Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh Card Collecting Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
imjtblanton

imjtblanton is on a distinguished road
Question Making money playing Yu-Gi-Oh: Is it really possible?

I hear a lot of people claiming that they can make money playing this game. I personally think they're full of it. No offense, I'd love to be proven wrong. But seriously, how can you ever actually make money playing the game? Vendors and card shops undoubtedly make a lot of money, but definitely not players.

Even if you won numerous regional tournaments every year and dominated your locals that would never even come close to covering the thousands that so-called "pros" spend on cards every year. I also think people lose track of just how much they spend on cards.

There's some people at my locals who claim they can make money off of the game. I don't know about other people who claim profits, but these guys are 100% full of it. I see them and a lot of others easily spending $15-20 a week upgrading their decks and buying some new cards. As well as even more on boxes and packs that I know they will lose money on. I think they forget that at this rate they will easily spend over $1,000 by the end of the year. Some of them I know spend even more.

I want to hear from somebody who claims they can make money - anybody else can still comment, though. How exactly do you make money when I'm guessing you spend upwards of $1,000-2,000 a year, weather you know it or not, on cards and extra gas money?

I'd love to join the club and start making money, but I honestly think that it's utterly impossible when you consider that even if you top at regional championships, your prizes are only worth about $80 (minus parking, minus gas money, minus the entrance fee). And even if you somehow win the world championships, your airline and hotel fees will easily wipe out any profits from prizes.

So please, tell me, how do you make money playing Yu-Gi-Oh?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
RavenoftheSound

Location: Turlock, but I frequent Modesto (Central California)
RavenoftheSound is on a distinguished road

Yu Gi Oh! and profit don't mix. At most, I've seen players break even on this game, if they're lucky.
RavenoftheSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
Unities
Pojo Veteran

Unities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjtblanton View Post
Even if you won numerous regional tournaments every year and dominated your locals that would never even come close to covering the thousands that so-called "pros" spend on cards every year.
If it is not possible how do you think they can afford thousands? Working minimum wage? Having a normal job?

Quote:
So please, tell me, how do you make money playing Yu-Gi-Oh?
Why would anyone teach you how to make money instead of doing it themselves?

@RavenoftheSound:
Profit and almost anything can mix. It all depends on how much work you are willing to invest and your belief in success. If Marshall Applewhite can convince 39 ppl to kill themselves to so they can join jesus in a ufo to heaven, you better believe it is possible to make profit off of yugioh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintenderek View Post
The only problem I've having with it is that I'm throwing money at the screen and it's not arriving any sooner.

Last edited by Unities : 06-06-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Unities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Potatosack
Osu! 6B

Potatosack is on a distinguished road

If you're a vendor you might be lucky, but no. It's nearly impossible to earn a living in this game.
Potatosack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
Rekisen

Rekisen is on a distinguished road

I agree with you to some extent OP, but also the 2nd poster. They do make SOME money, via trading and profiting off that, or just buying cheap collections or singles. A lot of big names I see have some connections to stores or have their own ebay store.

Sometimes buying big collections will make you money, if a dude just wants to get rid of his stuff in bulk for a low price.

Also, predicting what card will rise, but I don't think you can be good at this. But like when Maxx C jumped up I bet they were all over this in the early stages getting them mid-way.

So basically they exaggerate. They do make some money but its by no means a lot. You cannot live off yugioh, but if you try hard enough I do believe they can cover atleast most of the games expenses
Rekisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
imjtblanton

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekisen View Post
So basically they exaggerate. They do make some money but its by no means a lot. You cannot live off yugioh, but if you try hard enough I do believe they can cover atleast most of the games expenses
Yeah, I agree that there are some ways in which you can make money being a pseudo-vendor yourself. I don't think these methods are very effective, but still. So sure, you could possible make some money buying and reselling cards.

However, there are a lot of people who claim to be pros. And by a "pro" you would be implying that you are making money playing the game, not reselling cards. People who sell basketball memorabilia are not professional basketball players. Kobe Bryant is a professional basketball player because he makes money playing basketball. People who buy and resell Yu-Gi-Oh cards are not professional card players, they're just vendors.

So basically I'm saying that there's no such thing as a Yu-Gi-Oh pro, and am still waiting to be proven otherwise. I would even argue that unless you're an established vendor or card shop, you're probably still not going to make any money.

Last edited by imjtblanton : 06-06-2012 at 01:17 AM.
imjtblanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
Chanul

Chanul is on a distinguished road

lol

*****, please.
I pay everything in my life since 2007 from YGO(school, girls, food, drink, tech, etc), plus i dont really invest, why go to a YCS in other state when i can play all the day at the center of the city beting for money and more cards that after i sell.

Everyday i go to the center of the city in the subway(like 30 cents ticket) and play and sell from 17:00 to 20:00 and i get like 30dollars(in good days 200) plus more cards to sell the other day, then i can do everything i want, maybe dont sound like big money but its big money when u basically do nothing but play and talk to people as u sell cards.

I have time to do everything i want and thats the most awesome part.
21° from 331 players 07/12/2013
1° Battle City, Puebla 16/03/2014
1° Battle City, DF 22/03/2014

http://www.pojo.biz/board/signaturepics/sigpic107553_1.gif
Its my destiny!

#FreeStratos
#ScrewKonami
Chanul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #8
imjtblanton

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unities View Post
Profit and almost anything can mix. It all depends on how much work you are willing to invest and your belief in success. If Marshall Applewhite can convince 39 ppl to kill themselves to so they can join jesus in a ufo to heaven, you better believe it is possible to make profit off of yugioh.
What in the hell are you talking about? I mean, seriously, what now?

So if Adolf Hitler was able to convince Germany to kill millions of Jews, then surely I can make money off of this tuna fish sandwich. Right? There's nothing wrong with my logic here is there?

If Stalin was able to set up all of those terrible work camps, then I should have no problem selling this old desk and chair for $100. That makes perfect sense! I can totally see the connection!

You know what, you're right. Since those kids went crazy and killed all of those people at Columbine, I should definitely be able to make money off of Yu-Gi-Oh. It was just a matter of convincing people in something crazy and stupid - and then somehow selling Yu-Gi-Oh cards. It's so clear to me now.

Last edited by imjtblanton : 06-06-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
Sick_Samurai_151
Pojo Veteran

Sick_Samurai_151 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What in the hell are you talking about? I mean, seriously, what now?

So if Adolf Hitler was able to convince Germany to kill millions of Jews, then surely I can make money off of this tuna fish sandwich. Right? There's nothing wrong with my logic here is there?

If Stalin was able to set up all of those terrible work camps, then I should have no problem selling this old desk and chair for $100. That makes perfect sense! I can totally see the connection!

You know what you're right. Since those kids went crazy and killed all of those people at Columbine, I should definitely be able to make money off of Yu-Gi-Oh. It was just a matter of convincing people in something crazy and stupid - and then somehow selling Yu-Gi-Oh cards. It's so clear to me now.
Now your getting it.
Sick_Samurai_151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #10
Supremeking_Judai
~Anarchy~

Supremeking_Judai is on a distinguished road

I don't make enough selling on eBay to make a living, but satisfying enough for some good o'l spending money, especially with my spending habits (going to strip clubs/other adult activities). Yugioh is great for some fast spending cash, but its hard to make a living off of it.

7.15.12 <3
Supremeking_Judai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:46 AM   #11
Fever
Dark World Master

Fever is on a distinguished road

Seeing this getting locked soon...

"THE DARK WORLD RISES"

ALL PLAYERS AND DECKS ARE WELCOME
CLICK THE BANNER TO JOIN

The Official Dark World Society Facebook Page
Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #12
DKMagicianGirl
Off-Topic Master

DKMagicianGirl is on a distinguished road

You have to not be a player if you expect to profit off of it.

Unless you are a vendor and can afford $400+ in resources locked up in a deck.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #13
AcselOfDarkness
Dark Acceptance

AcselOfDarkness is on a distinguished road

If you can make very good predictions about what cards will be good then you can buy them low, sell them high. In common scenarios, you won't be able to make stacks of money. Bits here and there, ripping in trades and winning tournaments will all earn you some amount. There is no real widespread way of making money though. Otherwise, everyone would be doing it and we'd know about it.

Mental Seeker Stall/Deck Out
Psychic Norleras
YouTube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by petqwe View Post
Pojo should add an upvote button for you.
AcselOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #14
Bobby Vang
The Fist of Shadow

Bobby Vang is on a distinguished road

Eh, I have a job but I make a decent amount of profits on the side to pay for gas.

Last two months about 150-175$ through TrollandToad and Paypal. (that includes trades and selling off old rares etc. So not entirely profits but most of it is.) It just pays off the gas sort of which is nice.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
imjtblanton

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever View Post
Seeing this getting locked soon...
Why exactly would someone feel the need to lock this thread? Why do they even lock threads in the first place?

Additional Comment:

But anyway, my question still remains. Many people claim to make money playing the game. How is this possible? I myself have bought and resold some cards online and actually made a decent profit off of them. I'm definitely not in the black, but maybe with some extra effort I could be.

Again, here's the question: how does one become a professional player of the game, as so many people claim to be.

eHow even has an extremely stupid article on how to become a professional card gamer. Step 1: Whittle your deck "down to 40 to 60 cards with a centralized win condition" -_-

See for yourself:
eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5112045_make...#ixzz1x2DL4qB5

Last edited by imjtblanton : 06-06-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
Sick_Samurai_151
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Why exactly would someone feel the need to lock this thread? Why do they even lock threads in the first place?

Additional Comment:

But anyway, my question still remains. Many people claim to make money playing the game. How is this possible? I myself have bought and resold some cards online and actually made a decent profit off of them. I'm definitely not in the black, but maybe with some extra effort I could be.

Again, here's the question: how does one become a professional player of the game, as so many people claim to be.

eHow even has an extremely stupid article on how to become a professional card gamer. Step 1: Whittle your deck "down to 40 to 60 cards with a centralized win condition" -_-

See for yourself:
eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5112045_make...#ixzz1x2DL4qB5
Don't take eHow literally, chances are a fool tried to make that so after you can claim to be a pro.

You want an example, I'll give a relatively short one because I'm a little busy.

Buy 500-1000+ of X Card.

In this scenario X Card is a card that seems decent but has yet to receive representation in a large event, a YCS in other words.

Then use X Card in at least a semi popular deck, and use it to top or even win a YCS.

Just like that, you have potentially gained a 50 percent or higher profit on EACH copy of X Card.

Or just topping with a deck that is unexpected causes prices to inflate.

It's a simple case of supply and demand, and when you are on that level of Yugioh when you can consistently top large events, it's extremely easy to see how people like this can literally live off of the game.

And there are many people who have, and still do this.

Billy Brake (and people in on the action) were rumored to buy thousands of Safe Zones, then when Billy topped with 3 of them in his Inzektors, the price jumped overnight from 8-12 to almost 20 dollars each.

Or look at the prices of Mystic Piper when that one guy topped with it out of nowhere. Prices again, doubled for this card.

If you are really knowledgable of the game and/or have friends who play this competively, you can anticipate which cards will rise in price, and which will absolutely flop.

Buy low, sell high, it's that simple.

Not to mention having a team helps ten fold when attempting to profit of the game.
Your expenses on cards-travel-etc are considerably lowered, because it's all getting split up between said team.

TL : DR

You can live off Yugioh, as with nearly anything else if you dedicate enough time to it.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
imjtblanton

Arrow

@ Sick_Samurai_151

So, have you ever actually done any of this? What's your name so I can see if you have topped any tournaments. Also, what decks did you do it with, so I can see if you yourself actually single-handedly influenced the entire Yu-Gi-Oh market to your whim.

You're also treating Yu-Gi-Oh cards like stocks. Buy low and sell high. However, there's one huge difference between the two. The stock market always has a general upward trend. Stocks have a tendency to increase in value over time, so it's normally a good investment. Yu-Gi-Oh cards always have a tendency to decrease in value over time, so investing in them is never a good idea.

When cards come out, they go for very high prices. However, as people start to accumulate them, as they become less powerful, and as they get hit with ban lists, their price always declines. The main problem is that people only need, at most, three of a certain card. So over time, the demand slowly falls and the prices fall as well.

Another huge problem with trying to invest in, and then sell cards yourself is that, unlike the stock market, you can never sell your cards for the full price, but you usually always have to buy it for the full price. If you buy a card from a vendor for $10, you will only be able to sell it online or back to the vendor for around $6-7. If you buy it online for $10, you could probably sell it again for $10, but you have to take out the shipping fees of bringing it to you, and then sending it back out again. Unless you're a vendor or a card shop, you inherently take a 20-40% loss on the card. So for it to be profitable and worth your time, you would usually need to see the value of a card nearly double - something that very rarely happens.

Vendors are very good at making money, because they simply buy cards from players and sell them for 50-80% more than what they bought them for. They also buy in bulk, and then sell the individual cards for more than what they paid for them as a whole. I know a lot of vendors, and none of them ever invest in cards, as it's extremely risky, terribly inefficient, and usually just plain doesn't work.

If you want to become a vendor or a card shop, you can very easily make money. But trying to make money by buying hundreds of copies of a single card (extremely difficult to do), using it to win a major tournament (very unlikely), praying that, that alone, will influence the demand for the card (even less likely), and then selling it for a reasonable profit is honestly a terrible idea.

Have you ever actually done this? What card did you buy 1,000 copies of, use it to win a major tournament, and then sell it for profit? What tournament was this? How exactly did you find 1,000 copies of a card when even a company as large as Troll and Toad usually only has, at most, 40-50 copies of a card? And how did you find a way to sell 1,000 copies of said card without any advertising means? Please, I would love to know how you accomplished all this.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
markv

markv is on a distinguished road

You can possibly make money,but definitely not enough to live off of
markv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #19
imjtblanton

Arrow

Actually, I'd just like to know how you found thousands of copies of a single card. Let's say I thought Inzektor Hornet's value was going to shoot up because I was planning on winning with it at a major tournament. Because somehow I just know that is going to happen. If I cleared out Troll and Toad, all of the websites listed on TCG Player, everything for sale on Amazon, all of my local shops shops and vendors, everything listed on eBay, and from every shop found on Google Shopping I would only be able to find 235 copies. So how did you manage to find "thousands" of copies of a particular card so easily?

Better yet, how exactly do you plan on selling these "thousands" of cards?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #20
Bobby Vang
The Fist of Shadow

Bobby Vang is on a distinguished road

JT, he means like Soul Taker. The card was like 25 cents on Troll and Toad. Buy 500. Now they're 3$. Make large profits.

An example you can do right now. Gigacricket goes for 29 cents, win a YCS with it. Then it goes up in demand due to it being bought it and just won a YCS. Now the card is 3$.

They have 650 in stock atm.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #21
imjtblanton

Arrow

You also said your friend bought thousands of copies of Safe Zone. So, let's say, 3,000 copies? That would be a stack of cards over 5 feet tall, and nothing but Safe Zones. That's enough cards to nearly completely cover the area of a tennis court.

And again, how exactly did he buy and sell them?

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Vang View Post
JT, he means like Soul Taker. The card was like 25 cents on Troll and Toad. Buy 500. Now they're 3$. Make large profits.

An example you can do right now. Gigacricket goes for 29 cents, win a YCS with it. Then it goes up in demand due to it being bought it and just won a YCS. Now the card is 3$.

They have 650 in stock atm.
Yeah, well everything is 20/20 in hindsight. There's no way of ever knowing if a card is going to win a tournament or if it is going to shoot up in value. Plus, Troll and Toad is extremely popular and they advertise all the time. That's why they can sell thousands of cards. How exactly do you, as an individual, plan on selling thousands of copies of a single card?

Besides, you would have paid around $130 for all of those Soul Takers. If you're not a vendor, you could probably sell them for around $1.50 each to a player or a shop, and I see them going for less than $2 a piece for sets of 3 on eBay, giving you a profit of less than $1.40 minus the shipping and hosting the page. In the ridiculously rare case of somebody buying 500 copies of Soul Taker and then selling them all on today's market, you would expect to make just under $600 - not something you could live off of. And do you really think that anybody really did this? I'd bet that $600 that nobody did.

Which brings me back to another question: how exactly do you sell 500 copies of Soul Taker? There's currently 170 copies for sale on eBay from dozens of users, and only about 1 in 3 of those will sell. If you're not a full blown company, how do you expect to move thousands of copies of a single product?

Last edited by imjtblanton : 06-06-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
boots88
hehe boobs

boots88 will become famous soon enough

I think the number was a slight exaggeration on his part, but the idea is there. Say you bough about 20 nova masters when they were $5 and sold them all when they were $20, you just made $300 in profit.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #23
Sick_Samurai_151
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Actually, I'd just like to know how you found thousands of copies of a single card. Let's say I thought Inzektor Hornet's value was going to shoot up because I was planning on winning with it at a major tournament. Because somehow I just know that is going to happen. If I cleared out Troll and Toad, all of the websites listed on TCG Player, everything for sale on Amazon, all of my local shops shops and vendors, everything listed on eBay, and from every shop found on Google Shopping I would only be able to find 235 copies. So how did you manage to find "thousands" of copies of a particular card so easily?

Better yet, how exactly do you plan on selling these "thousands" of cards?
There are PLENTY of venders all over the world that have in stock hundreds of a certain card.

I don't think I need to go into specifics and name 50--100 websites-vendors LOL.

The whole trick is, venders usually are pretty slow in updating prices. So even if you aren't buying thousands, just hundreds, it's still entirely possible to buy out all the stock of a certain card before any of them are aware a card has jumped in price.

And if your trying to sell off what you have invested in, that's even easier. All you have to do is have a good standing eBay account, and make 1 listing, showing that you have many copies for sale. In this scenario, you would need to sell quickly, so just sell your cards at a competitive price, and people will flock to your listing, in addition to getting traffic for your other auctions.

If your selling at lower prices, just juice them in the shipping, hell, nearly everyone on EBay does that anyways.

And by the way, why do you keep referring to ME personally?

Do you want to point to where I said I have done this, because I can't find it?

I'm a full time student and I work a job full time, so this just cannot fit into my schedule at the moment.

The only reason I know so much about the subject, is because I see it as an area that some people can benefit greatly from.
And with enough time and effort, I see it as a process someone will eventually perfect.

By your posts, it seems to me you think this is a massively farfetched idea, when it's clearly not.

If you want to start, go check out the Profiting thread here, it's very informative and a great way to start even making a little extra money.
I'm not saying everyone can become a Yugioh cash cow mogul, I'm just saying it is possible looking at the whole picture (and the MANY aspects of fluctuation in card values.)

Dont even get me started on the people that
buy collections all day, or the international foreign card juicers you see at almost every YCS ROFL.

EDIT :

Even if I was exaggerating the number of cards, you should get the point, it's not very hard to understand.

Last edited by Sick_Samurai_151 : 06-06-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #24
granasaberboy
Pojo Veteran

granasaberboy is on a distinguished road

Way I see it, the OP has two points:

Pros spend money to bling out their decks, on entries, and on accessories. They spend more money than they could get from selling/hustling so they are always bleeding money.

It is difficult to make money unless you are a vendor who dedicates his time to profits only.

People who are competitive dictate the metagame and trends for netdeckers by showing what cards are good. If they can top 8 generally even obscure cards can soar in value (Soul Taker).

Regarding profitting, people on the Profitting/Investing thread can jump in, but sometimes its obvious a theme is getting support (Wind Ups), core cards are dirt cheap (Factory/Hunter), so like people say grab as many as possible. It's not easy or always possible to make 100K because of costs and other limitations, but the point is a couple hundred is easily doable, enough to sustain your interest in the game. Also, CreatorOfthePointsSystem from the Master Scaling thread can attest to other ways to make money from both packs and junk cards.

Finally, arbitrage is the easiest way to make money. Buying at low price and reselling for more is simple if you live in an area with multiple Yugioh playing groups. Even TCGPlayer has articles on this from Ryan Murphy. If he can do it, I can see it being feasible at a local level.

http://yugioh.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=2707
http://yugioh.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=2712
granasaberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
Sick_Samurai_151
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
There's no way of ever knowing if a card is going to win a tournament or if it is going to shoot up in value.
LOLWUT?

That's basically the whole basis of making money in this game.
Someone will always know what card is being teched in a YCS topping-winning deck, whether it be the guy piloting the deck, a close friend of X Pro, or just a random guy who sees his deck list near the last round of the tournament when X pro / guy is doing well.

There are a decent number of people that you can count on to top YCS's, most of the time these tops come consecutively, one after the other, after the other.

If each YCS had completely different people in the Top Spots, I could see your point being valid. But that's not the case, obviously.