PDA

View Full Version : Mind Crush: What can and cant it do?

Chaos Pancake
10-19-2011, 02:59 AM
1) Can I chain Mind Crush to any of these cards to stop there effect from happening: Honest, Effect Veiler, Herald of Orange Light, Tragoedia, Gorz the Emissary of Darkness? On each of the cases if so why and if not why not and on the Herald of Orange Light example if it can stop the effect does the opponent have to discard a second fairy still?

2) Mind Crush vs Pot of Duality, Reinforcement of the Army. Of course I cannot chain Mind Crush to these cards as Mind Crush would happen 1st but when can I use Mind Crush?

Example A: My opponent plays Pot of Duality and takes Dark Hole and then wants to play Dark Hole straight away is there a place on this chain of events I could play Mind Crush to make my opponent discard Dark Hole?

Example B: My opponent plays Reinforcement of the Army takes Elemental Hero Stratos and wants to summon him immediately. Do I have a window in which to play Mind Crush?

3) At my locals someone once pronounced a card name wrong and then could not spell it. Leading to an argument over whether he should get the effect or not. However he had just seen the opponents hand via and effect and it was clear what card he meant. What are the rulings on this?

Thanks for your help!!

magicknight94
10-19-2011, 03:04 AM
1)

Honest: No. For 2 reasons: You cannot active MC in damage step and Honest sends itself to grave for cost, it is too late for MC.

Herald/Veiler: No. They sent themselves to grave for cost, it is too late for MC.

Tragoedia: No. You cannot active MC in damage step.

Gorz: If Gorz is actived when your opp take battle damage in damage step, you cannot use MC. If you opp take effect damage outside damage step and uses Gorz, you can.

2) After POD resolve, a reponse window will be opened. In this window, either player can active any Spell Speed 2 or more effect, before turn-player regain his normal priority to active Normal Spell/Summom/Set/etc.

Get it?

Masterdramon
10-19-2011, 03:10 AM
You cannot activate Mind Crush in the Damage Step. With that in mind...

1A) Honest activates in the Damage Step, so no. Also, sending it to the Graveyard is a cost, so it wouldn't work anyway (i.e. by the time you could chain Mind Crush, Honest is already in the Graveyard rather than the hand).

1B) Effect Veiler sends itself to the Graveyard as a cost, so no.

1C) Herald of Orange Light sends itself and another Fairy to the Graveyard as a cost, so no.

1D) Tragoedia activates in the Damage Step, so no.

1E) Only if Gorz the Emissary of Darkness' effect is triggered by Effect Damage outside of the Damage Step. So if you attack your opponent directly and they activate Gorz' Trigger Effect, you cannot chain Mind Crush because it is the Damage Step, but if you activate Sparks in your Main Phase 1 or 2 and they activate Gorz' Trigger Effect, you can indeed chain Mind Crush and call out Gorz' name in order to prevent it from coming out.

2) As soon as a chain resolves, the Turn Player has priority to activate a Spell Speed or higher effect right afterward in response, and then the opponent does. This response window must close before the Turn Player is again granted the general priority necessary to activate a Spell Speed 1 Effect or Summon a monster. It is in this response window that you can use Mind Crush and call out the name of the searched card.

So yes, in both examples you would be able to discard Dark Hole/Elemental Hero Stratos before they could be played.

Hope this helps! :)

EDIT: >sips a cup of calming jasmine tea, pets his 47 baby monk seals, and returns to reading the majority and dissenting opinions on National Labor Relations Board v. Jones & Laughlin Steel Corp.<

Chaos Pancake
10-19-2011, 03:30 AM
Awesome thank you for you clear and well explained answers!

NotEnoughGolds
10-19-2011, 03:34 AM
Since the other guys answered for all those cards that you can't chain Mind Crush to in order to stop the effect, here are some where you can (unless your opponent somehow finds a way to activate these in the damage step):
T.G. Warwolf
Doppelwarrior
Dark Simorgh
Gallis the Star Beast
Genex Ally Birdman
Chaos Hunter

OneManShow
10-19-2011, 03:36 AM
You could chain Mind Crush to Genex Birdman's ignition effect. Pro move right there. :p

Edit: Eoooow epicly ninja'd

NotEnoughGolds
10-19-2011, 03:43 AM
For the last question, I'm fairly certain that the names, stats, and effects of all Yu-Gi-Oh! cards are available to everyone, so remembering the exact card name should not matter (if you remembered only a partial name, or the effect, you could hypothetically look it up, and therefore should not be punished for not memorizing the card name).

A friend of mine was ruled against in a duel (at regionals) where he Compulsed/Crushed Raiza the Storm Monarch, but only called "Raiza" as he couldn't remember which Monarch it was (judge ruled that Mind Crush failed in this scenario). I'm fairly certain this ruling was wrong and told my friend he should have appealed.

Of course, Redshift or Ness would know more about this. Ruling Ninja go!

Chaos Pancake
10-19-2011, 04:06 AM
It was my first encounter of Mind Crush was happening on a another table while I was dueling someone else. Someone searched Master Hyperion using The Agent of Mystery - Earth (and the feild spell) his opponent played Mind Crush and said sommit like master Hip-ron and the guy goes no I don't have it after a "yes you do" he was like no thats called Master Hyperion. Very anal, he got the eff in the end though. If the agent guy was correct what about people with speech impediments?

Neonian
10-19-2011, 04:19 AM
It was my first encounter of Mind Crush was happening on a another table while I was dueling someone else. Someone searched Master Hyperion using The Agent of Mystery - Earth (and the feild spell) his opponent played Mind Crush and said sommit like master Hip-ron and the guy goes no I don't have it after a "yes you do" he was like no thats called Master Hyperion. Very anal, he got the eff in the end though. If the agent guy was correct what about people with speech impediments?
He wasnt right.
You only need to make sure both players understand what card you mean.

magicknight94
10-19-2011, 04:19 AM
After he search Master Hyperion, you can active MC before he can summon that monster.

Chaos Pancake
10-19-2011, 04:32 AM
He wasnt right.
You only need to make sure both players understand what card you mean.

Same would be true of the Raiza the Storm Monarch ruling then.

aiwotorimodose
10-19-2011, 04:47 AM
Same would be true of the Raiza the Storm Monarch ruling then.
err, what?
raiza return targeted card to top of owner deck. Mind Crush can be activated even before entering main phase.

Chaos Pancake
10-19-2011, 05:19 AM
err, what?
raiza return targeted card to top of owner deck. Mind Crush can be activated even before entering main phase.

No I was talking about some thing higher up. Notenoughgods had a friend who said "raiza" and not "raiza the storm monarch" and a judge ruled that this was a failed Mind Crush. It's looking like the judge was wrong.

aiwotorimodose
10-19-2011, 05:34 AM
No I was talking about some thing higher up. Notenoughgods had a friend who said "raiza" and not "raiza the storm monarch" and a judge ruled that this was a failed Mind Crush. It's looking like the judge was wrong.
as long as he can distinc the card from other then it won't be a problem.
there is no other card with "raiza" in its name other than Raiza the Storm Monarch for now.

ness00
10-19-2011, 11:32 AM
as long as he can distinc the card from other then it won't be a problem.
there is no other card with "raiza" in its name other than Raiza the Storm Monarch for now.

Exactly.

And as mentioned above, you can ask a judge for the full name of the WIND Monarch, or the Monarch who puts a Card on top of the Deck, or even "the green one". This is more time consuming, so it is accepted that as long as both players can identify the declared Card, even by fragments of its name or its description, one should proceed to resolve Mind Crush with that declared name.

DarkRulerNecro
02-23-2012, 01:57 AM
ok so this might be a stupid question but with min crush's "random discard" effect how does that work do i have to put my cards face down on the table and shuffle or do i just pick a card from my hand or something

Shadoune
02-23-2012, 03:04 AM
ok so this might be a stupid question but with min crush's "random discard" effect how does that work do i have to put my cards face down on the table and shuffle or do i just pick a card from my hand or something

the easyest way is to let your opponent chose a card in your hand. anything thats random and that your opponent agree on.
You can't choose your own card, that would not be random.

poemi
02-23-2012, 03:57 AM
another common way is putting your card on table then roll a die.

btw, next time create a new thread instead.