Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG Article Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
jeremylin
Pojo Veteran

jeremylin is on a distinguished road
Default Has Yugioh become TOO broken?

I saw this in another forum, and I thought it was a good read and it made a lot of sense. Tell me what you think about it.

original source

MysticJhn said
Now, this game has always been about getting to your best monsters before the other guy.
That's pretty basic strategy, get out your main monster with the good effect, and crush the opponent.
First one to the finish line wins the duel.
And as this game progressed, this started being done faster and faster.
Soon, if you didn't swarm first or second turn, you lost.
But that's not good enough anymore.
Now you not only have to swarm, but swarm with boss monsters.

I sat on DN before in a duel, and yes they have cards on there not yet released and won't be for a while,
but it was preposterous.
Summon.
Special Summon.
Xyz Summon.
Special Summon.
Special Summon.
Another Xyz.
Special Summon.
etc.

I sat there bewildered at what I can only assume was about 15 straight summons before they crushed my single card field.
Massive crazy effects going on back and forth, playing at a speed at which I gave up trying to read the effects and just assumed they weren't cheating.
Now I know my Deck wasn't even close to competition level, but this was insane.
Every monster can swarm the field by itself, then destroy something, then have a decent attack.

Makes me think that perhaps this game has hit a point of no return with the speed and power of these cards far exceeding anything previously.

The other day, as I was in control of the field ATK wise, they played 1 monster and knocked me down.
A simple Level 5 monster, the only monster they controlled, had 4000 ATK.
Why?
Because it's effect allowed it to have ATK equal to half my LP at the time of it's Summon, which was the full 8000.
Why is a Level 5 monster powerful enough to run over my Level 8 Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon with plenty of ATK to spare?
When did this game get so crazy unbalanced that a Level 5 monster can be that strong?

I think the problem lies with Konami.
In order to force us to buy new cards, they keep releasing cards that are more powerful than their predecessors in effect to the point where older cards are obsolete.
They did that in GX, then did it again in 5Ds, and now are doing it again in this ZeXal era.
The problem with this is, every time they feel compelled to one-up themselves, the card effects become exponentially more powerful than ever before.

Look at your oldest effect monsters.
Usually they have 1 simple effect, that does 1 or 2 simple things, and they tend to pay for it by having a lower ATK/DEF.
Now compare that to a monster of the same level that's coming out in the next couple sets.
There is a drastic difference.

Then there's the Extra Deck.
It used to be home to your biggest, baddest boss monsters.
The ones your whole Deck was geared to getting out that could win the game for you.
Now look at it.
It's a cheap toolbox of overpowered monsters.
You played a single Tour Guide and bust out a beatstick with an awesome effect that you got to SS without even drawing it.

I'm starting to feel like Yu-Gi-Oh has gotten to a point where it's so self broken, it's hit the point where it needs to implode like a sun.
Effects are too strong, individual monsters have too many of them, and being an effect monster has no downside like a low ATK.
Every single card is a brutal play, then your opponent's turn comes, they wipe out your whole field, and it's their turn to SS 40,000 times.

This game perhaps needs a Yu-Gi-Oh TCG 2, start fresh, start balanced, and stop releasing cards that are infitely one-upmanship of last season's.

Last edited by jeremylin : 03-24-2012 at 10:43 PM.
jeremylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Mark Howard
DFTBA ( ・へ・)

Mark Howard is on a distinguished road

You know something's horribly wrong when every set has been totally changing the meta, and to the point where nothing but Zexal-era decks are even remotely competitively viable. I hate to say it, but Yugioh really does need a Reboot. Hell, we already have a block rotation right now, in the sense that all of the decks you once loved are unplayable garbage now.
If you wanna look pro, you gotta play like you're a drunk lumberjack. Put your deck sideways, upside-down, diagonal, in the field card zone, outside the mat, on the opponent's mat, HEY! That's what the pros do, man!

Last edited by Mark Howard : 03-03-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Mark Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
darkcrab
Pojo Veteran

darkcrab is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Howard View Post
You know something's horribly wrong when every set has been totally changing the meta, and to the point where nothing but Zexal-era decks are even remotely competitively viable. I hate to say it, but Yugioh really does need a Reboot. Hell, we already have a block rotation right now, in the sense that all of the decks you once loved are unplayable garbage now.
I wouldn't go typing that around here, lotsa folk still think theres no set rotation here, even if every deck pre Zexal is near trash now competetiv wise :P.

But meh, thats ygo, ill always have DN so i don't need to pay a dime and even watch the horror known as thier general chat.
darkcrab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
SolarLunar

SolarLunar is on a distinguished road

"MTG sux cause it has set rotation"
Pffwa, at least Magic is honest about it's set rotation.

A Reboot is an interesting idea, but one that will never win popularity points. Who wants to start from scratch? Definitely not Konami.

Last edited by SolarLunar : 03-03-2012 at 01:51 PM.
SolarLunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Sister Princess
↓ must die

Sister Princess is on a distinguished road

Fun fact: Yugioh is already broken since 1999.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
SCTyran
Learning the Ropes

SCTyran is on a distinguished road

All of these threads about how YGO is broken sounds to me like a bunch of sore losers who take the game WAY too seriously.
SCTyran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
SirDragonite
Digimon Obsessed

SirDragonite is a jewel in the roughSirDragonite is a jewel in the roughSirDragonite is a jewel in the roughSirDragonite is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTyran View Post
All of these threads about how YGO is broken sounds to me like a bunch of sore losers who take the game WAY too seriously.
I agree with this. Hell, I barely spend money on this game anymore. I just play DN.
SirDragonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
DIYDeath
Why So Serious?

DIYDeath is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDragonite View Post
I agree with this. Hell, I barely spend money on this game anymore. I just play DN.
Then this doesn't really apply to you. You get "free" cards and play for free vs people who get the same benefits.
If something is broken you can use it without investing anything but time and creativity.
DIYDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
SirDragonite
Digimon Obsessed

SirDragonite is a jewel in the roughSirDragonite is a jewel in the roughSirDragonite is a jewel in the roughSirDragonite is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYDeath View Post
Then this doesn't really apply to you. You get "free" cards and play for free vs people who get the same benefits.
If something is broken you can use it without investing anything but time and creativity.
I know. I'm too casual IRL. The best deck I have is Dark World of all things.
SirDragonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
DIYDeath
Why So Serious?

I've boycotted konami and support the petition.
I don't even play on DN anymore, it's just not fun or fair with all these broken decks running around.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
Mark Howard
DFTBA ( ・へ・)

Mark Howard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTyran View Post
Automatic loss = I'm just being a sore loser? I suppose if I kill your entire family and it makes you sad, you're just a crybaby.
If you wanna look pro, you gotta play like you're a drunk lumberjack. Put your deck sideways, upside-down, diagonal, in the field card zone, outside the mat, on the opponent's mat, HEY! That's what the pros do, man!
Mark Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
DIYDeath
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Automatic loss = I'm just being a sore loser? I suppose if I kill your entire family and it makes you sad, you're just a crybaby.
You sir, deserve a medal for this comment.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
Grynhild
Good art bad card

Grynhild is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremylin View Post
The other day, as I was in control of the field ATK wise, they played 1 monster and knocked me down.
A simple Level 5 monster, the only monster they controlled, had 4000 ATK.
Why?
Because it's effect allowed it to have ATK equal to half my LP at the time of it's Summon, which was the full 8000.
Why is a Level 5 monster powerful enough to run over my Level 8 Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon with plenty of ATK to spare?
When did this game get so crazy unbalanced that a Level 5 monster can be that strong?
Lol, the guy thinks that Endless Decay is broken, i wonder how he will react after seeing things like Inzektors.
Grynhild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
CED-EOTE<3

CED-EOTE<3 is on a distinguished road

Competitively, yes. Decks are autopilot and just too overpowered. Advantage is too easily generated, often by one card. With rescue rabbit, we may as well unban Pot of Greed. That way, at least all players have an easy +1 in their decks, rather than rich people only.
CED-EOTE<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
Gaspar
Title Not Included

Gaspar is a glorious beacon of lightGaspar is a glorious beacon of lightGaspar is a glorious beacon of lightGaspar is a glorious beacon of lightGaspar is a glorious beacon of light

I did laugh at the part where the guy ranted about Endless Decay.
...Even though yes, it is a little busted if you watch it from the old-school perspective.
Gaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
SameSongNDance

SameSongNDance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You sir, deserve a medal for this comment.
Yeah he definitely deserves a medal for trying to compare losing a Yu-Gi-Oh! duel to killing someone's family after being accused of taking the game too seriously.
SameSongNDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #17
Sky Scourge
EverythingToGrave

Sky Scourge is on a distinguished road

Lavals are pretty awesome
Sky Scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #18
Gaspar
Title Not Included

Gaspar is a glorious beacon of lightGaspar is a glorious beacon of lightGaspar is a glorious beacon of lightGaspar is a glorious beacon of lightGaspar is a glorious beacon of light

...If you draw Rekindling.
Gaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #19
SInge
Kin~ni Shinobi

SInge is on a distinguished road

The game fluxes to easily. Ban/Restriction List doesn't work with the game but against it.

As new cards come out, it can turn the game into a whole new frontier.

Konami tries to fix one problem then 2+ new problems pop up.

Even some old cards which were once shunned as weak just easily jump to the top as some of the best made, Cold Wave.
http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread...9#post16586469
Test the Special Summoning Restriction rule.
SInge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #20
DIYDeath
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameSongNDance View Post
Yeah he definitely deserves a medal for trying to compare losing a Yu-Gi-Oh! duel to killing someone's family after being accused of taking the game too seriously.
If you don't see why the comment was made then you need to just stop posting. period.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #21
Chaos Li

Chaos Li is on a distinguished road

I like a comment i've read on a thread similar to this one that says old cards on the ban list shoul've released now the game has evolved and catched up to their power.

I think cards like Chaos Emperor Dragon wouldn't be that big of a menace now, specially with stuff like Wind-Ups on the game.
Chaos Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
DIYDeath
Why So Serious?

Dear god. CED cannot come back, it does what an entire wind-up loop does, alone and if you run hopeless dragon then you can end your turn with 2-3 REDMD dragons on the field after you've decimated your opponents hand, field and life points.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #23
Chaos Li

Chaos Li is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dear god. CED cannot come back, it does what an entire wind-up loop does, alone and if you run hopeless dragon then you can end your turn with 2-3 REDMD dragons on the field after you've decimated your opponents hand, field and life points.
I guess it's a similar case with Yata-Garasu, a format changing card, his prescence alon will raise the use of Battle Fader, Gorz, Tragoedia and stuff like that xDU
Chaos Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #24
SCTyran
Learning the Ropes

SCTyran is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You know, I can understand that people would get frustated with decks that can easily beat them. But whining won't solve anything. The banlist is like 30 cards that you can't use/restricted out of 6000+ cards released. There has to be a way to make a deck that would help against these competetive ones. It just hasn't been found yet.
SCTyran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #25
Inori Yuzuriha

Inori Yuzuriha is on a distinguished road

Yes, some cards are simply dramatically overpowered when the go to combo with others, and they're not even limited now
Inori Yuzuriha is offline   Reply With Quote