Go Back   Pojo.com Forums > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Yu-Gi-Oh TCG Strategies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
wtfotkd
Derp Derp Gyzarus

wtfotkd is on a distinguished road
Default The Guide to the Side Deck

The almighty guide to the side deck
NEW- Updated for the Sept 09 format IN THE BEGINNING, right now I still do not have a full knowledge about the current tier 1 decks so bear with me for a while.
Also, please note I am not going to post every single side deck option, just some common ones. Please don't post with suggestions on some cards to add to the lists.
I. INTRO
II. SIDE DECK BASICS
III. CURRENCT TIER 1 DECKS AND THEIR WEAKNESSES
IV. SYNERGY: DOES YOUR SIDE DECK WORK WITH YOUR DECK?
V. BALANCE: MAKE YOUR SIDE DECK WORK AGAINST VARIOUS DECKS
VI. VERSATILITY: KILLING 2 BIRDS WITH 1 STONE IMPORTANT: MUST READ
VII. SIDING INTO A DIFFERENT DECK

I. INTRODUCTION
Ok Pojo, As you have probably already guessed, this thread is all about the side deck and how to make it the most effective. This guide was borne from all the blasphemy I have heard about side decks, like they are some kind of joke. If you are not an idiot, you have found out that the side deck is srs bizness. A lot of the time, it can decide the outcome of a match. I cannot count the times I have won a match because of some proper side decking, and I have lost many matches because of some amazing siding by my opponent.

II. SIDE DECK BASICS
Everyone needs to start somewhere, and this doesn’t change with the side deck. Before you do some outlandish and crazy side decking, you need to start with the basics. An easy side deck will have generally 5 cards, with 3 of each card to counter various decks. This is an example of a very generic and basic side deck.
3 Light Imprisoning Mirror
3 GB Hunter
3 Dust Tornado
3 Threatening roar
3 Prohibition

By the way, This is the only side deck that I will post, as a side deck should be based on personal preference, the meta at whatever local you play, and the current top decks.
Anyway, this side deck is tempting as it has very obvious answers to the current top decks. But as I will go over in the rest of the guide, the side deck needs a little bit more thought than that. On to the next section:

III. CURRENT TIER 1 DECKS AND THEIR WEAKNESSES
Just like in every other format there has been, this format has a few top decks. I am going to go over them in this section, along with some counters to help you deal with them.
1.Lightsworn. This deck relies on milling their own decks, and creating a sort of “toolbox” from their graveyard using their main recursion card, Lumina the Lightsworn Summoner. Before summoning Lumina, the will generally use Charge of the Light Brigade and Solar Recharge to get her to their hand. They protect their Luminas with various cards, the most common ones being Honest, Necro Guardna, and Threatening roar. After they do some decent damage with swarming, they summon Judgment Dragon seemingly from nowhere, destroy the field, and attack for game. However, this all stems from Lumina. If you can stop Lumina’s effect, or stop her from hitting the field in the first place, you can effectively stop Lightsworn.
POSSIBLE SIDE DECK OPTIONS
-Light Imprisoning Mirror
-Skill Drain
-Dimensional Fissure
-Brain Golem
-Thunder King Rai-Oh
-Mind Crush
-Divine wrath

2. Blackwings. I had to retype this section because of the ban on Dark Strike, significantly changing Blackwing gameplay. Basically, Blackwings are a swarm deck, with some beatdown elements. They Special Summon a lot, and hit you hard with pumped up Boras. They don’t synchro nearly as much now with the limit on Gale and the ban on DSF, so this is not as much of a problem, but they can still be a contender in the metagame with their ability to outspeed an opponent. Also, with the advent of Solidarity, Blackwings can now be even more beatsticky. Vayu is another deck that is having limited success in the tcg.
-Royal Oppression
-Bottomless Trap Hole
-Threatening Roar
-Dimensional Prison.

3. Gladiator Beast. These guys can be annoying. They rely on attacking with their monsters, then sending back to the deck and Special Summoning either a bigger monster or a monster with an effect like destroying a card on the field. They use their Fusion monsters heavily, and they gain card advantage because they destroy your cards very efficiently. (Although no longer T1, glads still run rampant at the local level, so I am including them.)
-Divine Wrath
-Royal Oppression
-Mirror of Oaths
-Bottomless Trap Hole
-D.D. Crow (Remove their single Bestiari for omgpwnage)
-Dimensional Prison
-Thunder King Rai-Oh
-Threatening Roar

4. Destiny Hero Zombie. This deck uses 3 copies of D-Draw and 4-5 Destiny Heroes to speed up the deck. Putting Malicious in the grave quickly is key, as is getting Mezukis and Plaguespreader. This deck focuses on abusing Mezuki and Plaguespreader to create quick synchros without losing much advantage. Mezuki puts a Plague on the field for a +1, and the Plague can synchro for a level 6 for basically a free synchro. Destiny Hero Malicious helps to get a level 8 Synchro onto the field quickly. It then uses Burial From the Different Dimension to do it all over again. This deck is very fast and consistent right now, and is a force to be reckoned with.
-Kycoo
-Dimensional Fissure
-Soul Release
-Royal Oppression
+anything else that screws with the grave and special summoning.
Obviously, depending on the format, different decks dominate, like a few formats ago did with Tele-Dad. Since there was 1 main top deck last format, it wasn’t hard to create an effective side deck.

IV. SYNERGY
Now obviously, your side deck can’t stay the same with every deck you build. In one deck, a Light Imprisoning Mirror might be a really nice choice, but in another, it can be useless. For example, if your deck already runs a ton of continuous Spells and Traps, a Light Imprisoning Mirror might not be the best choice. And of course, if your deck runs more than a few LIGHT monsters, it won’t be a very good pick. Same goes for Royal Oppression. Just because it hurts Gladiator Beasts more than your deck, doesn’t mean it is a good choice.

Also, try to make the cards in your side deck fit well with your theme, as this will let your deck flow as if you had not made any changes. For example, Royal Oppression is a good card to use against Gladiator Beasts, but if your deck runs a lot of Flip Effect monsters and stalling monsters G.B. Hunter is probably a better choice. Also, to even further the ease of flow and a smooth transition, when siding in a match, try to remove cards from your deck that 1. least help you against the opponent, and 2. are used in a similar way to the card you are siding in. This may seem hard to do, and, well, it is. Balancing these 2 key points when siding will allow you to use your side deck to its fullest potential.

The ultimate point of synergy is when your deck theme has a card that would go perfectly in your side deck, such as Six Samurai have Kamon and Lightsworn have Lyla. I recommend sticking cards like these in your side deck as soon as possible as they will flow with your deck perfectly.

V. BALANCE

Always, always, always, always keep your side deck balanced. By this, I mean create a side deck that will be able to deal with multiple decks. Leaving yourself wide open to a surprise attack from Blackwings is NOT a good idea. However, to save room, don’t side deck for decks you don’t need to side against. For example, if your main deck is Oppression Gadgets or Little City, it would be a waste of space to switch around your deck to act against Gladiator Beasts. Balance also means that you adjust your side deck according to your meta. If for some reason Chain Burn is a very popular deck in your area, then put some side deck cards in for Chain Burn. Likewise, if no one plays Lightsworn, then don’t dedicate too much room for Lightsworn. HOWEVER, if you are going to Regionals or Nationals, I would advise you to completely change your side deck from what you normally use in your local. At regionals, it is WAY more competitive, and you will have to adjust your side deck to counteract the more expensive decks if it isn’t already armed to do so. Although it isn’t relevant in this format as much as it was in the Tele-DaD format, Nationals will have a completely different deck breakdown. In the Tele-DaD format it was almost all Tele-DaD. Obviously then, dedicating a few cards to Monarchs Probably wouldn’t be very smart.

VI. VERSATILITY

If you don’t read any other section, read this one, even though it will be short and sweet. The cards in your side deck need to be versatile, which means they should be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Bottomless Trap Hole, for example, beats both Synchro Cat and Blackwings pretty well, so instead of having to dedicate perhaps 4-6 slots in your side deck, you only have to dedicate 3. See where I’m going with this? If you can do this with almost every single card in the side deck, the amount of answers you will be able to fit in there will be enormous, and trust me, your win rate will go up drastically. Also, try to keep rogue decks in mind. I always keep at least 2 Threatening Roar in my side deck because it works well against every kind of swarm and OTK there is. With Threatening Roar, I am killing more than 2 birds with 1 stone.

VII. SIDING INTO A DIFFERENT DECK
This is pretty advanced stuff, and I don’t really like to do it much, but it is something you should try at least once. Some people, although it is VERY rare, like to create decks that they can side out into a different deck with the same flavor. I have seen Macro Decks sided into Fissure Glads and Cornarchs sided into PC Monarchs. This can add some interesting twists to a match, but remember, it isn’t always effective and it can be extremely difficult to find the right build with this type of deck. Like I said, this is advanced stuff.

Updated with a slightly different format for suggesting side deck options.
Originally Posted by Micky v's View Post
Superpolymerization is a spell speed 4. Which to my knowledge is pretty frickin fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Corps View Post
Is Kevin really just a floating brain in a jar o.o

Last edited by wtfotkd : 01-17-2010 at 01:28 PM.
wtfotkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:15 AM   #2
BurnMaster369
AKA Mr. Hamster DN

BurnMaster369 is on a distinguished road

First.

Nice and Short
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Forgemaster View Post
Heh, I like your setup BurnMaster369.
BurnMaster369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #3
.:Fighter:.
Love and Tolerance

.:Fighter:. is on a distinguished road

Nice job.

I need to try out a Sideboard for one or 2 of my decks.
Kamon should be in my Samurai side, for sure.
ORBITAL FRIENDSHIP CANNON
.:Fighter:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
RyukTG
Not myself

RyukTG is on a distinguished road

decent guide, but you forgot a few cards. also, BTH, the only cards listed to counter synchro cat, does nothing with coldwave active. here are some cards worth knowing you forgot:

book of moon
king tiger wanghu
burden of the mighty
evacuation device
mind crush
skill drain
divine wrath (for bw and ls too)
Enemy Controller

i suggest you list under each deck type the cards to side against them.
RyukTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Uncle Jinzo
BEAT*FACE*WIN.

Uncle Jinzo is on a distinguished road

Good read,as I must admit, the construction of side decks has always been a boggle for me. Thanks.

Of course, I understand that the concept here is outside your frame of reference, which apparently upsets you for some reason. But don't be upset, it'll be ok. You can still run your own deck and your ideas will still be valid.
Uncle Jinzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Jungle Fresh
Pojo Veteran

Jungle Fresh is on a distinguished road

Good work..
Old 07-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Ghaleonh41
魔探偵ロキ

Ghaleonh41 is on a distinguished road

Cool guide! You should make sure to edit it for each format. Keep up the good work!

Ghaleonh41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
wtfotkd
Derp Derp Gyzarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambull View Post
decent guide, but you forgot a few cards. also, BTH, the only cards listed to counter synchro cat, does nothing with coldwave active. here are some cards worth knowing you forgot:

book of moon
king tiger wanghu
burden of the mighty
evacuation device
mind crush
skill drain
divine wrath (for bw and ls too)
Enemy Controller

i suggest you list under each deck type the cards to side against them.
Thanks, I'll fit those in.
Superpolymerization is a spell speed 4. Which to my knowledge is pretty frickin fast.
Quote:
Old 07-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
teamgrumpyfish
no words needed.

teamgrumpyfish is on a distinguished road

good read, subbing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousToast View Post
Dey see me trollin'
Rick rollin'
this ban list will make my brios 30
tryna get my brios 30
tryna get my brios 30
I need my brios 30
tryna get my brios 30
teamgrumpyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
wtfotkd
Derp Derp Gyzarus

updated.
also, bump.
Quote:
Old 07-06-2009, 01:05 AM   #11
HarunoSakura
Blossom Alchemist

HarunoSakura is on a distinguished road

If I ever use a side deck, this should be helpful in constructing one.

Kimi wa kimi dake shika inai yo
Kawari nante hoka ni inainda
Karenai de Ichirin no Hana

You are the only 'you'
There is no such thing as your replacement
Don't wilt away, single flower

On that day you don't have enough strength for the burdens you bare, I will be there.
HarunoSakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 AM   #12
xx_adverb_xx
Pojo Veteran

xx_adverb_xx is on a distinguished road

For Gladiator Beast, a card that REALLY hurts them is Rivalry of Warlords since GB cards are a mix of a bunch of different monsters. Of course, you have to be running a deck with the same monster type for it to be really effective.
xx_adverb_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #13
wtfotkd
Derp Derp Gyzarus

bump.
Im gonna get this a few views before i let it die.
Quote:
Old 07-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
Blizard Knight

Blizard Knight is on a distinguished road

hey, this is a great thread gd for ppl like me who have diff makin side decks
also free bump

-Bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlew View Post
Im sure yugi draws his crap and looks at and goes in his head "WtF I RUN THIS!? Awseme..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbellum View Post
who the heck is kevin. why are you so mad at him that he cant pay for cards like most people.
-
Blizard Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #15
RenegadeSeraph
The DNA Transplant

RenegadeSeraph is on a distinguished road

good job

No /\'ing

Debris Hime
Machina

RenegadeSeraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:54 AM   #16
xx_adverb_xx
Pojo Veteran

xx_adverb_xx is on a distinguished road

Siding into different decks. I've tried it before, and if my current (most likely suicidal change to my deck doesn't work), I'll probably try it again soon.

I have it going with a Magical Citadel deck that I can swap around with Secret Village/Maha Vailo deck but it's only decent at best and not my main deck.

I found running a GK deck though back in the day, people in my area at least would often have part of their side deck set to take me out. After game 1, they'd get rid of a lot of their graveyard manipulating cards for extra cards to help kill magic/traps. If I saw people side decking, I'd side deck into a regular spellcaster deck. Really is hard to pull off, but it does through people for a loop.
xx_adverb_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #17
ArcticPenguin
Hidden Data

ArcticPenguin is on a distinguished road

Subbing for originality
ArcticPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
Delta

Delta is on a distinguished road

or you could have your side deck be cards that are already in your deck. that way you can side 15 cards to freak out your opponent when you really didn't change anything.
Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #19
ArcticPenguin
Hidden Data

ArcticPenguin is on a distinguished road

Great stuff.

What about adding some card suggestions?
ArcticPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #20
wtfotkd
Derp Derp Gyzarus

Bump.
I'm going to update this each format.
Quote:
Old 08-09-2009, 01:37 AM   #21
Kudou Shinichi
. Retired .

Kudou Shinichi is on a distinguished road

1 month bump?

BTW, if warriors ever got any boost, I'd say siding 3 Kinetic Soldiers would help A LOT. XD

And against Dragons (most especially Hopeless Decks), I'd side with the upcoming Wicktoria.

Good luck, and good bye Pojo.

Trades | Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Black View Post
That's the one, and the truth and it prevails
Quote:
Originally Posted by PkMn Trainer View Post
Thanks Shinichi! Case closed ^__^;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvo819 View Post
Mr. Kudou, you are officially AWSUM SAWCE
Plays X-Sabers and Machina - Starships
Kudou Shinichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #22
justa

justa is on a distinguished road

is dust tornado good in a side deck?
justa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #23
Kudou Shinichi
. Retired .

Kudou Shinichi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa View Post
is dust tornado good in a side deck?
Mediocre, IMO, Malevolent Catastrophe is better.

Good luck, and good bye Pojo.

Trades | Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Black View Post
That's the one, and the truth and it prevails
Quote:
Originally Posted by PkMn Trainer View Post
Thanks Shinichi! Case closed ^__^;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvo819 View Post
Mr. Kudou, you are officially AWSUM SAWCE
Plays X-Sabers and Machina - Starships
Kudou Shinichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #24
drzero7

drzero7 is on a distinguished road

I prefer Dust IMO. Don't have to depend on them attacking.

Nice topic.
drzero7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #25
crushcardvirus1

crushcardvirus1 is on a distinguished road

As we all know or maybye some of you don't know a side is used to counter a wide range of very specific decks. A card like light imp mirror is a card we would never main deck since it does no good againt a dark deck. But a sidedeck is also used to change your deck up somewhat as well, I like to side deck lots of cards that can change my deck up depending on the player im up against, for example if i know a player sets a lot of back row i'll side more destruction for him. But i also sometimes outthink myself as well, i can count many times where i lose the first game then go to the side deck, and make my deck weaker in an effort to counter the other player. I offten wounder if everyone goes right to the sidedeck when they get blown off the table in the first game, or do they stay with it. Anyways good guide...just giving my two cents..
crushcardvirus1 is offline   Reply With Quote