 monster, which can be handy.
1x Naturia Beast
Probably one of my more common Synchros. Especially against decks heavy on magic or decks with a particularly disruptive card up their sleeve.
1x Naturia Barkion
Just as useful as Beast against trap-heavy decks.
A useful way of keeping the field empty of your opponents bigger beatsticks.
1x Mist Wurm
Can be an awesome play when you're pushing for game or trying to target specific threats.
This is also Junior Dorcin's idea. He put this in his extra deck to deal with Lightsworns and Agents but it can also deal with Heiratics. A useful card.
1x Wind-Up Zenmaines
A fairly common feature in most side decks now. A great way to stall or clear the field.
A great way to burn the material of your opponents xyzs. A handy little guy.
A brilliant way to push for game or to get over a particularly difficult monster.
Another useful addition that can either stall or be a beatstick.
1x Blade Armor Ninja
Another useful way to push for game or to help clear the field.
A ridiculous card that can completely shut down the opponent if you play it right. I love this thing and play it all the time.
Another powerful way to keep the opponents field clear.
1x Colossal Fighter
Our very own big beatstick. Theres always bound to be a warrior or two lying around in the grave which will push this guys attack into the stratosphere.

Last edited by Arutha19 : 09-30-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Arutha19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
damunta

The deck looks solid, a little more trap heavy in comparision to what I play.

I love the in depth explanations for each choice, I may modify my build a little to reflect it because of the solid reasons.

P.S.
I think you have put Yaichi in instead of Zanji just reading the description for having it in the deck.
damunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
Arutha19

I have v.v. The differences between the sams were starting to blur after all this
Thanks for the compliment. Lets hope it goes down as well with the rest of the community. If you do modify your deck then let me know how it goes.

Additional Comment:

Heres a version that runs Shien's Dojo. I know there are some out there who can't do without it

Monster:
2x Maxx "C"

Spells:
2x Shien's Smoke Signal
1x Gateway of the Six
3x Six Samurai United
1x Monster Reborn
1x Heavy Storm
2x Shien's Dojo

Traps:
1x Solemn Judgment
2x Solemn Warning
2x Musakani Magatama
2x Dimensional Prison
2x Bottomless Trap Hole

Side:
2x Rivalry of Warlords
2x Puppet Plant
2x System Down
2x Dimensional Fissure
2x Effect Veiler

Extra:
1x Naturia Beast
1x Naturia Barkion
1x Mist Wurm
1x Wind-Up Zenmaines
1x Blade Armor Ninja
1x Colossal Fighter

Its not vastly different, but Dojo builds are always more fragile than non-dojo varients. Even here Compulsory Evacuation Device is now absent making the deck a touch more vulnerable. But very playable!

Last edited by Arutha19 : 09-30-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
1Dwuzzle
Pojo Veteran

Dojo is an amazing card, and if you're lucky enough to open Dojo United Gateway, then you have free counters basically. I prefer to run a copy of Spirit of the Six when I use Dojo. An easy great opening play would be Dojo -> any combo of getting Shi En. Kageki/Kagemusha or Ascetism/Elder/Kage turns 3 cards into a Shi En with Spirit equipped. Cuz Sams love being able to draw more cards.
1Dwuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
JohnieCache19
The Man In Black

I don't see anything wrong with it. maybe drop 2 light imprisoning mirror for 2 veiler. this is a by-the-books build. Samurai are very limited in the innovation department.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
daasianmang
Evilswarm Fanatic

Is this an identical copy of Junior Dorcin's build?? I saw that you took some ideas from his deck... but as far as I can tell this is just netdecking...

And regarding the last part where you said this could be a thread for budding SS players... there's a thread already in TCG Strategies for Six Sam's already.

Last edited by daasianmang : 09-30-2012 at 11:44 AM.
daasianmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Arutha19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dwuzzle View Post
Dojo is an amazing card, and if you're lucky enough to open Dojo United Gateway, then you have free counters basically. I prefer to run a copy of Spirit of the Six when I use Dojo. An easy great opening play would be Dojo -> any combo of getting Shi En. Kageki/Kagemusha or Ascetism/Elder/Kage turns 3 cards into a Shi En with Spirit equipped. Cuz Sams love being able to draw more cards.
The problem with Spirit is that it then becomes the only card that can't be searched via Asceticism, which is a much more important play than Dojo. Though you right, draw power is always welcome!

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnieCache19 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it. maybe drop 2 light imprisoning mirror for 2 veiler. this is a by-the-books build. Samurai are very limited in the innovation department.
Yes, they usually are a bit innovation-limited. And I already have 2 veilers along with the mirror.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daasianmang View Post
Is this an identical copy of Junior Dorcin's build?? I saw that you took some ideas from his deck... but as far as I can tell this is just netdecking...
I thought that an explanation of what cards I use and why I use them would avoid this accusation. Yes, the builds are very similar and he's had some influence on the deck which probably doesn't help with first-impressions (if a guy tops a ycs with the archetype you're playing and you don't at least try to learn a few of his tips and tricks then you're an idiot) but since I have no legit way of convincing anyone that I've been running the build of ages now you'll just have to take my word for it. There are a few subtle, but important, differences I think.

Whether you believe me or not is up to you

Last edited by Arutha19 : 09-30-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
SovietOnions

congrats winning a ycs. i thought you ran irou? is your real name junior or is it a nickname?
SovietOnions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
Arutha19

Seriously... you wasted your time for that?

Additional Comment:

On a more serious note I'm playtesting Mirror Force in place of Compulsory Evacuation Device for that added omph against swarms of big momsters.

Last edited by Arutha19 : 10-01-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
Decolico

Well technically, people can't really say you're netdecking a six sam deck, as there is really only two different builds, one with asceticism, one without. Otherwise, most six sam decks are pretty much the same thing. Although I wonder why you run Shadow-Imprisoning... It kills Shi En

Current decks: Chaos Galaxy Photon, Gladiator Beasts, Quickdraw Quasar, Ojama
Decolico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
dkv1

I would put in two Fiendish Chain for 2 of the traps. I personally don't like irou in the main deck as not many use facedown.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
Decolico

Now, how I built my sams was it's version of a lockdown. The synchros take care of stopping the back row. The main deck took care of the front row. Negate effects, and swing with big monsters.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
Arutha19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decolico View Post
Well technically, people can't really say you're netdecking a six sam deck, as there is really only two different builds, one with asceticism, one without. Otherwise, most six sam decks are pretty much the same thing. Although I wonder why you run Shadow-Imprisoning... It kills Shi En
You're right, of course. But I have plenty of other monsters I can use when I side it in. Its a cost worth paying to shut down the decks that it does.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkv1 View Post
I would put in two Fiendish Chain for 2 of the traps. I personally don't like irou in the main deck as not many use facedown.
Fiendish is a very good card but veiler does much the same thing. I don't know what you'd reccommend to substitute for it in the main, but in the side I'd say veiler and chain are interchangeable.

Irou's effect is secondary if I'm honest. Its more about the Asceticism links that it makes which is the focus of this deck.

Last edited by Arutha19 : 10-01-2012 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
Decolico

Well, what decks do you plan to stop with shadow-imprisoning? If I remember correctly, only DW can stop Sams, so side Macro Sams, or Soul Drain

Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #15
Arutha19

Hmm... you're right. I'll playtest it for a bit.

Shadow can hit chaos builds too, which I struggle with (namely chaos dragons)
Old 10-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
ghoststryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietOnions View Post
congrats winning a ycs. i thought you ran irou? is your real name junior or is it a nickname?
iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg
ghoststryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
Decolico

To stop Chaos, play Macro Sams.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #18
Arutha19

Do you have any particular recommendations for what might replace the mirrors? I'm thinking Mirror Force myself...

Additional Comment:

Oh, wait! Mirror is my main counter to wind-ups as well. Fissure is my main counter to DW, chaos builds and lightsworns. But grapha is still a pain in the ass...

Last edited by Arutha19 : 10-02-2012 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #19
1Dwuzzle
Pojo Veteran

Compulsory Evacutation Device, can't go wrong with that one.
1Dwuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
Arutha19

Arrrgh.... you're right. So many traps, so little space...