Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Strategies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Drakonnas
Prince of Dragons

Drakonnas is on a distinguished road
Default The Official Mermail Discussion Thread - For lack of a Witty Title

[center]Welcome, one and all to the Official Mermail Discussion Thread! I invite you to catch the tour bus, led by everyone's favorite redhead, and explore the Abyss! So far, the Mermail Archtype looks like it works well with the Water Structure deck that is coming out in Japan. Considering that there are two cards that are triple Monster Reborns, they can swarm well. The number 3 brings up many ideas. It makes Poseidra more usable. The other thing that comes to mind are triple tributes like Obelisk the Tormentor. Oh, and did I mention XYZs? Abysscall can singlehandedly get you Ptolemies M7, Photon Streak Bounzer, TerrorByte, Zenmaines, the list goes on and on. So, let's look at them, shall we?

Since these work with the Atlanteans, I'll post a link to the Atlantean thread, rather than attempt to re-say everything they have said.

http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=1050449

MONSTERS

Mermail - Abyssgunde
3 Stars/WATER/Aqua
1400 ATK/800 DEF
If this card is discarded from your hand to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Mermail" monster from your Graveyard, except "Mermail - Abyssgunde". Only one "Mermail - Abyssgunde" can have its effect activated per turn.

Mermail - Abyssgunde midgitates discarding costs, by summoning a "Mermail" Monster from your graveyard. It's a Salvage target. What else do you want? What's that? An instant win condition? Sorry, that's not gonna happen. Probably.

Mermail - Abyssghilde
3 Stars/WATER/Aqua
1400 ATK/800 DEF
If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Mermail" monster from your Hand, except "Mermail - Abysshilde". Only one "Mermail - Abysshilde" can have its effect activated per turn.

Mermail - Abyssghilde sounds a lot like Dandylion. It doesn't care how it is sent to the graveyard. As long as it is sent to the grave, you can special summon a Mermail from your hand. Sounds useful, huh? They have a level 6, which might be a good target for him.

Mermail - Abysspike
4 Stars/WATER/Fish
1600 ATK/800 DEF
When this card is Normal or Flip Summoned: You can discard a WATER monster to the Graveyard; add 1 Level 3 or lower WATER monster from your Deck to your hand. Only 1 "Mermail Abysspike" can have its effect activated per turn.

Mermail - Abysspike. Does this remind anyone of a certain elemental hero? Spike is a discard outlet for Abyssgghilde and Abyssgunde. It's attack points aren't the best, and it won't survive many battles. It's not salvageable. But it is a searcher. And searchers are good.

Mermail - Abyssturgeon
4 Stars/WATER/Fish
1700 ATK/1100 DEF
When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can discard 1 WATER monster to target 1 Level 3 or lower WATER monster in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand. The effect of "Mermail - Abyssturgeon" can only be activated once per turn.

Mermail - Abyssturgeon is a walking Monster Reincarnation with a level and type restriction. Great for reusing Abyssghilde and Abyssgunde. It can bring back Deep Sea Diva as well. 1700 ATK is a little better than 1600, but it's nothing to write home about.

Abyss Soldier
4 Stars/Water/Aqua
1800 ATK/1300 DEF
Once per turn, by discarding 1 WATER monster to the Graveyard, return 1 card on the field to its owner's hand.

Abyss Soldier is the original Abyss Monster, and it works well with the above cards, mitigating the cost for his effect by swarming. He allows for rank 4 xyz with one of their traps...

Mermail - Megaloabyss
7 Stars/WATER/Sea Serpent
2400 ATK/1900 DEF
During your Main Phase: You can discard 2 WATER monsters from your hand, except this card; Special Summon this card. If this card is Special Summoned this way, add 1 "Abyss" Spell or Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. You can tribute 1 face-up Attack Position WATER monster you control, except this card; this card can attack twice during each Battle Phase during this turn.

Mermail - Megaloabyss will activate Abyssghilde and Abyssgunde. However, it is a large minus, although Abyssgunde will mitigate the large minus you'll take. Also, you will be able to search your deck for a spell or trap card, something that's almost unheard of in YuGiOh. Testing will still need to determine how effective this will be.

EXTRA DECK MONSTERS

Mermail - Gaioabyss
Rank 7/WATER/Aqua
2800 ATK/1600 DEF
2 Level 7 WATER monsters.

While this face-up card has Xyz Material, your opponent cannot attack with Level 5 or higher monster. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card... {negate the effects of a monster your opponent controls that has less ATK than or equal to this card's ATK.}

Can you say impressive? Looks like a Shi-En for monsters. It has the magic 2800 attack that ties with REDMD, Scrap Dragon, and other common bosses. Speaking of REDMD... this guy seems a really troublesome card for Chaos Dragons to get over. Poseidra, Megaloabyss, both are level seven, and can make this guy.

SPELLS AND TRAPS

Abyssfear
Continuous Trap Card

Special Summon 1 "Mermail" monster from your Deck. The effects of the Special Summoned monster are negated. While this card is on the field, you cannot activate Spell Cards. When this card leaves the field, destroy that monster. Destroy this card during your opponent's next End Phase after activation.

Special summon from the deck? Via a trap card? Hmm.... Seems interesting. It does have balancing restrictions on it, however. We'll see how used this is.

Abysscall
Normal Trap Card
Special Summon 3 "Mermail" monsters from Graveyard in face-up Defense Position, but their effect(s) is negated, they cannot declared an attack, and they are destroy during the End Phase.

Is it just me? Or do we now have 2 triple Monster Reborns? This card allows lots of major plays. It makes Poseidra easier to summon, and it allows triple tribute monsters to be easier to use. But will they be used? Maybe in fun decks, but they would be more inconsistent than other methods. It's a great card. Hell, it's searchable!

Abysscale - Kraken
Equip Spell Card
Equip only to a "Mermail" monster. The equipped monster gains 400 ATK. When an Effect Monster your opponent controls activates an effect, you can negate that effect and destroy it, then destroy this card.

Did... Did we just get... a searchable effect negator? That also destroys the monster who's effect it negates? It's very anti inzektor, that's for sure. This card is amazing...

OP under construction

Yugioh Decks --- Vanguard Decks

Inzektors --- DotE
Watts --- Shamsiel
Frognarch --- Tachikaze
X-Sabers --- DKVBT
Gishki OTK/Burn --- Bermuda Triangle

Last edited by Drakonnas : 05-18-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
13DaK
Mystified

13DaK is on a distinguished road

First? And subbing - this archetype looks to be very interesting. Can't wait to try them out, although I will wait until they're on DN to do so. No mention of the Atlanteans in the new structure deck?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Drakonnas
Prince of Dragons

I mentioned them in the beginning. "So far, the Mermail Archtype looks like it works well with the Water Structure deck that is coming out in Japan."

I'm prolly gonna wait 'till they are on DN as well.

Inzektors --- DotE
Watts --- Shamsiel
Frognarch --- Tachikaze
X-Sabers --- DKVBT

Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Pumpknight
YGO Lit 101

Pumpknight is on a distinguished road

OP looks very pretty.

Well done/sub a dub dub

Skilled Decks:
*Insert decks that lose all of the time*

Unskilled Decks:
*Insert decks that win all of the time*

^^^^Twisted Keyblade = <3^^^^
Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Podoboo
Witty Veteran

Podoboo is on a distinguished road

Lurking in the depths.

Should the two OPs link back to each other? It would make sense if we had a little section dedicated to the other archtype if they do end up working together. It'd be easier than doubling up on all the support either side has, and better than assuming they know both.

Should Abyss Soldier be in here? Just 'cause?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Pumpknight
YGO Lit 101

Pumpknight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podoboo View Post
Lurking in the depths.

Should the two OPs link back to each other? It would make sense if we had a little section dedicated to the other archtype if they do end up working together. It'd be easier than doubling up on all the support either side has, and better than assuming they know both.

Sure, I'll put a link to our allies (or enemies...?) in the Atlantean OP.

Skilled Decks:
*Insert decks that lose all of the time*

Unskilled Decks:
*Insert decks that win all of the time*

^^^^Twisted Keyblade = <3^^^^
Old 05-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Ewig Infernaler

........ is on a distinguished road

Subbin, this theme has a lot of potential, can this theme combine with the upcoming water structure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by red eyes magician View Post
whats 4chan?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Drakonnas
Prince of Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpknight View Post
OP looks very pretty.

Well done/sub a dub dub
Thank you, sir! I'm new at creating guides, so I tried to make it look good. As for the content, I know it can be improved on. So if you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them!

Additional Comment:

Quote:
Lurking in the depths.

Yes, that's a great idea. I'll do that immediately.

Our two guides working hand in hand, should be more effective.

And, yes, adding Abyss Soldier now.

Inzektors --- DotE
Watts --- Shamsiel
Frognarch --- Tachikaze
X-Sabers --- DKVBT

Last edited by Drakonnas : 05-16-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Podoboo
Witty Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ........ View Post
Subbin, this theme has a lot of potential, can this theme combine with the upcoming water structure?
That's literally the third sentence in the OP.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Drakonnas
Prince of Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ........ View Post

Yes sir, they can! And by the looks of it, they are supposed to.

Inzektors --- DotE
Watts --- Shamsiel
Frognarch --- Tachikaze
X-Sabers --- DKVBT

Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Kenai
Mymomworks4Konami

Kenai is on a distinguished road

Abyssgunde cannot be searched by Deep Sea Diva.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
lamal72

lamal72 is on a distinguished road

Subbing!more power to the creatures of the deep!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
Podoboo
Witty Veteran

Too many Aquas. That's one of the reasons I'm not certain how much synergy these things will actually have together. None of these guys are targets for Diva, Armsman, or the Riders if that effect proves to be true.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
thecicada
Witch of Miracles

thecicada is on a distinguished road

subbed, just dont try anything ******* nooby like slifer and barbaros and **** that is for fun and not competitive.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
Satchmo
Yung Négro Ketchum

Satchmo is a jewel in the roughSatchmo is a jewel in the roughSatchmo is a jewel in the rough

I'm here now as well...
Originally Posted by Victinious View Post
You seem to act as if Satch cares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jones View Post
Holy ****. Someone with actual intelligence?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
Podoboo
Witty Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecicada View Post
subbed, just dont try anything ******* nooby like slifer and barbaros and **** that is for fun and not competitive.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing a game for fun. In fact I'd argue if you aren't doing something for fun, you're doing it wrong.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
Satchmo
Yung Négro Ketchum

Satchmo is a jewel in the roughSatchmo is a jewel in the roughSatchmo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecicada View Post
How the hell is dropping a 3k field nuker or a GOD, nooby?

You need to play for fun more.
Quote:
Old 05-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
nova_zz_

nova_zz_ is on a distinguished road

honestly i'm not too interested in mermail, they're too archetype-based, atlanteans are way more versatile

subbing anyway
Old 05-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
thecicada
Witch of Miracles

thecicada is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing a game for fun. In fact I'd argue if you aren't doing something for fun, you're doing it wrong.
How the hell is aimlessly making a deck fail fun?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #20
Podoboo
Witty Veteran

You obviously have never made an aimlessly fail deck before. Stuff's lulzy. I've made a Masked Chopper deck before. One of my favorite decks I personally own is just a bunch of random crap thrown together with semi-synergy.

But that aside, that isn't even what you said. Look, if you're just here to get a topping deck, I suggest you check the latest Inzektor discussion instead, or wait until everything is confirmed at least. We're here for interest in the archtype, be it flavor or feel. Why don't you just wait until Sunday after Philly to decide what deck you should be building.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #21
FrostRhymez

FrostRhymez is on a distinguished road

I kinda like all the new archetypes , Go konami !
Old 05-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #22
Satchmo
Yung Négro Ketchum

Quote:
You obviously have never made an aimlessly fail deck before. Stuff's lulzy. I've made a Masked Chopper deck before. One of my favorite decks I personally own is just a bunch of random crap thrown together with semi-synergy.
This. I make silly ass decks all the time.

Quote:
But that aside, that isn't even what you said. Look, if you're just here to get a topping deck, I suggest you check the latest Inzektor discussion instead, or wait until everything is confirmed at least. We're here for interest in the archtype, be it flavor or feel. Why don't you just wait until Sunday after Philly to decide what deck you should be building.
In addition, keep in mind until we see everything, we don't even know how good these are.
Quote:
Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #23
Podoboo
Witty Veteran

They feel like they'll - and I'm sorry I keep making this comparison - like they'll be the Fableds to Atlantean's Dark Worlds. Both good, both looking like they'll work together, in reality they share support but don't do well in the same deck except for maybe a few certain cards.

They'll certainly be fun. But I'll wait for a bit more info before dedicating to build anything with them. I'm certainly loyal to Atlanteans over them, but if no one on my team wants these guys, I'll be happy to build 'em.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
penguinmaster35
Cute things only!

penguinmaster35 is on a distinguished road

Indeed. The potential is here for them once we get some more info. Atlanteans may work here or like wise.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
Podoboo
Witty Veteran

Soon the sea shall rise and all shall be consumed.
Closed Thread