Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Miscellaneous Deck Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
bmtrocks
Pojo Veteran

bmtrocks is on a distinguished road
Default After Xyz and Synchro - What's next?

I had this discussion with a friend of mine as I'm wondering really what else could Konami add to that game to really do some crazy ****. Xyz are the first cards that require you to stack cards on top of each other, so something completely random could come up. These are the most likely major card types I could see coming in the future:

Deck Masters - These could be like a combination of a field spell and a Planeswalker from MTG. The idea here is that every deck has his own Deck Master, which you place above your deck visible on the field at the start of the game. The Deck Master is a monster, but cannot be destroyed. The purpose of the deck master is to give you pluses based on certain conditions you can fulfill, such as: "Once per turn: If you special summon more than 3 times, draw 2 cards." There could also be an evolution system that allows your Deck Master to ascend to different levels.

Dual-Faced Cards - I believe Duel Master introduced this, and now we have these in MTG. YGO is the king of being a big card game that is influenced by MTG, so it would be no surprise to me to see this happen. Dual-Faced (or DUEL-Faced? *wink wink*) cards would be any type of card that has two sides to it. Effect, Tuners, Spells, Traps, Synchro, Xyz, Ritual, Dual-Faced cards could be anything, and possibly a hybrid (flip a monster to reveal a trap, for example). Kind of like Deck Masters, you have to fulfill certain conditions to flip them over and activate their powerful effects.

Hybrid Cards - Cards that just say "**** it." and fuse various card types together, mainly in the extra deck. Synchro/Xyz could be cards that have to overlay into one tuner and one non-tuner who's level equal to the rank of the card. Xyz/Fusions could require two specific monsters, fused with a special version of Polymerization, that you use to overlay over a powerful monster. Etc. etc. You get the idea.

Any ideas, suggestions, and possible concepts would be nice. I'd like to hear people's thoughts and opinions on how the game could change overtime.
bmtrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
AveryCates
Pojo Veteran

AveryCates is on a distinguished road

I love the deckmaster idea. It was already introduced in the anime - last season, first series?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie17 View Post
You rock. That's all there is to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseplaysyugioh View Post
Can Konami please make a Dark, Winged-Beast, Level 6, that has the exact same effect as Brionac, except put the word "Blackwing" in its name.
AveryCates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Salamander

Salamander is on a distinguished road

Seeing XYZ, perhaps ABC. Though it would sound completely wierd saying: "Ok, now i ABC summon (Insert card name)!
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
AcselOfDarkness
Dark Acceptance

AcselOfDarkness is on a distinguished road

Interesting choice of forum...

I don't care what we get but personally I'd like a new type of spell or trap. We've had new monster types introduced all the time yet no new spell or trap types.

Mental Seeker Stall/Deck Out
Psychic Norleras
YouTube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by petqwe View Post
Pojo should add an upvote button for you.
AcselOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Camero
Hipsteroid

Camero is just really niceCamero is just really niceCamero is just really niceCamero is just really nice

Why does it have to be a monster? Why not a new kind of card besides Spell and Trap?

New to the game? Want to get better? Read this article!
http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=1167007

This is definitely not a shameless plug for my CAC set!
http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=1149606
Camero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
AlphaTheNeko
Catgirl Obsessed !

AlphaTheNeko is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure i get the Dual-face down card idea. is it basically have a card on both sides of the card ? At which point it wouldn't work because sleeves block the back view.

Deck Master however would be awesome. Rainbow colored monster card ?

And yes. New kinda Spell/Trap please. But what to call it ? Curse ?
Originally Posted by Pumpknight View Post
Ah...Balanced and Tier 1...We meet again.
AlphaTheNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
bmtrocks
Pojo Veteran

bmtrocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaTheNeko View Post
I'm not sure i get the Dual-face down card idea. is it basically have a card on both sides of the card ? At which point it wouldn't work because sleeves block the back view.
You would just use a placeholder card or some type of reference sheet like you do in MTG. Or you could just use clear sleeves.
bmtrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
AlphaTheNeko
Catgirl Obsessed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtrocks View Post
You would just use a placeholder card or some type of reference sheet like you do in MTG. Or you could just use clear sleeves.
Clear sleeves are illegal in tournaments.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Camero
Hipsteroid

Camero is just really niceCamero is just really niceCamero is just really niceCamero is just really nice

Quote:
Clear sleeves are illegal in tournaments.
If it became an extra deck card this would not be an issue.

New to the game? Want to get better? Read this article!
http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=1167007

This is definitely not a shameless plug for my CAC set!
http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=1149606
Camero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
AlphaTheNeko
Catgirl Obsessed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero View Post
If it became an extra deck card this would not be an issue.
That is correct
Old 04-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
markyguila
MiseriaCantare

markyguila is on a distinguished road

Hand traps a la Effect Veiler, except they function as normal traps otherwise

Oh and make them red. I want my red cards
markyguila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
soraace7

soraace7 is on a distinguished road

Id rather them help support all the previous summoning methods and mechanics before moving onto something else, we've already got 2 new types of summons within around 4 years.
soraace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
goldbakura123
Nimble Time!

goldbakura123 is on a distinguished road

After XYZ? Probably revamping old archetypes, and throwing us a few new ones....doubt we will be seeing any new mechanics in the near future....especially since Zexal is ALLEGEDLY the last series related to YGO that Takahashi will do (again ALLEGEDLY....he said the same thing about 5ds though)....

Additional Comment:

Some things I would like to see from this game.....mechanic wise:

MORE dual attribute monsters
More dual attribute deck combinations (like Chaos but with other attributes such as Water/Fire, Wind/Dark, etc...)
Quickplay SPELL monsters (I guess Scapegoat, and Fires of Doomsday sorta fill this role)...
An archetype dedicated to switching your cards in your hand with your opponents (like Exchange)
Deck Master Format
EDH Format
MORE Sealed Formats
Dual Type Monsters
Transformation Cards (Like in MTG)

Last edited by goldbakura123 : 04-06-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
goldbakura123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
AlphaTheNeko
Catgirl Obsessed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbakura123 View Post
MORE dual attribute monsters
(like Chaos but with other attributes such as Water/Fire, Wind/Dark, etc...)
LOL i just had a funny picture of Winda, Priestess of Gusto & Gishki Ariel fighting each other and refusing to fuse together XD

But yeah, i want that to happen so much.

Quote:
Deck Master Format
This needs to happen. Weather for cards that are only for Deck Master, or they give a printable list of monsters and what their DM effects are.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
AhhGoodTimes
Djinn of Rituals

AhhGoodTimes will become famous soon enough

No new monster type. Just support all mechanics equally to put the game at it's pinacle of variety. More variety -> more interesting format -> more fun tournaments/duels -> $$$. In addition catering to people's nostalgia -> $$$.

Supports for old mechanics could include:
- Fusions made by fusing Spells and Traps like The Legendary Dragons from the Waking the Dragon's arc
- Ways to Ritual Summon w/o levels similar to Gishki's Duplicate Soul Mirror except not as suckish. I imagine a Ritual Spell than can summon any Spellcaster Ritual by removing Spell Counters equal to its level.
- Methods for decks to have all 4 monster types (Ritual, Fusion, Synchro, Xyz) but perhaps not to the point of making Sophia broken. Make them work together such as Synchro Fusions or Xyz monsters requiring two Rituals.
AhhGoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #16
Weapon X
Pojo Veteran

Weapon X is on a distinguished road

Quote:
LOL i just had a funny picture of Winda, Priestess of Gusto & Gishki Ariel fighting each other and refusing to fuse together XD

But yeah, i want that to happen so much.

This needs to happen. Weather for cards that are only for Deck Master, or they give a printable list of monsters and what their DM effects are.
If that happens Judge Man will skyrocket in price and day later will be emergency banned, anybody that seen that episode will know why I'm saying this.

Everyone in this World lives hiding behind a mask give it enough time you'll see the person for who they truly are.

Yugi Thread
Game Thread
Weapon X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
ChaosDark
Pojo Veteran

ChaosDark is on a distinguished road

Maybe the Dual-Faced might be made like:

Effect when right-side up goes here
INVERSE:Effect then up-side down goes here

That could work

I like my weapons as I like my music. Heavy and Metal
Mordekaiser

Main Decks
Fire Fist | Scraps | Gladiator Beast
ChaosDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #18
Kenai
Mymomworks4Konami

Kenai is on a distinguished road

I think that the game developers should have slowed down with some of the monster effects. There is a perfect opportunity for "Evolution" cards to be viable. Unfortunately, "LV" monsters, the "Evol" archetype, and many other monsters already demonstrate what you would imagine this card type would.

Evolution cards have intense red backgrounds. They are indicated by the "Evolution" denoting in the card type (Example: Pyro/Evolution/Effect).

Evolution cards are put in the Extra Deck.

Not all Evolution cards will be monster cards. This will be the first time that non-Monster Cards will be included in the Extra Deck. Evolution Spell and Evolution Trap cards will become a sub-type of Spell and Trap cards, much like the already existing sub-type of Quick-Play, Ritual, Continuous, etc., and will contain their own unique emblem.

How are they used? Well, when an Evolution monster is Special Summoned from your Extra Deck, it is called an Evolution Summon. When an Evolution Spell or Trap card is activated from your Extra Deck, it is treated as the activation of a Spell or Trap card.

Evolution cards may only be activated when a certain condition is fulfilled. For example:

"You may send 1 "Magical Citadel of Endymion" that has 6 or more Spell Counters on it to activate this card (from your Extra Deck)."

"You may send 1 "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" you control to the Graveyard to Evolution Summon this card (from your Extra Deck)."

"You may send 1 "Swords of Revealing Light" you control to the Graveyard to activate this card (from your Extra Deck)."

"You may send 1 Level 4 or lower Reptile-type monster you control to the Graveyard to Evolution Summon this card (from your Extra Deck).

Maybe it's too generic. I dunno. Maybe I should just narrow it down to Monster Cards. But I don't think this is my best idea. I'm gonna tweak it down to Monster Cards only, probably.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #19
Sephirot
Local Assassin

Sephirot is on a distinguished road

How about the manga's Virus type cards? yes i know they made them traps but what if?
Sephirot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #20
Podoboo
Witty Veteran

Podoboo is on a distinguished road

No more extra deck things. For the love of Ra no more stuff in the extra deck.

Main things that Konami gives us:
New mechanics (Inzektors) that are really just variants of old mechanics (Dragunities, Unions)
Creature sub-types (unions, toons, spirits, gemini) that never last enough to have a real impact except for a few that are usable in other places (Kinka-Byo, Neos Alius, Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon)
New stuff to go in the extra deck (rarer, but this is most certainly the direction Yugioh is now going in; no other game really utilizes something like this, so it's what separates us from others)

What we'd really like to see:
New spell/trap card types
New cards that go in the main deck.

Unfortunately, the way things are set up, we can't just introduce a new type of "card" that would be in addition to Monsters, Spells and Traps. Let's say we now have some new thing that goes in your backrow, like Magic's Artifacts, and that it can do things once a turn at some cost or something like that... Nothing can get rid of it. It would have to become a new type of Spell or Trap, otherwise you couldn't MST things so easily anymore.

I like the idea of new Spells and Traps subtypes. But what else could they give us? Honestly, if Ritual cards are their own things, I think we should retcon all fusion cards and give them their own type (Fusion Spell would be the obvious one). Makes it easier to support things that way, so instead of saying something awkward like "Search Polymerization or any card with Fusion in its name except this, that or those" it could simply be, "Search for a Fusion Spell card." This also doesn't prevent future support from being included because of a name. The only places this would pose a problem? Super Polymerization, and traps that fuse (there are a couple, right? Chain Material and those two Gem-Knight traps?) We could, if we really wanted to, make Fusion traps, as well. But Super Poly would be kinda stuck as not being supported, being a quickplay, and all. It would take more to get it to conform (make it a Fusion but include in its text that it can be played like a quick-play).

Also, what about Counter Spells? Worth giving a thought to. Would be interesting to see some situation where you could have another card besides a Counter Trap that's Spell Speed 3.
Podoboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #21
Richard91
Pojo Veteran

Richard91 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
"You may send 1 "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" you control to the Graveyard to Evolution Summon this card (from your Extra Deck)."
(from your Extra Deck).
I know it's not quite the same thing, but that's sort of like a Malefic. Except sending the normal from deck to grave and summoning from hand.

Creating some more Malefic stuff would be nice. I wanted Malefic Dark Magician.
Richard91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #22
elite gaymer
Guatemalan Hipster

elite gaymer is on a distinguished road

Deck Master idea is the most logical one i see happening.

I really just want them to put ritual monsters in the extra deck.
elite gaymer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #23
galamoth193

galamoth193 is on a distinguished road

Ok, what about Advanced Spells? These would be cards that can only be activated by removing determined spells or traps from your graveyard. That way we could recycle them. For example:

Dark Storm:
This card can only be activated by removing from your graveyard 1 Dark Hole and 1 Heavy storm. Destroy all cards in the field.

Pure Gold Sarcophagus:
This card can only be activated by removing from your graveyard 2 Gold Sarcophagus. Target one card on your deck. Add it to your hand.

Pot of Blessing:
This card can only be activated by removing from your graveyard 1 Pot of Duality and 1 Upstart Goblin. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck, and add two of them to your hand. Then shuffle your deck.

Dimensional Chaos:
This card can only be activated by removing 1 Dimensional Fissure and 1 Macro Cosmos from your graveyard. Banish all cards in both graveyards.
galamoth193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #24
asdfth12

asdfth12 is on a distinguished road

I like that idea. Just add a remove from deck to it, and I'd support it.

Other spell idea's.

Artifact of Greed
This card can only be activated by removing from your deck or graveyard 3 Shard of Greed. Draw 4 cards.

Banner of Unity
This card can only be activated by removing from your deck or graveyard 1 Banner of Courage and 1 United We Stand. During your battle phrase, increase the atk of the equipped moster by 1000 for each monster you control.

Accomplished Goblin
This card can only be activated by removing from your deck or graveyard 2 Upstart Goblin. Draw one card from your deck. Your opponent gains 2000 lifepoints.

Mystical Storm
This card can only be activated by removing from your deck or graveyard 1 Heavy Storm and 1 Mystical Space Typhoon. This card cannot be negated. Destroy all spell and traps cards on the field.

Soul Eradicator
This card can only be activated by removing from your deck or graveyard 2 Soul Taker. Remove from play 1 monster on the field, and remove from your opponents deck any monsters of the same name. Your opponent gains 1000 lifepoints for each monster removed from play.

Eternal Soul Eradicator
This card can only be activated by removing from your deck or graveyard 3 Soul Taker. Remove from play 1 monster on the field, and remove from your and your opponents deck any monsters of the same name. Your opponent gains 1000 lifepoints for each monster removed from play.

Heavy Storm of Destruction
This card can only be activated by removing from you deck or graveyard 2 Meteor of Destruction and 1 Heavy Storm. Destroy all spell and trap cards on the field. Your opponent loses 500 lifepoints for each card destroyed.

Edit

How about we get some advanced spells that use traps as the activation cost?
DN - asdfth13

Last edited by asdfth12 : 05-27-2012 at 04:24 PM.
asdfth12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #25
galamoth193

galamoth193 is on a distinguished road

What about new archetypes? For example, Ghost archetype. These are monsters that cant be selected as attack targets, but they have a downside. If there is a ghost monster in your field yout opponent can attack your lp directly. However there can be cards that support them and even a field that negates its negative eff.

Or maybe a new archetype "Kamikaze", these can attack your own monsters, and they effects would trigger when "destroyed by battle by a monster you control" or only "destroyed by battle". This would also help cards like Sangan to activate faster, however they could only attack your own face-up monsters, or some flip eff monsters would become broken.
galamoth193 is offline   Reply With Quote