PDA

View Full Version : Need Clarification Skill Drain Ruling

User#1337
12-10-2005, 02:24 AM
I looked up the rulings for it on the site. But the wording is kind of weird when it comes to whether it can negate flip effects when they're attacked. It says that it negates flip effects, but I can't chain Skill Drain to a flip effect that was activated because a monster was attacked face-down. I'm not sure if it means chaining as in flipping over the card itself, or if it means just using the effect. So my question is.
Does Skill Drain negate the effect of a flip effect monster destroyed by another monster in battle?
Also, does Skill Drain negate the effect of something like DD Assailant if you attacked it while it was face down?
Thanks in advance.
::Edit::
What about Spirit Reaper? Is it able to be killed in battle if it's attacked while face down?

Jemery
12-10-2005, 02:27 AM
1)no
2)yes

flame_champion
12-10-2005, 02:39 AM
off the UDE FAQ.

"Skill Drain" will negate Flip Effects, and you can chain the activation of "Skill Drain" to the activation of a Flip Effect, but you cannot activate "Skill Drain" in the Damage Step because it does not specifically modify ATK or DEF, so you cannot chain "Skill Drain" to a Flip Effect that is activated because a monster was attacked while face-down.

1) skill drain will negate the effects of flip monsters, provided that it has already been set. You can also chain skill drain to the activation of a flip effect to negate it. but if you attack it, you CANNOT prevent the activation of said effect.

2. if you attack DDA while it's face down, it gets flipped up. If skill drain is in play, DDA's effect will be negated. If your opponent tries to activate DDA's effect, you can also chain skill drain to it since the effect activates AFTER the damage step.

Just remember you can't chain it during the damage step.^_^

Dark VADOR
12-10-2005, 03:36 AM
If the effect of DDA activates after the damage step, when the monster is destroyed, is it still on the field? If no, skill drain does not negate DDA's effect...
It is not like DDWL who activates after damage calculation...

flame_champion
12-10-2005, 03:59 AM
the effect activates while it's on the field. it's not like tomato, sangan or exiled force where it activates in the graveyard.

Trowa_B
12-10-2005, 08:14 AM
The effect of "D.D. Assailant" activates in the Damage Step. It may be after damage calculations, but it is still in the Damage Step.

Okay, here's how it goes:

First, you should understand that you don't 'activate' the effect of "Skill Drain". It's a Continuous Effect that is always active as long as the card is face-up on the field. All you do is activate the card itself.

That being said, you cannot activate "Skill Drain" during the Damage Step. So if you attack a monster, whether it be a Flip Effect Monster or DDA, you cannot activate "Skill Drain" at this point to negate its effect.

However, if "Skill Drain" is already active on the field and you attack a Flip Effect Monster or DDA, their effects activate while they are face-up on the field and will be negated by "Skill Drain". This of course, barring any outside effects that could make it where they're not face-up on the field any more.

User#1337
12-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Okay, thanks for the answers. I think I have it now. It won't negate flip effects if they're killed in battle, and the same goes for DDA?
Just so I won't waste space with another thread and since it's related. What about Spirit Reaper? Is it able to be killed in battle if it's attacked while face down? Thanks for all the help.

Trowa_B
12-10-2005, 01:33 PM
-_-;

An active "Skill Drain" WILL negate the effects of Flip Effect monsters and it WILL negate the effect of "D.D. Assailant". Both effects activate and resolve on the field, even when the monster is destroyed as a result of battle.

"Spirit Reaper" can be destroyed in battle while "Skill Drain" is active on the field.

User#1337
12-10-2005, 01:38 PM
-_-;

An active "Skill Drain" WILL negate the effects of Flip Effect monsters and it WILL negate the effect of "D.D. Assailant". Both effects activate and resolve on the field, even when the monster is destroyed as a result of battle.

"Spirit Reaper" can be destroyed in battle while "Skill Drain" is active on the field.
lol, I'm so stupid. :p Sorry bout that, thanks for the rulings though. I needed to get em 100% accurate for my deck. :D