Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Pokémon > Pokemon TCG Discussions, News & Gossip
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
Otaku
Pojo Veteran
 
Otaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 1,758
iTrader: 0
Otaku will become famous soon enough
Default 2017 Season Format Annouced

Official announcement here.

Quote:
In the interest of maintaining a healthy tournament environment, Pokémon Organized Play begins each new tournament season by removing older expansions from Standard format competition. Each annual rotation challenges existing players to create new strategies while enabling new players to get involved in Play! Pokémon events with minimal investment.
The 2017 Play! Pokémon season starts on July 11, 2016, so players can start on earning their way toward the 2017 Pokémon World Championships. However, the format rotation will not occur until September 1, 2016. Importantly, this means that the 2016 Pokémon World Championships will use the 2016 format and rules as currently listed, rather than using the new Standard format for 2017. Be sure to check out our first analysis for what this means for current competitive play.
The Expanded format will remain unchanged for the 2017 season. This format will continue to be aggressively monitored to ensure fair gameplay balance, and individual cards may be banned periodically to maintain this balance. Consult the Pokémon TCG tournament regulations for the latest updates. Also, please note that Lysandre's Trump Card (XY—Phantom Forces, 99/119 and 118/119) and Shiftry (Black & White—Next Destinies, 72/99) will continue to be banned in the Expanded format for the 2017 season.
The Standard format for the 2017 season will consist of the following expansions:
  • XY—Primal Clash
  • Double Crisis
  • XY—Roaring Skies
  • XY—Ancient Origins
  • XY—BREAKthrough
  • XY—BREAKpoint
  • Generations
  • XY—Fates Collide
  • XY—Steam Siege
  • McDonald's Collection 2014
  • McDonald's Collection 2015
  • XY Trainer Kit—Latias and Latios
  • XY Trainer Kit—Pikachu Libre and Suicune
  • Black Star Promo Cards: XY36 and higher
Additional expansions become legal the third Friday after they are released in the United States.
The Expanded Format for 2017
In 2017 we will not be removing older expansions from the Expanded format. Players should double-check what format is being used before deciding which deck to bring to their local events.

The Expanded format for the 2017 season will consist of the following expansions:
  • Black & White
  • Black & White—Emerging Powers
  • Black & White—Noble Victories
  • Black & White—Next Destinies
  • Black & White—Dark Explorers
  • Dragon Vault
  • Black & White—Dragons Exalted
  • Black & White—Boundaries Crossed
  • Black & White—Plasma Storm
  • Black & White—Plasma Freeze
  • Black & White—Plasma Blast
  • Black & White—Legendary Treasures
  • Black & White Trainer Kit
  • XY—Kalos Starter Set
  • XY
  • XY—Flashfire
  • XY—Furious Fists
  • XY—Primal Clash
  • XY—Phantom Forces
  • Double Crisis
  • XY—Roaring Skies
  • XY—Ancient Origins
  • XY—BREAKthrough
  • XY—BREAKpoint
  • Generations
  • XY—Fates Collide
  • XY—Steam Siege
  • McDonald's Collection 2011
  • McDonald's Collection 2012
  • McDonald's Collection 2013
  • McDonald's Collection 2014
  • McDonald's Collection 2015
  • XY Trainer Kit
  • XY Trainer Kit—Bisharp and Wigglytuff
  • XY Trainer Kit—Latias and Latios
  • XY Trainer Kit—Pikachu Libre and Suicune
  • Black Star Promo Cards: BW01 and higher, XY01 and higher.
Additional expansions become legal the third Friday after they are released in the United States.
__________________
Born once, die twice. Born twice, die once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Toast
You need to realize that there are NO women on the internet. It's a place where men are men, girls are men, and children are the F.B.I.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Omali1990
Dice Masters
 
Omali1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nottingham, England.
Age: 26
Posts: 3,037
iTrader: 3 (100%)
Omali1990 is on a distinguished road
Default

This was really helpful as I'm just getting back into the game after 15 years
Omali1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Otaku
Pojo Veteran
 
Otaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 1,758
iTrader: 0
Otaku will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omali1990 View Post
This was really helpful as I'm just getting back into the game after 15 years
Welcome back! Glad that post could help. Since the pinned thread about returning to the game is locked, I'll include links to some of the official resources that can help you out. I'm going to focus on technical, rules related stuff (the Card of the Day articles on the main site can help with what to play).

  1. The official Pokémon TCG website: Most of what I will link you to is here. Over the last year or two the site has gotten better about presenting real deck strategies as well as winners of events.
  2. Play! Pokémon Ruls & Resource Page: Links to the latest rule book, rules for events, even some alternate rules for some official (but not allowed for sanctioned tournaments), and samples of the forms you'd fill out at events (like to register yourself and your deck).
  3. Pokémon Rulings Compendium: Rulings for the TCG culled from other official rules releases and meticulously organized by Team Compendium. If you were serious about playing 15 years ago, ya probably recognize them.
  4. Pokémon TCG Online: Something else you may remember from 15 years ago were various programs to unofficially play the Pokémon TCG online. Well several years ago Pokémon launched their own official program, the PTCGO. It is a decent way to get the basics down at least, and Redemption Codes for it come with most first-hand TCG product, so you might as well see if you like it.
I only play using the PTCGO because - to keep things short - that's the only place I can officially play the game. It isn't perfect, but its a good way for someone like me to keep up with the game until I both can and want to resume the physical TCG. I haven't spent a dime on the PTCGO (since I need my computer, internet, etc. for other things) and I've had the time to invest to earn my cards through in game rewards and trading, allowing me a pretty solid card pool. I don't have everything, but I can field multiple competitive decks across multiple formats, so its pretty nice. At the same time, this might be the least important of the links I gave you; some only (or at least prefer) playing with real cards and real people, and I get that.
__________________
Born once, die twice. Born twice, die once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Toast
You need to realize that there are NO women on the internet. It's a place where men are men, girls are men, and children are the F.B.I.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:26 AM   #4
Omali1990
Dice Masters
 
Omali1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nottingham, England.
Age: 26
Posts: 3,037
iTrader: 3 (100%)
Omali1990 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post


Welcome back! Glad that post could help. Since the pinned thread about returning to the game is locked, I'll include links to some of the official resources that can help you out. I'm going to focus on technical, rules related stuff (the Card of the Day articles on the main site can help with what to play).

  1. The official Pokémon TCG website: Most of what I will link you to is here. Over the last year or two the site has gotten better about presenting real deck strategies as well as winners of events.
  2. Play! Pokémon Ruls & Resource Page: Links to the latest rule book, rules for events, even some alternate rules for some official (but not allowed for sanctioned tournaments), and samples of the forms you'd fill out at events (like to register yourself and your deck).
  3. Pokémon Rulings Compendium: Rulings for the TCG culled from other official rules releases and meticulously organized by Team Compendium. If you were serious about playing 15 years ago, ya probably recognize them.
  4. Pokémon TCG Online: Something else you may remember from 15 years ago were various programs to unofficially play the Pokémon TCG online. Well several years ago Pokémon launched their own official program, the PTCGO. It is a decent way to get the basics down at least, and Redemption Codes for it come with most first-hand TCG product, so you might as well see if you like it.
I only play using the PTCGO because - to keep things short - that's the only place I can officially play the game. It isn't perfect, but its a good way for someone like me to keep up with the game until I both can and want to resume the physical TCG. I haven't spent a dime on the PTCGO (since I need my computer, internet, etc. for other things) and I've had the time to invest to earn my cards through in game rewards and trading, allowing me a pretty solid card pool. I don't have everything, but I can field multiple competitive decks across multiple formats, so its pretty nice. At the same time, this might be the least important of the links I gave you; some only (or at least prefer) playing with real cards and real people, and I get that.


I mostly play online at the moment. I built a deck from the box of evolution and a few decks I bought. It's not amazing but it's what I have
Omali1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
Omali1990
Dice Masters
 
Omali1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nottingham, England.
Age: 26
Posts: 3,037
iTrader: 3 (100%)
Omali1990 is on a distinguished road
Default

Ready for going to the hobby league at my local comic book shop.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omali1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

 
Advertisement


Pick Up Our New 20th Anniversary Pokemon Book for your Collection!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.