View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 PM  
Mathzak
Learning the Ropes

Mathzak is on a distinguished road
Default My Gladiator Beast Build for March 2013

Before I even tell you all my deck profile, let me say this:
I've been playing Gladiator Beasts since the middle of 2010, have topped 5 YCS and 2 Nationals with Gladiator Beasts, so please know that I have knowledge of what a good build is. Now the problem with Gladiator Beasts is they can get outmuscled, outswarmed, and outplayed with the amount of swarming by other decks. I believe this build has found the perfect balance to compete with ANY deck. This deck profile got me Top 16 at YCS Phoenix, so here it is:

12 Monsters:
x3 Gladiator Beast Laquari
x2 Gladiator Beast Darius
x2 Gladiator Beast Equeste
x1 Gladiator Beast Bestiari
x1 Gladiator Beast Murmillo
x1 Gladiator Beast Hoplomus
x2 Thunder King Rai-Oh

14 Spells:
x2 Fire Formation - Tenki
x2 Gladiator Proving Ground
x3 Onslaught of the Fire Kings
x3 Forbidden Lance
x1 Mystical Space Typhoon
x1 Monster Reborn
x1 Dark Hole
x1 Heavy Storm

14 Traps:
x1 Solemn Judgment
x1 Solemn Warning
x2 Bottomless Trap Hole
x2 Dimensional Prison
x2 Gladiator Beast War Chariot
x2 Fiendish Chain
x2 Safe Zone
x1 Compulsory Evacuation Device
x1 Starlight Road

15 Extra Deck:
x2 Gladiator Beast Gyzarus
x1 Gladiator Beast Heraklinos
x1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon
x1 Number 39: Utopia
x1 Photon Papilloperative
x1 Steelswarm Roach
x1 Maestroke the Symphony Djinn
x1 Gagaga Cowboy
x1 Abyss Dweller
x1 Number 50: Blackship of Corn
x1 Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Tiger King
x1 Diamond Dire Wolf
x1 Number 16: Shock Master
x1 Stardust Dragon

15 Side Deck:
x2 Cyber Dragon
x2 Snowman Eater
x2 Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo
x1 Soul Taker
x2 Dimensional Fissure
x2 Mystical Space Typhoon
x1 Night Beam
x1 Skill Drain
x2 Mind Crush

Monster Explanations: 3 Laquari because it's the one GB you actually want to draw. Darius XYZs, Equeste loops, Bestiari pops, Murmillo Pops, Hoplomus is a good first turn wall (second game sideout for Snowman Eater and watch them attack into it), and TK mained because of how many searchers there are.

Spell Explanation: 2 Tenki and 2 Proving essentially makes it a 16 monster count. Test Tiger is TERRIBLE! It is essentially a -1 no matter what, and can easily be stopped/countered. I use Onslaught because it specials Laquari, allowing you to have 2 GBs on the field first turn, and even if it's effects are negated, sending back to the deck is a cost. 3 Lance and 1 MST because MST you're guessing which to hit, Lance lets you stop the trap you want to get rid of. Lance is also essential for winning battles with GBs.

Trap Explanation: I much prefer Safe Zone over Waboku because Safe Zone saves your monster from ANYTHING! Dark Hole? Safe Zone . Also, if they MST your face-down Safe Zone, activate it and target one of their monsters and it dies. Fiendish Chain is slowly becoming one of the best traps in the meta, and it does what Chariot would, but without a field just incase I find myself down. It also stops attacks, which is great!

Extra Deck Explanation: Essedarii is not a good out for really anything. Any 2 GBs you would have that could go into Essedarii, i'd rather go into a Cowboy or Tiger King to +. Speaking of Tiger King, It's a great card with Onslaught + Darius/Laquari in your hand second turn. Go into Tiger King, get out Tenki, Search a Laquari for next turn! And Diamond Dire Wolf because the majority of my GBs are Beast, Beast-Warrior or Winged-Beast. Plus, at the end of the battle phase, activate Diamond Dire Wolf's effect, then chain your GBs to go back into the deck, and you blow up a free card.

Side Deck Explanation: I'll just tell you mainly what the Side Deck cards would be used on:

Cyber Dragon: Karakuris, Geargias and Machina variants
Snowman Eater: Fire Fist and Dyno/Macro Rabbits
Fossil Dyna: Wind-Ups, Six Sams, Blackwings, Prophecies, and any deck that swarms quickly
Soul Taker: Chaos Dragons
Dimensional Fissure: Water, Inzektors, Dark Worlds, decks that relies on the grave
MST: Trap heavy decks and Fire Fists
Night Beam: Water
Skill Drain: Any deck that relies on monster effects that activate on the field (Ex. Fire Fists, Heroes, Lightsworns etc.)
Mind Crush: Fire Fists, Water, Prophecies (This card basically goes in any deck that can search)

Well, that's all guys! And keep in mind, every card in this deck has a purpose, and I wouldn't change a single detail. Good luck dueling, and have fun playing Yu-Gi-Oh!

Last edited by Mathzak : 04-12-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Mathzak is offline   Reply With Quote