Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Magic: The Gathering > Magic: The Gathering Limited Format Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
DrewskiThaLegend

DrewskiThaLegend is on a distinguished road
Default M15 midnight prerelease

Hey guys, just wanted to share my prerelease experience with you all. I have to say, M15 feels like a really fun core set compared to the last few we have seen, with a lot of interesting and unique cards for all categories of players. So this event was 2-headed Giant (one game=match) 4 rounds. After opening our packs- Black for me, Blue for him, we got to work building. I paid for him to play since he didn't have anything else to do, and so I decided to just forgo successive prereleases and just take the cards from that one. So after sorting through the pools, the rules allowing for exchange between players, he ended up with a Blue-Red tempo-control deck while I opted for a slower Black-Green midrange/dredge deck. Here's what I decided upon:

Creatures
2 Ornithopter
3 Satyr Wayfinder
2 Black Cat
1 Child of Night
2 Carrion Crow
2 Necromancer's Assistant
1 Gargoyle Sentinel
2 Undergrowth Scavenger
1 Paragon of Open Graves
1 Living Totem
1 Indulgent Tormentor
2 Soul of Innistrad (insane BTW, Both of these were in my pack to begin with)

Spells
2 Ulcerate
1 Necromancer's Stockpile
1 Endless Obedience
1 Chord of Calling
1 Flesh To Dust

7 Forest
7 Swamp
1 Evolving Wilds

Total: 41

My partner's deck went something like:

2 Foundry Street Denizen
1 Forge Devil
4 Generator Servant
1 Borderland Marauder
4 Frost Lynx
1 Coral Barrier
1 Miner's Bane
1 Will-Forged Golem

2 Military Intelligence
1 Lightning Strike
1 Peel From Reality
2 Divination
2 Stoke the Flames
1 Into the Void
1 Aetherspouts

Land
7 Mountain
6 Island
1 Shivan Reef

Round 1: Grixis/Selesnya
We narrowly Squeeze this one out considering going into time. Ultimately we were able to force most of the removal on an 11/11 Undergrowth Scavenger and ultimately used the "flashback" on Soul of Innistrad to reload my hand with zombies for Necromancer's Stockpile. My partner kept the storm of creatures at bay with 2 Frost Lynx and a Coral Barrier plus a very nice Aetherspouts 1-0

Round 2: Mono-Black/Azorius This one came close as well, but there was too much removal in white for me, and I lost all my fatties while failing to draw into stockpile to Replenish my hand and field a little bit. Ultimately the tide just swung in their favor after we used literally every trick we had. 1-1

Round 3: This round was over really quickly. Both myself and my partner started with really solid hands. His hand included a neat combination of his aggressive creatures and a Lightning Strike, while mine had a lot of neat dredge stuff, Satyr Wayfinder, Necromancer's Assistant, and some of my more aggressive cards: Carrion Crow and the like. We put that one to bed pretty rapidly. 2-1

Round 4:Junk/Mono-Red (Goblins) This one was incredibly close. The turning point was a big Lifelink double striker with flying that we couldn't answer. 2-2

So we finished 4th on tiebreakers, which was pretty good. I was a little disappointed because of how good my deck was, but such is the nature of 2-headed giant. I have to say that a few things made themselves incredibly obvious at the event:

1: Convoke is very powerful and ideally cuts the number of lands you have to run.
2: The "Soul" cycle is powerful, even though they are clearly inferior to the Titan cycle, they are extremely powerful nonetheless.
3: M15 has a lot of solid commons that don't seem like they should be commons (Generator Servant, Undergrowth Scavenger among others)
4: I need to run more direct removal spells, regardless of cost.
Drewskithelegend
Team GWaM Security, Colorado Springs, Co
Built:Infernities, Watts, Worms, Aliens, Dark World, Banish Psychic/Psych-Ups (stolen),Evilswarm,Phantom of Chaos, Herald
DrewskiThaLegend is offline   Reply With Quote