PDA

View Full Version : Does Rarity Matter When Playing?

Enzan
01-20-2010, 03:38 AM
My friend said that after he changed his Heavy Storm to Parallel from Common, he almost always draws it early.

Soo, does rarity/holofoil matter? Does it somehow change the probability of drawing the cards?

mpeis007
01-20-2010, 03:41 AM
It only matters with parallel rare cards that can easily be stacked for you or against you from an experienced opponent...

MachineCyber
01-20-2010, 03:43 AM
Well sometimes also it make it hard to stack you if your card weigh more that what happens in regionals, shonen or other tournament.

ArcticPenguin
01-20-2010, 04:06 AM
I've done an experiment with my Koa'ki deck, and it seems that every time I use the Rare version of the Core, I draw into it more often than I do with the Ultra version...

Nomad_Skies
01-20-2010, 04:20 AM
Technically speaking, the only way that rarity should matter in the area of straight playability (ignoring personal aura & stacking of course) is when you're faced with having to run multiple rarities of the same card in the deck.

For example, if I'm running 2 Fissures, where one is Rare & the other Common, there's a greater chance of my opponent realizing that I'm running more than one copy, which could have been avoided by choosing to run 2 Rares or 2 Commons. The same could be said in regards to 1st ed & unlimited prints, as well as cards from different sets & of course differing artwork & printing shades

I don't know about you guys, but I'm usually one to notice this kind of thing, and that's why I prefer to keep my cards uniform. As in, it looks like I'm gonna need to find 2 more Gold Edition D.D. Warrior Ladies, or I'll have to continue running all commons. :)

Enzan
01-20-2010, 04:25 AM
Technically speaking, the only way that rarity should matter in the area of straight playability (ignoring personal aura & stacking of course) is when you're faced with having to run multiple rarities of the same card in the deck.

For example, if I'm running 2 Fissures, where one is Rare & the other Common, there's a greater chance of my opponent realizing that I'm running more than one copy, which could have been avoided by choosing to run 2 Rares or 2 Commons. The same could be said in regards to 1st ed & unlimited prints, as well as cards from different sets & of course differing artwork & printing shades

I don't know about you guys, but I'm usually one to notice this kind of thing, and that's why I prefer to keep my cards uniform. As in, it looks like I'm gonna need to find 2 more Gold Edition D.D. Warrior Ladies, or I'll have to continue running all commons. :)

Well, all of the YGO foils are slightly bent. Maybe that matters... or not?

Anyway, my Maliciouses have different rarities. And I don't mind if anyone knows that I am playing 2 of them :D

Ganondorf
01-20-2010, 04:46 AM
Well, all of the YGO foils are slightly bent. Maybe that matters... or not?

Anyway, my Maliciouses have different rarities. And I don't mind if anyone knows that I am playing 2 of them :D

i think that case-scenario doesnt really count since they cant work outside of a pair anyways.

i understand what the OP is saying, and i think i should test that theory out at my next locals.
should be interesting to see what results i get

ArcticPenguin
01-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Regardless, pile shuffling solves any rarity & shuffling problems.

Ally
01-20-2010, 04:50 AM
As with Nomad Skies, I ensure I have everything uniform for reasons similiar to him - whilst also being fussy!

I havn't tested this theory before, I think I will though to see if it happens.

camille7688
01-20-2010, 04:52 AM
There is a difference between a bended foil and a common, as people tend to cut to the bended foil better.

Angel Eyes
01-20-2010, 06:06 AM
My (perceived) OCD makes me want everything neat and the same. I couldn't care less about actual rarity so long as everything matches; I'd happily have a deck full of unlimited cards then odd edition mixes and rarities. I have a rare and common copy of Trade-In and it does bug me from time to time as I'd rather they matched.

As far as shuffling goes, I like it when everything is evenly random; I see it as half the fun not knowing what I'll get. In terms of 'feeling' and all that heart-of-the-cards stuff, I don't think it really works but if you do that's fine.

"Screw the rules, I'm the main character!"

Troop_Dupe_Scupe
01-20-2010, 08:55 AM
I don't know whether it's just me, but I seem to draw dustshoot more frequently in super than common.

Darksanctuary
01-20-2010, 08:59 AM
I don't know whether it's just me, but I seem to draw dustshoot more frequently in super than common.

i actually have same experience. maybe cause weighs more than a common due to being holofoil. (not including stacking terms)

Ganondorf
01-20-2010, 09:00 AM
i actually have same experience. maybe cause weighs more than a common due to being holofoil. (not including stacking terms)

thickness of the card too

Bonjwa
01-20-2010, 09:12 AM
This was exploited in the old run all common.dek with only parallel sangan and SJC crush card...

La+Ghost
01-20-2010, 10:48 AM
It doesn't.

I play Gold JD??? Nobody cares.

KogyochiBJ
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Soo, does rarity/holofoil matter? Does it somehow change the probability of drawing the cards?

........what? Is this an actual question?

ArcticPenguin
01-20-2010, 02:58 PM
It doesn't.

I play Gold JD??? Nobody cares.

What OP meant was when using foil versions of cards opposed to lower rarity ones (common or rare)

The_Silent
01-20-2010, 02:58 PM
I prefer the commons, most secrets look ugly, like leaks.

Tcwalter
01-20-2010, 03:05 PM
No .

million_knives1112
01-20-2010, 03:26 PM
i really don't think it matters but that is just me.

GGGRRRRRR
01-20-2010, 03:36 PM
they make bad decks look better.

common glad beast = free game

foil glad beast = maybe this could be trouble dun dun dun

monkmo89
01-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Changing a card from common to holo will not increase your chances of drawing it but it will in fact make your deck look better and smexy

r3skyline
01-20-2010, 03:39 PM
like hell rarity matters. if youre a good player, it wont matter whatsoever.

i play with a gadget deck. majority is nothin but commons. i still whoop ls, twilight, zombie, absol decks.

monkmo89
01-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Rarity doesent matter.....but shiny deck looks better

La+Ghost
01-20-2010, 04:20 PM
What OP meant was when using foil versions of cards opposed to lower rarity ones (common or rare)

Wouldn't matter either.

I mill/grab/play common JD. Nothing happens.

The_Snowy_Owl
01-20-2010, 04:22 PM
In terms of physical state of your deck, then yeah.

In terms of simple playability, hell no, if I take my deck anywhere outside locals (even to some of my friends) I add in the absolute lowest rarity

wtfotkd
01-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Like what nomad said.

Plus, if you are running 2 different dd warrior ladies, and you use warrior returning alive to get one to your hand and you play the other one, the opponent now knows that you hold a dd warrior lady. If you mess up on something like this, you might want to keep the rarities the same.

As for drawing chances, it's all in your head. the weight thing is stupid. THINK ABOUT HOW YOU SHUFFLE. how would the weight of the cards, or the curve matter?

ShinyPuffy
01-20-2010, 06:29 PM
It makes you feel good. The impact it makes on gameplay (shuffling, cutting, etc.) is negligible.

Infernus
01-20-2010, 07:49 PM
lol hello there Vandy Enzan :p IMO he is really good at stacking... so the rarity isn't matter hear the Dante's post?? he said he still get the Heavy Storm in first turn eventhough he using Gold Rare card lol

monkmo89
01-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Play holos make everyone stare in aw

Enzan
01-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Well, in my experience, rarity does matter (or foil vs non-foil)

For example, if you Dustshoot your opp and see waboku and mirror force is the only spell or trap. And then your opp set one of them. I will know which one is it by seeing the slight bent.

If it bent, then it's a MF, if it's not then waboku.

Well, that's only one of "rarity matters" thing that I experienced. How about you guys?

Draku
01-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Rarity matters if it's hobby league and extremely thick, other than that it usually doesn't really matter.

Nomad_Skies
01-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Like what nomad said.

Plus, if you are running 2 different dd warrior ladies, and you use warrior returning alive to get one to your hand and you play the other one, the opponent now knows that you hold a dd warrior lady. If you mess up on something like this, you might want to keep the rarities the same.

I don't remember what "returning" card was involved, but I made this mistake a few weeks ago with my Gold Edition D.D. Warrior Lady. My opponent was like wait, I swear that was a common!

austinb12
01-21-2010, 12:00 AM
yeah it is easier to draw parallel rares because when your opponent cuts it get stuck to the top. like when yugi dueled that on guy with dark magician.

Enzan
01-21-2010, 04:55 AM
yeah it is easier to draw parallel rares because when your opponent cuts it get stuck to the top. like when yugi dueled that on guy with dark magician.

I'm soo buying Parallel Rare Heavy Storm now :D

monkmo89
01-21-2010, 05:31 AM
Is that parrell rare thing true?

Fever
01-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Is that parrell rare thing true?

Yeah it is..................

ancientguard
01-21-2010, 01:18 PM
My friend said that after he changed his Heavy Storm to Parallel from Common, he almost always draws it early.

Too small to be considered.
But you can use a foil to reflect light.

monkmo89
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
why do you quote like that?

Enzan
01-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I just tested Stratos Ultra vs Stratos Rare and Heavy Storm Parallel vs Heavy Storm Common.

Somehow my deck got the foil version much more often than my friend's that used common ones.

Now I'm in dilemma. I don't want to believe that rarity matters, but my playing yesterday showed me otherwise. :-/

MasterYubel
01-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Except with Arkana, he trimmed the edge of his Dark Magician cards so they'd appear on top.

Euphoria
01-22-2010, 08:05 PM
don't run 6 parallel gadgets unless a lot of your deck is parallel or holo'fied.

Opponents will stack multiple gadget hands for you, and you'll draw them naturally more

Chaos Corps
01-22-2010, 08:10 PM
It's possible the weight variations could create different results. I don't know how it works tho. I mean, do all the T16 at SJC's have holod out decks?

Phantom6
01-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Only in RARE cases.

;)

zachandbro
01-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I would rather have the lower rareity it makes it easier for me to get it. But if that's the only rarirty and i need it, I don't have a choice.
Rareity isn't important unless ur a LS player "holoing out" your deck.

BondageMaster
01-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Rarity is the only thing that matters If you are a Pimp Like Me.
Supreme Fairies Rarity Make my Deck so Shinnny that I'm losing my sight for Dueling.

If drawing Paralles of a bunch of commons is easier People will kill to have a parallel or Ultra Eatos just to always summon her in their first turn for free. But Since I'm not poor and all my cards are ultra, ultimate, ghost, parallels rares I will not Notice the difference. XD

SmoshX
01-22-2010, 11:51 PM
If you wanna pimp out your deck, then yes!

Luinath
01-23-2010, 04:05 AM
I don't think it really matters how rare the card is, but it's just plainly up to the person using it.

monkmo89
01-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Playing a common card is just the same as playing a secet rare card no difference

Yussa Tampon
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
parallel rares are thicker than other rarity cards. that is a fact.

and I won't begin to doubt that there are tricks you can pull with them.

zachandbro
01-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Lol.
Some people prefer that the game should just have all the cards be plain commons. XD

RyannayR
01-24-2010, 12:14 PM
If you're stacking...?

zachandbro
01-24-2010, 12:18 PM
If you're stacking...?

Wouldn't it mean $1 JD's?
$1 DAD's?
XD

RyannayR
01-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Wouldn't it mean $1 JD's?
$1 DAD's?
XD

wat .

zachandbro
01-24-2010, 12:24 PM
wat .

If Yu-Gi-Oh cards were plain commons.
I am sure the guys who like holos would move to Poke'mon.

DragoonD-END
01-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Wow....really? I don't care much for rarity. Hell if they had common Honests, i would trade in the TWED ones i have. Unless we're talkin bout pegasus league,of course.

-My 1st post in a looooooooong time

RyannayR
01-24-2010, 12:28 PM
If Yu-Gi-Oh cards were plain commons.
I am sure the guys who like holos would move to Poke'mon.

It's the cheapest game in the world to play.

I would know, I could play competitively if I gave a ****.

angelic
01-25-2010, 02:48 AM
From what has been tested and said, I think supers are better to play with.

themac339
01-25-2010, 05:53 AM
I play with whatever I have or can afford. Common cards play the exact same as foil cards. My common Heavy Storm plays no different than the ones I pulled out of Gold seris. I'll admit that foil cards look better, but if you have a common it will do. One of the nerds that I play with said that he likes foil versions because they intimidate his opponents, I have never been intimidated by a foil card. Sometimes I play with common versions just because everyone else has to have the foil version.

mikluemp
01-25-2010, 06:58 AM
I just saw an ultra Chaos Sorcerer at my local this week, and I must admit it does look pretty nice. Not a hundred dollars nice. I don't think I'd be willing to pay more than around $5 or so for an upgraded rarity of a card I already have.

ZanoShiran
01-25-2010, 07:26 AM
From what has been tested and said, I think supers are better to play with.

I wonder if that's the reason a friend of mine wants supers of everything. He's probably stalking me on this thread as we speak >.>

zachandbro
01-25-2010, 07:33 AM
It's the cheapest game in the world to play.

Are u sure ur telling me u can aford 5 JD's that r $80 each?
You know, the pro players get anything while some players r trying like me I don't always have money.

ZanoShiran
01-25-2010, 07:35 AM
You know, the pro players get anything while some players r trying like me I don't always have money.

he was talkin about pokemon

Sheek
01-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Like someone mentioned earlier, when you want to keep the number of copies of a particular card you're running difficult for your opponent to figure out, then running the copies of that card in the same rarity can be important.

Aside from that, the rarity of the cards in your deck doesn't matter at all a fair game. Unless the opponent wants to stack, or, in a worst case scenario, steal, then the rarity is meaningless. Of course, having a shiny deck can give some bragging rights ;)

ZanoShiran
01-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Like someone mentioned earlier, when you want to keep the number of copies of a particular card you're running difficult for your opponent to figure out, then running the copies of that card in the same rarity can be important.

Aside from that, the rarity of the cards in your deck doesn't matter at all a fair game. Unless the opponent wants to stack, or, in a worst case scenario, steal, then the rarity is meaningless. Of course, having a shiny deck can give some bragging rights ;)

well, since no one stacks in this game, rarity doesn't matter, oh wait....

RyannayR
01-25-2010, 05:54 PM

he was talkin about pokemon

. .

ZanoShiran
01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
idk .

treeborn for game?
01-25-2010, 06:20 PM
I almost always draw my ultimate rare Machine Duplication with a super rare Cyber Valley and hobby league Heavy Storm in my opening hand.