Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh Large-Scale Tournament Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Glomp Panda
The Agent of Fluff

Default How to prepare for a large-scale tournament

This thread is dedicated to Yu-Gi-Oh! players that don't have any experience going to an official tournament, but perhaps have plans to go in the future. I created it to prep myself to go to YCS Atlanta, and it was certainly a useful resource for me. I hope to share it with others.

For those of you with experience at large events, read through the items below, if you are so inclined, and if you think we've missed any important tips, please feel free to share them in a comment. I'll make sure to get everything added to the list.

Thank you, everyone for posting!

I've abbreviated the suggestions below, but feel free to read the posts for more detailed information.

Quote:
  • Bring food, water, snacks, etc. Meal breaks are not scheduled during the tournaments, so you may or may not have time to take a break to grab something to eat. Though there is often food available for sale at the location, it's very often overpriced (I payed three dollars for a bottle of orange soda...) and I can guarantee there will be lines, so it's best to have something with you to eat if possible.
  • ***BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS OF THEFT*** There's nothing funny about losing your valuables, especially if your deck and collection contain particularly expensive cards. Read through the comments and the section below for suggestions on how to avoid theft. Some people prefer to carry their things in messenger bags, or something like a laptop case instead of a backpack because it's harder for people to cut it open and remove your belongings from without you noticing.
  • Try to get to the event the day before, for pre-registration. This leaves extra time beforehand to relax and rest up. When I went to YCS Atlanta, I had a two and a half hour drive, so I got about five hours of sleep before the tournament. By the seventh round, I was nearly asleep on my feet. I still had two more rounds to go, but a misplay cost me the match, and I might have avoided it if I had a little more rest. Also, if you pre-register, you're eligible for the Bounty event at tournaments that feature it.
  • Read any information you can on the particular event, (FAQ's, description of the venue, etc).
  • Be well-rested and mentally prepared. This ties into what I wrote above about pre-registration.
  • Eat a big meal beforehand. A good thing to know about life is that without food, you die. I hadn't had breakfast the morning of the tournament. I took some Slim Jims, because I knew I'd need food during the day, but I finished them before the first round.
  • Bring extra sleeves so that sleeves that are marked by accidental wear can be replaced to prevent penalties for marked sleeves.
  • Bring your own supplies. Don't rely on an opponent to have them for you to use. (Dice, calculator, pen and paper, etc.) Opponents may ask to use your die when deciding who goes first partly because it prevents the use of weighted dice, and also because it shows that they aren't trying to use something like that to attain some unfair advantage.
  • In order to avoid mistakes, miscalculation and cheating, keep track of your own lifepoints, and your opponent's as well. I did play a match where there was a disagreement on our life points. I pretty much had my opponent by that point, but in retrospect, I should have called a judge. If you give your opponent the benefit of the doubt, it can cost you the game.
  • If you don't have your decklist memorized, keep a written copy of the list you turned in at registration with you so that you can return the deck to its original state (return side deck cards to side, main deck cards to main) before you begin a new match. Honestly, when you get there, it's not that hard to tell which cards you sided in, but it's still not a bad idea. Especially since they require decklists for many of the side events.
  • Meticulously check your decklist before you turn it in to ensure that it is identical to the one you're using. Any error or discrepancy can result in penalty. Konami posted an article in which it describes a player who wrote "Thunder Dragon," meaning to write "Thunder King Rai-Oh," and was given a game loss and disallowed from using the Rai-Oh's he had in his side deck for the rest of the tournament.
  • If you plan on trading, know the values of your cards, and the cards you're trading for. People love to profit, and they can make money off of you if you don't know what your cards are worth.
  • If you don't want to make a trade with somebody, don't let them pressure you into doing it. It's your property, and you don't have to give it up if you don't want to.
  • Conversely, don't be overly pushy about trades with other people. If they say they don't want to trade, don't push them on it. It will irritate them, make them feel uncomfortable, or maybe even be intimidating. Or all three. And I'm pretty sure you get bad karma for doing any of that.
  • Keep your eyes on whoever you're trading with. When you can, make sure you're holding onto their binder as well, because it's your insurance. They won't run off with your **** if you've got theirs. A common tactic is to have your buddy talk to somebody while you're trading with them, so you can slip cards out of their binder while they're distracted. It's very hard to notice, so stay focused!
  • It's actually listed in all the rulebooks, I think, but make sure you ask permission before you touch your opponent's cards. While, say, the contents of the Graveyard are technically common knowledge, it shows that you respect your opponent and their belongings when you're careful to ask permission.
  • Some people don't care too much to cut your deck after every little search, but if you suspect a cheater, don't hesitate to cut and shuffle their deck after they go through it. Being lenient is a common way to throw off suspicion.
  • That said, don't have an aneurysm if somebody topdecks a Heavy Storm after you set five. It happens. It cost me my last match in the tournament. (I Solemned it, but if I had let it through it would have hit a Geartown and I would have had a chance, albeit very minor, to make a comeback.) Accept losses with humility and grace even if they're caused by a ridiculous topdeck like that.
  • If you've already got enough losses day one to keep you out of day two, (it happens, don't worry about it. Not to be Captain Obvious, but only 16-32 people out of that whole mass of people are going to make the top cut, and it can't be everybody), it's fine to drop out so you can enjoy the side events, socialize, play friendly matches and trade.
  • Day 1 is absolutely exhausting. That's the truth of the matter. It can be a little overwhelming, and if you feel ill, go to your hotel. Vomiting all over the table is not a good way to win a match, plus your opponent might be pissed that you ruined their Zenmaines and two Tour Guides.
  • Hygiene, guys. Please. And girls too. When you're looking at pairings and you're sandwiched between 200 other people, and like half of them smell like piss and sweat, you pretty much just want to drop right there. So, make sure you wear deodorant, get a shower the morning of, and it doesn't hurt to bring deodorant with you in case it wears off.
  • One last thing - you're there to have fun!
Quote:
THEFT
It sucks. Please don't be the perpetrator. Now that that's out of the way, here are some ways to avoid it.
  • When you're playing a match, keep your bag at your feet. If you leave it on the table, some opportunist ****** WILL take it when you're not paying attention. If you've never had anything stolen from you, great, but why risk it?
  • Some people who take backpacks like to wear them on their front rather than their back so they know what's going on with it. I'm a little too self-conscious for that, but that's why I carried my stuff in a laptop bag.
  • Those of you with messenger bags/laptop bags/man purses, you can just sit it on your lap when you're at a match, and keep the strap around your neck. It's probably not going to be stolen that way.
  • If, God forbid, something does get stolen, there are certain places you should check IMMEDIATELY: bathrooms, trash cans, the parking lot, under cars, and the far wings of the building are often places where people will ditch your bag after they've looted it so that they can't be identified with it.
  • There are usually a few police officers on hand at such a large event. Let them know what happened, describe the bag (it helps if it's easily identifiable) and they'll probably tell you to check some of the places that I've mentioned. But in general, they won't really do anything unless you can point out the person who stole your stuff, which will almost never happen.
  • If you happened to play a match with somebody you really got along with, let them know what happened, because they'll recognize you and they can come get you if they find anything. The more eyes there are on the ground the better. Players can often be more helpful than the men in blue in this sort of situation.
  • If all else fails, there's usually a lost + found area. You can check there, but if your bag really was stolen, by the time it makes it there (if it ever does), it's probably been stripped bare of any valuables. However, if it genuinely was just lost, not stolen, it could turn up there eventually and it might still have all of your stuff in it if you're extremely lucky.
  • HELP ME ADD TO THIS LIST
If you'd like to know something in particular, post a question!

Last edited by Glomp Panda : 02-26-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Glomp Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
bbccards35
Smell something?

Days will be long, theft will be high. Load your bag with snacks, and nothing you cannot live without. Know your trade values, if you are bringing a trade binder, and guard it with your life!

Try to get there Friday to pre-register. It will allow you to relax before the big event. Try to playtest against the big decks (Inzectors, Wind-Ups, Plants, etc.).

Most of all, just try to have fun. It is a game. If you don't do well, try the side events. They are a blast! Good luck!

Reach me at:
bbccards35@gmail.com (email)

My auctions

Proud owner of feedback on ebay of 45,000+, and going up everyday.
bbccards35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Glomp Panda
The Agent of Fluff

How big a problem is theft, really? I don't plan on bringing extra cards to the event. If somebody wants to trade, I'll find out what they want and bring it day 2. Is there a certain type of player that is more often targeted for theft than others?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Laetus

Well as far as the theft portion goes, do not (for lack of a better word) be careless and leave backpacks and or bags laying on the floor beside your feet, set you valuables that should be in a bag on your lap while sitting.

And I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a jerk xD I'm not trying to, but I've seen to many people have back packs on their backs or near them, and have their tourny deck in the backpacks and that be the only thing stolen.

Which could be a pain if you traveled from florida to new york (examples) , and then have your tourny deck stolen. Lol

Go into the tourny with a good attitude with your head held high, relax as much as you can befor the big day, and get a good nights.

Good luck on your tournament, and what deck are you going to be running?
Laetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Glomp Panda
The Agent of Fluff

I'm on a budget, so I don't expect to do too well at the tournament, I'm really there just for the fun of it. I'll be running a deck of my own creation, it's not something you'd see in the meta... ever... but it holds its own pretty well, and does a lot of damage. It's a hybrid of Malefics and Sanctuary Agents. There's a link to it in my signature, but that list is really outdated. By the time it's done I'll have spent about $70 on it, probably.

It's not going to be the End of the World if it gets lost, but the deck itself is worth a lot more than that since it's got some money cards in it like Brio and BLS I got as gifts, and it's pretty much where all of my halfway decent cards are. I don't have extra copies of things.

So, you're saying people will rifle through your backpack while you're wearing it? Sheesh. Seems like the only thing to do is just be cautious.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Laetus

Well I've seen youtube videos and such of victims of that happening, but its not that likely. Lol where they go through the bags I mean.

I wouldn't be to afraid of it happening, but still, better to be safe than losing your money cards, right? Lol
Laetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Glomp Panda
The Agent of Fluff

Yep. I know they don't really count as money cards when you compare them with Tour Guide and stuff like that, but it's more money than I'd ever spend on this game :0
Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Vice
People's Person

Make sure you read the event FAQ's
http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/events...12-02_FAQ.html

And if you have any questions feel free to ask the judges or the on Site Konami employees
Vice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Glomp Panda
The Agent of Fluff

Definitely. I've read through all the information on the site, looked at the website for the GICC, etc. Now I'd just like to know the type of stuff you wish somebody had told you before you went, like, stuff you learned from experience.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
Born Stupid
WTF you lookin at?

If you bring a bag/backpack, wear it IN FRONT OF YOU! It looks stupid but better safe then sorry. A lot of people will bring knives/scissors to cut through the bag/backpack. Bring a binder of cards you want to trade away, don't bring cards you wont ever in your life will trade (cards that have sentential value). Bring snacks, water and some money (you can sometimes buy cards for cheap). when playing the round, keep your bag/backpack tangled in your leg, hold it tight, people often also wait for you to get into a duel and snatch and run.

Also try to be with friends or a group of people, people will be less inclined to run up to you and punch/push/shove/etc and run.

A small thing I like to do is when it's my opponent's turn the cards in my hand down in a small pile. Opponent will be less inclined to ask how many cards in hand, but if they do ask you MUST tell the truth. They tend to think it's 1 generally but when it goes back to you, you reveal you had x amount of cards.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Glomp Panda
The Agent of Fluff

I'm planning on bringing a bag. I can bring a backpack, or I can use a laptop bag. Something I can keep at my side, in visibility. It's got a shoulder strap, so it wouldn't be easy for somebody to snatch it.

You guys are making me paranoid. How common is that kind of theft, really?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
Born Stupid
WTF you lookin at?

Well YCS theft is pretty big, they will usually announce to watch your stuff, but when they announce that, that just means someone's stuff just got jacked (happened in my regionals). But I'm dam sure you will hear about someone's getting jacked. Not trying to scare you just don't be surprised. Also don't let anyone hold your bag, YOU are responsible for it, pretend it's like your baby. I would recommend you bring a backpack.

People will $1000+ worth of stuff so theft is very likely.

Additional Comment:

Also get a good night sleep before the YCS and eat a big meal, you don't get much time to grab food so stuff yourself and have snack on hand for every 3-4 rounds you start to get hungry. There is no lunch break.

Last edited by Born Stupid : 01-20-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Born Stupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Glomp Panda
The Agent of Fluff

Alrighty. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll certainly bear all that in mind.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
LinkKiller
Sorcerer

Look up the value of everything in your trade binder, people will try to profit off you at every turn.
Never attempt to trade with multiple people at once, people will often come to you in pairs and one will be taking stuff out of your binder while the other is talking to you.
If someone asks to see your deck, don't hand it to them, lay it out on a table or something.
Buy new sleeves / have extra sleeves on hand. Any wear/tear could be misconstrued as "marking" which could end up very badly for you if a sh**y judge gets involved. Best to avoid this possible situation as much as possible.
Bring your own dice/calculator, never trust your opponent to keep track of LP.

Will think of more later...
Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
Glomp Panda
The Agent of Fluff

Great, I forgot about the sleeves thing entirely. Thanks. I'm adding all this stuff to the OP, btw.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
Born Stupid
WTF you lookin at?

CAREFULLY DOUBLE/TRIPLE/QUADRUPLE CHECK YOUR DECK LIST. Worst feeling in the world (of yugioh) to get a game loss cause you don't know how to count or write a card name on a piece of paper. And be down a game.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
Glomp Panda
The Agent of Fluff

Edited the OP and bump

Additional Comment:

bump10char

Last edited by Glomp Panda : 01-21-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
meta14
Dino Rabbit

Great thread. I also love that Malefic Agents deck in your sig. You've got to report how it does.
Also, Aarikku is paying me, but he's also blackmailing me for accepting bribes, so it ends up evening out.
meta14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
Glomp Panda
The Agent of Fluff

I'll let you know That list is extremely out of date though. The version I'm running now is much better. I might update it and necrobump it soon.

Glad you like the thread! Anything you can think of that ought to be covered?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
meta14
Dino Rabbit

It's kinda common sense, but ask before touching your opponent's cards. I cannot tell you how much this bothers me. Common courtesy will make the game more relaxing and enjoyable for both players.
Also, Aarikku is paying me, but he's also blackmailing me for accepting bribes, so it ends up evening out.
meta14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
Glomp Panda
The Agent of Fluff

Great - thanks!

Additional Comment:

Bump......

Additional Comment:

Bump......

Last edited by Glomp Panda : 01-21-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
purity_reloaded
Den Mother Of YGO

Also, read the tournament policy documents - KDE TCG policy, YGO TCG policy, and Penalty Guidelines.
Too many people do not read these.

You can find them on www.yugioh-card.com/en/events.

Have fun!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #23
Glomp Panda
The Agent of Fluff

Yup, got that one on the list. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
dragonbane
Pika-CHOOO!!!

Avoiding theft is extremely important. Don't take any cards (or anything really) that you don't need to. I don't take a book bag with me. I take one of these. That way, my arm is always over the flap of the bag. So, to steal from me, a person would literally have to move my arm or cut through leather. Either way, good luck doing that without me noticing. Also, when I am dueling, I keep the strap of the bag wrapped around my leg and the contents between my leg and a table post (or chair leg). I had the bag try to move on me last year. That guy didn't like the results.

Also, remember to be polite, yet firm, when trading. Know your values certainly, but remember that your cards are yours and theirs are theirs. Don't do a trade if you feel uncomfortable with it. There are a lot of people at these events, so you'll find someone to trade with.

Most important of all, however, is to remember to have fun!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
Glomp Panda
The Agent of Fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbane View Post
I take one of these.
So, like a laptop bag with a strap or something similar would work well. Also good to know. Thanks!