Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden/Limited List Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
BLS-EOTB <3
~Amaterasu~

Default Decks that have been murdered by the Banlist Day 1: Airblade Turbo

Since Pojo has been boring for me lately I have come to the conclusion that I will start an article type thing on here discussing dominant decks (both tier 1 or tier 0) that have been brutally hit by the banlist.

So day 1 is Airblade Turbo. It is better known as DDT in the TCG but got it's name from the deck's sake Stratos and the removal engine Phoenix Blade.

Now the whole concept of the deck was rather simple but devastating. Earn constant +1's from Stratos and sometimes you would also pop between 1-2 Backrow depending on the situation. Most of the time you would either search another Stratos, Diamond Dude or Malicious to use as D Draw Fodder.

The deck was in fact tier 0. Here is a perfect example of a decklist back then:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhjjwLiG_KE

If I am not mistaken along with the cards in the video being legal at the time, Ring of Destruction was legal, Brain Control, Snatch Steal etc. Also at the time Crush Card was a prize card.

Here is an example of the deck in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdvGt...feature=relmfu

Duel was over in less than 4 minutes. That's how powerful this deck was. A deck that was not even OTK based ended a duel in less than 4 minutes.

So here is an overview of cards that are on the list now but were not back then:

Stratos was at 3
Malicious was at 3
DMoC was at 1
Dimension Fusion was at 3
MSE was at 3 (very relevant back then)
Reasoning was at 3
Monster Gate was at 3
Destiny Draw was at 3
RoTA was at 3 (but more commonly ran at 2 since the deck had so much draw power and search power there was no need for running 3)
Premature Burial was at 1
Graceful Charity was at 1

Now correct me if I am wrong but the lifespan of this deck was extremely small. 90% of the deck was murdered by the list.

By all biasness this is a deck that I would love to play. Now regarding the current state of the game, has power creep caught up to the power of the deck? Or if the cards during the format were returned to their aforementioned places would the deck take hold as tier 0 again? Anyone have any personal opinions on the deck? Place them here and give a slight explanation as to why.

"I call this jutsu, Kirin"
BLS-EOTB <3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Rob_Lucci_CP8
Storm Wars Veteran

Location: F/L's Prison Cave Deck(s): Various Occupation: Pojo Surprise Debater

The core deck would probably do very well which is an oddity for Pre-Phantom Darkness decks in the game. It would be highly interesting to see this with Exa-Beetle since with D-Fusion it doesn't look hard to pump out those.

I think the reason for the deck translating well is the sheer speed. With some modifications and a few Xyzs, this would probably be a T1 deck. One fact about DN I dislike is that they lack and never intend to put in a "No Banlist" section, because I'd love to put up testing for this vs., say, an Agent or Plant deck.

GrandFreeze on DN and Devpro.
Rob_Lucci_CP8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
H1T5Clixs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS-EOTB <3 View Post
Since Pojo has been boring for me lately I have come to the conclusion that I will start an article type thing on here discussing dominant decks (both tier 1 or tier 0) that have been brutally hit by the banlist.

So day 1 is Airblade Turbo. It is better known as DDT in the TCG but got it's name from the deck's sake Stratos and the removal engine Phoenix Blade.

Now the whole concept of the deck was rather simple but devastating. Earn constant +1's from Stratos and sometimes you would also pop between 1-2 Backrow depending on the situation. Most of the time you would either search another Stratos, Diamond Dude or Malicious to use as D Draw Fodder.

The deck was in fact tier 0. Here is a perfect example of a decklist back then:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhjjwLiG_KE

If I am not mistaken along with the cards in the video being legal at the time, Ring of Destruction was legal, Brain Control, Snatch Steal etc. Also at the time Crush Card was a prize card.

Here is an example of the deck in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdvGt...feature=relmfu

Duel was over in less than 4 minutes. That's how powerful this deck was. A deck that was not even OTK based ended a duel in less than 4 minutes.

So here is an overview of cards that are on the list now but were not back then:

Stratos was at 3
Malicious was at 3
DMoC was at 1
Reasoning was at 3
Monster Gate was at 3
Destiny Draw was at 3
RoTA was at 3 (but more commonly ran at 2 since the deck had so much draw power and search power there was no need for running 3)

Now correct me if I am wrong but the lifespan of this deck was extremely small. 90% of the deck was murdered by the list.

By all biasness this is a deck that I would love to play. Now regarding the current state of the game, has power creep caught up to the power of the deck? Or if the cards during the format were returned to their aforementioned places would the deck take hold as tier 0 again? Anyone have any personal opinions on the deck? Place them here and give a slight explanation as to why.
My guess pieces of the Engine would be thrown into other decks Similar to how the current plant engine (in the TCG) is thrown into other decks. Making an even more powerful/consistent version of this deck combined with the decks we already have running around.
H1T5Clixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
ssj_duelist
Banned User

Reasoning, D Draw and Gate to 3 no question. DmoC to one.

Stratos stays at one.

Wouldn't be scared of the deck if this happened.
ssj_duelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
BLS-EOTB <3
~Amaterasu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Lucci_CP8 View Post
The core deck would probably do very well which is an oddity for Pre-Phantom Darkness decks in the game. It would be highly interesting to see this with Exa-Beetle since with D-Fusion it doesn't look hard to pump out those.

I think the reason for the deck translating well is the sheer speed. With some modifications and a few Xyzs, this would probably be a T1 deck. One fact about DN I dislike is that they lack and never intend to put in a "No Banlist" section, because I'd love to put up testing for this vs., say, an Agent or Plant deck.
A no banlist section would be so much fun.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
n1ghtmare90
Pojo's Elite #5

I love this. learning of old bdifs other than chaos and tele dad is ptetty cool
n1ghtmare90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Pumpknight
Wight Wedding

Quote:

Stratos was at 3
Malicious was at 3
DMoC was at 1
Reasoning was at 3
Monster Gate was at 3
Destiny Draw was at 3

*pumpkin high-five*

Skilled Decks:
*Insert decks that lose all of the time*

Unskilled Decks:
*Insert decks that win all of the time*

^^^^Twisted Keyblade = <3^^^^
Pumpknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
theHIStorymaker
Lancer Vet

Acctually airblade was simply reincarnated as DDT post banlist, and it still survived as a solid tier 1 and saw a major resurgence when PTDN came out allowing the deck access to DAD and allure. Reasoning and Monster Gate probably cant go up though. D draw can go to 3 I guess and Dmoc can come back, but unfortunately thats about it. I made an attempt at reviving the deck, called chain turbo,

Essentially, Summoner Monk pitches dead spells while recruiting stratos to search or d dude to set up plusses, then you xyz lavalaval chain and search DAD or something. Worked pretty well acctually.

i worship the flying spaghetti monster daily
If you are Pastafarian and are not afraid to admit it, put this in your sig

http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread...1#post26328631
theHIStorymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
BLS-EOTB <3
~Amaterasu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHIStorymaker View Post
Acctually airblade was simply reincarnated as DDT post banlist, and it still survived as a solid tier 1 and saw a major resurgence when PTDN came out allowing the deck access to DAD and allure. Reasoning and Monster Gate probably cant go up though. D draw can go to 3 I guess and Dmoc can come back, but unfortunately thats about it. I made an attempt at reviving the deck, called chain turbo,

Essentially, Summoner Monk pitches dead spells while recruiting stratos to search or d dude to set up plusses, then you xyz lavalaval chain and search DAD or something. Worked pretty well acctually.
Aha ye, DDT was right after the deck was nearly murdered.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
ness00
セクサリス

Airblade Turbo was probably the best, non-troll Deck ever built.

Also, even if it's similar to DDT, Airblade Turbo is the one that had 3 Stratos. It was called Airblade Turbo because that's how it was called in the OCG, where it was ran with 3 Stratos until it was Limited. The limitation took some time to kick in in the TCG. Stratos was Unlimited for a very brief period of time (like 2 weeks or so), long enough for people to mortage their houses to get 3 Stratos within a week in time for the next SJC.

After Stratos was Limited, the Deck was still legal. It ran 1 Stratos, but you Summoned that same Stratos over and over with Dimension Fusion (Graveyard -> Phoenix Blade -> Dimension Fusion for Stratos + DMOC, get Dimension Fusion again).

Quote:
Acctually airblade was simply reincarnated as DDT post banlist, and it still survived as a solid tier 1 and saw a major resurgence when PTDN came out allowing the deck access to DAD and allure.
This guy not only makes history, but remembers it as well.
---------

There was really no need for 3 MSTs. Again, the Deck had DMOC. Any Spell Card you needed was either in your Deck and will be drawn in 1 or 2 turns, or it's in your Graveyard and DMOC would fetch it for you. You could probably Storm your opponent 3 or 4 times in a single turn. Also, Diamond Dude. Also, Stratos has its awesome S/T destroying effect will your Dimension Fusion that not only drags DMOC back, but also Summons 2-3 HERO monsters for you to nuke S/Ts.

I don't really feel like watching the videos, but I remember how absurd the Deck was, mainly because I enjoyed trying to beat it with my mediocre Decks. Basically, you dug through your entire Deck with Reasoning, Monster Gate, and draw power. Then, you simply gained advantage out of nowhere. S/T destruction was covered above. You could nuke monsters with Lightning Vortex, even using 2 or 3 of them in the same turn in case something went wrong, and still have advantage. Even if your opponent used Threatening Roar on you and nuked your entire Field, you could rebuild it next turn and win then.

I really like Turbo Decks, and have mostly built Gigavise-based Decks like that. Obviously much inferior, but still very fun ones.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
BLS-EOTB <3
~Amaterasu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness00 View Post
Airblade Turbo was probably the best, non-troll Deck ever built.

Also, even if it's similar to DDT, Airblade Turbo is the one that had 3 Stratos. It was called Airblade Turbo because that's how it was called in the OCG, where it was ran with 3 Stratos until it was Limited. The limitation took some time to kick in in the TCG. Stratos was Unlimited for a very brief period of time (like 2 weeks or so), long enough for people to mortage their houses to get 3 Stratos within a week in time for the next SJC.

After Stratos was Limited, the Deck was still legal. It ran 1 Stratos, but you Summoned that same Stratos over and over with Dimension Fusion (Graveyard -> Phoenix Blade -> Dimension Fusion for Stratos + DMOC, get Dimension Fusion again).

This guy not only makes history, but remembers it as well.
---------

There was really no need for 3 MSTs. Again, the Deck had DMOC. Any Spell Card you needed was either in your Deck and will be drawn in 1 or 2 turns, or it's in your Graveyard and DMOC would fetch it for you. You could probably Storm your opponent 3 or 4 times in a single turn. Also, Diamond Dude. Also, Stratos has its awesome S/T destroying effect will your Dimension Fusion that not only drags DMOC back, but also Summons 2-3 HERO monsters for you to nuke S/Ts.

I don't really feel like watching the videos, but I remember how absurd the Deck was, mainly because I enjoyed trying to beat it with my mediocre Decks. Basically, you dug through your entire Deck with Reasoning, Monster Gate, and draw power. Then, you simply gained advantage out of nowhere. S/T destruction was covered above. You could nuke monsters with Lightning Vortex, even using 2 or 3 of them in the same turn in case something went wrong, and still have advantage. Even if your opponent used Threatening Roar on you and nuked your entire Field, you could rebuild it next turn and win then.

I really like Turbo Decks, and have mostly built Gigavise-based Decks like that. Obviously much inferior, but still very fun ones.
Nice reply Anyways yes, so Stratos was emergency limited? And would this be somewhat of a consideration of a tier 0 Hero varient? Since the namesake of the deck is a hero, the easiest way to plus is through a Hero and the best fodder for DMoC was hero.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
ness00
セクサリス

Quote:
Nice reply Anyways yes, so Stratos was emergency limited? And would this be somewhat of a consideration of a tier 0 Hero varient? Since the namesake of the deck is a hero, the easiest way to plus is through a Hero and the best fodder for DMoC was hero.
Stratos wasn't really emergency Limited. It was a time where OCG imports would match their status in the OCG list upon release, it just took some time. Kinda like what happened with Cathedral of Nobles, but not so quick (and Kevin even mentioned that it would be Forbidden way before its release date).

In other words, the OCG had 3 Stratos for some time, people ran Airblade Turbo, then Stratos was Limited. When Stratos was released in the TCG, the first thing people wanted to do was play that cool Deck that was basically an endless fountain of advantage, they did so, and Stratos got Limited shortly after. We all knew it would be Limited, simply because it was Limited in the OCG. Just like how Sixth Sense is going to be Forbidden whenever it hits the TCG, unless the OCG had just Limited before that =/

No one really deemed it a HERO Deck because we were right in the middle of the HERO craze packs. Elemental Hero Stratos was not a HERO, it was "Stratos". The last thing people cared about is that D-HEROs were ran by some guy in the anime. Specially after tearing down boxes and boxes of DP Aster Phoenix trying to pull 1 Malicious or 1 D-Draw and getting radical Cards like CLOCKTOWER FREAKING PRISON.

Eventually, after Airblade Turbo became DDT, people began using some other D-HERO Cards, specially when Disk Commander was released. But even so, it definately wasn't because they were HERO Monsters, it was because D-Draw was awesome.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
BLS-EOTB <3
~Amaterasu~

Man I wish I played this deck back then.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
ness00
セクサリス

Quote:
You probably wanted to have some big bucks too.

I would say this is probably THE Deck that began the trend of people paying any sum of money to win. Before this, there were Decks of 40 good Cards and many mediocre Decks, but the 40-good-Card Decks only had those good Cards which were indeed good, but it heavily depended on how you played them through the Duel. Airblade (or DDT) was built mostly in one single way, had tons of expensive Cards, but you almost couldn't play it wrong. Every Card that you used was re-used later. Like I mentioned earlier, it didn't matter that Reasoning sent Monster Reborn, Heavy Storm and Lightning Vortex to the Graveyard, DMOC will get them back. And if Stratos is dead, something else will bring it back. The Deck played by itself, and you only needed to pay it.

And paying it wasn't an easy task. D-Draws and Malicious were Duelist Pack Ultra Rares, which were about 1 per box (of a pack of Destiny Heros, remember that), and you needed 3 of each. Excavations were Champion Pack Ultra Rares. DMOC? You needed to be lucky enough to own one from IOC or DR2. Same with Dimension Fusion. Perhaps these two weren't too expensive, but they were rare. Stratos just came out, and even if it was a JUMP promo, no one would take your 10 bucks for it.

It was the most ridiculously expensive Deck sans SJC prize Cards. And it didn't even have to bother with an Extra Deck. But you knew that if you bought all that, you've practically won. At least as long as your opponent didn't draw into Dimension Fusion himself.

Eventually Phantom Darkness came, and people would pay a lot for PTDN Secret Rares, Gold Crush Card Virus (if they didn't get a SJCS one), Lightsworns, Synchros, Dualities, Warnings, and Tour Guides.

And then I got mad when people wouldn't sell their Sakuretsu Armors for like 5 bucks. Oh boy...
Old 01-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
theHIStorymaker
Lancer Vet

Quote:
Every new format I try to remake DDT, just because it was so ******* fun to play.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
A Catshovel
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness00 View Post
And paying it wasn't an easy task. D-Draws and Malicious were Duelist Pack Ultra Rares, which were about 1 per box (of a pack of Destiny Heros, remember that), and you needed 3 of each. Excavations were Champion Pack Ultra Rares. DMOC? You needed to be lucky enough to own one from IOC or DR2. Same with Dimension Fusion. Perhaps these two weren't too expensive, but they were rare. Stratos just came out, and even if it was a JUMP promo, no one would take your 10 bucks for it.
If I remember correctly, Elemental Hero Stratos was so expensive because that particular JUMP issue was distributed in very limited quantities before the official release. That is also why it took a little while for Elemental Hero Stratos to be limited.

That might not be exactly correct, but I'm pretty sure something odd happened that may Elemental Hero Stratos a hundred dollar promo.
A Catshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
Zaffy
That guy

I used that on WC07.... That game became incredibly easy after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martiachan View Post
This is irrelevant, but am I the only one that imagines whenever Zaffy says something, a Diglett is talking to me, expressionless as usual, as if he was trolling me?
Ninja writing
Zaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
ness00
セクサリス

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Catshovel View Post
If I remember correctly, Elemental Hero Stratos was so expensive because that particular JUMP issue was distributed in very limited quantities before the official release. That is also why it took a little while for Elemental Hero Stratos to be limited.

That might not be exactly correct, but I'm pretty sure something odd happened that may Elemental Hero Stratos a hundred dollar promo.
I would be lying if I said I checked its price tag the week before that dreaded SJC where Airblade Turbo was legal, but I'm pretty sure it must have been very high.

Even after the official release, Stratos wasn't an accessible Card, because it's not as if people had 3 for a long time, and the single copy they had was better off serving their DDT than yours. You couldn't "pull" Stratos and have spare ones, unlike something like Duality, because it was a magazine promo.

And considering its predecesors:

Quote:
JMP-001 Blue-Eyes White Dragon
JMP-002 Red-Eyes Black Dragon
JMP-EN003 Archfiend of Gilfer
JMP-EN004 Obelisk the Tormentor
JMP-EN005 Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon
JUMP-EN006 Unity
JUMP-EN007 Yu-Jo Friendship
JUMP-EN008 Judgment of the Pharaoh
JUMP-EN009 Magician's Valkyria
JUMP-EN010 Toon Dark Magician Girl
JUMP-EN011 Victory Dragon
JUMP-EN012 Elemental Hero Stratos
Not many people were interested in subscribing to JUMP either. But it's not like an useful Card would come out in small quantities and make people rage for not subscribing, right?

Oh, right. 50+ USD Baboons.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #19
theHIStorymaker
Lancer Vet

JUMP got smarter...

Old 01-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
Rob_Lucci_CP8
Storm Wars Veteran

And yet people complain supposedly back in the day cards were cheap and the game has suddenly become expensive.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #21
Yussa Tampon
4$hl3y T1$d4l3

Deck was valid for a single SJC. In fact, we had the list and knew it would get limited and we still saw people spending in excess of $50 for a single copy at that very SJC.

Deck obviously won and was watered down (and still won) after. This was all in early 2007. (banlist came in March to kill the deck, giving us "PCM")

The deck will NEVER be as good as it once was. Back then, you had a lock on the win if you accounted for every possibility on the field and often, you had the means of dishing out a whole monster extra worth of damage (so Kuriboh being an obvious out wasn't going to do it)

Right now, we have Gorz, Effect Veiler and even Maxx C can punish the deck once it's "auto win" is inhibited.
We choose your diaper size
Yussa Tampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
theHIStorymaker
Lancer Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yussa Tampon View Post
Deck was valid for a single SJC. In fact, we had the list and knew it would get limited and we still saw people spending in excess of $50 for a single copy at that very SJC.

Deck obviously won and was watered down (and still won) after. This was all in early 2007. (banlist came in March to kill the deck, giving us "PCM")

The deck will NEVER be as good as it once was. Back then, you had a lock on the win if you accounted for every possibility on the field and often, you had the means of dishing out a whole monster extra worth of damage (so Kuriboh being an obvious out wasn't going to do it)

Right now, we have Gorz, Effect Veiler and even Maxx C can punish the deck once it's "auto win" is inhibited.
Original Airblade would wreck every deck that has ever existed with exceptions being maybe post crossroads of chaos tele dad and maryku exchange

Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #23
Rob_Lucci_CP8
Storm Wars Veteran

Anything DAD related or GB related from 2008 would've efficiently mopped the floor with Airblade Turbo because they were that ****ing crazy. Post Crossroads TeleDAD was barely different from pre barring a teched Plaguespreader or maybe an occasional ZombieDAD top.

But it's clearly up there in terms of power and speed.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #24
BLS-EOTB <3
~Amaterasu~

Honestly I think Airblade could easily go toe to toe with TeleDAD.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #25
theHIStorymaker
Lancer Vet

Quote:
Honestly I think Airblade could easily go toe to toe with TeleDAD.
**** I want to see that duel...

anyone up for a proxy duel on DN?

Oh and post crossroads tele dad had plz as well as brd which does make it stronger