Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Pokémon > Pokémon Modified Decks Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Barrel Dragon_080
Master of Machines

Default Ho-oh EX deck

Okay, anyone know the details on what should be run in this thing? I've tried googling it but there is very little information on the deck and what is there is very indecisive. Here's what I could see for the deck so far:

Pokemon (12):

Ho-oh EX (x3)
Entei EX
Mewtwo EX (x2)
Sigilyph (x2)
Bouffalant (x2)
Emolga (x2)

Trainers (31):

Professor Juniper (x4)
Bianca (x4)
Cilan (x3)
N (x3)
Ultra Ball (x4)
Random Receiver (x3)
Switch (x3)
Pokemon Catcher (x3)
Enhanced Hammer (x2)
Eviolite (x2)

Energy (17):

Double Colorless (x3)
Prism Energy (x3)
Psychic (x3)
Fire (x2)
Electric
Dark
Steel
Fighting
Grass
Water

So, I know this doesn't look perfect but I can't figure out what else could be used to get Ho-oh EX and Energy cards to the discard pile faster, especially now that Sage's Training is banned.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberdarkWarrior1# View Post
Painful Choice (Not even relevant anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalestalk View Post
I still say Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End wasn't/isn't so bad. I never played, and do not remember playing against it, but not so bad.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
farmerduh3
i <3 card sleeves

wait can you explain the point of the deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistic View Post
Have you considered changing your tampon today?
Old 08-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Barrel Dragon_080
Master of Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerduh3 View Post
wait can you explain the point of the deck
Well, like many I'm rather new to the deck as I am not sure all the ins and outs of it since as I said there is very little information out there on it.

All I know for sure is that it's supposed to get Ho-oh EX to the discard pile quickly along with as much energy as possible so as to use his effect and pull off large swings once he revives (along with other basic heavy hitters such as Mewtwo EX).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberdarkWarrior1# View Post
Painful Choice (Not even relevant anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalestalk View Post
I still say Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End wasn't/isn't so bad. I never played, and do not remember playing against it, but not so bad.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Jakben
Pojo Veteran

The Idea behind Ho-oh Ex is to use a bunch of different pokemon of different energy types in order to always attack for weakness. Normally, this is difficult because attacking with a bunch of different pokemon is hard because each requires a different energy. Ho-oh EX, however, has the ability rebirth which allows for one to get 3 different energy from the discard pile and attach them to Ho-oh then to use cards like Energy Switch to move the energy on to the attackers.

This being said, this deck needs a complete makeover to be ran effectively let’s start with the pokemon. To start I would say to drop the Ho-oh EX count, down to 2. Though Ho-oh is the main engine of the deck, starting with it puts you at such a disadvantage that it’s not worth it to play 3; especially since you can search for it. That being said the other pokemon that you have chosen to play with it don’t really work with the theme of the deck since each attacker you have listed requires a whopping 3 energy to attack way too much for the Ho-oh engine to support so I will be cutting them, the other pokemon emolga isn’t necessary because there is nothing that you are in a hurry to bench

Summary:
-1x Ho-oh EX
-1x Entei EX
-2x Mewtwo EX
-2x Sigilyph
-2x Bouffalant
-2x Emolga

Now we add some stuff. In order to play a successful Ho-oh deck we must first look at the current meta-game. At worlds the top 4 consisted of 2 darkrai players, 1 plasma player, and 1 blastoise/keldo player. In addition to this, with the release of plasma blast, Genesect/Virizion will likely see a rise in popularity due to its success in japan. This means that we need to incorporate fighting type pokemon, steel type pokemon (plasma’s main attacker is weak to steel), Grass Pokemon, and lastly Fire Pokemon.
Ho-oh itself is a strong fire type able to take out any card in the genesect/virizion deck with a successful rebirth and an energy attachment of a different type than the 3 selected in the discard pile This makes it ideal for a late game answer. That being said, it is difficult to find a fire pokemon with early game power that can attack turn after turn for good damage while being easy to power up. So the deck will have to rely on its other attackers while it sets up.

In order to deal with darkrai, we can add 2 strong fighting types to the fray, the first is Terrakion from Noble Victories. Due to terrakions retaliate attack it is probably the single strongest non-EX attacker in the game with the exception of the plasma kyurem and perhaps the plasma absol (more on him later). If a darkrai player knocks out your pokemon, you can instantly respond by knocking out the darkrai which puts you really far ahead in the prize trade. Trading 1 prize for 2 is always a good thing especially since you can retaliate out of nowhere with a successful rebirth attach energy switch. Further, we can add Landorus EX. While Terrakion (NVI) is a reactive pokemon, Landorus EX takes initiative with a strong attack for 1 energy doing 60 to darkrai for 1 energy and 30 to a benched pokemon. This is incredibly strong for 1 a one energy attachment. Further, both of these pokemon are strong against thundorus EX in the plasma decks with the landorus being less so due to its weakness to water.

Plasma on the other hand can be dealt with again by 2 very strong steel attackers. The first is Cobalion EX. Cobalion EX attacks for 1 steel energy and does 30 damage to the active or 60 damage to the kyurem. This may not seem like much because it still takes 3 hits to K.O. a kyurem. That being said when it connects, Cobalion EX discards a special energy card from the pokemon it hits. It is not uncommon for plasma decks to play 0 non special energy cards making this attack extremely powerful. Plus it boast 180 HP making it difficult for plasma decks to K.O. since most of their plays hit for around 170 damage. This is the attacker you want to use early against plasma. In addition to that there is a separate cobalion in noble victories (is it me or did this set release a good bit of strong non – ex attackers) that does damage based on the number of energy cards on the defending pokemon against a fully powered kyurem that it 1 hit k.o.s that kyurem this makes it strong for later in the game rather than an early attacker (*note this card is being rotated out, however, japan is getting a reprint of it and I feel it is likely we will get it as well if not you should turn to an additional copy of the Cobalion EX).

The deck that is slightly harder to game plan is the blastoise matchup. You will likely fall behind in this matchup due to its nature of having the core of your deck have a weakness to it. This being said it is not an impossible match up. Blastoise tends to stack a good deal of energy on its pokemon to attack this being said a lot of the pokemon in blastoise keldeo are weak to grass; in fact, everything is with the exception of the black kyurem. Therefore using tropius from plasma blast is a good answer. Tropius has the same attack as cobalion (NVI) it does damage based on the number of energy on the defending pokemon. Combined with a card we will add later, it can kill squirtles with 0 energy and keldeos that have powered up with 3 energy. In addition, it has another attack that does 10 damage and allows you to draw till you have 6 cards in your hand making it a strong supporting pokemon. Since you are going to likely fall behind anyway, Shaymin EX is a good card for making comebacks if your opponent has taken any prizes. In addition, it knocks out a without your opponent taking any prizes at all which further makes it a strong choice.
So in summary so far,

+1 Terrakion (NVI)
+1 Landorus EX
+1 Cobalion EX
+1 Cobalion (NVI)
+1 Tropius (PLB)
+1 Shaymin EX

To round out the pokemon line we should also add some good all-around attackers. For these absol (PLF) fits the bill because it allows you to deal massive amounts of damage to heavy benchers. This will include most rogue decks as well as plasma. In addition, kecleon (PLF) is a good support attacker which allows you to use your opponents low cost support attacks (i.e. frost spear or junk hunt) against them. I recommend 2 of each. We’ll round out the list with a Keldeo EX. Combined with float stone this card will give all your guys free retreat.

I’ll do trainers and energy tomorrow.

TL;DR

-1x Ho-oh EX
-1x Entei EX
-2x Mewtwo EX
-2x Sigilyph
-2x Bouffalant
-2x Emolga

Pokemon 13
2x Ho-oh EX
2x Kecleon (PLF)
2x Absol (PLF)
1x Cobalion EX
1x Cobalion (NVI)
1x Landorus EX
1x Terrakion (NVI)
1x Tropius (PLB)
1x Shaymin EX
1x Keldeo EX.

Currently a Free Agent
Qualified for Nats 08,09
2 Top 4s Alabama Regionals
13 place Alabama Regionals
9th Place UDE day
Old 08-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
Eyedolize
Pojo Veteran

This deck took a major hit with energy switch being rotated out, to the point where I'm not sure how playable it can be

Cardfight! Vanguard Haves/Wants

Old 08-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
BJJ763

Wow way to gravedig. Please do not post on decks that are over a year old.