Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh! Tournament Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Sylexus
This isnt long eno

Default YCS Dallas 2012 - Chain Burn

I'd like to start off by thanking Julia for signing my token, Ruben (blah23) for advice on the deck prior to the event, and my friends for letting me bum off a ride and lodgings.

For a first YCS it was pretty great, ended up 6-3 and ranked at 197, everyone I dueled was a nice person and a good sport. I won't post full names here for privacy respect.

Also my first report, my friend coerced me into writing it, not even sure if I'm doing it right. I'll post my decklist at the bottom.

Alright, I had 2 hours of sleep Friday night, no food all of Saturday, so I was living off any candy I had stashed in my backpack.

Game 1- Vs Daniel (Wind-Up Chaos Rabbit)
Round 1: He gets the roll and normals Wind-Up Rabbit, I panic the hell out thinking he's gonna loop next turn, I set my whole hand but he doesn't realize what I'm playing despite this. He hits me for 1400, then I pull a massive chain for game.
Round 2: He pulls a decree on the first turn, proceeds to BLS along with a Utopia or something, beats my face in on turn 3. Didn't top deck anything useful =/
Round 3: I open with 2 Dimension Walls and 1 Magic Cylinder along with an MST, I MST his decree on turn 2 and let him kill himself out.
I take the win
1-0

Game 2- Vs Timothy (HERO Beat)
Round 1: I opened with 2 secret barrels and a Marshmallon, he couldn't push it off the field in time and I win with a ceasefire.
Round 2: He calls the judge on me because I was double sleeving, judge gives me a warning and tells me to desleeve, opponent was nice enough to offer his sleeves though. I get hit for 1400 from something (can't remember what), Then take him down to 2400. I pulled Cylinder on his Abs Zero, but he forbidden lanced it off and proceeded to win next turn with a swarm.
Round 3: He pots on the first turn, I see the Gorz and we both stall for a good 10 minutes, I managed to draw into an OTK but didn't want to risk it til I drew Ojama Trio. Judge comes to tell us that we're one of the last duels and gives us 5 rounds. I finally normal summon a scarecrow so I can hit him with a ceasefire and end up winning from time because my LPs were higher (he had set stuff by this point)
2-0

Game 3- Vs Alex (Frogs)
Round 1: This guy goes to my locals, he recognized me and proceeded to Taunt for the first round. He won the roll and started with a really nice hand, I panicked because last time I fought frogs they were running Jinzo, luckily he wasn't. He didn't gain any traction or pull any big hitters. I end up winning with Ojama Trio and Desserts.
Round 2: He pulls Light & Darkness on turn 2. I drew into Lava Golem too late. He takes it easily, Light & Darkness is kind of too good against my deck =/
Round 3: We had a huge time stall and ended up having a judge come watch us finish our last turns. He puts me down to 400 on my Last Turn with him at 1000, I Pot of Duality and pray. He sees what I could pull with it and scoops despite the fact that Secret Barrel wouldn't have been able to work til the next turn (which I didn't have). His friend points this out but the judge declared it my win.
3-0

Game 4- Vs Christopher (Wind-Up Zektor)
Round 1: He hit me with a Wind-Up Rabbit, I let him swarm and double Just Desserts, finished it off with a Chain Strike.
Round 2: I predicted sided Decrees but was met with a Wind-Up loop instead. No way I could recover, he BLS'd my face in.
Round 3: Sided Elephant Statues, got to drop 1 of them on him during the loop. He still pulled it off, I desperately one dayed of peace for hope and got another, the 2nd one yielded an Accumulated Fortune and he had a full field by then. GG for me
First loss.
3-1

Game 5- Vs Aaron (Inzektors)
Round 1: He doesn't show up for 3 minutes, I'm hoping I get the free win so I can go to my friend's car and grab the food and use the lavatory while I'm at it. He shows up 15 seconds before judges were gonna give it to me. He proceeds to win the roll and open up with a godly hand and absolutely wreck me.
Round 2: I play safe and stall him out until I'm sure I can OTK. He unexpectedly drops an Effect Veiler on my Marshmallon for seemingly no reason. Turns out he had a BLS, but the veiler was the 200 pts I needed from Secret Barrel to get the win. I get him to 100 exactly and he OTKs the crap out of me.
Another loss.
3-2

I had to take a #2 in between these rounds and some ******* ran into the restroom and yelled that they put pairings up so I had to stop my dump early (making me uncomfortable and cranky for the rest of the day), turns out he lied and we still had 10 minutes. I was pretty pissed.

Game 6- Vs Tuy (Sabersworn)
Round 1: Not even sure what to expect, he dropped some of his cards when shuffling but all I saw were a Forbidden Lance and a Fiendish Chain so I was kind of thinking HERO beat or Skill Drain. He plays only lightsworn monsters for the first 2 turns then bum rushed X-saber's on me. I only took dmg from a Lyla and Fullhelm and he made a Barkion. Then I did something that I later realized was an illegal play but I had asked the judge and he said I could do it. I chained 4 traps to his Barkion, effectively getting a Chain Strike off on chain link 10 (of course I had forgotten about the activation requirement of it) but nevertheless hit him for 4000 (I'm sorry about that if you do read this).
Round 2: He gets off a decree, I play math games in my head to see if I can get him to 0. I misplay a Lava Golem and it costed me game.
Round 3: He gets me down to 2000 LPs very fast, then proceeds to summon Beast AND Barkion. He asks me to sign the sheet for his win but I respond with a Lava Golem. It goes downhill for him from there because I pulled a 6400 dmg chain (that was legal this time) taking the game.
4-2

Game 7: Vs Steven (Wind-Ups)
Round 1: He was a really nice guy, he told me straight off that he was running Wind-Ups, I told him I was running Nordic but felt bad for that later. We had to restart because our last name corner got messed up apparently, we just sat back to where we were and did a redux. He opens with only a Rabbit (just like the other 2 Wind-Up guys), once again I feared the loop and set everything. I Lava Golem his stuff the next turn (he didn't pull the loop) and take 3k then OTK him the next turn.
Round 2: I predict the decrees, but I should have sided the elephant statues for the loop, he pulls it off even better than most Wind-Ups I've seen and got me down to 1 Lava Golem. I use it and get him down 1000 and then got ROFLstomped.
Round 3: I got to go first and that saved my ass. I set all but the elephant statue and got him down to 1800 on turn 3. He pulls the loop and hits my statue winning the game for me.
5-2

Game 8: Vs Natasha (Dinozektors)
Round 1: She opened with a Sabersaurus and I figured I was just playing against Dinos. I severely misplayed by not Dimension Walling it that first attack because the Laggia ruined me. I would have won the round had I flipped it.
Round 2: Still didn't learn my lesson (I'm stupid some times) and didn't just cylinder her first Kabazauls. She stormed me and brought me down to 1400. I had her at 1600 and had I cylindered earlier I would have won it, I then set a Dimension Wall but it got horneted. She took the game easily.
5-3

Game 9: Vs Jonathan (60 Card Sand Gambler FTK)
Round 1: He didn't show up because his deck was too good and he already won his place in the top 2.
They were nice and let me have a free win since I stood no chance against him.
6-3

And that's that. Here was my deck:

Monsters- 7
2x Lava Golem
2x Swift Scarecrow
2x Marshmallon
1x Morphing Jar

Spells- 9
3x Pot of Duality
3x One Day of Peace
2x Chain Strike
1x Scapegoats

Traps- 24
3x Just Desserts
3x Accumulated Fortune
3x Secret Barrel
3x Reckless Greed
2x Legacy of Yata-Garasu
2x Magic Cylinder
2x Dimension Wall
2x Ojama Trio
1x Jar of Greed
1x Ceasefire
1x Threatening Roar
1x Metal Reflect Slime

Extra Deck-
1x Stardust Dragon
14x Troll Cards

Side Deck- 15
2x Mystical Space Typhoon
2x Nature's Reflection
1x Battle Fader
2x Elephant Statue of Disaster
1x Volcanic Queen
1x Lava Golem
1x Thunder Short
1x Double Snare
1x Light Imprisoning Mirror
1x Shadow Imprisoning Mirror
2x Arcana Force 0 - The Fool
Originally Posted by Boltizar View Post
I love the card sleeves.
I love the booster packs.
I love this card game.
The haters need a smack.

Boom de yada Boom de yada

Last edited by Sylexus : 04-16-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Sylexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
hiatus
WOO WOO SWAG

interesting build and a good read.
Seems like you learned from not using the Dwall/cylinders haha
I think I'll have to try out the elephant statues, those work against Dark World as well right?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Squiddy
AWSOEM DUALIST PRO

fail

so whose the guy nur image aggain ?
Squiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Sylexus
This isnt long eno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddy View Post
fail

so whose the guy nur image aggain ?
Ohai Squiddy. Weren't you banned or something?
I love the card sleeves.
I love this card game.
The haters need a smack.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
blah23
Pojo Veteran

You got greedy especially vs dinos. Take the 1700/1900 for d-wall/cylinder whenever you can. It's almost 1/4 their LP. Good day tho with more experience you could probably do better next time
Level 1 Player Management
Level 1 Tournament Organization

Qualified 06,07,08,09,10,12
Over 10 regional top 8's
19th @ sjc phoenix 07
winner of 1k tournament at card rush with chain strike 12/15/07

Top 16 YCS Long Beach

Team Sack
blah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Sylexus
This isnt long eno

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah23 View Post
You got greedy especially vs dinos. Take the 1700/1900 for d-wall/cylinder whenever you can. It's almost 1/4 their LP
No doubt. Thanks for your help. I think I played the deck 200 times in prep for this. Your build was probably the most consistent, but I find myself using some personal tastes.

Your theory on the reflect slime was perfect, they either had to storm, MST, or black rose it off. No one I played could beat it with sheer force.
I love the card sleeves.
I love this card game.
The haters need a smack.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
blah23
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylexus View Post
No doubt. Thanks for your help. I think I played the deck 200 times in prep for this. Your build was probably the most consistent, but I find myself using some personal tastes.

Your theory on the reflect slime was perfect, they either had to storm, MST, or black rose it off. No one I played could beat it with sheer force.

The 3000 token and scapegoats are broken lol. It stalls them a couple turns and if they finally mst they walk straight into d-wall/cylinder =)

Yours is almost the same except u added a 2nd scarecrow and a marsh for the roar and legacy. Marshs are broken vs most decks except inzektors

Over 10 regional top 8's
19th @ sjc phoenix 07

Top 16 YCS Long Beach

Team Sack
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Sylexus
This isnt long eno

Quote:
Marshs are broken vs most decks except inzektors
And ironically that's what got me my 3 losses

I put 1 Jar and 2 legacy to keep consistency on chains I had to strike or accumulate. I was kind of thinking of siding a legacy for Chaos piper but I never fought it (I did sit next to 2 Chaos Pipers though)

Was disappointed you weren't there, maybe I'll meet you at a regionals or something.
I love the card sleeves.
I love this card game.
The haters need a smack.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
blah23
Pojo Veteran

Quote:
And ironically that's what got me my 3 losses

I put 1 Jar and 2 legacy to keep consistency on chains I had to strike or accumulate. I was kind of thinking of siding a legacy for Chaos piper but I never fought it (I did sit next to 2 Chaos Pipers though)

Was disappointed you weren't there, maybe I'll meet you at a regionals or something.

I rarely travel unless its close. But i'll probably be going to nats. Marshs are fine but did anyone dolkka them? At least you and your friend tried the deck and can see I didn't have to cheat to win lol

Over 10 regional top 8's
19th @ sjc phoenix 07

Top 16 YCS Long Beach

Team Sack
Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Sylexus
This isnt long eno

Quote:
I rarely travel unless its close. But i'll probably be going to nats. Marshs are fine but did anyone dolkka them? At least you and your friend tried the deck and can see I didn't have to cheat to win lol
Funny story about the Dolkkas. I kept trying to Taunt the Dinozektor chick into summoning them but she kept making Laggia. It really didn't matter because she had already horneted my one marsh I drew and I had a Lava Golem in hand anyway. I did side in 1 Fool against her but I never drew it. Didn't matter either. I was just playing dumb that match and trying my luck to overextend. I learned a good lesson from it too.

Yeah, I don't see how you would have cheated. I talked to the head judge guy about your decree problem (because my friend got ruled the opposite when he used his decree on a Final Countdown guy) he kind of shrugged me off and told me you played your trap before the decree and the provisions didn't count it for some reason? Not sure why it wouldn't, even if it was negated it should be on the field for resolution.
I love the card sleeves.
I love this card game.
The haters need a smack.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
lava_golem

the statue elephant is very nice, when wind up send ur hand, as you recover?
lava_golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Sylexus
This isnt long eno

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiatus View Post
interesting build and a good read.
Seems like you learned from not using the Dwall/cylinders haha
I think I'll have to try out the elephant statues, those work against Dark World as well right?
Sorry :X Thought you were highonpie for some reason (probably the avatar) and I was talking to him on FB so I didn't feel the need to respond.
But yeah, Elephant Statues worked great in this deck, honestly I think that Electric Snake is probably the better counterpart for other decks, but it's up to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lava_golem View Post
the statue elephant is very nice, when wind up send ur hand, as you recover?
Wha? Is that sarcasm? I honestly cannot tell.
I love the card sleeves.
I love this card game.
The haters need a smack.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
hiatus
WOO WOO SWAG

Quote:
Sorry :X Thought you were highonpie for some reason (probably the avatar) and I was talking to him on FB so I didn't feel the need to respond.
But yeah, Elephant Statues worked great in this deck, honestly I think that Electric Snake is probably the better counterpart for other decks, but it's up to you.

Wha? Is that sarcasm? I honestly cannot tell.
Electric Snake looks sexi. I'll have to try out both and see what I think.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
Cyberzilla
Pojo Veteran

I made a thread on here a while ago for Elephant in chain burn, and it was dismissed.

Glad to see it worked pretty well.

Good build, although, I still hate scapegoat, did that work well?

.... Holy ****, I must have slipped into the twilight zone....

Sig by mrxtothez
Cyberzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
Sylexus
This isnt long eno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberzilla View Post
I made a thread on here a while ago for Elephant in chain burn, and it was dismissed.

Glad to see it worked pretty well.

Good build, although, I still hate scapegoat, did that work well?
Ah, you must have changed your avatar since I last frequented Pojo and I had forgotten your name.
But yes, I've been preaching statue because of you Cyber, it tested excellently and no one saw it coming. Elephant Statue 4 lyfe.

Scapegoat always works wonders because at worst case you can chain it to add links for fortune or strike.
I love the card sleeves.
I love this card game.
The haters need a smack.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #16
Squiddy
AWSOEM DUALIST PRO

hay silexis whos the guy n ur picture?? is it dragon queast ?
Squiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
Singing Soul
America'n'Jesus<3

chido
I've some questions.
What is Nature's Reflection used against?\

Get Real News Here: The Conservative Treehouse. | American Thinker
Click Here if you want to learn more about God and Christianity.
Singing Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
hiatus
WOO WOO SWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing Soul View Post
chido
I've some questions.
What is Nature's Reflection used against?\
Mirror matches against burn.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
Singing Soul
America'n'Jesus<3

they exist????? lol

Get Real News Here: The Conservative Treehouse. | American Thinker
Click Here if you want to learn more about God and Christianity.
Singing Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #20
Sylexus
This isnt long eno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddy View Post
hay silexis whos the guy n ur picture?? is it dragon queast ?
I'll tell you when you meet me IRL. It's a super special secret.
I love the card sleeves.
I love this card game.
The haters need a smack.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #21
Gentlemander

what is this Sand Gambler ftk deck and why did it go 5-3
But when I do, my opponent plays frogs.