Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG "Advanced" Deck Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
Eukerion

Eukerion is on a distinguished road
Default Another September 2013 Dragon Ruler Plant deck...

Hi all,

I know some people have already started making post-September Dragon Ruler decks (I saw it called "babyless" due to the severe ban list...) but I would like to make the deck better so I thought I could use advice from all Pojoists here

(Edited after the announcement of the TCG ban list)

Here's the decklist :

Monsters (33) : (the baby dragons say http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2045/geq3.png ! <-- check for some fun about the ban list...)
3x Blaster, Dragon Ruler of Infernos
2x Dragonic Knight
1x Flamvell Guard

3x Tidal, Dragon Ruler of Waterfalls
1x Frost and Flame Dragon
2x Fog King

3x Tempest, Dragon Ruler of Storms
2x Debris Dragon
1x Dragunity Corsesca

3x Redox, Dragon Ruler of Boulders
2x Card Trooper
2x Swift Scarecrow

1x Lonefire Blossom
1x Dandylion
1x Spore

2x Effect Veiler
2x Maxx "C"
1x Gorz the Emissary of Darkness

Spells (7) :
2x Sacred Sword of Seven Stars
1x Gold Sarcophagus
1x Foolish Burial
2x Scapegoat
1x One for One

Traps (1) :
1x Return From the Different Dimension

Extra Deck (15) :
1x Formula Synchron
1x Armory Arm
1x T.G. Hyper Librarian
2x Black Rose Dragon
1x Stardust Dragon
1x Scrap Dragon
1x Crimson Blader
1x Shooting Star Dragon
1x Star Eater

1x Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack
1x Number 11: Big Eye
1x Number 74: Master of Blades
1x Gaia Dragon, the Thunder Charger
1x Mermail Abyssgaios

The deck is rather self-explanatory but I might as well explain some of my choices.
  • I saw many people who only play the Redox / Tempest tandem, I understand why but I think it also cripples the whole rank 7 strategy. I'm testing with the 4 elements right now, I might change my mind (it's up to you :P )
  • Fog King is here for three reasons. First of all, there are not many "interesting" WATER monsters to put into the deck, which is a shame because the effect of Tidal is rather important in this deck (to ditch a Dandy for example). Also, it is level 7 and it is possible to Normal summon it with no Tribute for a rank 7 Xyz with any of the Dragons. Plus, it's a Debris Dragon target which gives instant access to Star Eater.
  • Card Trooper because it is important to mill in this deck to setup the Graveyard for heavy plays. And it is EARTH attribute, so it can be pitched for the effect of Redox.
  • Corsesca and Debris Dragon are searchable via Tempest, Flamvell Guard is searchable via Blaster, and they are handy level 1 or 4 tuners, opening some nice plays like Formula (tuner + token or tuner + Scarecrow), Stardust / Scrap D / Crimson (tuner + any Dragon), Star Eater (Debris + Fog or any Dragon) or Black Rose (Debris + Dandy, Lonefire or Trooper).
  • Scapegoat is broken in this deck, gives access to whatever random Formula play, gives defense to the deck, plus if you only have a Dracossack left on the field you just play this card and Reload the token count on the field so he's indestructible again. 2 should be fine but 3 would be too much I guess.
  • Super Rejuvenation would have been very good in this deck, but it is now banned so yeah... (it performed crazy pluses so I understand why it is banned)
  • I think the other cards don't need an explanation, it is more or less the usual babyless E-Dragon build.
  • Gorz the Emissary of Darkness is very good as Gorz itself can help into Xyz'ing (easy Dracossack, and there is already a token on the field so Dracossack can't be destroyed at the very moment it hits the field), and its token can help into Synchro'ing (level 1 tuner + Gorz token = level 8 synchro and Debris + Gorz token = Star Eater). Sadly it doesn't work with any of the Dragons because of its attribute. Also, this deck can maintain very strong field presence so my opponent barely gets to attack my Life Points directly so it can be dead sometimes.
  • Maintaining all 4 elements in the deck is quite difficult, and I tried to balance the monster count for each element (I used different colors on the decklist to make them easier to spot) : there are currently 7 FIRE monsters, 6 WATER monsters, 7 WIND monsters and 10 EARTH monsters. As you can see the predominance in the deck goes to the EARTH attribute. Once SHSP comes out, I'll change the deck to play a couple of Crane Crane, to gain access to the new rank 3 Xyz for plants, which will greatly improve the deck in my opinion.

So yeah, any help would be appreciated, I hope you enjoyed this deck and that we will be able to exchange ideas on the deck

Last edited by Eukerion : 08-25-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Eukerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
ghettosalazar

ghettosalazar is on a distinguished road

i'm really liking this build on paper, going to test now

edit: no tetherwolf? does Fog King more or less accomplish the same end here (i.e., that of an instant level 7)?

Last edited by ghettosalazar : 08-20-2013 at 10:04 AM.
ghettosalazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
MasterFox72
#BestiTo3

MasterFox72 is on a distinguished road

Needs Debris Dragon
MasterFox72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
Eukerion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettosalazar View Post
i'm really liking this build on paper, going to test now

edit: no tetherwolf? does Fog King more or less accomplish the same end here (i.e., that of an instant level 7)?
Yup it's been doing pretty well by now. Tetherwolf is very interesting indeed, but I don't play him because :
  1. He's not a Dragon
  2. He is level 4 in my hand (for the Swords)
  3. He is sensitive to Bottomless (as opposed to Fog King)
  4. He's not a Debris target
  5. I already have enough WIND monsters I think
Fog King isn't a Dragon either, but I needed more WATER monsters (only 5 in total) and he can be banished with Swords to draw 2, and he is an instant Star Eater with Debris Dragon. Plus, it can be a huge beatstick from time to time (if I have to face a huge monster like Obelisk for example), you just have to summon 2 Dragons and Tribute them (Tributing them also gives more pluses for Super Rejuvenation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterFox72 View Post
Needs Debris Dragon
Already there, look closer

Edit : @ghettosalazar, yes I find Fog King to be quite efficient at this point. Helps with rank 7's, plus it makes Abyssgaios actually playable (without him the only way of summoning Gaios is 2 Tidal, which is not very likely)

Additional Comment:

Edit : OMG I just saw the official (final) ban list, it hits this deck so hard... Well I will change a few things to the decklist then. Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by Eukerion : 08-21-2013 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Tazmanian Devil
The God Of War!!!

Tazmanian Devil is on a distinguished road

They dont want Dragon Rulers to survive in any form.
Tazmanian Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Son Gokū
YO! I'm from Earth

Son Gokū is on a distinguished road

Gold Sarco is at 1, Super Rejuv is banned, Card Des is banned, Reborn is banned, and Heavy is banned...
Time to fix that deck, hehe.
"I am the hope of the Universe! I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace! I am protector of the innocent! I am the Light to the Darkness! I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" _Me as a Super Saiya-jin

YO! It's Goku's Yu-Gi-Oh! Trade Thread! Trade with Goku here!

Welcome to ~Super Saiyan Techs~
Son Gokū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Vendetta
[Plagued]

Vendetta is on a distinguished road

Really loving this. You can actually make it work without the other stuff it will just be a lot more tech'd out.

• I would definitely include a playset of Enemy Controllers and maybe more Scapegoat because they are amazing, synchro options, great for interrupting plays etc.

• 3 Maxx "C", 3 Effect Veiler and a Gorz the Emissary of Darkness could be great in here.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Acid Rain Ninja
The Envoy?!

Location: In The Underworld Decks: Chaos Dragons, Dragon Rulers, Chin Beat, Gadgets Hobbies: Yu-Gi-Oh!
Acid Rain Ninja is on a distinguished road

Wrong banlist.
Acid Rain Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
Eukerion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticVampire2K4 View Post
They dont want Dragon Rulers to survive in any form.
I know. At least they kept the "big" Dragons which is essential because they provide support for almost all Element-oriented decks (because LIGHT and DARK-oriented decks have always had much greater support).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Gokū View Post
Gold Sarco is at 1, Super Rejuv is banned, Card Des is banned, Reborn is banned, and Heavy is banned...
Time to fix that deck, hehe.
Yup, heavy ban list ! Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Really loving this. You can actually make it work without the other stuff it will just be a lot more tech'd out.

• I would definitely include a playset of Enemy Controllers and maybe more Scapegoat because they are amazing, synchro options, great for interrupting plays etc.

• 3 Maxx "C", 3 Effect Veiler and a Gorz the Emissary of Darkness could be great in here.
Followed your advice (except only 2 Veilers and no E-Con, I prefer a 2nd Goat instead). Went to 41 cards total though, think I'll look for something to remove to cut down to 40 again... Going to test it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Rain Ninja
Wrong banlist.
Fixed !

Additional Comment:

Bump ! Need advice on how to make it better...

Additional Comment:

Bump, any suggestions ?

Last edited by Eukerion : 08-23-2013 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #10
Crossed01
Learning the Ropes

Crossed01 is on a distinguished road

Deck rocks. Won every duel with it.
I took out 1 scapegoat for Dark Hole.
And +1 star eater, -1 black rose.
You run out of star eaters pretty quick an don't use rose much
Very consistent.
Crossed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:04 AM   #11
Eukerion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossed01 View Post
Deck rocks. Won every duel with it.
I took out 1 scapegoat for Dark Hole.
And +1 star eater, -1 black rose.
You run out of star eaters pretty quick an don't use rose much
Very consistent.
Thanks for your feedback ! Ok so yes, maybe Dark Hole could help even though the deck easily maintains field presence. I'll think about it.

Unfortunately I don't have a second Star Eater for now so I'll stick to double Black Rose. But I had already thought about it, indeed it's amazingly easy to go for a level 11 synchro with this deck, and I already found myself in a situation where I lacked the 2nd Star Eater :P

Thank you Crossed, any other suggestions ? Any possible way to cut down to 40 cards again (I hate playing more than 40 cards) ?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:28 AM   #12
Rescue-Caterpillar
Used String Shot!

Rescue-Caterpillar is on a distinguished road

Mecha Phantom Beast Tetherwolf

Also E-Con
Old 08-24-2013, 03:51 AM   #13
Eukerion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue-Caterpillar View Post
Mecha Phantom Beast Tetherwolf

Also E-Con
Hi, thank you for your suggestions !

As discussed above I'm not a huge fan of Tetherwolf, maybe I'll change my mind later but I prefer Fog King over it for now.

E-Con would be great but what would you take out ?
Old 08-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Crossed01
Learning the Ropes

I agree, no tetherwolf. I tried the deck again and got locked up by ophion. Maybe a side deck with a little focus against lswarms.

Additional Comment:

I didn't notice that I forgot to add gorz into the deck. Runs great without him. But I suppose it's a preference.

Last edited by Crossed01 : 08-24-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Eukerion

Quote:
I agree, no tetherwolf. I tried the deck again and got locked up by ophion. Maybe a side deck with a little focus against lswarms.
Yes Evilswarms will be a great threat to this deck, it's a "natural weakness". Side decking comes later I think, for now I'd rather focus on the Main Deck because I still think there are inconsistencies...

I'd like a good WATER Dragon-Type monster (preferably level 7), do you know one ? I thought about Ice Dragon, I think it's fine but not so useful due to its level (5). It can be used for a Synchro though...
Old 08-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Crossed01
Learning the Ropes

Dragon ice... I don't like it. You would have to use it as a defense on your opponents turn more often than yours. Maybe Frost and Flame Dragon. It's a level 6 which can get you to black rose, but you wouldn't have very many water monsters to use it with. However it would let you use tidals effect when it's banished. Not sure what to switch out for it though.

Additional Comment:

With Dragon Ice, you may also have to work around you extra deck too. Even if you could use it to you could bring it out on your turn.

Additional Comment:

Oh and with Frost and Flame Dragon, you could use blasters effect (cuz i only mentioned tidal) to go for flamevell guard and then go for that level 7 synchro if you wanted to. Or pull out a level 8 synchro with a token still on the field.

Last edited by Crossed01 : 08-24-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
Eukerion

Quote:
Dragon ice... I don't like it. You would have to use it as a defense on your opponents turn more often than yours. Maybe Frost and Flame Dragon. It's a level 6 which can get you to black rose, but you wouldn't have very many water monsters to use it with. However it would let you use tidals effect when it's banished. Not sure what to switch out for it though.

With Dragon Ice, you may also have to work around you extra deck too. Even if you could use it to you could bring it out on your turn.

Oh and with Frost and Flame Dragon, you could use blasters effect (cuz i only mentioned tidal) to go for flamevell guard and then go for that level 7 synchro if you wanted to. Or pull out a level 8 synchro with a token still on the field.
Yes, could be a good idea ! Maybe I'll just try out with one to begin with, it's searchable via Tidal anyway. What should I take out ? One Maxx "C" ?
Old 08-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
Crossed01
Learning the Ropes

Maxx c would be ok. The deck searches like crazy anyway. However, if you decide Dragon Ice over Frost and Flame Dragon, then a good combo with Dragon Ice is when you have a Formula Synchron on the field and Dragon Ice in you hand and its you opponents turn. If he or she special summons, you could ditch Dragon Ice for its own effect an then use formula to synchro for Black Rose Dragon. But that's the only thing I could see Dragon Ice being used for.

Last edited by Crossed01 : 08-24-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #19
Eukerion

Quote:
Maxx c would be ok. The deck searches like crazy anyway. However, if you decide Dragon Ice over Frost and Flame Dragon, then a good combo with Dragon Ice is when you have a Formula Synchron on the field and Dragon Ice in you hand and its you opponents turn. If he or she special summons, you could ditch Dragon Ice for its own effect an then use formula to synchro for Black Rose Dragon. But that's the only thing I could see Dragon Ice being used for.
Thank you for your input. I still hesitate between the 2, but I will go for Frost and Flame Dragon for now because it can help activate the effects of Blaster and Tidal. But once he's on the graveyard he's useless (except he's Dragon-Type so he's fodder for any Dragon in the deck).

Any other suggestions ?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
Crossed01
Learning the Ropes

I tried out Frost and Flame Dragon and it turns out that he can work. His effect can ditch a dragon ruler to the grave from your hand and then you can play that dragon from your grave. It works with tidal a little, however you need to leave 1 tidal in your deck to use tidal's effect when he gets banished. The only other suggestion I have is in regards to Shooting Star Dragon. I haven't been able to get the two monsters on the field to bring him out. Unless you use redox's eff to special from the grave, I'm not sure if shooting star is needed.

Last edited by Crossed01 : 08-25-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #21
Eukerion

Quote:
I tried out Frost and Flame Dragon and it turns out that he can work. His effect can ditch a dragon ruler to the grave from your hand and then you can play that dragon from your grave. It works with tidal a little, however you need to leave 1 tidal in your deck to use tidal's effect when he gets banished.
Yup usually I always have 1 Tidal left in the deck. I'll test Frost and Flame Dragon then.

Quote:
The only other suggestion I have is in regards to Shooting Star Dragon. I haven't been able to get the two monsters on the field to bring him out. Unless you use redox's eff to special from the grave, I'm not sure if shooting star is needed.
I know right ?! But what would you see as a good replacement for this card in the Extra Deck ? (aside from a 2nd Star Eater since I don't own one)
Old 08-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
Crossed01
Learning the Ropes

Orient dragon maybe. Perfect for Maxx "C" and debri dragon. Chances are better than shooting star. And players are playing syncro monster pretty often

Additional Comment:

There's also Gungnir, Dragon of the Ice Barrier. Level 7 dragon water.

Last edited by Crossed01 : 08-25-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #23
Robot0803
Pojo Veteran

Robot0803 is on a distinguished road

thoughts on pot of duplicity post shadow spectres?

Gigavise Deck http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=795081

FEAR ME

PROPS TO SATANIC GOKU FOR THE SIG

Member of team xFSUx
Robot0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #24
Crossed01
Learning the Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot0803 View Post
thoughts on pot of duplicity post shadow spectres?
Hmm. I'm thinking that you'd want the cards in your grave for this deck to work. Pot of duplicity would throw them back to the deck. Yea, granted its a plus 2 and you could easily search for them; however, the spell count in the deck seems fine. Plus the draw power is pretty good too. I also think that pot of duplicity would become a less useful card in this deck than the rest. You also don't want this card in your hand first turn.

Additional Comment:

Orient dragon is an awesome replacement. Gungnir won't work unless you use frost and flame for material.

Last edited by Crossed01 : 08-25-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #25
Eukerion

Quote:
Hmm. I'm thinking that you'd want the cards in your grave for this deck to work. Pot of duplicity would throw them back to the deck. Yea, granted its a plus 2 and you could easily search for them; however, the spell count in the deck seems fine. Plus the draw power is pretty good too. I also think that pot of duplicity would become a less useful card in this deck than the rest. You also don't want this card in your hand first turn.
Yes I don't think it should be necessary for this particular deck but it could be interesting though. I'll see when SHSP comes out anyway...

Quote:
Orient dragon is an awesome replacement. Gungnir won't work unless you use frost and flame for material.
Yes Orient should do it. I just have to get one :P

There's another solution to get Gungnir out quickly, it's Debris + Snowman Eater, I already considered playing it but it clugs sometimes... Don't know. What do you think ?