Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Discussions, News & Gossip
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Does the deck a player uses change their playing skill, and in what direction?
Yes, good players will use non-meta decks. 16 66.67%
No, only bad players use ****ty decks in general, while most meta players are good. 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Pattyboo
Squiddy's #1 Fan

Default Does using a bad deck make a good player, and vice versa

For some reason on Pojo, all I've seen lately is that Inzektors are the second most popular deck, AFTER THE BANLIST, while it saw little to no play and the thread saw no traffic previously? Why is this?

How come the mentality of Pojo is that Ice Barrier players are good, while somebody who chooses to use Rabbit is a scrub?

Also, on this note, is a bad deck automatically more skillful? Was QuickDraw Plants less skillful than Exodia solely because it was a better deck?

[12/21/12 10:37:17 PM] Squiddoo: i am ur no. 1 fan patty boo get bak in yu gi oh

Last edited by Pattyboo : 08-26-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
nukm4
Grammar Nazi

Bad poll options. Where is my "there is no correlation" option?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpknight View Post
Nukm's post was the only respectable thing said thus far.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Neo Zerato
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukm4 View Post
This, I've seen good players using the most disastrous mash-up builds ever, then next format playng meta decks and viceversa.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
sliferhaven
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukm4 View Post
This. Just about any deck can be good or bad in the hands of a certain player. However, I will admit that I have a bit of a bias towards playing underrated decks and tier 1.5 or below decks. They just seem to make you think more, but that is not because of the deck itself. Instead, I would go as far as to say that using lower tier decks is almost like a sort of yugioh placebo effect. I play them because I want to show that the deck can win when used correctly, and that just because the deck may not be as popularly used doesn't mean it's any worse than some YCS copy-pasta.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Regiruler
Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliferhaven View Post
This. Just about any deck can be good or bad in the hands of a certain player. However, I will admit that I have a bit of a bias towards playing underrated decks and tier 1.5 or below decks. They just seem to make you think more, but that is not because of the deck itself. Instead, I would go as far as to say that using lower tier decks is almost like a sort of yugioh placebo effect. I play them because I want to show that the deck can win when used correctly, and that just because the deck may not be as popularly used doesn't mean it's any worse than some YCS copy-pasta.
Very much this, the poll options are terrible.
Rarity already is a game mechanic. Ultimate Effect Veilers will negate your opponent HARDER!
Decks: Vylon
Create-a-Card Archetypes

NNID: Regiruler
Old 08-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
darkcrab
Pojo Veteran

There needs to be another poll option, and heres a good title for it.

" These are the worst poll options ever"
Old 08-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Sword_Stalker
something else

a player using a good deck wins. it means they are either:
good
or the deck is just good
the opponent is worse

a player using a bad deck wins. it means they are:
good
the opponent is worse

a player using a good deck loses. it means they are:
bad
opponent was better

a player using a bad deck loses. it means they are:
bad
deck is bad
opponent was better.

only logic i see. if you pick one and ignore the other options, its an opinion only. so no point in debating.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
ChairmanKaga
Iron Chef Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyboo View Post
For some reason on Pojo, all I've seen lately is that Inzektors are the second most popular deck, AFTER THE BANLIST, while it saw little to no play and the thread saw no traffic previously? Why is this?

How come the mentality of Pojo is that Ice Barrier players are good, while somebody who chooses to use Rabbit is a scrub?

Also, on this note, is a bad deck automatically more skillful? Was QuickDraw Plants less skillful than Exodia solely because it was a better deck?
Uhm I don't think anyone thinks Ice Barrier players are good, they might be more interested in the deck and seeing people trying to make it work, but not many people are going to go "oh you play ice barriers, you must be godly at yugiomonz!".

As to why people are interested in inzektors, its now going to be a VERY cheap deck to put together. The only really high price card in the deck (hornet) is getting limited and its generally considered to be going downhill quick powerwise meaning you should be able to pick up the cards for an Inzektor deck pretty cheaply.
Again it also represents something of the challenge the ice barrier decks do. You are trying to make a deck that is now handicapped compete with decks that are in better condition. This sort of thing has a certain allure to it specially to cultures who love underdogs and the like.

ps, your poll options suck
Old 08-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
AcselOfDarkness
Dark Acceptance

There is no absolute answer. Good players can use bad decks, bad players can use good decks, good players can use good decks and bad players can use bad decks. Equally, bad players can use either and become good players. A player is generally considered good or bad based on their deck and what moves they choose to make. Good players can make bad decks work and bad players can screw up with good decks.

Players don't exclusively use decks. Equally, not all decks can be categorized equally. For example, you can have a good ice barrier deck and a bad one. Not all ice barrier decks are bad though. Some Rabbit players are "scrubs", others are skilled players that want a good chance at winning.

The decks themselves can really be described as skillful. It's how the decks are used. There is some correlation here though. Underpowered archetypes are used less, meaning when someone uses them, they might have little or no experience. People watching might have never seen that deck. When that player duels, there are more chances for new plays (either new to the player or new to the audience). Sometimes, these new players can be incredibly skilled. When you play or watch a meta deck, those plays have been made and seen more often, so it appears to be less skilled and there are fewer openings for new plays. Thus skill doesn't appear as much. So there is a sort of correlation but if the player isn't skilled, you won't see skilled plays. The deck doesn't really matter.

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword_Stalker View Post
a player using a good deck wins. it means they are either:
good
or the deck is just good
the opponent is worse

a player using a bad deck wins. it means they are:
good
the opponent is worse

a player using a good deck loses. it means they are:
bad
opponent was better

a player using a bad deck loses. it means they are:
bad
deck is bad
opponent was better.

only logic i see. if you pick one and ignore the other options, its an opinion only. so no point in debating.
If this consistently happens then they are the only basic options. If it was just one game then you need to include luck as a winning factor for either play. There is always the chance that you had a bad matchup, say a burn deck against an anti-burn deck (bad example, I know).

Mental Seeker Stall/Deck Out
Psychic Norleras
YouTube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by petqwe View Post
Pojo should add an upvote button for you.

Last edited by AcselOfDarkness : 08-26-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
Debris
Sweet Sweet Cicero

Have a noob play Goat Control with you for a week and you'll see the improvement
Old 08-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Boltizar
Snoozin' Bujins

For starters, I'm uncomfortable with the poll keeping tabs on who's voting for what.

More to the point, I've known some very good players and they'll use whatever they want regardless of whether it's popular or not and can perform well, but that doesn't mean they'll never use popular deck options. Part of doing well in the game competitively is having the mindset "What will allow me to win most often". Use what works. And what defines a "bad deck" and a "good deck" exactly and wouldn't there be some sort of grey area?

You know you love me ~♥ | Singing Soul Gould Star Count: 1
Old 08-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
SexyLusterSoldier

Oh your deck beat me? Its cause its dat n00b deck you obviously net decked. I'm still the better duelist cause I like to use random Beast cards in my deck and it has absolutely no synergy.

Seems legit.

Most of the name calling and blah blah blah comes from poor sportsmanship. If you don't wanna duel the top stuff then don't duel competitively. There has to be a "top" deck. One that is considered the best. Its just how it works.

If you can't accept that then please leave the game.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
Bubbleh
RIPkindling

I think the poll options should be leaning more towards "Good players will win with non-meta decks more often".
Old 08-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
AcselOfDarkness
Dark Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleh View Post
I think the poll options should be leaning more towards "Good players will win with non-meta decks more often".
This really. It isn't about what you use, it's how you use it. It doesn't even have to say they'll win more often, just that they'll use the cards more effectively.

Mental Seeker Stall/Deck Out
Psychic Norleras
YouTube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by petqwe View Post
Pojo should add an upvote button for you.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
Maou
El~Psy~Congroo

I won my locals last week in this disasterous format running Gem-Knights. That doesn't mean that Gem-Knights are good, that means the pilot behind them is good.

Any deck can do good in the hands of a good player. ANY. SINGLE. DECK.

/thread

6 Regional Top 8's
Old 08-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
DarkenedRazor

I prefer to stick to:
People who play meta decks are boring to duel against.
People who dont are fun to duel against.

Thats why this game got so boring for me.
Balanced version of Speed World.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #17
Mr Hyena
Gimmie a Spanking!

It takes more skill to win using a less powerful deck vs a highly consistent, meta deck.

So its something that should be applauded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madarao
Love knows no gender or species.
Team Fuz
Old 08-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
TacoKing
MODKIP!!!

Locking this so the OP can try again with better poll options.