Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Magic: The Gathering > Magic: the Gathering - Gossip
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
PresidentShinra
Jenova's Witness

PresidentShinra is on a distinguished road
Default This **** right here....

http://blog.mtgprice.com/2016/07/05/...d-the-buyouts/

In my opinion, this guy is an ass.

****postis**** had to put it somewhere :/
Old 07-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
Kestral287
Department Head

Kestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant future

Why's he an ass? Because he's running a business?

So he bought something and he's going to turn around and sell it at a higher price. That's nothing more or less than what every card game shop in this country does its best to do-- especially the big ones. You think Star City has never bought out a card?

The guy's no saint and I can't say that I'm personally fond of him, but I'm not going to Condemn a man for trying to make a living.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku-Ri-Boh View Post
Read Kestral's. He owns my heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKpwnage View Post
ITT: Kestral wrecking everyone.
Kestral287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
RustyRobo
BABY GROOT <3!!!

RustyRobo is a splendid one to beholdRustyRobo is a splendid one to beholdRustyRobo is a splendid one to beholdRustyRobo is a splendid one to beholdRustyRobo is a splendid one to beholdRustyRobo is a splendid one to beholdRustyRobo is a splendid one to behold

The comparison to Martin Skrelli is a little uncalled for. Martin is a waaaaaaay bigger ******

Formally KnightInRustyArmor

Yugi decks: Ghostricks, Fluffal, and Kozmos (fite me)
Vanguard: Breakride Nubatama (reprint Shiranui plz), Yasuie, Magatsu, and Raizers.
RustyRobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #4
CCSakura

CCSakura is on a distinguished road

I don't really see the problem. Like, the majority of the issue, as (I think it was him, I read it before I left for work today) it was mentioned that Wizards of the Coast promoted this by being very stingy with reprinting cards viewed as staples, as well as the.. restricted list?

I have no idea what all the talk of Legacy is, I'm not a Magic player, but all he's doing is playing the market. It happens in everything, from the stock market to the auction house in World of Warcraft. You pick up stuff that'll appreciate in value, and when it does you sell for a profit. Buy low, sell high, etc. That's what he's doing. Granted it could be seen as a little harsh to single-handedly run the market, but... let's be honest, I think if most of us were capable of that, and capable of turning that kind of profit, we would, right?
CCSakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #5
Kestral287
Department Head

Kestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant futureKestral287 has a brilliant future

Reserved List is what you're thinking of. A list of cards that will never be reprinted, including functional reprints (close reprints are acceptable, mind).

Legacy is one of MtG's formats; it includes almost the entire card pool. It's expensive to get into, and the cards he's being called out for speculating on are cards that are very strong in Legacy.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
PresidentShinra
Jenova's Witness

PresidentShinra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral287 View Post
Why's he an ass? Because he's running a business?

So he bought something and he's going to turn around and sell it at a higher price. That's nothing more or less than what every card game shop in this country does its best to do-- especially the big ones. You think Star City has never bought out a card?

The guy's no saint and I can't say that I'm personally fond of him, but I'm not going to Condemn a man for trying to make a living.

He's an ass because he's making a notoriously hard-to-break-into format even harder to break into. Or say you've played CounterTop for the last X years but would like to change it up. Haha... hope you like the idea of a second mortgage? The behavior is straight predatorial.

I get buy low, sell high. However buying out with the intent of manipulating the market in your own favor is something different, I think, and I would argue that it is quite different than what game shops do.

I'll Condemn it; no problem and without thinking twice about it. Community>profit.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #7
dragonnathan025

dragonnathan025 is on a distinguished road

It's because of *******s like him that they should simply reprint the entire reserved list in one set. Business practices like this are never moral, and I look forward to karma kicking his royal little behind and taking a TREMENDOUS hit.
dragonnathan025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #8
Kestral287
Department Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentShinra View Post
He's an ass because he's making a notoriously hard-to-break-into format even harder to break into. Or say you've played CounterTop for the last X years but would like to change it up. Haha... hope you like the idea of a second mortgage? The behavior is straight predatorial.
No, he didn't.

If you were already going to drop the three grand or so on a legacy deck and now you have to spend another three hundred, that's not going to deter the massive majority of people trying to get into the format. The pool of people for whom that last $300 is a deal breaker is tiny.

Because quite frankly? The vast majority of magic players are well aware of what their budgets allow and what formats cost. I'm not going to set aside a couple grand for a legacy deck because I can push that money far further elsewhere. If I have to stretch my budget so much that another 10% or so is a dealbreaker, I'm cognizant of my surroundings enough to know that it isn't the format for me.

And the magic players who didn't know what the format costs aren't even aware enough to realize that this happened.
Quote:
Quote: